The United States Thread "Road to World Cup 2006"

smango said:
Dime you have great football knowledge, unlike some of the other members posting in here. We are the only two who see how flawed the qualification system is, seeing the likes of the Netherlands and Australia absent from the last world cup was a disgrace.
this is why its called the WORLD CUP, not the EUROPEAN CUP, you already have that, your making my argument easier.... keep it up

footieBalla said:
im thinking since saunders started this thread, you're the one who should move on if you dont like what you see here. there's no point in judging an entire nation from one person you know, or should i say an alias of a person who is american. no doubt you ll be insulting Canadians soon just because it says "Location: Toronto, Canada" underneath my avatar.

-fb
smango doesnt know me, if we met each other and had no idea who we were, we would probably be getting drunk in a pub looking at girls titties, and trying to get laid

i was at this game last night

Teams meet again in Mexico City
Associated Press
WASHINGTON -- D.C. United's first game on a converted baseball field was a tie, a 1-1 draw against Pumas of Mexico on Wednesday night in a first-leg semifinal in the CONCACAF Champions' Cup.

For soccer purposes, the game showed that the U.S. league champion can compete with the Mexican league champion. For logistical purposes, the game was a first test of a unique, complex plan to accommodate two sports at RFK Stadium.

Stands had to be reconfigured, and the infield dirt was replaced with trays of grass during an intense 72-hour changeover following a Washington Nationals exhibition game on Sunday. The sunken pitcher's mound was at the edge of a penalty box, one of the goalkeepers stood along the third-base line to defend his net.

The result was an bouncier-than-normal turf at one end of the field, making every possession a little more adventurous. United defender Mike Petke was the most vocal critic, complaining of a "divot" in front of the net.

"There's probably close to a half-foot drop in front of the goalmouth to the left," Petke said. "There's a hill that runs down. But you can say that until you're blue in the face, the baseball field, this and that. They have to play on it, too. It's just there's so many little things that we've been realizing the last week or two that are changing because the baseball's here. It's almost like we're thrown to second nature."

Christian Gomez scored in the 10th minute for United, and Brazilian midfielder Ailton da Silva's penalty kick tied the game in the 52nd minute before 21,185, an impressive crowd for a non-MLS game. United drew more than 20,000 just three times last season, all in league games.

The second leg of the home-and-home, total goals series is next Wednesday in Mexico City. The winner will play Monterrey of Mexico or Saprissa of Costa Rica in the finals next month, with the champion earning a spot in the world championships in Japan in December.

csaunders said:
It was away game, WE EBAT THEM 6 TO ZERO at home!!!!!!! Do you realize how far it is for say claudio reyna and the restof the european based players to travel from England to PANANMA!!!!!
this aint no short hop on a jet in europe boys, you guys seems to forget that, doyou know waht jet leg does to your body, you probably dont... it WRECKS HAVOC!!!! How would you like to play in front of fans that scream OSAMA! OSAMA! hold signs up that say remember the twin towers, your going down too!!! Or how about "OSAMA stay here, Yankee go home!!" PLaying away in concacaf is very demanding since 90% of the us roster is foreign based players, the european teams dont have this disadvantage, there are more factors in a game then OH PANANMA SUCKS!!! Not to mention the local fans party outside the hotel all night long, and do not allow the US players to get sleep, did you even watch the US Guatamela game?!?!?!?! We dominated, we had two goals called back, and that game could have been 5-0. The point is this, WE DONT LOSE IN CONCACAF, if we did, your guys points would be well taken, but since we dont lose points and we dominate teams we shouldm you guys are going to say we are inferior, your nuts... what else can we do to prove you wrong, go to the qtrs of the world cup, BEEN THERE DONE THAT, semis is next.....

You're making the US look like a world beating team, but the truth is they still struggled against Panama and Jamaica (and I'm sure its more than that, but those were the ones I watched). True it was an away game, but a world class team should be able to play well away from home.

As for the "Osama chants"? They're professionals, and if they can't concentrate on the game they're playing rather than the crowd, they don't deserve to play professionally. It's not as if the chanting was phsyically taking away from thier ability to play. Chanting is part of the game and it happens in every sport, it should not affect the play of professionals.

I'm not trying to insult the team, because they played well at the 2002 World Cup, but its now 2005 and I haven't seen a single outstanding game from them. It's very fortunate there is such poor competition in CONCACAF, otherwise they would have serious trouble contending.

