The TV Thread

You ask or you look it up. :-s

There's quite a few TVs like that, as far as I'm aware. Pick some TVs you like and then go through their specs online (AV Forums are great for that).

My main problem is with the Sony KDL40X2000U where one site is says it has a 1920 x 1080 resolution but only 1280 x 768 for computers. This hasnt been mentioned anywhere else where they sell the same TV. And I've seen many errors in the specs on sites so I'm hoping this is an error too.

But the truth is, it could be right which really messes things up for me. Cuz I was planning on using my VGA cable for the X360 to display 1080p or 1920x1080.

Get onto AV Forums, if you search for a thread for that TV there will be one. Ask if it supports 1920x1080 via a VGA cable, someone will know (they might even have already said it).

I've read that Panasonic have a 42" Full HD plasma due out soon in the US and Japan and then a couple of months later in the UK. I think, depending on the price, this could be the one to buy.

Yep we will see how much it costs, I woul think under 2k to comepte with LCDs.

I'm reading in some places that if a TV has 1080p, it doesnt mean all the ports display the full 1920x1080 resolution, even the VGA port. Is that true and if it is, how do I know which ports work before buying a TV?

Correct, a lot of TVs don't do 1080p via component and VGA.
I think the Sony X does do 1920x1080 via VGA, but by some dodgy method LOL! Errmm just do a search on AVForums about it :) I forgot really.

Ash I'm gonna wait for the next gen screens too only a few months off I would guess. Given the way my bank balance is being assaulted by my partners home refurb may be just getting a bigger PC monitor... :)

Okay, I would wait as well :8): For the 1080p plasmas \\:o/

Samsung LE40M86BD (2200€ in May)

lem86bd_side.jpg

http://www.lcd-compare.com/televiseur-SAMLE40M86BD-SAMSUNG-LE40M86BD.htm

90% sure my next TV

FullHD
3 HDMI 1.3
Colors : 25.7 Billion

Last edited:
Samsung may be good for cheaper HDTVs, but if you want quality, Samsung is NOT the qay to go!

Panasonic will be releasing their 42PZ700 full 1920x1080 1080p HD-Ready Plasma and I thinkt hat is the one to get! It is similar price to the Samsung and will be 100 times better.

Everyone in the industry knows Plasma>>>LCD.

Samsung may be good for cheaper HDTVs, but if you want quality, Samsung is NOT the qay to go!

Panasonic will be releasing their 42PZ700 full 1920x1080 1080p HD-Ready Plasma and I thinkt hat is the one to get! It is similar price to the Samsung and will be 100 times better.

Thanks for your help, you have the full specification of this Plasma ?

Just got an update.

PX70(PV70) HD (37"/42"/50")
PX700(PV700) HD Premium (42"/50")
PZ700 FullHD Premium (42"/50"/58")

The one in brackets is the equivalent EU model, so Thomas for you :8):

Last edited:
50PZ700 €3500 (available may '07)
42PZ700 €2500 (available june '07)

For you Thomas :) EU prices, but these are RRP so you will propably find it cheaper online :)

:shock:
For the 42" 1080p model? I think it will start off at £2k @ online retailers, then fall to 1.5k near the end of the year!
Yeah, that sounds about right. I could probably afford that if I didn't want to get a decent sound system too (not the best, but there's some nice ones around £500). I think I'll have to make a sacrifice somewhere...#-o

Seems like I should start looking at the 1080p LCDs again. ;) Maybe the new Samsung panels will be slightly cheaper.

Last edited:
1080p isn't such a biggy. I would tak a 720p plasma over 1080p LCD. How far do you sit, because if you are not close enough, you won't see the difference.

I'd guestimate around 2.5m (8 or 9 feet) from where the screen would go. Is that too far, too close or just right?

I think I should be looking at 40-42". 1080p I would like because I've got a PS3 pre-ordered which I'll use for Blu-ray and I'll probably get a HD DVD player in the future.

Last edited:
Hi, I need a new TV since my current died so the moment has finally come for me too to get a 'new generation' TV!
I am looking for a 32" size screen that has a decent price. Which one would you recommend?

There's a Toshiba WLT68 in our front room of a similar size, and it is (in my opinion, of course) the best LCD TV out there at the moment. The features (2xHDMIs - most have one), the quality (you can't beat the freeview picture on it) - it is fantastic. I bought a Samsung LCD for the bedroom (as it was cheaper), and immediately regretted it. Even though the difference is only slight, the Toshiba WLT68 is the best LCD I've ever seen.

That is, unless you want plasma and/or you want to wait and see what all of the new technology can do that's coming out this year...

There's a Toshiba WLT68 in our front room of a similar size, and it is (in my opinion, of course) the best LCD TV out there at the moment. The features (2xHDMIs - most have one), the quality (you can't beat the freeview picture on it) - it is fantastic. I bought a Samsung LCD for the bedroom (as it was cheaper), and immediately regretted it. Even though the difference is only slight, the Toshiba WLT68 is the best LCD I've ever seen.

