The TV Thread

To add to what csaunders was saying, Samsung have released firmware updates for their TVs that fix some of their problems. IMO, Samsung are very underrated.

Only in the Interwebs can you find peeps bitchin over TV models ;)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Yeah, I don't do bitchin', so I will rest my case.

And saunders, those are US model no.s, find out the UK equivalent for me and RuneEdge will do the bitchin' for me... or JB.... or... rb :shock:

Hey guys,

Am looking to get a hd-tv lcd in teh size 32 or 37inch. Price level is as cheap as possible for decent makes (sony/samsung/etc)

Found this samsung 2006 model:
http://www1.correct.com/artikel.php...72&PHPSESSID=f58d33031541cb3404b02e2a0a74678c

http://www.samsung.com/nl/products/tv/archive/le37s71b.asp

So what do you think, will be mainly using it for digital tv, which from time to time has hd content but mostly sd, dvd, pc and 360/ps3 eventually. So need a pretty overal decent tv for a good price.

Also found the 2007 model for € 924,24

http://www.samsung.com/nl/products/tv/lcdtv/le37s81b.asp

Last edited:
I've still not decided on what set to go for yet, though I have 'til July to decide.

I don't think there'll be any 1080p plasma screens in my price range by then so it will probably be an LCD, but what make/model I'm not sure.:roll:

What is your price range? And size you after, or as big as possible?
£1200 to £1400 and 37" to 42".

The new Samsung sounds great and other than an apparent glare problem people are saying it's the best LCD yet (for high definition anyway), especially at it's price.

Mmm... the 1080p plasma will be out of your range.

LCDs it is then, what Samsung are you talking about? Model no. please :)

I'm talking about the LN-T4065F, that's an American model but it translates to the LE40M87BD (minus one component/s-video input, two added scart inputs).

Last edited:
The M86 is black with black decoration on the bottom, the M87 is black with chrome (silver) decoration on the bottom.

(Seriously, not an April Fool - if you don't believe me, look at THIS (M86) and THIS (M87), and scroll down to the very bottom where it says "Design Type")

That's my present to you after finding that really good Colin McRae Dirt video Thomas! ;)

Sony D3000 looks good due summer time I think, the next gen LCD's should all but do away with motion blur!! and given the fact they make less noise use less power and create less heat has got to be the only choice. The fact that they are cheaper for the 1080p format wont mean much in a couple of months as the plasma's will be there or there abouts by then. The big worry on the LCD front for me has always been motion blur and the dreaded banding. Take those out of the pick and given the price drops it's looking good.

Ash I await your retort ;)

Nick, by the time you buy a telly, they'll run on sunbeams and dust, the plasmas will start suffering from motion blur and the LCDs will have hover-engines built in as standard that vacuum your floor for the dust they need to run, and also help to position the TV wherever you want it - AND Pro Evo will have Tranmere and Wrexham in, but the CPU will still cheat and a new law will be introduced to Britain allowing PES rage killings...

;) Got a new TV JB but only a 32" sammy, not an all singing all dancing 40-46"... Couldn't live with the motion blur... Still prefer my Sony's picture on my old CRT to any I've seen over the 36" size in Plasma or LCD when running anything but HD stuff. I want the larger screen but not with a crap pic... :)

I wouldnt go for any of the TVs out at the moment. Most large 1080p TVs would have a lot of judder when theres fast motion on the screen. I suggest you all wait for 100+hz TVs with Motionflow.
I (well actually my parents but its still in my room) bought a new Samsung LE40F71BX but I noticed a bit of judder during Gears of War on 1080p and with my X-Men 3 bluray on the PS3.
When I eventually buy my own TV, I'm gonna want to make sure thats all fixed.

Last edited:
Sony D3000 looks good due summer time I think, the next gen LCD's should all but do away with motion blur!! and given the fact they make less noise use less power and create less heat has got to be the only choice. The fact that they are cheaper for the 1080p format wont mean much in a couple of months as the plasma's will be there or there abouts by then. The big worry on the LCD front for me has always been motion blur and the dreaded banding. Take those out of the pick and given the price drops it's looking good.

Does anyone know what displays Sony are using for their monsterous PS3 demonstration units? The D3000 looks v similar to what I saw; but as Nick Cave mentions, the D3000 is out in Summer.

I see the D3000 has 24p mode too....which will be excellent for HD movies :D

The only problem is that its not true 1080p. It accepts it but then downscales it to 720p.

I'm talking about the LN-T4065F, that's an American model but it translates to the LE40M87BD (minus one component/s-video input, two added scart inputs).

Thanks. I need an LCD for another room, we will see.

