1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

UEFA Champion's League 08/09 - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Football' started by ThomasGOAL, 19 December 2008.

1. ThomasGOAL

ThomasGOAL Retired Footballer

15 March 2003
    France
    UEFA Champion's League 08/09 - discussion thread

UEFA Champions League Draw

Villareal vs. Arsenal
    Manchester United vs. FC Porto
    Liverpool vs. Chelsea
    FC Barcelona vs. Bayern Munchen

Last edited: 20 March 2009
  2. DagsJT

DagsJT Retired Footballer

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    Happy enough with that. Real aren't in their best form (although they have some time to turn that around) and obviously Rafa will have a good knowledge of them.

3. ThomasGOAL

ThomasGOAL Retired Footballer

15 March 2003
    France
    Nice to see the Italians vs English dual and the big heads war between C.Ronaldo vs Zlatan, and the impossible mission for Lyon

4. Zeem

Zeem Wonder Boy

15 July 2006
    AC Milan
    WOO! Inter and Man Utd. What a game! I pictured that to be the final or something. Should be a great encounter as we all know the champions Man Utd and Inter who this year I consider the toughest side in Europe. You will see what I mean. When they want to win they will. I think they might even crush Man Utd since Ibra, MAicon and Muntari never EVER miss a chance:DD

5. oNeberlin

oNeberlin League 2

21 August 2007
    Germany
    Chelsea v Juventus 1:0

Villarreal v Panathinaikos 1:1

Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich 0:5 :CONFUSE: :...

Atletico Madrid v FC Porto 2:2

Lyon v Barcelona 1:1

Real Madrid v Liverpool 0:1

Arsenal v Roma 1:0

Inter Milan v Manchester United 0:0

6. The_Special_One

The_Special_One #helpmemeetgenie

17 August 2007
    Lovely Estoril
    #geniearmy
    Sporting fans still think their team is a big club in Europe. :LMAO:

7. cooler

cooler League 2

13 January 2009
    After this weeks results, here are my predictions for the 2nd legs.

Juventus 1-1 Chelsea

Panathinaikos 0-1 Villarreal

Bayern Munich 3-1 Sporting Lisbon

FC Porto 2-0 Atletico Madrid

Barcelona 2-0 Lyon

Liverpool 0-0 Real Madrid

Roma 1-0 Arsenal (Roma win on pens)

Manchester United 2-0 Inter Milan

8. bigstuie

bigstuie kit making extraudinaire

6 October 2006
    uk/merseyside
    liverpool fc
    0-0 at anfield are you mad lol, it'll be a 5 goal thriller im tellin ye

9. Sean

Sean Championship

30 October 2006
    United Road
    Manchester United
    I have to agree I mean you only have to look at Manchester United vs Madrid a few years back Utd were 3-1 down from the first leg and won the second leg 5-3 i think only to go out :( Utd have a good opportunity to beat Inter but I just fear a scoring draw which would send us out.. Sporting are definately out might as well send out a reserve team.

10. Revan

Revan out the window

8 August 2003
    Madeira, Portugal.
    FC Porto
    It's funny indeed, but I'm worried about the repercussions it will have on the country ranking. Less teams in 10/11. Hope Porto and Braga can keep up their game on the CL and UEFA CUP respectively.

11. gerd

gerd Retired Footballer

8 January 2002
    Over the moon
    KRC Genk, Spurs
    I think this is a very subjective posting...i'm not a Sportinjg fan, i'm not even Portugese but i think Sporting IS a great club with all the great players they gave to football...

Besides that, i remember AC Milan being absolutely being outplayed by Deportiva La Coruna a couple of years ago...still i think nobody will argue that they are not a big European club...

Sporting collapsed totally but that happens...it can alos happen to Benfica or Porto or Barcelona or other big clubs.

I think you are jealous that Sporting is doing beter than Benfica this year...

12. Rentalkid

Rentalkid Premiership

5 August 2003
    Germany
    The match wasn't even that one-sided.
    The first half was 50-50, maybe even with advantages for Sporting. But when they conceded the second goal it seemed like they totally lost all hope and stopped playing altogether.

I hope the guys don't over-rate this victory, unless they plan to lose their fourth Bundesliga game out of five this Sunday in Bremen.

Bremen kicking out Milan yesterday was the real shocker for me. Down 0:2 and still managed to come back ... should be a classy match (as always) in Bremen.

