The TV Thread

No ash don't get me wrong on the Plasma thing, from what I've seen they look fantastic with HD running but worse than LCD with a non HD source that's all. And the fact there's no fan noise and a lot less power usage is a plus!!
I know they are slightly cheaper and I can get a bigger screen for my bucks too.

I found it the other way. Plasma looked better with SD than LCD, and LCD looked a slightly bit sharper with HD.

Anyway, move to London

Any updates Nick, managed to find a demo of the TVs?

Been into the Sony centre in Leeds while my better half went on a sales bender.. three pairs on new boots to go with the other 62 pairs of shoes that she has... was driving me nuts so I snuck in to check out the 40 and 46X... I explained my gripes with the motion blur still being an issue on such a high end product to a smarmy sales rep, the guy had a conniption fit.
They are nice looking sets and the pic's with HD movies is fantastic, he claimed they did not have a non HD source in store to hook up to the set to show me what it looked like, even though three of the sets behind him were running BBC 1 TV.
Will be taking the plunge in January one way or the other and I need to add a surround sound system, tilt swivel bracket and the mindbogglingly expensive cables these alone will end up at about £400 worth.

You happy with the prices?
And for cables, remember high quality is the way to go :)
And you will be wanting amp and speakers?

Not compared to a similar TV, that Sony badge is very expensive though the image is great without external sound I would be unhappy.. Still looking for a Sharp that's running seen one in Manchester but they had it up on a shelf and it was "just out of the box"!! I don't think there is anything else due out on the market though if I go for the Sharp, I have been warned to hold off until the new panel arrives in the new year. The cables are a minefield in themselves. Just need a good site to show me the best way to hook up my PS2 to my screen and surround sound system.. As for the surround sound I have been looking at all in ones for the price of around £400 quid, I think they work out cheaper for the equipment you get than going down the separates root!!

The thing with All-in-one is you have to make sure it has optical inputs :)

The new Sharps are due in April/May, and prices will be very high at launch. Then if you wait for them to get cheaper, maybe August?
Good luck, the new Sharps look promising, and lets hope Sharp sort everyhting out like banding etc. It is due out in USA in Jan, so I will tell you if I get good/bad news.

Hmmm just been checking and it looks like it will be worth waiting as not only Sharp but a few other new technologies and screens are due early next year. LED back lit screens and the use of 120hz technology will eliminate motion blur and give far better colour and contrast. Would be pissed if I bought a screen only weeks before a massive leap in quality happened!! Non of this is ground breaking stuff and is around already in some top end sets, so should come down in price and be available at 40-46" screen sizes!!

Sorry for being lazy, tired from celebrating Eid.....
Good luck.

Seriously, I would still consider plasma. The best 42" plasma is the Fujitsu P42XHA58EB. It is the undisputed leader, and with some hard looking around you can get it for under 2.5k with 3 year warranty. It is a cracker.
Look into it, or try to get a demo. PM me your location, and I will try to find a local dealer. ;)

Will check it out ash, joined the Forum so will be bouncing around in their... dying the death of the dreaded man flu at the moment so may be dead by the new year. Thanks for all the info will keep up the search... I'm based on the outskirts of Leeds by the way.

Was only the 37xd1E and I'd want at least the 42" which worryingly it is already down at under £1500 on Sharp's site!! Picture was great, sound was through a surround sound system and the guy in the store went off to find his boss to sort the sound so I could hear the TV's speakers and never came back :)
Been advised to stick with my DVD player and just go for a surround sound speaker package or a separate amp and speakers!! As I'm planning on getting either or both a PS3 and a 360, and both will give 1080p where nearly all the cinema set ups just upscale?

Going to buy..... just which make??

Been advised to stick with my DVD player and just go for a surround sound speaker package or a separate amp and speakers!! As I'm planning on getting either or both a PS3 and a 360, and both will give 1080p where nearly all the cinema set ups just upscale?

I've lost you here :shock:
Don't use the PS3 or 360 as a dedicated DVD player, they are shi*, definately buy a good one to get the best from your TV.