That is, unless you want plasma and/or you want to wait and see what all of the new technology can do that's coming out this year...

Hi Jack, thanks for the reply.

I had a look at the Toshiba you mentioned and just as you said it seems a great TV. Only the price is a little too much unfortunately. The cheapest ones I have seen are a little more than €1000 which is too much and it hasn't got WUXGA. For about €500 more I'd probably take the Sharp Aquos LC-37 XD1E but as I already said this is too expensive for my budget.
I was more looking for a max price of €700.
I was looking for Plasma's after reading what ash's written about them ("Everyone in the industry knows Plasma>>>LCD.") as well and they start at €900 but what is worrying is the little resolution of 1024x786 they have.
As for the never ending improving and advancing technology, yes this is a concern too. I am not stupid, I know this is the way the industry and technology goes but sometimes you just feel fooled. I am worried that I buy a new TV now and in a half year time I could have gotten a much better for the same amount of money but there's nothing I could do except wait but I need a new TV now.

Hi Kel, just last week I jumped to the HD-Level and got myself this I was really tempted to go for a plasma as I had seen one beside an LCD before and thought, WHOOOAAAA, just look at the colours!!!!!! But the thought of spending about £900 on it was too much to stomach. So when I saw that on offer, and £200 quid cheaper than my local independent was selling it for, I took the plunge. It is a nice size TV, and depending on how far you sit back from it should determine what size you need, I'm glad I didnt go bigger for now anyhow.

Also Kel, you getting caught up and reeled in my friend on all the techno babble, check out this Basically unless your sitting to damn close, or have 30:30 vision, dont get caught up paying for something that dont really matter that much.

Hi Holio, thanks for your answer too. The article regarding resolutions was informative and helpful. The TV you got is also nice but now after doing some more research I found myself on the plasma route. They're very tempting. The colours and general image quality seem much better than on LCD's. Also for non high definition material it's got better results. Probably I will save more money and invest it in the Panasonic TH-37PV70 which cost about €1.300.

Definately try to get a 37PV70. I wouldn't worry too much about resolution of plasmas, they still look the dogs, esp. with HD material :)

what a load of bullshit. Did you know that samsung makes sony lcd's? Your like a wine snob, when you say unfounded shit like plasma >>> LCD. Sure for $10,000 a plasma is going to look better then a $3000 LCD, but not fucking $7000 more... Panasonic is no better then samsung or sharp... Mitsubishi/Pioneer is the real good shit, but again your talking apples and oranges in terms of pricing. Saying a samsung is not quality and pansonic is, is mis-leading and ill-informend.

1080p isn't such a biggy. I would tak a 720p plasma over 1080p LCD. How far do you sit, because if you are not close enough, you won't see the difference.

the closeness theory has been argued back and forth. ashmufc, if your getting a 1080i signal, why would you take a 720p plasma over a 1080p LCD. The 720p plasma will downscale the 1080i signal to display 720p natively. This is a conversion and will dimminsh the picture. A 1080p does not have to downscale anything, it just wont be progressive..... 1080p signal is not that prevelent, but 1080i is everywhere...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_1/feature-article-1080p-3-2007-part-1.html

what a load of bullshit. Did you know that samsung makes sony lcd's?

True...the screens are the same but the image processing electronics definitely aren't. Go over the AVforums and the like and the same will be said.

I think you seriously need to calm down mate :shock:

I'm guessing you have a Samsung TV and are taking the criticism too personally. Samsung make great TVs and are great for HD content. Their SD performance on the other hand ain't - especially compared to Sony's Bravia range.

Have you looked at a Plasma lately? The quality is way ahead the LCD (although LCD is approaching). The only prob is the screen burn and lifetime issue. That is reason enough for me not to go Plasma. People who take image quality seriously though, these issues and price can be overseen - who else will pay $10000 on a TV?

Bear in mind that companies have different range of products to appeal to different sectors of the market. Sony, for example, have the S and U Bravia range for budget users and the W, X and V Bravia series for the higher end.

True...the screens are the same but the image processing electronics definitely aren't. Go over the AVforums and the like and the same will be said.

I think you seriously need to calm down mate :shock:

I'm guessing you have a Samsung TV and are taking the criticism too personally. Samsung make great TVs and are great for HD content. Their SD performance on the other hand ain't - especially compared to Sony's Bravia range.

Have you looked at a Plasma lately? The quality is way ahead the LCD (although LCD is approaching). The only prob is the screen burn and lifetime issue. That is reason enough for me not to go Plasma. People who take image quality seriously though, these issues and price can be overseen - who else will pay $10000 on a TV?

