The TV Thread

Even if you switch it off and play with the settings, you can't quite get it to match the DNIe quality. And no, unfortunately, switching DNIe off doesn't fix any lip-sync errors - but as I've said, it must be the stereo causing that, because if I plug the output into anything else - my monitor speakers, for example - the sync is fine.

Any idea about my freeview question above while you're here, brainbox? :)

EDIT: My freeview reception is 60% for BBC 1 and 2, 50% for ITV, 40% for Channel Four and even lower is Channel Five. Would it be worth me getting an indoor aerial, or it would it make no difference? I don't see much wrong with the picture, just the occasional artifacting around text.

What do you use now, an external roof antenna thingy-bob?
I use an antenna from my roof have got 100% reception on every channel.

Yeah, I'm using the aerial off the roof, brought into the front-room and split, fed into a booster and then sent around the loft before ending up between the two bedrooms and being split again. I'm sure that will have something to do with the signal quality... :eh:

You should think about using another booster further down the chain of connections. Thats what I had to do in my house.

Tried that as an experiment and it seemed to boost the noise more than the original signal - I think the aerial, or the cabling, isn't up to scratch. No way would we get a new aerial when the signal in the front-room is alright, so I either stick to what I've got now (which is by all means watchable) or get an indoor aerial and hope for the best.

I mean, I can't understand how the signal strength is less than 50% for some channels, and yet you can't really fault the picture (apart from normal freeview problems such as blockiness here and there on fast-moving pictures)! If it made a difference then I would spend money on it, but I can't see how it could improve really!

Last edited:
Been watching QI on the new TV (on-topic, how'd you like that) non-stop. Best quiz-show out there. :)

Holio, look for the Toshiba 32WLT66, very good TV, pretty cheap as well now!

Anyway, good to see you liked the TV. How much better than the Hitachi?

Just got one of these yesterday! My first LCD and I love it. Definately recommend one of these.

Got the model without freeview for £550 from play.com. Bargain!

Jack Bauer said:
I know people who've ordered off Play and got on okay, but it has to travel a fair old way from what I can tell (from Jersey, is that right?)...

Ordered Sunday night, got it yesterday lunchtime. It was dispatched from somewhere in England so they must have a distribution depot over here.

Last edited:
Can't really say mate. Specs look good, and 2 Year Colect and Drop Warranty looks impressive.

Maybe go www.avoforums.com then LCD section and search for that tv, if not there start a new thread :)

Oh aye Ash, those Tosh's, is the 37inch one banding free? Currys online doing it at 735 atm.

Yeah, only 42" and 47" are affected.

Also look around for Currys vouchers before you buy, there are tons of them! COuld save a lot.

Only Currys vouchers I have found are for free delivery over anything costing 249quid, and well on the site the TV comes with free delivery anyhow..........

Ok, went to a local independant yesterday who I have bought all my tv's from in the past, anyhow, Pany LCD beside a Pany Plasma.............. simply no comparison, so Play have the 37' PX60 with Cabinet for 899, is that a wise choice or save for a 1080p panel, though Sky have said they wont broadcast above 720 and I'm really not tempted to jump to HDDVD /BluRay anytime soon.

How far do you sit? Over a certain distance the differnece is negligible.

And 1080p on TV? I doubt it! It will need tons of bandwith, and the OFCOM aren't even allowing HD OTA (i.e. HD Freeeview) and so with no real competitors for Sky (NTL will soon launch HD, but with no real content, you can't call it a competitor) I doubt there will be real push for 1080p from Sky. 1080i is good enough :)

All IMHO Rocky.. and Holio.

Holio, I own the Panasonic 42PX600 and really like it. PX600 just has nicer external design, SD Card slot to view pics and record, PictureInPicture/PAP, better sound and a higher price tag compared to PX60. But same picture quality :0

hello fellas

can I ask a few novice's questions?

Im getting a PS3 so want to update my bedroom TV to a HDTV.

I only want something like a 23inch TV.

been having a look and I am slightly confused on a couple of things....

firstly, some of the HDTV's I have seen do not have HDMI inputs

why is this? will I need a HDMI input to play my PS3 in HD or plug a Sky HD box in??

also It does not always make it clear when I look at HDTVs if they are 1080i or not.

are all HDTVs 1080i??? and if not, can I get a 1080i HDTV in 32inch or smaller?

hope someone can help

cheers

If a TV is HDReady then it is supports 1080i and 720p.

There are no native 1920x1080 screens under 37" really. Say you buy a 23" HDTV, it will take 1920x1080i from the PS3/SkyHD and downscale it to its native res, don't worry it is still HD.

All HDReady TVs accept 1080i, but not all display it natively.

Are you looking for 23" or 32"? And are you in UK? And any price budget?

get this one mate:

http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail...=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f=2&t=34&ms=&k=&s=0&gt=

Ive posted it here before. I bought it September just gone. Its awesome and works great on the PS3. They do it in black too.

prod_7933_1.jpg

prod_7495_1.jpg

I suppose if you have £600 to spend though you could get a better one. But like I said the PS3 looks fantastic on it.

£600, now that is a lot for such a small TV. Is like 23" the biggest you want, or do you mind a bigger one?

Some don't have HDMI, but they have DVI with HDCP enabled. Basically the same thing, but it does not take audio, you have to use seperate leads for it.

I'd reccomend the:
Toshiba 32WLT66 for under 600.00 http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=190546
You can get it from Currys or Dixons, do a search on the internet for discount codes as there are lots flying around to get a big discount.

There is also the Toshiba26WLT66, the 26" version which you can get for under 500 from Amazon, comet etc.

Really good TVs and it comes with 2xHDMI, and also Toshiba CS is amazing.
Get back to me :)

Some don't have HDMI, but they have DVI with HDCP enabled. Basically the same thing, but it does not take audio, you have to use seperate leads for it.

I'd reccomend the:
Toshiba 32WLT66 for under 600.00 http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=190546
You can get it from Currys or Dixons, do a search on the internet for discount codes as there are lots flying around to get a big discount.

There is also the Toshiba26WLT66, the 26" version which you can get for under 500 from Amazon, comet etc.

Really good TVs and it comes with 2xHDMI, and also Toshiba CS is amazing.
Get back to me :)

Like I said earlier in the thread, I have one of these (Toshiba 32WL66) and would recommend one wholeheartedly!

I got mine for £549.99 on play.com, free delivery which took 2 days!

Last edited:
Fellas,

thanks for all the info. the toshiba and samsung both look like great TV's and with my new found knowledge of HDTV's I should be able to buy the right one!

Ill let you know how I get on

thanks again.

I'm thinking about buying a new 46" TV worth around £2000 but its only gonna be affordable if I pay for it in installments over 3 or 4 years. The problem is, I keep reading about the new HDMI 1.3 and wondered if its worth waiting for one of those or should I not bother knowing HDMI will probably be upgraded again in the future. Plus the fact that its being paid over 3-4 years means theres a chance of me regretting it about 1-2 years into the payment plan when I see something better that I could have bought if I had waited. I really dont know what to do but its really tempting cuz the TV has 1080p and I have a PS3 preordered.

What would you do?

Back
Top Bottom