WE9 - Post your complaints and disappointments here!

Sulph said:
I dont get that many PKs? if you are playing against a noob friend then maybe, like the ones that hold down R1 + X + [] the whole game to defend.

Sigh.

No. I do admit that I only play on 4 stars difficulty, but I still get a lot of PK's called for me. I try to keep possession a lot when I get into the box, though... that does the trick for me. The CPU defenders in this game is a lot more aggressive... lot of times, they just bowl me over.

fantomas23 said:
fancy a LSB go to the middle of the pitch near the box.

Riise/R.Carlos/A.Cole 3 of the best, and they all move to the middle on occasions to pick up the play. Only inexperienced full-backs always overlap the midfielder.This variation shows that the players are thinking (well not really thinking but you know what I mean). Also if you always attack down the wings, the fullbacks may look for different options to help you out.

k_19 said:
No. I do admit that I only play on 4 stars difficulty, but I still get a lot of PK's called for me. I try to keep possession a lot when I get into the box, though... that does the trick for me. The CPU defenders in this game is a lot more aggressive... lot of times, they just bowl me over.

Just like pes4 where you could win 6 penalties in a single match

kingpug said:
Duh, I use manual, do you think I would moan about them switching on auto?..people here really are clueless.

Listen man, the only time the players switch on manual is when the ball is crossed or passed about by your opponent and initially the nearest man to the ball is selected! I suppose you'd like to go back to the good old days of WE/PES manual control - where you had to switch through ALL 10 of your outfield players before you selected the nearest man to the ball yourself.

*shakes head* And you're calling ME clueless?!???

Is it me or does the Red gives fouls for absolutely everything. I dont know if there better on 5 or 6* but on 4* u get a foul every ten seconds.

Very annoying, this could of been implemented better!!!

Can you tell me if CPU tries to score or if you have 11 opponents waiting you in the box?
Is there a lot of 0-0.
0 goal for me is not a problem, I can progress (I hope...) but if CPU is not able to score it can be quickly boring...

Hey guys,

I fınd myself ın an unfortunate sıtuatıon where ı was forced to go on vacatıon on the same day as konamıs new lovebaby was born. As a result ı only got the chance to play two games agaınst a mate. So here ı am ın turkey tryıng to get as much ınfo on the game as ı can and prepare to play ıt to death when ı get back. All these complaınts were worryıng me a bıt untıl an other member poınted out that most of these shortcomıngs ın the game were prımarıly affectıng people who are playıng matches agaınst cpu controlled teams. The only thıngs that bothered me durıng my rıdıculously short sessıon wıth thıs game was that

1) the ref was stoppıng the play a lot because of fouls commıtted (maybe we should just defend ın a more cautıous and ıntellıgent way?)
2) the strange camera vıew on wıde (on the oppısıte sıde of the fıeld)
3) sometımes my players would make a run and then stop ın theır tracks when ı selected them (ıs there a way around thıs?)

Apart from thıs ı really really lıked what ı saw and was heartbroken when ı had to say goodbeye

My questıon ıs:
Am ı rıght to say that most of the numerous complaınts ın thıs thread are ındeed not as much as a problem for people that prımarıly play agaınst theır mates?

What happened to passing in this series? It has gotten progressively worse since WE8. In all previous versions passing was crisp and tight, while passing in WE9 and WE8LE is terribly inacurrate. About a third of all my passes are to the wrong person on my team, usually the guy who's triple marked (conspiracy?). I rely on a short passing game, so this really fucks me over.

There were gameplay problems with this game, but Konami seems to have shunned that in favor of cosmetic changes. Yay! I can do the flip flap now, so I can just ignore the shitty passing, crossing, and heading!

Also, a foul against me does not equal a foul against the CPU. Great fun that is.

Worse WE ever.

I fully agree with you.

Ive been playing this series for years now, starting on the ps1.

I've always been a huge fan of the gameplay. Due to that i even put up
with the terrible atmosphere of the game (no real names, licenses etc.)
Good that there are patches for that.

Ive played about 40 games now, and must say im very disappointed with this version. As you said passing has gotten worse. Getting to the point where i can actually shoot on the goal is terribly difficult.

