The Retro-PES Corner

No I'm getting just adverts. Just recorded a bit here.....

Guess maybe it is getting blocked then?
Yes seems unfortunately here applys the region lock. I had just a hope since their live streaming app is youtube, that it would not be locked. Now in the same player i watch football you watch adds.

These crazy MOFOS at the public television find always a way to make me angry. Screw the taxes we pay them every month . :P

@slamsoze Yes, it's working great, even in HD as well. Thanks for the effort though, much appreciated. :) You know that Greek manager's post in the youth world cup is still open, right? ;)

@slamsoze Yes, it's working great, even in HD as well. Thanks for the effort though, much appreciated. :) You know that Greek manager's post in the youth world cup is still open, right? ;)
Yeah. I told Miguel in pm. Didn't ask to participate, cause i have heavy-loaded schedule this period of year due to work. I can only take the B option, just be manager in title.

@mattmid ,

Tell me about it, he is worse than Pep going about the Charity Shield.
I tell him Socceraid and beating "Arry and Piers Morgan is not quite a WEFA Championship.

I think Big Sam headed the ball a few times too many in his playing days.

:SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

Match Day 3 Pre Game Report.

Spain v Sweden Venue: Memorial Stadium, Bristol

The third fixture of the World Youth Cup sees joint favourites Spain begin their campaign. They'll be taking nothing for granted though against Sweden and that was even before today's result. Spain boast a talented, technical squad as has become the norm. Pundits expect them to stick with their 4-5-1 system with two AM's in behind a main striker.

That main striker is likely to be Ruiz of Barcelona, with pace to burn, good dribbling and the ability to make tight turns with his agility he is not just a goal threat. But he is that too, with great accuracy and good technique. He can go missing when the chips are down but the chips aren't down that often for Spain.

With no less than 13 players in the squad capable of playing AM, even if not the preferred position for all, then you'd expect at least one of them to be on top form. If they both are then look out Sweden. The hardest part for the Spanish manager might be deciding which two to use.

Likely to be one of them though is Gomez of Dortmund. With decent speed, but good acceleration he can get into and out of tight spots quickly and with twinkle toes he can be dribbling his way into the clear before you can blink. His finishing needs a bit of work still but he can leave that to someone else once he's created the chance.

At DM will probably be Antonio, strong in defence, pacy and with an eye for a pass he'll be feeding the AM regularly. He also has an eye for a long range shot if he ventures forward far enough.

At left back is Miranda, though not yet the finished article, it is hard to spot a weakness, unless you're going to have a jumping competition with him. Without being spectacular, he can pass, control, dribble well, is agile, quick, technically good, has good stamina and is alert to danger. Apparently he's crap at the piano though, so there's hope for us all yet. Oh and did I mention he can play in five positions?

On the other flank is likely to be Morey. He's not Miranda, but he'll do a job. In between the two will likely be Eric Garcia of Man City and Guillamon of Valencia. Both are quick and Guillamon is often first to any loose ball with his high agility and response.

Central midfield is another position with many options. Gelabert may well start, he can pass through the eye of a needle if you require it. Short or long. Passes that is, not needles. Technically great, mentally sound. He can dribble and is quick.

Who starts in goal is likely to be a toss up between Moha Ramos and Ruiz-Zebeiro, there's not a lot to choose between them.

On to Sweden, who if they look at that report might not bother getting of the team bus. However they have their fair share of talent as well. Last playing a 4-4-2 with a defensive midfield behind 3 they may well stay with that.

In goal will probably be Brolin but it's not a certainty. In front of him it's likely to be Hansson and Kusu, both steady enough without being stand out. At full back there are options. Larsson, who can also play CB, isn't great going forward but is very solid defensively. If they are looking to push forward and exploit Spain's flanks then they might opt for the more attacking Sundgren or Hjulstrom who are very similar to each other. Both much better going forward than Larsson and sound enough defensively.

It seems certain Cajuste, from strong youth team Midtjylland, will play in midfield but whether he'll sit at DM behind the three depends on how expansive Sweden intend to play. Cajuste is better going forward but he's also the best DM they have. He's strong, not quick but not slow, a decent passer, particularly long range and also has a strong shot on him. He's also no slouch at free kick's either. Ideally I think they'd like to play him at AM but will be be involved enough there is the question.