13. The_Special_One

17 August 2007
    Lovely Estoril
    #geniearmy
    I understand your point of view my friend. I must admit I was joking about Sporting, they are a great club and I really support them in those european clashes (the damn country ranking). However, as you well said, Sporting is mainly known because of the young talent players they produce. If you check their european campaigns you can't find a big win, I mean, victories against top teams (ok they were in UEFA Cup final in 2005 lost in Alvalade against CSKA Moscow). Benfica and Porto, especially this one, have achieved great results recently. That's the difference. Sporting have no status in the world of football different the other two portuguese giants.

And we are 3 points ahead in league! :P

About Bayern München I hope they beat Bremen. I can't find a damn Bayern's shirt here in my town! :RANT:

14. PLF

PLF Legend

2 August 2004
    Who's the girl in your avatar pal? yum yum!! :P

Gotta say the Sporting result shocked me as well!

I"m most curious about the 2nd leg of Porto and Atletico now though. Will the Madrid club use its new found confidence after outdoing Barca and all of its talented squad's potential to fullest in their visit to Portugal and take them to Q-finals? Or will Porto's far superior experience in CL be a big factor and that combined with playing this 2nd one at home, take the Portuguese through. I have a feeling it might be the latter but hope for an impressive and exciting match with both teams showcasing their very best.

15. gerd

gerd Retired Footballer

8 January 2002
    Over the moon
    KRC Genk, Spurs
    That is also the match i'm most looking forward too PLF...i hope Atletico can qualify but i think Porto will...they have more team spirit.

The other interesting matches: Man Utd - Inter and Barcelona - Lyon.

I think Lyon still have chance to qualify too...

16. Abhishek

Abhishek Best player in the world

29 January 2006
    India
    Liverpool
    Atletico have to be the most fun side to watch in Europe. One of best attacks in the world with one of the worst defenses. Entertainment GUARANTEED :P

I'd love to see them go through. Filled with some of my favorite players like Aguero, Maxi, Simao, and little Luis Garcia.

Hope all the Italian teams go through. Had enough of the "EPL is the best league in the world" bollocks.

Come on Ibra, fucking turn up in Europe this time.

17. YoungGun_UK

YoungGun_UK 20 TIMES!

12 July 2007
    UK
    Manchester United
    Ibra wont turn up mate :LOL: He's a good player but he's never done enough in Europe for some reason. Athetico have the potential to be the dark horses in Europe,

I think Inter have a chance against us but if im honest I just think were a better team then them. Especially with Rooney playing we'll have that edge (he would have got us a goal in Milan)

18. gerd

gerd Retired Footballer

8 January 2002
    Over the moon
    KRC Genk, Spurs
    I would also like to Inter to win, but i agree with YounGun, Zlatan has never delivered on the big occasions...

19. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    it's 3:0 to bayern allready, 39 mins played

20. oNeberlin

oNeberlin League 2

21 August 2007
    Germany
    what the hell sporting... that's a shame. 4:1 on halftime

21. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    6:1, 82"

:) "champions" league my ass.

22. oNeberlin

oNeberlin League 2

21 August 2007
    Germany
    7:1 ... new rekord in the cl.

12:1 after two matches. unbelieveable.

23. PHCOGL

PHCOGL Championship

18 September 2007
    Germany
    Dortmund, Bayreuth
    thomas müller = gerd müller :THINK::THINK::D

24. Aboutreika18

Aboutreika18 Too Black, Too Strong

5 September 2006
    Bayern bloody bumraped Sporting all the way back to Lisbon. :BLINK:

25. Basilis

Basilis Banned

15 November 2008
    Athens, Greece
    Olympiacos
    Panathinaikos was the joke of the day losing at home from Villiarreal while all these days they were sure that they would progress to the quarter finals. It takes more than luck and referee help to reach the stage of 8. And Panathinaikos had only those but nothing more so they became the whore of Europe.

26. Aboutreika18

Aboutreika18 Too Black, Too Strong

5 September 2006
    Well if they're the whore, then WTF is Sporting? :LOL:

27. The_Special_One

17 August 2007
    Lovely Estoril
    #geniearmy
    Sporting should be banned from CL for the next 10 years at least. I'm really ashamed by a team of my country be so bad.

Alinne Moraes is the name of my girl, PLF. :D

Last edited: 10 March 2009
  28. AK.Rabona

AK.Rabona Championship

19 June 2007
    Texas
    Riquelme & Aimar, Arsenal
    Who's gonna match up with who?

29. cucaspp

cucaspp Alvalade XXI

21 March 2003
    Lisbon, Carcavelos
    Yes...
    Vigo, Olimpiakos...memory of Benfica supporters not that god.

Sporting players, and idiot Paulo Bento, mite considerer to stay in Madrid today and not go back to Lisbon

30. Revan

Revan out the window

8 August 2003
    Madeira, Portugal.
    FC Porto
    [​IMG]

can't help myself...