Dime said:
You're making the US look like a world beating team, but the truth is they still struggled against Panama and Jamaica (and I'm sure its more than that, but those were the ones I watched). True it was an away game, but a world class team should be able to play well away from home.

As for the "Osama chants"? They're professionals, and if they can't concentrate on the game they're playing rather than the crowd, they don't deserve to play professionally. It's not as if the chanting was phsyically taking away from thier ability to play. Chanting is part of the game and it happens in every sport, it should not affect the play of professionals.

I'm not trying to insult the team, because they played well at the 2002 World Cup, but its now 2005 and I haven't seen a single outstanding game from them. It's very fortunate there is such poor competition in CONCACAF, otherwise they would have serious trouble contending.
so if chelsea beat norwich 7-1 in a home and away tie, thats a dissapointment?!?!?!?!? i dont get it.... brazil ties bolivia away, england has tied poor teams away, all teams do it, your acting if the world class teams dont, im just stating the facts, we dont lose in concacaf....

But Saunders you have to agree that CONCAF is the very shithouse qualification group second only to Oceania, which looks set to dissapear as Australia look certain to join the Asian football federation

smango said:
But Saunders you have to agree that CONCAF is the very shithouse qualification group second only to Oceania, which looks set to dissapear as Australia look certain to join the Asian football federation
i want you to explain to me how ASIA is better? you cant...

USA beat costa rica 3-0, Landon Donavan was immense, so was demarcus, things are looking real good for 2006!!! The starting lineup had me shocked, convey?pope? wolff? Zavagin? but then found out thet ej and joohny o were out as well as gooch and gibbs.
But as always the Bruce pulled thru and we got the 3 points. Keller was top notch, made about 4 world class saves...

csaunders said:
USA beat costa rica 3-0, Landon Donavan was immense, so was demarcus, things are looking real good for 2006!!! The starting lineup had me shocked, convey?pope? wolff? Zavagin? but then found out thet ej and joohny o were out as well as gooch and gibbs.
But as always the Bruce pulled thru and we got the 3 points. Keller was top notch, made about 4 world class saves...
Great, here I don't have any news about United States national team, but with this match they are placed as leaders over Mexico temporarily.

csaunders said:

Damn, Keller was immense in goal. Some of those saves were the best i have seen since. . . jersy Dudek! lol. I love his confidence in goal. It really made the difference.

Interesting to see the 3-4-3 formation, eh? I actually liked the way it worked. Donovan, who i've been critiical of, played very well. maybe if he's happy in MLS, its all that matters. Beasley had some nice movement> PSV is paying dividends for sure.

After seeing the team play timid v England in the first half last week, it was nice to see some confident attacking footy.

ghazi said:
Damn, Keller was immense in goal. Some of those saves were the best i have seen since. . . jersy Dudek! lol. I love his confidence in goal. It really made the difference.

Interesting to see the 3-4-3 formation, eh? I actually liked the way it worked. Donovan, who i've been critiical of, played very well. maybe if he's happy in MLS, its all that matters. Beasley had some nice movement> PSV is paying dividends for sure.

After seeing the team play timid v England in the first half last week, it was nice to see some confident attacking footy.
beasleys confidence was so good to see.. donovans goal was a cracker, can anyone find a link to it?

we play pananma tonight, if we win, we are pretty much assured a spot in WC 2006, and to all you haters out there, lookout, cause we are gonna pull another world shocker in 2006, ala portugal 2002, and columbia 1994.

I cant wait to play Mexico in September. I may have to head down to Ohio for that one.

I guess we'll be watching the Telemundo telecast en espanol until ESPN shows this game at midnight.

Csaw - Fox Soccer Channel is showing the World Youth Cup starting Friday. Adu, Gaven and Szetela are playing and are grouped with defending champs Argentina and Germany. Should be fun to watch some games.

jamie_mack said:
What age do you have to be for that? as the under 20 toulon is on at the moment!

You have to be under 20. Perhaps the Toulon tourney is sort of a UEFA cup for those teams that didnt qualify? I hadnt even heard of it.

USA dominates again, landon is the man, scores ANOTHER goal in qualfying, take a look at this gentleman

Donovan continued to sparkle in a U.S. jersey with his goal and assist, which now gives him seven goals and eight assists during the 13 qualifiers his team has played in since embarking on their quest to play in Germany in 2006 over a year ago in Columbus against Grenada.

