The Retro-PES Corner

Been playing some 2012 and 2013 lately.

Must say that 2012 is really lovely. The cpu looks very organic and varied, superstars behaviour is also maybe at the top of the whole saga. I perceive a good different experience whenever I play a Libertadores, where southamerican teams give me a slower rythm, and some Euro or Copa America with a top team, where all goes (naturally) faster. I'm playing simple cups just with the idea of reproducing football at the best and it's very entertaining, I saved a lot of clips I'll share sooner or later.

2013 has better animations (and maybe keepers) but overall I prefer 2012 by a good margin over it, where shooting is more free and IA less frenetic and direct.. although honestly I'm having good fun here too and if you keep your position with attention you can see some very interesting paths by CPU all the same (maybe it concur that I'm playing with the Jenkey's gameplay patch on).

I'm also playing with the Space Patch 4.0 (always thanks Papinho!) and it's gold for retro lovers, it has a ton of all star club teams selections with well reproduced players from the past and good retro kits, whenever I fire it I practically just do Konami Cups with those:D

Must say that 2012 is really lovely. The cpu looks very organic and varied, superstars behaviour is also maybe at the top of the whole saga. I perceive a good different experience whenever I play a Libertadores, where southamerican teams give me a slower rythm, and some Euro or Copa America with a top team, where all goes (naturally) faster. I'm playing simple cups just with the idea of reproducing football at the best and it's very entertaining, I saved a lot of clips I'll share sooner or later.

2013 has better animations (and maybe keepers) but overall I prefer 2012 by a good margin over it, where shooting is more free and IA less frenetic and direct.. although honestly I'm having good fun here too and if you keep your position with attention you can see some very interesting paths by CPU all the same (maybe it concur that I'm playing with the Jenkey's gameplay patch on).

I'm also playing with the Space Patch 4.0 (always thanks Papinho!) and it's gold for retro lovers, it has a ton of all star club teams selections with well reproduced players from the past and good retro kits, whenever I fire it I practically just do Konami Cups with those:D
Much better IMO Vs 13.
More weight,CPU doesn't rush it either

Really loving my ML at the moment. Into my 3rd season and with 1 game left i am in 2nd place, 5 points behind the leaders, 1 point in front of 3rd and 2 points in front of 4th. The progressive learning curve and the gradual improvement to players really makes it satisfying when you score or hold onto a win or draw. When you see that improvement you really get to ‘bond’ with the players.

Here are the brief highlights of my last game...

I love Alisic’s (CPU) first goal because it really took everyone by surprise. In the match there was a great save by my GK through a crowded penalty area and when we broke Ordaz picked a shot while under pressure which caused their GK to tip it over. It’s a shame the highlight reel didnt pick it all up.

Lovely highlights @geeeeee . Between your recount and the one of Miguel pages ago I'm really getting the bug of playing a 2008 title again.

Thanks Madmac :)

In the hour i played last night i had more fun than in any PES or FIFA from the last 5 or more years put together!

There was so many shout out moments in the 3 games as the tension rises to get promotion. In one match the match was level until around the 88th minute when Gutierrez hit a shot from the edge of the box which hit the post and then pinged up against the crossbar. The keeper didnt have a clue what had happened and Ordaz came racing in to tap in the loose ball. That was so satisfying! :)

Have you got a PS2?

Been playing around lately with J-League Club Championship 2008.
Yeah J-League 2008 is very special, But there's something interesting trivia about the ML there Miguel. I never would've known due to the translation barrier with the game, I was just happy getting by in exhibition.

What i love about the game is that it's a close, authentic recreation of a dedicated league with all teams having stadiums and a vast majority of player faces. It's basically the first only time Konami gave a league the "EA Premier League" treatment.

Not only that but the naturally lower stats of the J-League really shines a bright light on the brilliance of the engine, Of course anyone who plays with master league defaults understands this anyway but strengths & weaknesses as well as body context and timing are as pronounced as ever.

In typical Japanese fashion, not only can you buy the usual huge dog heads, dinosaur and penguin suits, as well as the ostriches; there's also...this.
I swear i've seen those in another Retro PES game, but the interesting thing is that they also come with their own ball physics right?

Which brings me onto something else slightly self indulgent and superficial i used to want to see in PES, That each ball actually has it's own slightly different physics. Adidas balls would swerve differently and have a different weight to Puma & Nike balls for example. Mostly being born out of being younger and buying into the phenomenon of World Cup balls being ergonomically mystical and players and keepers complaints about them and blaming them for their performances at the tournaments.

Of course, I matured and realised it's far more important to get general ball physics right before fetishising other brands of footballs. Having said that, I'm pretty surprised EA never made it a feature of their own knowing how they love to break down the science of their improved ball physics every year in their trailers.