Sweden have many options across the midfield which is why the formation suits them as many can play all or most of the positions. Edlund or Kulusevski (of Atalanta) could play AM if Cajuste doesn't. Both are more than capable of it although Kulusevski may get the nod.

With cover at DM not being as strong that may mean Cajuste does take that role on. Out wide are more options with both Edlund and Kulusevski capable of playing there as well as several more.

Up front the pairing of Prica and Harletun seems most likely with both capable of hurting Spain should they get the opportunity. Without being spectacular both are capable strikers. Prica in particular has an attacking nous about him and is quick to react to loose balls.

Sweden look to have their work cut out with this multi talented Spanish squad but they are sure to be hard working, organised and can pose a threat of their own. Their manager "The @Special4988 one" is currently waiting on a visa to enter England so they will have a caretaker manager in charge

Dangerman: Amongst many other candidates it has to be Gomez. A box of tricks and harder to pin down than a donkey's tail.

Matchday #3 - Spain vs. Sweden

Spain (4-3-3): Moha Ramos (cap.); E. García, Guillámon, Morey, Minanda; Antonio, Sancet, Gómez, R. López, Gelabert; A. Ruiz.

Sweden (4-1-3-2): Brolin; Lagerbielke, Hansson (cap.), Hjulstrom, Kalley; Hussein, Edlund, Vagic, Kulusevski, Mushitu, Prica.

nl6glvI.png

What the vast majority of football fans around the world would think would have had been a breeze of a match for Spain, turned out to be a very balanced encounter early on. And to think Spain would even have been smothered by Sweden's midfield, no one would've had bet on that to happen.

But in fact, Sweden was able to hold off Spain for the first fifteen minutes of the match - in which Spain couldn't even get a shot on goal. While Sweden's Hussein - yes, he's Swedish - patrolled the midfielder as if he were a world class anchorman, Antonio the star DMF on the other side just wasn't able to appear and make a difference, as Sweden intelligently denied him the ball by having two or even all three of their attacking midfielders covering Antonio's preferred zone of action down the middle, closer to Spain's centrebacks. As such, the likes of Edlund, Vagic and Kulusevski were much more busy defending like DMF/CMFs than actually performing their traditional AMF duties; which is to be expected given they were facing one of the favourites to conquer the WYC trophy.

Without the trapped Antonio's influence and as Sancet, Gómez and R. López were tremendously uninspired, it was Gelabert who took the reins of the Spanish midfield: but even if he himself wasn't that much more inspired than the others, he seemed to be the only one who cared enough to do anything about it. So, he decided to ignore most of his colleagues and spent his time trying out one-twos with Spain's rightback Morey; he certainly gave some intensity to Spain's moribund offensive effort by acting more like a winger than a midfielder, running at full speed to evade the opponent's left back before crossing it, or just providing attacking passing lanes while the rest of Spain's midfield watched, powerlessly.

Still, despite Gelabert's heroics, Sweden totally controlled the match early on. Hussein never missed a pass and always found the most intelligent passing lane, and though neither of his midfield colleagues were that much inclined to participate on that process, Mushitu the striker was trying to take advantage of Hussein's influence on the offensive effort by singlehandedly carrying the team up front, for Sweden to be able to threaten Spain's defense. It was a fruitless effort nevertheless, as certainly Sweden does lack firepower and Spain's Miranda and Antonio mostly were always too solid defensively to disguise any possible defensive vulnerabilities.

After those eerie fifteen minutes, Spain corrected the unbalanced equation and began to take control of the match, as everyone would've expected them to do. Gelabert led them forward as always, but suddenly, the likes of Ruiz and López were beginning to appear and showcasing their unparalleled skill - even if they were rarely successful in their actions, not because Sweden was tough as a rock at the back (they certainly weren't), but rather for the absolutely obvious lack of inspiration of Spain's usually most creative individuals.