WOW he is on fire, im telling you all now, USA is going to surprise the world in 2006

we beat panaman 3-0 in panama, we are now almost assured a world cup berth

Well, does anybody knows why "America" doesnt have his franchise in the MLS this year, because they said that they will have it in this season.
And by the way Mexico and USA are going for sure to the WC 2006 (really the level of the teams of this area has to get better)
And why the USA doesnt play anymore the "Copa America". Because I think that in that period the MLS has ended right.

regaed said:
Well, does anybody knows why "America" doesnt have his franchise in the MLS this year, because they said that they will have it in this season.
And by the way Mexico and USA are going for sure to the WC 2006 (really the level of the teams of this area has to get better)
And why the USA doesnt play anymore the "Copa America". Because I think that in that period the MLS has ended right.
team america? well the level of teams has gotten better nameley the US, the strides they have made since world cup 90 are astronomical... the us bareley qualified back then, now qwalification is a breeze for the US

csaunders said:
USA dominates again, landon is the man, scores ANOTHER goal in qualfying, take a look at this gentleman

Csaw - i was hatin on LD big time for his lack of fire and fight at leverkusen. . but his form lately has been ridiculous. I dont care how "bad" the teams in CONCACAF are. . his strike and assist rate has been great in very difficult environments. And Bruce seems to be experimenting alot more with more offensive formations, etc, which i like to see before the WC.

We have options, baby, options! lmao. When did we ever have that before? :mrgreen:

ghazi said:
Csaw - i was hatin on LD big time for his lack of fire and fight at leverkusen. . but his form lately has been ridiculous. I dont care how "bad" the teams in CONCACAF are. . his strike and assist rate has been great in very difficult environments. And Bruce seems to be experimenting alot more with more offensive formations, etc, which i like to see before the WC.

We have options, baby, options! lmao. When did we ever have that before? :mrgreen:
i was hating too, but how can you hate a player who gives his best for the red white and blue, cause after all that is all that really matters!!

Read a article today saying mr Arena is not happy and thinks Stuart Pearce has kept
Reyna out of the world cup fixtures, is he still a big part of your team now?

Jamie, this is question that Yanks are divided on. Some still think of him as the most important member of our team and a necessary starter in order for the US to maintain its focus and discipline on the pitch.

Others, including myself, feel that he really is no longer an automatic starter. Personally, I think that the US's strength is its speed with players like Beasley, Donovan, Wolff, and Eddie Johnson. I like seeing the team using vertical and slashing passing and watching them use their wheels to make problems. The problem is that Reyna is slower in speed, and more importanlty, much more conservative in his distribution. He has this frustrating need to continually pass laterally and backwards, as though the US' talent hasnt changed from when REyna was 21.

The bottom line is that we have the tools to threaten defenses, and Reyna, IMO, fails to utilize those tools as effectively, by making everyone slow down to his pace and style of play.

Still love him for what he's done and think he's definitely a person i want on the team. I just dont think we should let him run or dictate our offense anymore.

Well done USA!:applause: Is it the top four that qualify from your confederation? Good to hear Reyna did well, I hope hes not to tired for Saturday!

Convey looks to be re-establishing himself. as much as i hate to see players disapper from view when they leave MLS, if they come back more piolished and developed then i am all for it.

too bad he's redcarded for the Mexico battle. THat's gonna be a great game.

I am still worried about our lack of quality finishing. This was another gamne that shoulda been won 3-0, if not more.

I was really hoping Jeff Cunningham would get some time.

ghazi said:
Convey looks to be re-establishing himself. as much as i hate to see players disapper from view when they leave MLS, if they come back more piolished and developed then i am all for it.

too bad he's redcarded for the Mexico battle. THat's gonna be a great game.

I am still worried about our lack of quality finishing. This was another gamne that shoulda been won 3-0, if not more.

I was really hoping Jeff Cunningham would get some time.
two letters Ghazi, EJ!!!!

I looking forward to USA's next qualifying match against Mexico. I think Mexico will be missing Borgetti due to the fact he will be in England for his Club.

talking about Convey he was great yesterday for Reading scored a cracking goal solo goal running from his own half and followed it with a nice freekick! How did he end up at Reading?

jamie_mack said:
talking about Convey he was great yesterday for Reading scored a cracking goal solo goal running from his own half and followed it with a nice freekick! How did he end up at Reading?

tottenham actually tried to sign him but he couldnt get a work permit or visa, or something.

Then Reading cam in for him and they were able to because i believe there is an easier standard if you're not playing for an EPL team, right?

Convey has lotsa of potential, but his crossing and his finishing always worried me. . kinda like Beasley. .. but i have seen a clear improvement in his play since he went overseas. Hope it continues.

Back
Top Bottom