Also, I agree, get a seperate amp+speaker, much more versatile.
Also you are going to keep your current player, which one is it? If it is a cheap/crap one, I would upgrade personally, as you might have a massive DVD back catalogue, and the 360/PS3 is only good at playing the HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray. Also remember to buy the HD-DVD add on for 360 :) If oyu are quick, it is in stock on the Woolworths website.

As for which make ;) ..... Panasonic/Pioneer :mrgreen:

Just check out pricerunner, the Sharp 42XD1E is damn cheap now.
BTW, do you have a Costco near by/are you a member of Costco?

Ash I have been to our local Costco they had a Sony 40X2000 in there but no Sharp, it was before Crimbo and a bit mental so will have another look... I was told that the consoles would be okay for HD playback, though I'll take your word for it, I'll probably wait for the whole HD-DVD,Blu Ray thing to pan out so the price drops, I have no HD movies anyway yet ;)

As for the separates will have to do some digging as I would want something easy to use but take a TV,DVD and games consoles without having to keep setting up!!

Costco definately had the 37" Sharp, not too sure about the 42". I would buy from Costco, as they have great returns policy if anything goes wrong.

True story about Costco's return policy...

The guy I used to live next door to bought this climbing frame and slide combination for his little girl - no idea why because she only went on it once. Anyway, after 11 months (of a 12-month warranty), he took it back and said "my little girl cut herself on this, can I have an exchange please?" and within five minutes, he was walking out of the shop with the next model up, twice the size of the old one, and a new 12-month warranty to boot. They also have a dead pixel policy (on TVs, not on climbing frames, obviously).

Costco are brilliant. :)

i just got myself a samsung F (40")
when i play zelda:TP i get lots of horizontal lines that keep 'moving up'. its very annoying.
why is this?
ive connected the wii using component.

any help appreciated.

Have you connected the right colout cable in the socket? And is the Wii set to output 480p?

everything is correct as far as i know.
also theres no way of setting resolution on tv as its all automated.

Has anyone tried connecting a 1080p set as a pc monitor and when watching youtube stuff or dvds with any player software...its flicking around the screen?
not much noticable when picture is moving but when its slow and dark its flicking like mad.

plz help.

i cannot take the tv bk. :(

newLok, go to the Wii Menu, then go settings, and look for video settings or somehting and try to set it to 480p/i or play around with the Hz settings.

Me again! ;)

My Hitachi D6600 has finally arrived, and it's a pretty decent TV. Analog TV looks surprisingly brilliant, even better than on the £1,500 Toshiba in the living room believe it or not, and the 360 looks great on it as well, when you knock all of the noise-correction crap off (at first I thought "oh my God, this wasn't worth the money", it was that bad, but when you knock the correction options off it looks alright).

My one problem is with my freeview box, however. I thought they were all the same, and so two years ago I got a cheap and nasty Durabrand (ASDA's own) receiver. It was pretty blocky on the old telly, but on this 26" one, it can give you a headache in five minutes. I've read a few reviews of other boxes such as this Pioneer DBR-TF100GB, which apparently gives you a crisper and clearer picture, with much less digital artifacting - is this true? It even has an S-VIDEO out (according to a review I've read elsewhere) - obviously better than SCART, but this is the first box I've looked at (mainly because of the S-VIDEO out).

EDIT: Actually, it doesn't have an S-VIDEO out, there are only SCARTs - and yet, on the stats for the box, it says the following: "SCART Connector - Euro scart for TV/VCR: RGB, SVHS, CVBS, Audio"... Don't quite get that, it says SCART and then next to it, it says SVHS, but it's not, it's a SCART... :eh:

Any advice guys? Any good freeview boxes you can recommend?

Last edited:
If you click on the review of the Pioneer I mention in my above post (HERE), it compares it to that Sony VTX-D800U, and according to the review they're both very similar. If I'm lucky, I'll find the Pioneer DBR-TF100GB somewhere for £50, but the Sony one (probably because it's OOP) I won't be able to get for less than £80-£100, from the looks of things.

What's the major difference(s), any idea?

Back
Top Bottom