Until halftime, they had five shots on goal against Sweden's only one, but still, none would end up scoring before the end of the first half.

k5Ak2w7.png

1st half highlights

If up until now the match was far from electric, with both teams fitting on each other like Tetris blocks, on the first fifteen minutes of the second half, none had a single shot on goal. At this point, extra time was the most probable outcome for this Spain-Sweden matchup. Sweden certainly had to be happy about it, as they were expected to lose this one anyway; but Spain had to do something about this state of affairs. Comretzka Hernández, the manager, had viable attacking alternatives on his bench to go for the ambitioned first goal of the match; instead, he chose to sub off his centreback (?), his rightback (??) and Gómez - I can't really argue against this one, I believe he'd have subbed off the entire midfield right after those dreadful fifteen minutes of the first half if he could...this was enough fuel to light Spanish social media on fire.

"Comretzka coño!!!" (I shan't translate this...), "¿ Expliquenme por qué él no cambia el 4-3-3 y no añade un avanzado más?" (why won't he scrap the 4-3-3 and add up another striker?", "¿Esto es el futuro de la selección española? Madre mía..." (this is Spain's National Team's future? Mother of God..." were some of the most eloquent tweets we could pick out of the bunch. Others were complaining about a penalty that wasn't awarded to Spain in the first half, and understandably so as the Spanish player did look as if he had been brought down.

However, strangely enough, Spain did improve a bit for the latter part of the second half. Edlund's injury on the 58th minute helped a lot, as he had been fundamental to stop Antonio and the rest of Spain's midfield as a consequence.

Glc4hIY.png

Sweden's AMF duo was running out of gas and Edlund's replacement was far from the footballing level that the former had shown so far; therefore, finally, Antonio was able to appear and dictate the tempo of the play as masterfully as he's known to be able to do. Spain's maestro had been unlocked from his Swedish chains and was now comfortably running the show in a Pirlo-esque manner. Spain, admittedly, looked much more "fresh" physically speaking than Sweden; it's as if they had guarded their energy for the second half and were now beginning to reap the rewards of that strategy. Still, they were as uncreative as ever up front and weren't able to convert any of the few chances they had.

85 minutes in. Throw-in down the left in a defensive position, closer to Sweden's goal. Sweden's left back throws it to his midfielder. Wait a minute. Antonio appears out of nowhere, steals the ball...

Yes! He delivers a perfect cross to an incoming A. Ruiz and the striker finishes it with a perfectly timed diving header, it's in, 1-0! Before Sweden's centreback was able to figure out what exactly was happening, Ruiz reacted way earlier and aggressively attacked the space to provide a passing lane to Antonio. Antonio himself was brilliant in the way he appears in a zone which is definitely not his to guard, steals the ball and rightaway looks for an incoming attacker to deliver a killer ball.

This is what world class players do.

Spain had spent the entire match under-performing, was completely out of ideas for 85 minutes. Sweden had brilliantly suppressed their offense for almost an entire match. In just a couple of seconds, and after having committed the only defensive mistake they had during the entire game, Sweden threw it all away. When you're facing a world class team like Spain, you can't afford to lose concentration even if just for a bat of an eye.

But Ruiz wasn't done just yet.

Not five minutes after his goal, and while Sweden was still picking up the pieces and trying to regain solidity to make a final go at it to force the extra-time, Ruiz gets the ball in the midfield, evades past an opponent. Alright, he hadn't been able to dribble out a single Swedish defender so far...he then dribbles another one. Impressive. Then a third one, quickly so. What is happening? He's able to enter the box unmarked...

With only the keeper to beat, but still with a difficult angle on goal, he shoots and scores the second!

That was it. Sweden had just imploded after Ruiz's explosion, and Sweden would lose a match they never thought they'd let go of so easily. But when you have Antonios and Ruiz, you're able to just sit back, relax and enjoy the festivities for 85 minutes and just put in a little bit of effort for five minutes, and you're good to go. If you're Spain, that is.

Full match highlights

p1AqfAc.png

BrIU7A8.png

Man of the Match: A. Ruiz. I'll let you in on a little secret: I have to admit I had his name on the "Down" list up until the 85th minute. He really had been horrible up until then, always failing to connect with the midfield, looked absolutely lost out there - plus, in the first half he had committed a brainless slide-in tackle that could've cost him a red card, only he was lucky the ref was lenient. Out of nowhere, he decides to wow everyone with a diabolical version of A. Ruiz that completely wrecked Sweden and awarded Spain the win. Five minutes of Ruiz is worth much more than 85 minutes of...Ruiz.

