UEFA Champion's League 08/09 - discussion thread

yeah, I totally agree.. Messi is incredible when with the ball.. the way he pass the markers without even make an effort, looks to easy, the ball kinda sticks to his foot, idk ;p

against B.Munich he was on all of the 4 goals.. he did the first and 4th, passed to Eto'o on the 2nd, and was carrying the ball 'til he was "tackled" by Van Bommel (who really deserved a yellow card, at least) on the 4th goal play..

if he continues playing like this, winning La Liga and going far on the UCL, for sure he'll get the Best Player Award..
imo he just didnt win last year cuz he was injuried for a long time on the season.

I also watched Liverpool v Chelsea, Gerrard was so silent in this game and I believe that's why they struggled. Riera was useless last night, and Dossena was abysmal!
thats for sure, when Gerrard is on his day, the team plays much better.. by that I really think that, if he "decide" to play his best after Chelsea on Stanford Bridge, they'll get the place on the Semi-finals..

if he continues playing like this, winning La Liga and going far on the UCL, for sure he'll get the Best Player Award..
imo he just didnt win last year cuz he was injuried for a long time on the season.

Not really. Barcelona didn't win any trophies. Thats the major reason why Messi missed out on the Ballon D'or and all those other awards. Your team has to WIN trophies. With that said, Barcelona are gonna do the business and win this damn thing.:))

Not really. Barcelona didn't win any trophies. Thats the major reason why Messi missed out on the Ballon D'or and all those other awards. Your team has to WIN trophies. With that said, Barcelona are gonna do the business and win this damn thing.:))
yeah, but its a consequence.. Messi was off for a long time cuz of injuries, if he was playing maybe Barça would have gone further in the competitions..

yeah, but its a consequence.. Messi was off for a long time cuz of injuries, if he was playing maybe Barça would have gone further in the competitions..

I'm not sure I follow you here. If I recall correctly Messi played in both legs of the semi-final against Manchester last year. Not sure what his status was in the Copa.

I'm not sure I follow you here. If I recall correctly Messi played in both legs of the semi-final against Manchester last year. Not sure what his status was in the Copa.

Yes, but he was just recovered from an injury and he was not really fit and lacking in pace. If he had been really fit as he was 2 weeks later, I think in both games we would have seen a very different result. But injuries play a part in this game. He has learnt to avoid them this year by controlling his power. Let's hope he doesn't brake before the end of the season.

Messi is a better player than Ronaldo no doubt but to say Messi is "Fair" isnt right, both players have a history of cheating.

Another thing is Messi didnt win the Ballon D'or last year because Ronaldo was better, Messi only played 3-4 games less than Ronaldo last year, Scoring 42 goals with one in the final of the CL to help your team win the double, he clearly deserved to be named the best.

Exactly. Ronaldo deserved the trophy, and only Ronaldo.
Saying Messi WOULD'VE won it if it hadn't been for injuries is just strengthening the fact. He was injured and thus not able to show half of what he's capable of, so he didn't deserve to win it.

Yes, but he was just recovered from an injury and he was not really fit and lacking in pace. If he had been really fit as he was 2 weeks later, I think in both games we would have seen a very different result. But injuries play a part in this game. He has learnt to avoid them this year by controlling his power. Let's hope he doesn't brake before the end of the season.

He looked fit to me, especially in the 2nd leg where he ran circles around the United defense. Barca controlled the game. They just couldn't finish.

yeah i remember bouncin off the walls during that game. barca deserved to win that night. and messi could have won the award if they did.

So here we are again, another semi final made up of 3 English teams and Barca.

Dreading the possibility of facing either Chelsea or Barca if we get through. We beat both on the way to victory but history rarely seems to repeat itself. I cant see us beating either team for the second time.

I feel the same, mate. Arsenal, Barca and Chelsea right now are the last three teams I'd want to face in the world at the moment. Whoever wins now will definately deserve it.
In a weird way, I feel kinda embarrassed to even be in the semis with the kinda of form we've currently been in. Almost as if we dont deserve to be there.

Come on guys, Barcelona is the only team that can beat Man Utd...IMHO Chelsea were dreadfull in that "wonderfull" 4-4 semi-final...i saw a lot of sloppy defending and mistakes in that "match of the century".

I enjoyed it hugely, but don't tell me that was a match between two teams who can beat Man Utd...

Liverpool beat us 4-1 (:(() Chelsea beat them 3-1 and were JT pen away from winning the CL last year. I think any of the 4 left can beat each other, it just depends on things such as form and fitness which at the moment were probably bottom off out the 4.

Come on guys, Barcelona is the only team that can beat Man Utd...IMHO Chelsea were dreadfull in that "wonderfull" 4-4 semi-final...i saw a lot of sloppy defending and mistakes in that "match of the century".

I enjoyed it hugely, but don't tell me that was a match between two teams who can beat Man Utd...

you're very blinkered if you think Chelsea can't beat Man Utd. United are a great side but they're far from unbeatable, especially if Chelsea play at their proper level.

We beat Man U 2-1 (Anfield) and 4-1 (Old Trafford)
we also beat Chelsea 2-0 (Anfield) and 1-0 (Stamford Bridge)

Chelsea are fully capable of beating both United and Barcelona.

Should be interesting games, think Chelsea will give Barca a tough game especially with Drogba hitting form.

Man U and Arsenal will be close but I fancy Man U.

Loved the Pool v Chelsea game, great excitement although laden with mistakes. Good fun for the viewer though.

FD

I also think Chelsea will beat Barcelona for some reason know. Guardiola's team is out in the open, anyone here right now could pick his line up and the way Barca will play. Hiddink on the other hand is very good tactically.

I think it will come down to how Hiddink looks to stop Messi. if he can and get Drogba 1 on 1 with Pique/Puyol then they can win.

I also think Chelsea will beat Barcelona for some reason know. Guardiola's team is out in the open, anyone here right now could pick his line up and the way Barca will play. Hiddink on the other hand is very good tactically.

I think it will come down to how Hiddink looks to stop Messi. if he can and get Drogba 1 on 1 with Pique/Puyol then they can win.

Don't forget you have to stop Iniesta, Etoo and Xavi to really do damage to barcelona. But yes, it will be the most difficult matches for us this year and my only fear is Drogba, specially combined with the long passing precision of Lampard. The weak spot of Barcelona is not 1 vs 1 defendin, is defending long range passes to the back of MArquez / Pique, specially if the striker is strong and does good diagonal movements, and Drogba has all this.

Back
Top Bottom