The Master League adventures thread

great reading prof nutmeg.iv jus finished patching my ps2 2008 game updated transfers an all gonna start a new ML with Newcastle in Div 2.Ijus wanted to ask u a few things m8..

what pes u playin on?
you have obviously played it alot and must be a good player against AI like me how to you make it harder souns stupid i know but i wouldnt mind a season battling it out near the bottom end hoping for a good cup run ect

last ml i did with man city i finished 3rd,1st,2nd won the div 1 cup first season and second and champions league second season i didnt really buy ppl like kaka ect but my team became just too good suppose after being cheated by the AI over the years i should have carried on and just crushed them

I'm playing PES2009 on PS2. I'm not that great a player, at least not these days, as i play a lot less. I always enjoy playing with the lesser teams and keeping my transfers realistic.

I picked FC Volendam, perhaps the worst team in the club game, so i had my work cut out. But over time the players develop somewhat. After keeping the majoity of the squad together over the seasons, they've gelled well, which resulted in last season's great finish.

I think some people get bored because they pick a biggish team, buy top players and win things within a season or two. For me, i spent the first three seasons trying to win the domestic cup, knowing i was going to get nowhere in the league. Finally my perserverence has paid off, after a great start to the last season and now i have my cherished Euro qualifying spot. My team still looks prety much the same as a few seasons ago bar the few newer players. Sometimes i even buy back a player who left (as you see sometimes in football). I've become quite attached to some of my players, a couple of which are possibly my favourites in the game.

I'm playing PES2009 on PS2. I'm not that great a player, at least not these days, as i play a lot less. I always enjoy playing with the lesser teams and keeping my transfers realistic.

I picked FC Volendam, perhaps the worst team in the club game, so i had my work cut out. But over time the players develop somewhat. After keeping the majoity of the squad together over the seasons, they've gelled well, which resulted in last season's great finish.

I think some people get bored because they pick a biggish team, buy top players and win things within a season or two. For me, i spent the first three seasons trying to win the domestic cup, knowing i was going to get nowhere in the league. Finally my perserverence has paid off, after a great start to the last season and now i have my cherished Euro qualifying spot. My team still looks prety much the same as a few seasons ago bar the few newer players. Sometimes i even buy back a player who left (as you see sometimes in football). I've become quite attached to some of my players, a couple of which are possibly my favourites in the game.

That's the reason I moan like a bitch about the leagues in PES and wanting the full system, like that other title :P; I don't just want to play with gods, I want to start at the bottom and learn my craft.
Build my team playing my way up through the leagues, making tough choices or having your stars poached and bringing in young talent on a shoestring. Two divisions is not enough...:PIRATE:

Well, i've played a couple of my European qualifying group games and they've been fun.

FC Volendam 1-2 Roma
Roma bossed the first half and looked very comfortable on the ball and kept possession well. They also went forward in numbers. Totti could have opened the scoring early on with a free kick, but the Roman talisman was denied by the crossbar, having beaten Zwinkels. Baptista then grabbed the opener as he charged through my defence. De Rossi added another early in the second half when Zwinkels failed to gather a shot.
We pulled one back when an incisive run and pass by Ent picked out Sheotahul alone in the box. The striker swept the ball into the net as Volendam began to impose themselves on the game. Chances were squandered however, as the Italians held on to win.

Dynamo Kiev 0-4 FC Volendam
van Zaanen grabbed the first with a well taken header from a corner. Sheotahul added a second when he capitalised on a defensive mix-up. De Wit's second half long range scorcher made it three and an own goal, following a van Zaanen shot, sealed a comprehensive victory in Kiev. This result also equals my best win to date with the club.

FC Volendam 2-2 Bordeaux

Another cracking CL/Uefa Cup qualifier last night against Bordeaux. Twice i came from behind to equalise. I have to say Cavenaghi is like my nemesis or something in PES. The guy always scores against me and often more than once per game. Last night was no exception.

The Argentine striker bagged a brace of headed goals. His first came early in the first half. This was cancelled out by van Zaanen's equaliser just before half time. Bordeaux then put their noses in front once again, when the Argentinian headed his second goal, midway through the second half. As time began to run out, i instructed Bakens to move upfield and in the 89th minute the giant defender equalised from close range after some frantic play in the visitors' box. 2-2 the final score.

I'm currently third in group D with four points at tyhe half way point. Above me are Roma and Bordeaux, while Dynamo Kiev are below me and yet to register a point. I reckon two more points could see my Euro adventures continue, most likely in the Uefa Cup.