Now i dont mind realism of course. And im sure everyone will say im not a good player. But i play a lot of games against the CPU, and find it just isnt as fun as it used to be. I have no problem playing a stong cpu opponent, in fact i love it. Dont mind loosing a game or 2 as long as both me and the cpu had to fight hard.

But these countless fouls that the ref blow for, they really start to bug me. Especially when the cpu throws me off the ball and no wistle.

Again, i dont mind a strong cpu or loosing a game, but the way it is in this version is not fun at all.
All im doing now is making short passes, trying hard to reach another player. Most of the game seems to take place in midfield with 1 or 2 chances for a shot on goal.

I will try this version for a few more days, cause i want to see if it grows on me. If not i will go back to we8le and hope that pes5 will be better then we9.
Im sure many ppl will not agree with this, but for me this really is the 1st time that a new version is just not good.

After playing the game for a while I am also getting annoyed by the automatic sidestep move. It just doesn't feel right that EVERY player, skilled or unskilled acutually do it with the ball and succeed every time. I hope they get rid of it in the next version. Other than that I can't say there are many bads to the game.

jmh470 said:
What happened to passing in this series? It has gotten progressively worse since WE8. In all previous versions passing was crisp and tight, while passing in WE9 and WE8LE is terribly inacurrate. About a third of all my passes are to the wrong person on my team, usually the guy who's triple marked (conspiracy?). I rely on a short passing game, so this really fucks me over.

There were gameplay problems with this game, but Konami seems to have shunned that in favor of cosmetic changes. Yay! I can do the flip flap now, so I can just ignore the shitty passing, crossing, and heading!

Also, a foul against me does not equal a foul against the CPU. Great fun that is.

Worse WE ever.

It think passing is a lot more responsive now , especially :x: , also the duration of button press, actually can be seen clearer now. Light tap, near, long tap further. In previous versions it was not so noticable. I agree, that passing is not 100% all the time, but not troubling me too much that I can't paly the game.

;)

i really hate to say that we9 will not last for long in my ps2. it just doesn't feel addictive anymore. when i think of the ref, it really put me off. it's like playing against 12 players!

konami must be really happy now knowing that we are all waiting for the evolution to fix those annoyances...damn it

I have fucking had it with this so called game, every game is exactly the same, and it is the most boring game I have ever played. Every team defends like Greece, dive like Portugal, attack like Brazil and the refree is biased like an Old Firm for fuck sake!

This game is a disgrace to the series for me, I rarely score because I cant get past 9 of their players in their own box because I ALWAYS get fouled as soon as I hit the button to pass. Back to PES4 I go and I hope PES5 is better in terms of AI, because the way I see it this game has no AI at all, fucking joke.

my disappointments:
1. the defender is too "on track", they run in track that i don;t want them to be. so they run slower and can't intercept the ball from the front
2. the L1 + /\ passing is sh*t man... i tot it was passing acuracy, but beckham did miss, so it must be konami's fault!
3. wrong direction passing method. i press down + X, and he passes to the striker... it would be more terrible when u HOLD the passing button (for farther player). wrong person, wrong direction.
4. cursor change, cursor CAN'T be back to the previous player, must press L1 3 times to go back to the previous player.
5. still can't do L1 technique (early cross, L1+/\, L1+[], long manual pass) in 1st touch (agree with filthydani). as soon as 1 press L1, the cursor changes...

i'm so f*ckin bored, every game is just the same. direct pass n press /\ to the front. no long pass anymore...

WE7: terrible cross
WE8: terrible manual pass
WE9: now the manual pass n the cross is fixed, the L1+/\ is f*cked
what next on WE10? the shooting button will be screwed?
every new series exist new stupid faults/bugs that are not necessary

why don't konami improve the previous version so it will be more perfect version? why do konami people make A NEW GAME with NEW BUGS instead of that?
in fact, the previous disappointment is not fixed:
1. still can't do L1 technique (from WE4-5-6-7-8-9).
2. the manual (/\+L1) kiper outside the penalty box moves like dumb.
3. i forgot... i'll post it later

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea the defenders seem to have free movement, it makes intercepting passes hard because they always dodge away.

So is just single triangle, always far too much in-front of the player.