Up: Hussein. He was clearly Sweden's best player out there with a display of defensive intelligence and build-up ability that was able to outsmart Spain for the whole match. He even was close to scoring in one occasion.

Up: Antonio. He waited patiently for his moment to shine whilst cleaning up the midfield during that time, preventing Sweden from creating any danger. Then, he singlehandedly created the scoring chance that would allow Ruiz to score the first goal. He was Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta all-in-one.

Down: Spain's creative midfield. This match could've been 900 minutes long and we'd still be waiting for them to finally create something worthy of note.

Last edited:
Nice write up :)

Thought that was heading for extra time there. That must be Ruiz's mentality at play there you wold think? Completely inept and then suddenly he gets his act together for five minutes!

Cracking header from a lovely pass for the goal as well! Notches another one to take the early lead in the Golden Boot. I guess this shows their threat if most of the team don't even show up and they still get through.

Alright lads?
Listen,my Pes gaming right now is mainly a bit of Pes 18 and a whole lot of Pes 15.
But,I DL the full installer from the the other thread (Pes 3 etc you know which one)
Here's my question ,off on holiday soon, laptop with me ,and Pes 4 (wolf 2005 evolution) and Pes 5 (total club 05-06)
Any chance on giving me tips on playing those in wide-screen?
I'm shit at PC,mainly work on iPad.
Help appreciated (think I'm running it on 1024x768.)

Edit: Fixed

Last edited:
Romania
Romania plays a 4-2-3-1 formation with an unbreakable DMF duo who take care of the dirty work, a talented winger in charge of inventing the impossible, and a lone striker who’ll convert most of those created chances.

It’s unclear who Romania’s goalkeeper will be. 17-year-old Andrei might get the spot, but honestly, neither of the three options for the role are convincing enough for a WYC side.

Leca is the undisputed leader of Romania’s defense. The question is, who’s going to team up with him and take the other CB role? Their manager has tried out many alongside Leca, but no one has been convincing enough to secure that position. Natural SB Radu Zamfir has been given the most minutes there but Cana, a natural CB, is looking like the best solution.

Vadasis shall be one of the sidebacks. The defensive-minded and ever-reliable individual will see attacking fullback Puciu and speedster Sabangeanu fighting for the remaining sideback role: our money goes to the latter as he’s much more competent defensively than Puciu, who’s more of a winger disguised as a (often absent) defender.

It’d be shocking if Toma and Screciu didn’t once again share the workload as the DMF duo of this team. Both are supremely talented defensively without sacrificing their ability to link-up play pretty well; they’re the finely tuned workhorses of Romania.

As for the sole AMF role, if the manager opts for a more balanced option, he’d go for Albu, a natural CMF with an engine that lasts for days and a man who’s always keen to join the workforce sitting behind him. But if the manager feels lucky, he’ll consider playing Pitu – a winger – down the middle and have him create havoc with his dribbling and speed, mostly.

However, Pitu should play as the winger he naturally is, leaving perhaps Mihailia as the other one. The latter is not as talented as the former – not at all -, yet his speed and his occasionally decent crossing shall come in handy in an encounter where Romania should mostly bet on quick counterattacks.

J. Markovic, the sole striker, is Romania’s Key Player.

Key Player: J. Markovic. U. Craiova’s striker is the kind of player who you’d expect he’d be playing for a title contender like France or Spain. He’s one of the best attackers in this competition; his overall balanced set of skills is blessed with an abnormal ability to score goals. Romania’s chances of surprising the world of football with a positive WYC campaign rely mostly on what Jovan Markovic might be willing to do out there.

---

Denmark
The Danish play a typical 4-4-2 flat formation and rely on the dynamics created by their fluid midfield in order to create chaos on the opposition’s defense.

Each of Denmark’s goalkeeper trio is as good of a player as many of the starting goalkeepers for the other nations in this WYC2019. The choice won’t be an easy one but Monty is usually on the starting-11, and rightfully so as he’s typically solid.

M. Ross should definitely start as one of the centrebacks; as for his partner, that’s a tough question to answer. Neither Bloch nor Anker are as competent as Ross, but the former is arguably a better defender than the latter.

