The United States Thread "Road to World Cup 2006"

Glavisted said:
Which would be your ideal team for the United States now?.
---------keller-----------
dolo----gibbs-pope--boca

--------johnny o(ajax) he is healthy again

beasley--------------lewis

--------donovan-----------

--mchead-----------johsnon

For me...

GK Brad Friedel (before Kasey Keller)
RSB Steve Cherundolo
CB Cory Gibbs
CB Eddie Pope
LSB Carlos Bocanegra
DM Pablo Mastroeni
DM John O'Brien
RSM DaMarcus Beasley
LSM Eddie Lewis
FW Landon Donovan
FW Brian McBride (still before Eddie Johnson)

Glavisted said:
For me...

GK Brad Friedel (before Kasey Keller)
RSB Steve Cherundolo
CB Cory Gibbs
CB Eddie Pope
LSB Carlos Bocanegra
DM Pablo Mastroeni
DM John O'Brien
RSM DaMarcus Beasley
LSM Eddie Lewis
FW Landon Donovan
FW Brian McBride (still before Eddie Johnson)

Friedel retired :(

Glavisted said:
I didn't know that, is a pity; so Kasey Keller as goalkeeper.
friedel has always been at odds with the US soccer federation, not too mention he somehow has an english accent now(fake), i can imagine a month before world cup 2006 he will "un-retire"

usa faces very easy teams in the qualify and when its time for world cup they can manage the group if they work haard but i dont think no chance in hell to pass quarter's :D

Mexico is the toughest opposition in our division (concacaf) no doubt about it. As far as how far the team will go who knows. The US certainly isn't a world football power at the moment but the sport is growing every year and in a country of 280 million people, that can't be a bad thing.

CONCAF should only have one automatic qualifying position, the other should be split with Oceania. The second best team from CONCAF plays the best from Oceania in home and away playoff.

the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament has officially announced the teams that will be taking part in the bi-annual set of matches, here are the groups:

2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup™
Group A
Honduras
Panama
Trinidad & Tobago
Colombia

Group B
Costa Rica
USA
Canada
Cuba

Group C
South Africa
Guatemala
Mexico
Jamaica
-----------------------------

canada have no chance, same group as the states?! just watch cuba clobber us, we're a miserable bunch, somebody bring radzinski into the team PLEASE!!

-fb

footieBalla said:
the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament has officially announced the teams that will be taking part in the bi-annual set of matches, here are the groups:

2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup™
Group A
Honduras
Panama
Trinidad & Tobago
Colombia

Group B
Costa Rica
USA
Canada
Cuba

Group C
South Africa
Guatemala
Mexico
Jamaica
-----------------------------

canada have no chance, same group as the states?! just watch cuba clobber us, we're a miserable bunch, somebody bring radzinski into the team PLEASE!!

-fb
i think radinzki took himself out of the team...

his spot at the club? doesnt sound like a very solid argument. i can understand if chris coleman wouldnt want to lose a striker because scoring has been an issue at CC.

he is a key loss for one or the other

-fb

USA vs Mexico today at 1 pm on espn2, the biggest game of the weekend, US will be playin in front of 120,000 screaming mexicans in the smog of mexico city, CMON BOYS!!!!! im going with

--------keller--------
dolo----boca-----gibbs--------berhalter

----------mastornei---------

beasley------------reyna

--------donovan------------

johnson----------mchead

its tough man, playing in that heat, that amotshpere the thin air... not an easy place to get points, we had a strech of 20 minutes where we looked solid, but yeah keller kept the game from getting out of hand

South Africa will win the gold cup with ease they are a class above the miserable lot that make up the concaf federation.

smango said:
South Africa will win the gold cup with ease they are a class above the miserable lot that make up the concaf federation.
are you on crack? or are you just trying to get people worked up....

Group 3 looks very interesting and should make for some entertaining matches. The other groups look real dull, especially A.

Dime said:
Group 3 looks very interesting and should make for some entertaining matches. The other groups look real dull, especially A.
yeha to be honest i dont think the teams are putting out there A teams, this is going to be the summer break for european based players and there will be world cup qualifing going on as well, not to mention righ in the middle of MLS and Mexican league season...

smango said:
It's difficult, México and United States are better than South Africa now I thin; but the comment is malicious. :lol:

came across this on Goal.com. is this a valid point CS?

thought it to be quite interesting

-fb

ah stupid goal.com, here's the entire article

Goal.com said:
It is common knowledge that the United States of America is a Eurocentric society, with greater value placed on goods & services from Europe than goods & services from other parts of the world. The economic power of the European continent and the colonial history of the U.S. are the reasons for this mentality and while Eurocentrism has been accepted in trade & commerce, it is prejudiced & exclusionary when applied to the style of the U.S. game and establishment of an American soccer identity.