Yea I get that sometimes, if someone is at the bottom right and one at right, if I wanted to pas to the bottom right I would press that but I just press right yet the pass goes down?

Yea that is ugely annoying, you have to press L1 alot just to get to the nearest player, it is terrible, time it takes me to get to the player closer to the ball the CPU pass it.

Only way to get past a player on this game is to do 6 step-overs, a 360 degree turn or lift it over their head which is nowhere near realism. In football most of the time it is just a burst of speed which beats a defender, yet on this game speed counts for nothing. And I find it 100% fake doing all these skills constantly everytime I want to get past a player.

oh yeah, the 3rd disapointment that exist from the previous series (that konami people don't fix it) is:
3. manual cursor change. OMG can't they speak english? manual means done manually... i hate when my opponent pass n i have my cursor changed automatically!
yea yea i know the argument would be "u have to change it too imediately to defend". what if the ball doesn't arive? what if the ball hit my man and bounce back to where it were? in old WE (WE6 as i remember) i still have my cursor there and can quickly intercept the ball. but now (from WE7-8-9) my cursor is somewhere else and i have to change it back to where it was...
4. 2 persons freekick is just the same. the 1st type is useless.

oh yes, about the passing method, X now seems like /\ in the previous version. and /\ seems useless when we pass to the right/left (ie: from CMF to LMF/RMF), the ball goes too far. i don't like this, coz when i want to pass in front of the player, i use /\. and when i want to pass right in the player, i use X. now it's like a dice, we don't know where the ball will go when we use X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all of you great fans of Football and WE,I'm a great fan of WE series and PES since PSone specially ISS Pro Evolution and since then i've played them all.I think Konami always seemed to achieve more and more with every release they did and when WE8 LE was out I thought it was impossible to get better, now we have we9 and my first thing I want to say to all of you is that I believe that it's better than WE8 LE that's without discussion. But and there's always a but, after playing over 40 or 50 matches right now, i think it's not quite as addictive as my patched PLF Data WE8 LE, just to be certain of that feeling yesterday i made two games in WE9 and other 2 games in WE8 LE with the same teams and it was outstanding to see how fluid and responsive we8 LE seemed now to me, don't get me wrong i still believe WE9 is better at certain ares of gameplay, specially this new sidestep i think it was a good idea but my overall view of the gameplay of we9 it's that it feels to automatic sometimes, passes and shots can be really good or be very very poor, goalkeepers can be super and defend all, or in the next shot they get a goal that seems way to easy and just passes right next to their hands. I don't know what it is but with every release and the more i played i seemed to fall in love more and more with the games but now with WE9 i'm getting more and more frustrated with the flow of play, I don't really know what to do, give more chances to WE9 or go back to we8 LE, but right now i seem to be heading back and over to WE8 LE. Give me your opinions in this matter and really don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's a bad game or that isn't the better one, but sometimes there's something that seems to be missing in the gameplay, and that is beginning to happen to me as I advance in the game.

At first, I quite liked the new passing in that passes didn't always go straight to the man (although all the AI teams are now brilliant 100% accurate and speedy passers all the time).

But more and more, I'm getting passes just go in completely the wrong direction.

I'm on the left wing at the half way line, I aim across field to my midfielder 15 yards away in the centre circle, but the ball goes diagonally back towards my CB, 35 yards away, of course doesn't reach him, and goes straight to an AI attacker.

I am running forwards in the opposition half, I see I have another midfieder making a run to my right so I aim a nice little through ball for him to run on to just in front of him, but instead, the ball goes shooting off at 90mph towards goal in completely the wrong direction and goes straight to their keeper.Wow, I'm so impressed.

It's like they just deliberately broke the passing system so that they can "fix" it next time. Bring on true 360degree passing so we can decide for ourselves where to pass to!!

Like a growing number of people, I have reached the conclusion that this is the worst WE ever.

Does anyone know any other magazine/website ratings of WE9, other than Famitsu? I'm curious if they play the game enough to realise the downsides, and if they'll just have a glowing review to give to Konami, which will of course result in nothing really being changed for PES5. I think if they had enough media hype that this version had serious flaws in gameplay, maybe they would be forced to implement some fixes.