One of the sidebacks has to be Norrestrand, Denmark’s undisputed defensive leader. More on him later. Kiltten and S. Nielsen are competing for the leftback role and both of them are your typical modern wingback with plenty of intent of going forward almost all the time, supporting the offense. Klitten should get the part as he’s not only lightning fast but also has a wicked left foot, one that’s able to cross the ball with tremendous accuracy.

If the Danish manager opts for a more attacking-minded starting-11, surely Madsen and Bidstrup will join forces down the middle as the DMF duo – but unlike their Romanian counterparts, these two are far from the typical anchorman. N. Madsen is an uncompromising box-to-box who looks pretty much like a done deal for professional football at this point – such is his footballing maturity. As for Bidstrup, he’s got the footballing IQ to match his partner, but excels in dictating the tempo of the play masterfully – perhaps this is why they’re a perfect fit for each other.

Instead of having the traditional winger and anchormen duo of your typical 4-4-2 flat formation, Denmark’s wingers are actually attacking midfielders in disguise. You’ll see a duo of AMFs who’re given free reign to explore any zones they prefer throughout the match. If maestro-meets-striker Tue Jensen will surely play, it’s much more difficult to figure out who’ll play alongside him…probably V. Jensen, a dynamic AMF/SMF/SS combo, a footballing triple threat. If instead the manager opts for a more conservative option – like Bergmann (not at all related to filmmaker Ingmar Bergman), a CMF/SMF fusion who’s as tireless as he’s team-oriented -, then V. Jensen might play up front as a kind of supporting striker to N. Frederiksen.

Nikolai Frederiksen is yet another potential striker sensation of the tournament.

Just like Romania’s Markovic, Frederiksen knows all about the art of scoring goals, yet he also surprises everyone with his balanced set of skills who make him often an unstoppable force down in strikerland.

Key Player: Norrestrand. The 16-year-old is not just Denmark’s best defender – by far -, he’s arguably one of the best of the World Youth Cup. At just 171cm, he compensates for his shortness (and his lack of aerial ability) with his unmatched footballing IQ that allows Norrestrand to dominate any kind of attacking opponent. He’s also tremendously reliable and consistent in his game; plus, his crossing ability is impressive for such a defensive-minded individual. Maldini’s successor?

The keeper mistake or post deflection tap-in conceaded goal to regular goal ratio on my 09 ML must be around 1.8 or so, the new keeper while saving more reflex type of shots on the line does not help, put on halt for now.

Finally decided to try 2014, in many departments I think its very good, but the through balls on the receiving side are rubbish and ruin it, also all the enemy COM players do the same tricks all the time, its comical, and the ref. cant handle the jostling system at all.

Switzerland v France

With a packed Layer Road making lots of noise the referee got the game underway!
Amazing write up Matt. A fantastic narration painting a vivid picture. Sods law that after discussing the fear of goalless draws pre tournament that my team would get eliminated during one! At least there was goals in the Spain game albeit 2 late ones.

That's what i love about the retro PES games. Especially during tournaments, Every game tells a story. It's the notion that scenario's play out in the game and you think "What are the chances of that" but, It happens in real football and you can almost always come up with an example in some tournament in the real game.

When i was doing my WC 2002 series, I gave underdogs USA the moniker of "Late goal kings" As they literally won 3 games in a row due to match winning goals in stoppage time. Reminded me of when Middlesborough got to the UEFA Cup Final in 2006 in similar fashion.

@MafiaMurderBag Thanks. You're so right, Miguel was saying it just yesterday, that already each match has had some kind of drama, some story developing and we're only three games in. Players will come to the fore who perhaps don't have the best stats, teams will defy the odds, a keeper may have the game of his life and so on.
That game was a typical smash and grab from Switzerland. France weren't at their best but dominated the match and that Cherki effort was the key moment that came back to haunt them. Then when that ball dropped in the box I felt sure that von Moos was going to bury it and steal the win. Then for France to miss all their penalties as well!

Anyway, we'd love you to pick another team as with any other manager whose team gets knocked out. It adds even more when forum members are involved. :)

As the tension begins to build at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster, the team sheets are handed in.