Just a quick question I know some people hate re-gens in ML such as Maldini coming back as an 18yr old but can we edit them in edit mode after change their name and appearance so when you go back in ML they arent called Maldini ect??

I was hoping to start a fresh Master League file and I was wondering, to give myself a challenge, should I throw in all the best in the world in one league? I used to do this on the earlier PES games but it destroyed the European competitions.

@saintric, I'm guessing player stats can't be changed once you start the Master League so that's not possible.

sorry i wasnt meaning the stats as i know this cant be changed once the ML has started but i meant the appearance height name ect can be changed even after a ML has been started

so surely those who hate re gens could change these players names app ect in edit mode as an when they retire in the ML?

So i managed to qualify for the CL group stages proper. I've ended up in a group of death with Barcelona, Milan and Chelsea :CONFUSE:
Uefa cup it is then, i'm thinking.

Anyway, i played the first group game, away to Barcelona (at least i get to play in nice stadiums). I went for a xmas tree formation, with Sheotahul up front on his own, supported by van Zaanen and Narsingh. Naturally i conceeded instantly, Iniesta scoring on 4 minutes. Barca dominated the game for most of the play, although i had a little window where i fashioned some chances. One such instance in the second half, resulted in an equaliser - van Zaanen crossed to find Narsingh unmarked in the box, who calmly guided the ball past the keeper.

Amazingly and totally against play, Volendam grabbed another to edge in front, stunning the Catalans. Narsingh again, rose highest to a De Wit corner.

With 30 odd minutes left, i tried to hold on, but Barca came back strong. Henry eventually grabbed the equaliser, but i'm more than happy with the result.

Great result with Volendam...

Some news about my PSP ML with USC Palermo.
I'm in my first season after the january transfer window.
After a reasonably good start (3 wins), Palermo lost 0-6 to Milan and 1-0 against Lazio. After that they played a 1-1 draw against the two teams that were leading Serie A at that moment (Juventus and Inter). Since that last draw Palermo are cruising: 16 consecutive wins. The last being a 1-3 win at the San Siro against Milan (good revenge).

After all these wins Palermo are second now, one point behind Inter and Juventus are third (4 points gap with Palermo).

I didn't transfer any players... Miccoli, Cavani, Bresciano and Fabio Aurelio (i'm not so sure if that name is correct, he's a Brazilain CMF) are great players...

A 6-0 defeat gerd. You took 'one hell of a beating,' as that Norwegian football commentator famously once said.

I forgot to mention that this is my 5th season at FC Volendam, so it's taken me four seasons to get into Europe. It feels good when you finally get there :SMUG:

hi everybody, I have this game for a while but I haven't bothered playing ML until the las couple of weeks.

I set it on Top Player, and ML difficulty on Very Hard.
10min

I also chose 'Create a new team', so the can have an identity of their own

---------------------------OCHOA gk-------------------------------------
------------------KOMPANY cb ---------RAMI cb---------------------------
-----MICAH RICHARDS rb--------------------------------------------------
------------------------------OTTL dmf----------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------WENST lwb-------------
------------------------GOURCUFF cmf------------------------------------
-------IRELAND rmf----------------------RAKITIC amf---------------------
-------------------BIRSA ss---------------------------------------------
-------------------------------SULEJMANI cf-----------------------------

Bench:

IVAROV
STEIN
BAUMANN
LIEBERMANN
JARIC
GERSEN
EL MOUBRAKI (?)
DODO
MACCO
RUSKIN
VAN DEN BERG
XIMELEZ
ETTORI
FOUQUE
GUTIERREZ
CASTORO
ROMEO CASTELEN

As you may notice, I still have A LOT of the original players.. and that is because i'm just past through the winter transfer period of my second season (1st on 1st division).

You know that when you choose 'Create a new Team' you get the default ML players PLUS 1000pts to buy some others you may afford.
I got Gourcuff (the captain ever since), and this guy Sulejmani, who i had no idea of but had nice stats plus he was 19yo.

Well, Gorcouff was the assist leader and MVP for both the league and cup on 2nd division, and Sulejmani was the Pichichi for both competitions as well.

They both developed incredibly well and by the transfer period in the middle of my 1st time on 1st division, Gourcuff is the total assist leader and, Sulejmani is like in 4th place of total goal scorers, just behind beasts like Benzema and Torres.

BTW my team rating is A.

NOTE: I play on PS3 but as the MasterLeague thread is dead over there.. :)

Last edited:
Oh, I finished the leage already and I came in 1st! Won the D1 cup too in my D1 debut yay!