Bear in mind that companies have different range of products to appeal to different sectors of the market. Sony, for example, have the S and U Bravia range for budget users and the W, X and V Bravia series for the higher end.
dude the sony xbr's bravia have massive massive ghosting and banding problems. The samsungs dont, thats why if you go to the american version of those same forums, all of the sony owners are pissed off to high heaven that a $2000 samsung has a better picutre then ther $35000 sony. Way ahead? You gotta be kidding me. The only plasma that i have seen that was way ahead of anything else, was a $10,000 pioneer elite. I own a sharp 37 inch LCD, a Samsung 40 inch 1080p lcd and a mitsubishi 56 inch 1080i rear projection crt. I looked at plasmas and lcd's, the picture did not justfiy spending a grand more on a plasma. If your talking apples to apples, i.e. $2000 lcd vs $2000 plasma, the picture between the two are usually very similar.... If your talking a $10,000 plasma compared to a $3000 lcd, then sure a plasma looks better. But to say that plasmas are waaaaaaaaay better then LCD's is a farce. Thats all im saying. And yeah i researched the living shit out of all the tv's, and i keep comming across guys who claims lcd bad, plasma good, Which after all the research i have done, i came to find out, those guys bad, lcd's are fine, plasma=overated,overpriced

Which after all the research i have done, i came to find out, those guys bad, lcd's are fine, plasma=overated,overpriced
Got to say, I'd agree with this. I've seen a few LCDs and after getting used to those and seeing a relative's plasma, I just thought "how you can watch a permanently blurred picture is alien to me" (and no, it doesn't need repairing; I've seen a few now and I just can't understand why someone would go with a permanently blurred picture over a picture that only blurs when it moves).

I suppose if you only watched freeview channels then a plasma wouldn't be able to make it look too bad, but if you have a HD source and you see it on a plasma and an LCD screen... To me, it's like looking at one without your glasses and one with them on.

But, that's just my two pence.

the closeness theory has been argued back and forth. ashmufc, if your getting a 1080i signal, why would you take a 720p plasma over a 1080p LCD. The 720p plasma will downscale the 1080i signal to display 720p natively. This is a conversion and will dimminsh the picture. A 1080p does not have to downscale anything, it just wont be progressive..... 1080p signal is not that prevelent, but 1080i is everywhere...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_1/feature-article-1080p-3-2007-part-1.html

But that is assuming the 1080p/i on LCD looks better than 1080i/p downscaled to 720p res... It will dimminish the picture, but it is very hard to tell the difference, honestly! Unless you sit very close like 3-4ft! I sit around 10-14ft usually.

And about the prices, in UK the plasmas have come down in prices, and large screen plasma and LCDs are very similarly priced. With plasmas usually cheaper now.

And just cause Samsung make the screen for the Sony LCDs, doesn't mean the Samsung is amazing just cos some say the Sony is good.
The current and next gen Sharp LCDs have banding problems in UK and US for 42" and above, many people I know have had this :roll:
Yes the Sony has its ghosting problems as well
And Samsung has had its fair share of problems as well, esp tearing with VGA, and many others. It is a budget price for a reason ;) No offence to any with Samsungs :)

And what is with this massive over-exxagerations? I never mentioned a $10k plasma did I? Correct me if I am wrong, the 42"/50" Panasonic 1080p models will be quite cheap compared to the Pioneer Elite :shock: ;) A LOT cheaper!

And don't make things personal FFS!

But that is assuming the 1080p/i on LCD looks better than 1080i/p downscaled to 720p res... It will dimminish the picture, but it is very hard to tell the difference, honestly! Unless you sit very close like 3-4ft! I sit around 10-14ft usually.

And about the prices, in UK the plasmas have come down in prices, and large screen plasma and LCDs are very similarly priced. With plasmas usually cheaper now.

And just cause Samsung make the screen for the Sony LCDs, doesn't mean the Samsung is amazing just cos some say the Sony is good.
The current and next gen Sharp LCDs have banding problems in UK and US for 42" and above, many people I know have had this :roll:
Yes the Sony has its ghosting problems as well
And Samsung has had its fair share of problems as well, esp tearing with VGA, and many others. It is a budget price for a reason ;) No offence to any with Samsungs :)

And what is with this massive over-exxagerations? I never mentioned a $10k plasma did I? Correct me if I am wrong, the 42"/50" Panasonic 1080p models will be quite cheap compared to the Pioneer Elite :shock: ;) A LOT cheaper!

And don't make things personal FFS!

not making it personal, but i think your giving out bad info, a plasma by default is not better then an LCD, there are many different variables that go into a tv. Yeah the sharps and the sony xbrs have problems, BUt the samsungs dont. Not on the picture. Tell me what problems your talking about? the samsung LN4095D and LN4692 have be getting rave reviews from everyone. The Sharp and the sonys have been getting shit kicked all over the internet for there banding, ghosting, and cloudiness issues. That neither manufacture will admit. Please help me on this, because i can still take the samsung back, i havent seen any negative reviews on this TV.

Back
Top Bottom