The TV Thread

RuneEdge, what TV? And are you buying on credit paying back with interest?

Definately no need to wait for HDMI 1.3 capable TVs. The only difference is better colours, but the difference is small, mainly seen on bigger TVs 50"+ and with Projectors. There is also better audio codec support, but I don't think you are using a HD-Aduio Codec equipped amp.

It isn't worth waiting 2 years with no good TV just for HDMI 1.3. TVs will be really cheap, especially LCDs.

I can bet that you can get qualitylike current top of the range LCDs being sold in Asda/Tesco or under £500 in 3 years time.

I'm thinking about buying the Sony KDL-46X2000U one, and paying back with interest.
But I currently have this HDTV which already does 720p/1080i.
http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11229,50429,46720000
I really wanted that Sony one because I thought it would mean I wouldnt have a outdated TV for about 5-7 years (atleast not one thats really shit compared to the rest). With 1080p, 2 Component and HDMI inputs, I could plug in an extra console or even a SkyHD box or something but I only just realised it was missing HDMI 1.3. For a moment I thought I'd wait a bit and see what comes out cuz I already have that Samsung TV but then someone on another forum who kinda asked a similar question got a response pointing out that HDMI have had a couple of upgrades in a short space of time so waiting for HDMI 1.3 is pointless.
I guess the fact that the PS3 is the first 1.3 device is one of the main reasons why I want a 1.3 TV.

Last edited:
The PS3 is a 1.3 device but will not be using the 1.3 capabilities apart from the audio side.

Mmmm... you already have a HDTV, but it is 26" and compared to 46" that is a huge difference. If you can afford it, then just wait till the summer maybe for 2nd-gen 1080p models to hit the market, because the one you listed was one of the fisrt released in UK and is pretty old now.

I need one that will last a while cuz if I'm paying in installments, I dont want to be 2-3 years into the payment plan and see something else that I desperately want.
And whats the difference between these 1st generation models and the 2nd generation that you're talking about?

BTW, Thanks for telling me that Sony one is old cuz I thought it was a new TV. :lol:

Last edited:
Must admit it was on US AV forums they say for connectivity and image it's better than both the latest Sony and Sharp and under 2K for 46" full HD, not sure if they have a different model over there but that's the latest one I could find. Because of all the House stuff I'm forking out for at the moment my next TV will have to last me a couple of years... Not a priority purchase according to my other half... though converting the loft into a dressing room and en suite for her is??
I guess you think otherwise Ash....

I need one that will last a while cuz if I'm paying in installments, I dont want to be 2-3 years into the payment plan and see something else that I desperately want.
And whats the difference between these 1st generation models and the 2nd generation that you're talking about?

BTW, Thanks for telling me that Sony one is old cuz I thought it was new TV. :lol:

LOL! 2-3 years down the line is too long a time. I think within one year you will regret buying your TV, so have I :lmao:

Anyway, buy 1st gen and 2gen I mean all the companies that have released a 1080p TV have done so for the first time: Sony, Samsung, Sharp are the main ones. Maybe wait for their 2nd-gen models and other companies like Toshiba who will be releasing their 1080p models in summer I think.

Must admit it was on US AV forums they say for connectivity and image it's better than both the latest Sony and Sharp and under 2K for 46" full HD, not sure if they have a different model over there but that's the latest one I could find. Because of all the House stuff I'm forking out for at the moment my next TV will have to last me a couple of years... Not a priority purchase according to my other half... though converting the loft into a dressing room and en suite for her is??
I guess you think otherwise Ash....

Convert the loft into a home cinema/lads room. Projector, 7.1 surround speakers, pool table, fridge, sofa..... could go on all day :mrgreen:

I'll try to read up on the USAV forums some time later this week for you.

Anyone know if it's possible to rig up my plasma screen with my PC (so it would be like my PC monitor) ?

I've got the following Plasma screen:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-42P.../B000EYGF60/ref=de_a_smtd/203-7769231-5833519

Which has 2 SCARTs 2 HDMI connectors and a component input on the back and on the side it's got composite A/V input with S-video.

Which is the best way of connecting a PC to it, and is there anyway of setting up the PC via the HDMI input (is there a connector or adaptor I can buy for this ?)

I connected via S-Video on my old CRT TV, and I guess I could do the same, but there has to be a better way.

Thanks for any help.

Does it not have a VGA port? If so connect by that.

To connect via HDMI, you need a DVI->HDMI cable. Make sure your PC Graphics card can output via DVI and you are sorted. Digital connection, and update your GFX card firmware as well, as it should have the latest HD settings :)

I was looking at another Sony one very similar to that and according to Ash, I'm better off waiting for the 2nd generation of 1080p TVs.

I'm guessing its the same for you.

I was looking at another Sony one very similar to that and according to Ash, I'm better off waiting for the 2nd generation of 1080p TVs.

I'm guessing its the same for you.

Yeh I read that post.

The thing is the W series of 1080p came out a few months after the X series, the one you were looking at. The price difference is around £700, which about right as the one Im looking at is 40' rather than the 46' you were after.

So with the W series coming out after the X series does that make it 1.5 generation ;)

Tbh I need a tv by the end of March for the family room, that preferably can submit 1080p.