Ash I await your retort ;)
I very much doubt motion blur will be removed on next gen LCDs! It is the most annoying thing about LCDs, it also depends on your eyesight. Like when watching cricket (:shock: :8): ) when someone hits the ball, the camera pans really quickly and you can see the motion blur, and banding which you just can't get away from, one reason I moved to the plasma camp.

As for price drops! :shock: Bad in my book, plasmas have dropped massively! 2005 Panasonic 42" plasmas were £1.8k at the end of their lifeline, 2006 Panasonic 42" plasmas are £700 at the end of their lifeline! It shows how much has been cut to compete with LCDs.... But there are still high quality plasma makes like Fujitsu... but I can't afford that \\:o/

And as for the 100hZ technology, it isn't perfect. Toshiba have one and it still hasn't fixed motion blur. Philips have something similar and nothing has fixed it. But I envy those who don't notice it! ;)

Does anyone know what displays Sony are using for their monsterous PS3 demonstration units? The D3000 looks v similar to what I saw; but as Nick Cave mentions, the D3000 is out in Summer.

I see the D3000 has 24p mode too....which will be excellent for HD movies :D
Not sure rk. It is either the Sony X or W series. I know in USA they use X series, the one with interchangeable fascias for the screen :mrgreen:
Yep, the 24p thing is great news, can the PS3 output at that native res? Lets just hope Sony have fixed their backlight problems. Yeah and as RuneEdge said above, it is not native 1080 res.

Oh yeah, Nick the Sony D3500 will be out as well in Winter I would say :lol: Sorry, that was cruel.

And here is the new Pansonic lineu: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/03/29/panasonics-new-1080p-plasmas-priced-and-dated/
UK should be getting the same models, Panasonic doing 4 models I think which is a bit confusing, but atleast there should be some premium models... well lets hope so.

The words "cake" and "eat it" come to mind, no idea why though... :freak:
Hmmm if wanting a good large screen tv with no motion blur and banding oh, and if possible as good an image as my old CRT is wanting and eating my cake, no sponge and no nuts please!! ;)

I very much doubt motion blur will be removed on next gen LCDs! It is the most annoying thing about LCDs, it also depends on your eyesight. Like when watching cricket (:shock: :8): ) when someone hits the ball, the camera pans really quickly and you can see the motion blur, and banding which you just can't get away from, one reason I moved to the plasma camp.

As for price drops! :shock: Bad in my book, plasmas have dropped massively! 2005 Panasonic 42" plasmas were £1.8k at the end of their lifeline, 2006 Panasonic 42" plasmas are £700 at the end of their lifeline! It shows how much has been cut to compete with LCDs.... But there are still high quality plasma makes like Fujitsu... but I can't afford that \\:o/

Oh yeah, Nick the Sony D3500 will be out as well in Winter I would say :lol: Sorry, that was cruel.

And here is the new Pansonic lineu: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/03/29/panasonics-new-1080p-plasmas-priced-and-dated/
UK should be getting the same models, Panasonic doing 4 models I think which is a bit confusing, but atleast there should be some premium models... well lets hope so.

I don't mind the wait,maybe not till winter ;) but I want to get the right screen soon and build my system around it, all the models out at the moment as RuneEdge points out are flawed in one way or another, it's not just down to image size or res' or even brand favoring. My CRT handles non HD input better than any large screen I've seen. Not that you get to see many running non HD.
It's like PES on next gen :roll: The samsung I got will do until a good screen comes out and at only £500 quid is pretty good but I really only want the large screen for PES and maybe FIFA 08.. :D

Yeah JayZ, ermm... that is all RRP. Near the end of its life line maybe it will be around £1300. I am guessing the 1080p 42" Panny will launch online price at around £2k or so.

And JayM, nothing can beat CRTs on non-HD (well sometimes, most crap/low bitrate SD content looks good on SD, but high quality DVDs look amazing on HDTVs :)
Toshiba just announced their X and Z series LCDs, some of them 1080p! nOoOoO!!!

I've just turned my old CRT on to see the entire screen has a terrible green/purple tint, it looks like I might be forced to buy something cheap as replacement until I can afford better.:shock:

The new Toshiba sets look great. :D

Last edited:
@ Jaym, have you got any speakers (stereo/hometheater) near the tv? I had that a couple of weeks ago an a fairly new sony crt. Have had the speakers near it for ages but for some reason i got the green tint going through it. Moved the speaker and left it for a day and then it was fine again. Supposedly to do with magnetic fields. Also read that you can use a magnet and make circular motions from outside to in to "reset" them. Dont know if it works though. Worth a try to save some money.

Back
Top Bottom