Romanian manager Florian Raducomciu springs a little bit of a surprise in defence, opting to move Zamfir into the centre with Leca and choosing Pucui and Sabangeanu at full back. Meanwhile he leaves out Tomu and goes for Screciu and Albu as his DM pairing. Tucaliuc gets the AM role. No surprise at CF though as dangerman Markovic starts.

Romania (4-2-1-3)

GK Andrei
CB Zamfir
CB Leca
RB Sabangeanu
LB Pucui
DM Screciu
DM Albu
AM Tucaliuc
RW Mihailia
LW Baicu
CF Markovic

Manager, Jonas Aisen, also surprises with Wurtz in goal, not that he is a downgrade as such, just that everyone had assumed Monty would start. The back four is as expected with Nielsen edging out Kitten for the left back slot. The surprise in midfield is no starting spot for Madsen as he opts to bring Tue Jensen back to DM to partner Bidstrup. V. Jensen gets the right midfield slot and Dyhr comes in on the left. It's Kaufmaan who is selected to partner Frederiksen up front.

Denmark (4-4-2)

GK Wurtz
CB Bloch
CB Ross
RB Norrestrand
LB S.Nielsen
DM Bidstrup
DM Tue Jensen
RM V. Jensen
LM Dyhr
CF Kaufmann
CF Frederiksen

With nothing much between the two sides this really could come down to who wants it most.

Hey guys does anybody know if there is anyway of getting pes 5 on Xbox one? Can get pes 5 for a tenner on Amazon but not sure if it backwards compatible on Xbox one or not

Hey guys does anybody know if there is anyway of getting pes 5 on Xbox one? Can get pes 5 for a tenner on Amazon but not sure if it backwards compatible on Xbox one or not
Non of the older titles are,same with FIFA.
It's fifa 14 and Pes 15 and up only

@MafiaMurderBagAnyway, we'd love you to pick another team as with any other manager whose team gets knocked out. It adds even more when forum members are involved. :)
Thanks, second roll of the dice, I'm going to take a gamble on the Russian youth. Something about what could be considered a successful World Cup last year by their standards would've surely boosted Russian motivation and confidence in the new generation of young players.

Youth Academies probably got a massive boost in financial backing by their government due to the enticement of officials hoping to recreate this success in the future.

The stance of football being a viable career for young men in Mother Russia is changing and lifting a trophy while representing The Sbornaya is now, something aspirational.

This changing of the guard begins here, In PES 6 & The World Youth Cup 2019!

World Youth Cup 2019 - Manager list

- Portugal - @miguelfcp

- Scotland - @Flipper the Priest

- England - @sniglet

- France - @MafiaMurderBag

- Netherlands - @jihado86

- Italy - @wildwind

- Norway - @mattmid

- Sweden - @Special4988 (temporary back seat driver until internet back on! :) )

- Russia - @MafiaMurderBag

Still Available: (in playing order)

Bulgaria through to Last 16
Switzerland (Saturday)
Spain (Sunday)
Romania (Monday)
Denmark (Monday)
Ukraine
Serbia
Ireland
Croatia
Brazil
Northern Ireland
China
Italy
Hungary
Austria
Peru
Russia
Germany
Poland
Greece
Belarus
Finland
South Korea
Belgium

So has anyone heard the news about The San Siro? One of footballs most iconic stadiums, is about to be demolished and replaced by another one of those bloody soup bowl, Allianz clones.

It was about a couple of weeks ago we were all hear discussing our distaste at the extermination of cultural stadiums and their recognizable character.

I would say that in a hundred years time there will be a whole generation of kids laughing at how old The Calderon, WHL and The Nou Camp looked in "The history of football" books, but then i remembered books will be eradicated and they'll be scrolling through this information their HUD's impanted into their brains Black Mirror style.

@MafiaMurderBag: Welcome back! Interesting choice, and I see where you're coming from. Agree with your take on it and I'll add, the renovation of the footballing infrastructures should also play a role. To think Zenit went from playing in this stadium to this one...

Hadn't heard about it, what the hell? Can't these clubs just respect their cultural heritage and renovate their stadiums whilst maintaining their own identity? Can't be that hard to do it, you just have to build upon (literally...) what you've already got instead of following the sheep and giving up the recognizable character you speak of to build yet another Allianz Arena.