The MLS (the highest level league of professional soccer in the U.S.) is about to begin its 10th Anniversary season and although it is a celebration of staying power of soccer in the U.S., there is a growing Eurocentrism taking place in MLS & U.S. Soccer that is disturbing.

The U.S. is a haven of ethnic & philosophical diversity and should reflect this diversity in its sports leagues, no sport embraces diversity like soccer. Over the last 5 years, MLS & U.S. Soccer has embraced European style soccer and ignored Latin American stylings. This is harmful to the desired growth of soccer in the States, especially considering the proximity of Latin American nations and the massive numbers of Latin people living in the U.S.

The great debate has always been, “Which style of soccer is better? The more technical & structured European style or the flair & panache of the Latin American game.” They are both important and I enjoy both styles, see them as equally effective, and each have their strengths and weaknesses. U.S. Soccer & MLS is in a fantastic position to meld the two styles into a uniquely American game, a style that is entertaining and technically sound. Instead coaches in the U.S. have decided to go the way of technical structure which does not entertain much. If the game is to grow in the U.S. four things have to happen:

1) Infuse U.S. born talent with talent from all over the world
2) Forget about converting fans of American football, baseball & basketball to soccer
3) Forget about competing with the money machines of American football, baseball, & basketball
4) Incorporate more of a Latin American style game with Latin American players and coaches

MLS has to more seriously scout players from Latin American nations like Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Paraguay, just to name a few and maybe even extend globally to players from African and Asian nations. I am not in favor of ignoring European style ball but I am lobbying for more Latin American influence. Right now the percentage is 95% to 5% in favor of the European mentality. It needs to be 50-50. MLS General Managers and player personnel directors are not scouting Latin American players; they would rather take a bench warmer from a 3rd division team in Norway than a starter from a 2nd division team in Brazil. MLS can be a great door to players from the Caribbean, Central & South America to show their skills when the big name clubs may not see them in their home nations.

The problem is that MLS executives practically dead bolt the door shut unless they are European. The goal for a successful league is to get the best players available from EVERYWHERE, regardless of where they are from. In the early years, MLS embraced Latin American stars like Bolivian playmaker Marco Etcheverry, Mexican keeper Jorge Campos, and Colombian creator Carlos Valderrama, now that the league is talking about putting teams in the prestigious Copa Libertadores, they are not as enthusiastic about Latin players on their teams. Drop the North America vs. South America nonsense and put the best players on the field. Sure they need to promote homegrown players but there are enough roster spaces and dubious personnel loopholes/tricks that could be used to infuse more Latin talent into the league. And the absence of Latin coaches is the most telling sign of exclusion of Latin American influence in the MLS.

The MLS and U.S. Soccer cannot ignore Latin America in favor in Europe, it would be wrong for MLS and its coaches to pattern professional U.S. soccer solely on European stylings. There needs to be an equal mixture of Europe & Latin America (throw in some flavor from the rest of the world, too) in developing a distinct U.S. playing style. The U.S. pro soccer game cannot mirror the Eurocentric leaning of U.S. trade and commerce and must include the various styles and characteristics brought to the pitch by its ethnically diverse citizens.

cheers milan, you wise guy ;)

-fb

footieBalla said:
ah stupid goal.com, here's the entire article

cheers milan, you wise guy ;)

-fb
an idiotic article, written by someone who knows nothing about MLS

1)marcho evcthevery, bolovian legend, the greatest MLS player ever
2)jamie moreno, another bolivian
3)carlos ruiz, a great talent for guatemala
4)Raul Diaz Arce
5)dc united got Christian Gomez, a first divison argentinian player
6)does this idiot realize Chivas Mexico now has a team in MLS namend Chivas USA, and that CLub America Mexico is about to buy a team as well and put it in houston...
7)there are so many central, carribean and south american players playing in MLS thats its not even funny....
8)the point he doesnt make which should be made, is there is only one latin american coach in the league, i thin that is a mistake....

notice i didnt take sides when posting this article. i merely said this was interesting. i agree with you wholly now cs, especially after seeing the points you have just presented

-fb

Back
Top Bottom