That's interesting about 2012, It's just about the only Retro PES from last gen i haven't revisited since the year it was out. I picked up 2013 and just assumed it would be a polished version of 2012 and that there wouldn't be much to learn from playing the prequel. I've heard from most on here that 2012 is slower and a bit more faithful to a simulation than 2013, as brilliant as the latter is.

Anyway, I've been working on a new series of my own for the last few weeks and finally put it out yesterday. It's a sentimental one for me as it was my First, real time World Cup as a fan and therefore my favourite (Despite 2014 & 2018 being much more exciting personally).

It's great to finally have a faithful and detailed recreation of this tournament in patch form on the PES that came after it. EA's World Cup games always dropped the ball in terms authenticity with kits, font's outdated squads and that god awful obnoxious confetti they shoehorn into the presentation, That i always longed for a more grounded, artistically accurate presentation and plus - It's PES 6! Very fitting of the games time period.

We revisit the legendary PES 6 & recreate the World Cup 2006 hosted by Germany. See all the goals from all 32 teams on match day 1 of the group stage. Plenty of shocks & great goals; What the World Cup is all about!

I prefered 2012 over 013 too on my latest revisit tour, the thing is I didn't liked both. :ROLL:

For me its very weird movement and animation wise, its them transitory games, with 2010 and 011 you know what you have and then with 014 as well, but these two just dont do it for me, the movement and ball touches is just not direct and feels sluggish, maybe a comparison is a car transmission where you need to stir around and dont know at the end which gear will be pulled, you turn and the player just moves barely but makes a dozen of ball touches, this has nothing to do with PES imho and should not belong never again.

Anyway, so I finished my Siena D2 next to last (same as the 09 ML prior), but this time Ivarov kept his cool most of the time, with the physix mod you really need to be careful when to sprint, I never played PES6 like that, total game changer.

Second season in and two transfer periods behind me, I sold most of the players already. :EMB:
I needed to put them on the list because usually no one wants them and I was way below the even point, but the offers kept going and going so it ended up +4k and half the squad new. :LOL:
For a moment thought that I would not manage to fill up the squad again but out of experience I knew to only try to buy the ones that have a high chance be transfered.

So now I have Pagis a french 33 year old prolific striker with the positioning ability, he came in the very first transfer window, same as Alvarez as side/wing allrounder from Costa Rica I think, because I don't like Giersen :SMUG: and needed another player that can play as left SB, only Ruskin in the whole squad is a bit crap, that was it I think then I went on a buying frenzy after the first season, got me Jo the brasilian young striker, some young british side midfielder called Bernett or something, Le Tallec a french AM, Ghioanne or so a romanian allrounder and Samba a strong tall CB, but the top signing was Carini the goalkeeper, surprised he came after the first offer, probably the only one that is a bit unrealistic to go to a crappy D2 side but oh well.

Stremer is a starter, Ruskin and Espimas too, Jaric and Dodo come in from the bench, I still have Cecieu? and Valeny too together with Iva and Zamenhof, oh and Stein + Castolo/Ordaz and Macco/Ximelex. I think its a 22 squad now so back to around normal.

A bit strange because I am sure that I posted this video earlier.

This is my ML match from a couple of games ago. I love Gutierrez’ strike that hit the bar and post before Ordaz tapped it in for a late winner. It is a shame that it is snowing because it is harder to see the ball.

A bit strange because I am sure that I posted this video earlier.

This is my ML match from a couple of games ago. I love Gutierrez’ strike that hit the bar and post before Ordaz tapped it in for a late winner. It is a shame that it is snowing because it is harder to see the ball.

I've seen it before.
In a different thread?
Do remember because I hate snow+green pitch+red ball,screws with my (very slight) colour blindness.

So i visited CEX over the weekend and picked up a few PS3 games for less than the price of a Coffee, Which is crazy, I picked up Deus EX: HR for 50p. This game which is highly rated and considered a work of art, created over the span of a few years and a labour of love to Cyber Punk from it's writers, artists & developers and it costs less than a can of Coke!

However the PS3 section seems to shrinking every other month i go in there, I asked why (As the actual shop floor is clearly big enough to house them) and the dopey, unkempt, unwashed teen hipster behind the counter scoffed "Because they're old maaan, nobody wants to play them anymore anyway!"

I always had that satirical quote in mind when ever i'd fire up an "old" game or buy them with loose change in my pocket on a whim on a Saturday but to actually hear that philosophy come out of a real persons mouth standing across from me was quite surreal, Quite amusing and quite condensending and pissed me quite off! Probably get a more accomodating response asking why there aren't more dirty magazines in the top shelf of the newsagents.