A few days ago I posted the last match of my PES6 ML save and while I was writing about the fact that the match had been played in Delle Alpi - former Juventus' stadium - I realized that yet another great thing about retro-PES games is that you're able to play in stadiums that have been demolished/renovated. Interactive encyclopedias indeed. I get a funny kind of feeling when I play in the Rasundas, Delle Alpis, and soon San Siro as well...it's a magical experience.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Was about to say that. A good-ol' Slim, built like a tank and always ready to roll, is a must-have. It's the John Wayne of consoles. Quiet, strong, reliable and tolerates no bullshit - cuts to the chase.

@MafiaMurderBag:
Hadn't heard about it, what the hell? Can't these clubs just respect their cultural heritage and renovate their stadiums whilst maintaining their own identity? Can't be that hard to do it, you just have to build upon (literally...) what you've already got instead of following the sheep and giving up the recognizable character you speak of to build yet another Allianz Arena.
I can understand if the stadium's quality and safety isn't up to standard and is falling apart, Or in the case of Delle Apli, The attendance was low due to accessibility, and had poor sightlines due to the athletics track and was generally resented by fans... But yeah other than that couldn't they do the Anfield and Old Trafford route and just build a new stand?

A few days ago I posted the last match of my PES6 ML save and while I was writing about the fact that the match had been played in Delle Alpi - former Juventus' stadium - I realized that yet another great thing about retro-PES games is that you're able to play in stadiums that have been demolished/renovated. Interactive encyclopedias indeed. I get a funny kind of feeling when I play in the Rasundas, Delle Alpis, and soon San Siro as well...it's a magical experience.[/USER]
That was a touching tribute to the legendary Delle Apli. I made a similar remark a few weeks ago the day of Reyes passing in this thread about how the past is immortalised in these "silly old games."

Yeah I was only playing as him a couple of weeks ago in PES 5. It's something else I hold dear about Retro PES... I don't just play these games because they are good games, I play them because they're time capsules.

I boot the game up & I'm a kid again, in the presence of the squads & players I grew up watching. The sport has changed & we have an entirely new generation of players & I don't have the time to study the players from around the world like I used to, but in these ancient encyclopedias of Football, These players are immortalised in software.

They don't age & I don't have to dread the passing of time. Reyes truly will live forever in PES. In a team where most will have the fondest memories of him, in one of the best ever Arsenal sides.

Romania v Denmark

The sun was out as Romania got us underway.

The early play was all Romania as Albu and Screciu patrolled midfield, winning the ball back on several occasions and getting play moving forward.

3 minutes in and suddenly Romania were in. Tucaliuc played a lovely ball over the Danish defence as Markovic made his run, he had to take it on the stretch but made good contact...

Denmark were yet to get beyond midfield when on 8 mins Albu did well and worked a ball out on the right to Baicu. He drove a ball into the middle which Tucallic met first time but Ross was there to block.

Denmark finally made it through midfield and Dyhr got in down the right, sending in a low cross as he neared the goal line. Frederiksen's eyes lit up as he sprinted towards the incoming ball, but it was Zamfir who got there first with a brilliant sliding interception, then getting up in time to put off Frederiksson as the loose ball was put back in by Dyhr. Frederiksen only able to send his header high and wide.

On 14 minutes Denmark finally got a chance. Bidstrup fed Dyhr in space out to the right. He drove forward, skipping past Puciu as if he wasn't there. Driving into the penalty he let fly...

23 gone and Screciu, who along with Albu, had taken charge of the midfield now, fed a ball out to Mihailia on the right, who was standing in space near the halfway line. He controlled it and played it inside Nielsen as he approached him, finding Tucallic in the centre circle. He turn and bypassed Tue Jensen with a ball into Markovic. Markovic then brilliantly held it up with three players around him and spotted that Mihailia had continued his run down the right, leaving Nielsen in his wake. He laid it into his path about 5 yards outside the Danish box. With Nielsen desperately trying to grab him, he pushed on. Getting the ball out of his feet, he let fly...

Straight away Denmark moved forward and V.Jensen got away from his marker and made for the space out wide. He kept ahead of his man and got his cross in. Frederiksen rose out at the back post...