And for anyone who cares: I've played a lot more now, and am getting better. I've stopped using triangle altogether, which is sad, but it has improved my game. I've never found it hard to dribble, don't know why some people have so much trouble. I now score goals from insdie the box, but they're almost always the back to goal spin and shoot goals, which are rare and not very satisfying. I find that tappign circle lightly kind of chips it ahead, which can be a poor substituion for the old L1+triangle pass. I actually have always like the defending, and don't give up that many fouls. Overall I think i agree with a lot fo the above posts, its just not as fun as WE8:LE. But i'm sticking with my ML, because I watn to see how the development pans out.

beachryan said:
Does anyone know any other magazine/website ratings of WE9, other than Famitsu? I'm curious if they play the game enough to realise the downsides, and if they'll just have a glowing review to give to Konami, which will of course result in nothing really being changed for PES5. I think if they had enough media hype that this version had serious flaws in gameplay, maybe they would be forced to implement some fixes.

And for anyone who cares: I've played a lot more now, and am getting better. I've stopped using triangle altogether, which is sad, but it has improved my game. I've never found it hard to dribble, don't know why some people have so much trouble. I now score goals from insdie the box, but they're almost always the back to goal spin and shoot goals, which are rare and not very satisfying. I find that tappign circle lightly kind of chips it ahead, which can be a poor substituion for the old L1+triangle pass. I actually have always like the defending, and don't give up that many fouls. Overall I think i agree with a lot fo the above posts, its just not as fun as WE8:LE. But i'm sticking with my ML, because I watn to see how the development pans out.

Not yet mate but PS2 and XBOX magazines in the UK will give this silly score of 9.8/10. they never see any flaws. total idiots.

I am interested in Edge's review next month though.

I sticking with my ML as i do like WE9. the amount of freekicks i giving away is really annoying though. Konami screwed up with the refs big time.

This game has more flaws than the empire state building..... The ref is Roger bloody Whitaker, the side stepping is non-stop the shooting has been foiked, Konami don't seem to watch football coz the last time I looked speed, reactions and power were dammed important, massive step back in the bloody catch up while sprinting stakes as well.... speed is a massive part of football like it or not. It’s not netball I don't want to have to put together 40 passes to get passed a defender all the bloody time. Then you find another six in the box.... striker’s track back to defend the six-yard area...its crap!!
I'm praying EA come out with a top FIFA 06 coz Konami have got complacent beyond belief and it may be the kick up the arse they need.
As I'm sure PES5 will be the same, a tweak here, a f@~k up the game play there..... Stand back look at what’s out there get your fingers out and do a proper update.. and for Pete’s sake get a proper cup and league system in you lazy gits I don't care if it's Licenced.
Time moves on and not at a snails pace like in Konami land.
Ahhhhh.... that will be £35 please, now what can we tweak for WE ah yes new wristband colours, a double jinking sidestep and two more stadiums.... That will be £36 please. Kerrrrrrchingggggg££££££££

LOL right on m8, they will fix the sidetsep and fouls and then add more bugs so we keep buying this game all the time.

I really hope FIFA06 is better, just goes to show really, WE/PES is utter shit but it is 900 millions times better than FIFA, shame really.

People say speed will ruin the game and all that, well rubbish to that, do you think Henry puts weights down his shorts just so he runs at the same pace as everyone else? I never actually thought they could make the AI worse, but boy oh boy have they done it, 6 new licenses, granny gameplay and a ton of the most annoying bugs makes this game superb eh?

I hope to god I grow to love it like I have most of the incarns and just wince shout and moan at the faults, but they are so big slap face, kick in the nuts bad and annoying I fear it's gonna be WE8L till the next gen systems...... Go FIFA, Christ that’s bad...

I really wnated to like this game, I even went out and spend £130 buying a new slimline PS2 and swapmagic because it didnt run good on my old PS2.

People go on about these amazing new additions, yea some of it is true, but like I said in another post these are put down by the terrible flaws, it is like FIFA, it is ridden with licenses yet the game is put down because the gameplay is abysmal.

Ah well, suppose I will just edit the game and play single matches, just as I thought the ML was full of shit with cheating AI, shame.

Back
Top Bottom