Anyway, I picked up FIFA World Cup 2010 for - 50p too, And It's the first time i've played since that summer of release and I know a lot of people look back on this edition fondly compared to FIFA 10, And with hindsight i could understand why it was so popular.

This is before EA really nailed the inverse kinetics, Before the introduction of the Impact engine and just before they started to hone in on a realistic football formula, Just before the the FUT virus really took hold of the world and damaged football gaming. Football gaming innocence was still being preserved.

I was quite surprised with how good the dribbling, passing and ball physics held up. And what also surprised me was the Mandela effect i had; I swore blind that 360 degree dribbling as we know it now, was introduced in FIFA 10... It certainly was marketed for that game - But it wasn't true 360 dribbling. It was more like 32 directions, The sundial turning was still evident on WC 2010 in hindsight but would've still been a pleasurable addition at the time.

It just brought it all back, The signalling for 360 degree passing and movement in football games and shrieks of "It's time for a change" in forums. PES fans had to wait another year for Konami to realise the demand for it and introduced it in PES 2011 but we had to settle for 16 directions in PES 2010. Double the 8 directions that was a cornerstone of PS2 era PES.

Still, The iconic Gorilla player models of early PS3/Xbox 360 era of FIFA's are ever present.
The game looks alright until a cutscene is triggered or a goal is scored...

So i visited CEX over the weekend and picked up a few PS3 games for less than the price of a Coffee, Which is crazy, I picked up Deus EX: HR for 50p. This game which is highly rated and considered a work of art, created over the span of a few years and a labour of love to Cyber Punk from it's writers, artists & developers and it costs less than a can of Coke!

However the PS3 section seems to shrinking every other month i go in there, I asked why (As the actual shop floor is clearly big enough to house them) and the dopey, unkempt, unwashed teen hipster behind the counter scoffed "Because they're old maaan, nobody wants to play them anymore anyway!"

I always had that satirical quote in mind when ever i'd fire up an "old" game or buy them with loose change in my pocket on a whim on a Saturday but to actually hear that philosophy come out of a real persons mouth standing across from me was quite surreal, Quite amusing and quite condensending and pissed me quite off! Probably get a more accomodating response asking why there aren't more dirty magazines in the top shelf of the newsagents.

Anyway, I picked up FIFA World Cup 2010 for - 50p too, And It's the first time i've played since that summer of release and I know a lot of people look back on this edition fondly compared to FIFA 10, And with hindsight i could understand why it was so popular.

This is before EA really nailed the inverse kinetics, Before the introduction of the Impact engine and just before they started to hone in on a realistic football formula, Just before the the FUT virus really took hold of the world and damaged football gaming. Football gaming innocence was still being preserved.

I was quite surprised with how good the dribbling, passing and ball physics held up. And what also surprised me was the Mandela effect i had; I swore blind that 360 degree dribbling as we know it now, was introduced in FIFA 10... It certainly was marketed for that game - But it wasn't true 360 dribbling. It was more like 32 directions, The sundial turning was still evident on WC 2010 in hindsight but would've still been a pleasurable addition at the time.

It just brought it all back, The signalling for 360 degree passing and movement in football games and shrieks of "It's time for a change" in forums. PES fans had to wait another year for Konami to realise the demand for it and introduced it in PES 2011 but we had to settle for 16 directions in PES 2010. Double the 8 directions that was a cornerstone of PS2 era PES.

Still, The iconic Gorilla player models of early PS3/Xbox 360 era of FIFA's are ever present.
The game looks alright until a cutscene is triggered or a goal is scored...
The staff are in my local CEX are also unkempt, like it’s a requirement to work there?

The ‘gorilla models’ made me laugh. So true, I’m playing Fifa 15 at the moment and the player models are horrible.

So while everyone is having fun in the esport thread i thought i would play some ‘real’ footy and finish off my season. Will i make promotion?

I needed a win to be sure.

:)

Guys, where are the games of WYL?

I'm going to play them out today so hopefully have them online later tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Miguel was going to play out the second two games but I haven't heard from him since Saturday and he hasn't been on here since. Hopefully all's ok with him and he's just busy with life or away for a few days, or maybe he's been ill. Anyway I was waiting until today in case he reappeared before I play them out.

Love the Live Premiere and enjoy to chat with you guys
I know we can compete against the Favorite but surprise with the result
well done boys, keep it up, long season ahead

Last edited:
Yeah, a really enjoyable game and Atalanta more than matched them throughout. What a start for them!

A disappointing result and performance. Looks like big teams can't handle those tactics, I have to make some changes to the formation.

A disappointing result and performance. Looks like big teams can't handle those tactics, I have to make some changes to the formation.

I was thinking that as well. It seemed to work perfectly for China but Netherlands didn't seem to play it well and it looked like Bayern struggled with it too.

Back
Top Bottom