As Denmark plugged away a ball up towards Frederiksen was headed away by Zamfir who was having a solid game back there for Romania. A now bouyed Mihailia reacted first, knocking it past Tue Jensen in one motion as he collected it and slipped it to Albu who in turn found Screciu as the two combined for the umpteenth time this half. Screciu lent it to Jensen before getting it back, suddenly to his left Romania had a potential two on one. He gave it to the left back Puciu who drove forward into the space out wide before waiting until just the right moment to knock it to Baicu who had a clear space to send in a first time cross. Screciu who had sensed something was on had continued his run from midfield. He arrived in the box but just failed to make contact, the ball cannoning off the Danish defender and heading back towards goal, agonisingly for Screciu he again failed to make contact as he stumbled over from his initial effort to reach the ball. With the keeper also unable to grab it both teams watched the ball roll just wide of the post in a big let off for the Danes.

35 mins in and Baicu is played in down the left near the penalty area. Norrestrand gets across well though to block and it's out for a corner. Tucaliuc sends the corner over and as the Danish defence is caught static, it's Mihailia again as he makes a run for the ball, leaping high...

ht.JPG

Romania in a deserved lead at the break. Albu and Screciu are well on top in midfield. Markovic while not having been a threat in dangerous positions since his very early effort has constantly tracked back and won the ball from Denmark's midfield with robust challenges that the ref is happy to let go. Denmark need to find a way back into this game.

Jonas Aisen gives Dyhr just 7 minutes before deciding he's seen enough and within 4 minutes he's made the last of his two substitutions as he see's his half time 'rant' has made no difference. Romania are content to sit off, win the ball back and ping it around when they get it.

At the risk of repeating myslef Albu and Screciu link up agan to play in Puciu, he feeds it into the area and only a good sliding challenge from Norrestrand prevents Baicu from having a shot. From the corner Wurtz dropped the ball, but just when he thought his day was going from bad to Wurtz (sorry!) Ross was in quick to hack it clear.

Next, Tucaliuc won the ball in the centre circle, slid it to that man Albu who with substitute Bergman closing him down, hit a lovely first time ball over the Danish defence. Markovic chased it, getting ahead of the defence, but Wurtz finally had a moment he could be pleased about with a diving punch at the edge of his area to just get it away.

The Danes pushed forward and huffed and puffed a bit but frankly had The Three Pigs been inside the Romanian penalty area instead of a house it would have been a different fairy tale altogether.

Tempers began to flare as twice in three minutes Albu was hacked down as the the Danes by that time had seen more than enough of him on the ball. On 76 minutes the Romanian contingent in the packed crowd chanted Mihailia's name as their two goal hero was substituted.

On 83 minutes Albu was once again brought down. This time on the corner of the Denmark penalty area. Tucaliuc stepped up and played the ball in. Markovic rose to meet it...

Romania were still playing it around nicely as Denmark battled to try and get something going, feeling that if they could just nick a goal maybe they could stage a late, late comeback.

88 minutes in and Markovic had the ball in mifield, he knocked it back to Screciu. He fed Tucaliuc who drove forward with the ball into Denmark's half, he then played a nice ball into space for Markovic. He took it in his stride, held off the challenge of Norrestrand and let rip...

A minute later Tucaliuc, who was having a marvelous second half, slid a ball through the Danish back line. Pitu chased after it but Wurtz was out to just get there first.

A couple of minutes added time were seen out comfortably by Romania and the victory was there's!

fulltime.JPG

A thoroughly professional performance from the Romanians. Chances were at a premium over all but they made theirs count and had the better chances all game. Their defence handled Denmark very well and but for one free header from Frederiksen that he put wide never gave them a sniff of a goal. Opponents beware.

M.O.M A tight call but it goes to Screciu. Both he and Albu were excellent in midfield, never giving the Danes a moments peace. He started several moves and almost finished one himself. He's set a marker for the tournament with that display in midfield.

Worthy mentions: For Screciu's midfield mate Albu who was M.O.M on another day and of course two goal man Mihailia who played well throughout and took his two chances very well. Markovic, in flashes, also proved what a danger he could be in this tournament and worked very well off the ball for his team as well.

A day to forget: Rumours are that that Jonas Aisen could well have just managed is last game. His decision to leave out Monty and put Wurtz in goal proved to be a mistake. His error led to the first and a dropped cross later on could have led to another goal.

Back
Top Bottom