I had a chat with Ash on MSN a few days ago but he said he has exams for a couple of days (I think they're over now) so I couldnt have a proper talk.

I was just wondering, whats gonna be the difference between the current and the 2nd gen TVs?
The problem with my situation is that I'm paying in installments over a couple of years and loads of better TVs will be out during that period. So is it worth waiting till the summer for the next gen TVs when another generation will follow straight after? And isnt it better to buy the TV asap so that the payment is paid off sooner?
I've already accepted that waiting for a HDMI 1.3 TV isnt worth it so are the 2nd gen TVs really gonna give me something that I wont regret waiting for?
The TV I'm looking at has the right input ports at the back, enough to allow me to plug in all my consoles and everything at the same time using all the right cables. It also has 1080p and the PS3 wont be using the video side of the HDMI 1.3 features.
I dont really know why I'll regret buying this.

I had a chat with Ash on MSN a few days ago but he said he has exams for a couple of days (I think they're over now) so I couldnt have a proper talk.

I was just wondering, whats gonna be the difference between the current and the 2nd gen TVs?
The problem with my situation is that I'm paying in installments over a couple of years and loads of better TVs will be out during that period. So is it worth waiting till the summer for the next gen TVs when another generation will follow straight after? And isnt it better to buy the TV asap so that the payment is paid off sooner?
I've already accepted that waiting for a HDMI 1.3 TV isnt worth it so are the 2nd gen TVs really gonna give me something that I wont regret waiting for?
The TV I'm looking at has the right input ports at the back, enough to allow me to plug in all my consoles and everything at the same time using all the right cables. It also has 1080p and the PS3 wont be using the video side of the HDMI 1.3 features.
I dont really know why I'll regret buying this.

In my opinion there really should be nothing holding you back. A good quality TV will last you for many years. Dont worry about buying over installements and seeing your tv go slowly out of date. Dont forget the first 1080p TV came out around 4-5 months ago in the UK. That means you're still gonna be on the better part of LCD tech for many years to come. Not as if you're buying one at the end of its time ;)

The only thing that would hold me back is perhaps the ever improving refresh rates. The whole blur effects is more noticable on larger tvs so that would worry me personally. They will be improving all the time. But we cant just sit and wait forever, technology is always improving.

I say if you want it go for it. Im thinking of doing the same, as soon as someone tells me the difference between the W series and X series ;)

Ash bro, Ive got a quick question plz.

Im after a quick fix for a tv with 1080p capabilities, but its for the family room. Its got to be cheap as poss coz its coming out of my pocket ;)

I found this:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SON-KDL40W2000U.htm#_

Looks good, but thats awfully cheap for a big tv with 1080p capabilities. Is it rubbish?

Thanks

Na that price is cool, started at like £1850 in most places and has come down. It does have its problems, the backlight bleeding. You currently have an LCD right? Yeah so switch off all the lights and go to a blacnk black screen on the TV, and can you see the backlight bleeding in, you can see this on PC LCD monitors as well. Some people with the W2000 have had this problem very bad, while others little.

The other 1080p set that there is to compete with is the Sharp 42XD1E. That is like £1.1k I think. Best to go to a store and try to compare both and see which one you like better, remember to try to get the remote and turn the settings down.

So do ALL LCDs have alteast some bleeding cuz my current TV is almost perfect and a very good tone of black too.

I am personally going to wait for the 2nd Gen of 1080P tv's. Im also going to wait for price drops too as I would like to get a 50" LCD TV which is Capable of 1080P and at a decent price.

I think the 2nd Gen 1080P Tv's may have a better quality of screen and simple things like better contrast Ratios or they can deal with fast movement a lot better and dont suffer too much Ghosting (you get that with FlatScreen PC Monitors)

Dj

I am personally going to wait for the 2nd Gen of 1080P tv's. Im also going to wait for price drops too as I would like to get a 50" LCD TV which is Capable of 1080P and at a decent price.

I think the 2nd Gen 1080P Tv's may have a better quality of screen and simple things like better contrast Ratios or they can deal with fast movement a lot better and dont suffer too much Ghosting (you get that with FlatScreen PC Monitors)

Dj
LCD ;) Go plasma personally, much better PQ, especially for SD feeds. But 1080p plasmas will be expensive, and still remember you don't gain much, if anything if you sit a certain distant between 1080p and 720p.

Ash I'm gonna wait for the next gen screens too only a few months off I would guess. Given the way my bank balance is being assaulted by my partners home refurb may be just getting a bigger PC monitor... :)

At the moment ash I have a 42" LG HD Plasma which I use on my Xbox 360 with 720P and it looks ace.

Dj

I've read that Panasonic have a 42" Full HD plasma due out soon in the US and Japan and then a couple of months later in the UK. I think, depending on the price, this could be the one to buy.

Last edited:
I'm reading in some places that if a TV has 1080p, it doesnt mean all the ports display the full 1920x1080 resolution, even the VGA port. Is that true and if it is, how do I know which ports work before buying a TV?

You ask or you look it up. :-s

There's quite a few TVs like that, as far as I'm aware. Pick some TVs you like and then go through their specs online (AV Forums are great for that).

Back
Top Bottom