Sulejmani came as goal scorer for the league and Gourcuff as the assist leader.

I'm now in the transfer period and I'm dying to sign Arda Turan.
Pique is on free, so I might try getting him, there is a guy called Nicolita who can play almost anywhere on the pitch and Ballotelli is unhappy @ Inter.. so they might be my next signings..
I would also like to get another GK, any suggestions? There is a 17yo called Huber with decent stats..

I would also love to get Sissoko & Guardado, but they seem very unlikely to come to my team :(

BTW, my team's rating is now 'S' :D

In my previous post i talked about 16 consecutive wins...welkl Palermo's run ended there and that in the most stupid way.
The 17th match was against lazio and Palermo won 1-2...before the system saved it, the game "blocked" and i had to restart my PSP and PES...the reset prevention feature made it a forfeited match: 5-0 loss.

Afterwards Palermo kept on winning and more important leaders Inter lost a match...

Then Palermo had to play both leaders in consecutive matches: first a 2-1 win against Juventus (after being led) and then an unbelievable 1-5 win at the Giuseppe MEazza against Inter. That last match was the perfect match: Miccoli opened the score after barely 1 minute and from then on Palermo was 'in thezone'...

Palermo are now leaders and can win the serie A...

This may be considered spamming but as a active member of the forums I'm taking a liberty lol
Anyone who had been to my previous blog, I thank you for having a look, after the small success it's had so far, I've decided to upscale
So now please have a look at http://www.gibfootballshow.co.uk
Bookmark it as more content is coming soon.
Any thoughts please comment on my site.
Already planning to change to header, just threw something up there for now.

So i've started my new ML with RKC Waalwijk in the 'Franco-Lowlands League' (Eredivisie + Belgian and select French clubs) :)) As is traditional i lost my opening game 2-1 to Nijmegen, despite taking the lead. I'm toying with the formation. I'm more equiped for a 4-3-3, but i liked the 4-5-1 i used with FC Volendam (last PES). May switch between the two depending on the opposition.

Good to see some useful changes in the ML. Transfers start at the beginning of the season (like next gen). You can now loan players for the first half of the season or the whole season.

You now only have seven subs on the bench, who you choose before the game. I've wanted this for a while, as it makes you think more tactically about who you might need. The ad boards seem to be more league specific too.

m1czxh8a66e3.jpg

Charlison Benschop

After losing my first four opening games, some of which were very tight, it was hard to see where my RKC Waalwijk would get its first points. Chances seemed slim and goals were sparse. The answer however came on Day 5, against Sparta Rotterdam.

After going 2-0 behind, Belgian forward Benjamin De Cuelaer inspired a comeback with a second half brace. Striker Charlison Benschop then added a winner within the last ten minutes.

The Sparta game lifted our spirits for the next fixture against Willem II. Benschop struck again to take us 1-0 up, only to see the visitors equalise soon after. Waalwijk stepped up a gear as Benschop struck twice more to grab his hat-trick. 3-1 the final score.

As usual, i'm getting to know my players in the first few games and still deciding on a formation and my best line-up. It's funny that one player i thought i wouldn't like, Derk Boerrigter, has actually impressed me. His stats are really nothing, but he can create and follow up in that SS role on the left, where i currently play him.
At the moment Benschop has claimed the CF role with his impressive display in the last two games. However, before that he wasn't impressive at all and nobody appeared hungry to claim the poistion as their own. I keep my giant striker Kevin Vink (6ft8, 202cm) on the bench as an impact target man for now.

Yeah he's been in PES a while, at least in the recent incarnations. I also use him as a SMF/WF.

I also meant to say. It's great being able to loan players for a whole season now. I'm pretty strapped for cash, so it makes sense for me to loan in players (when neccessary) to bolster the squad. I can get a player for about 1500 (points) for a season long loan. So that means i can get 3, maybe 4 at a push, for the price of buying one player (4500-5000).

I've almost finished my first season with Braga and i'll have to augment the difficulty. Never won a league (second division) as easy as this one. At the moment, Porto who are second, are 29 points behind Braga.

Braga also play the final of the Coppa del Rey against Sporting Lisboa.

Only bought two players: the Argentinian (of course) Buonanotte and Jovetic (a litle bit unrealistic, this one).

Braga has some fine players from exotic locations, whic i love: Pena (Venezuela), Peterson (Haiti) and Kalaba (Zambia, i think), Ze Meyong (Cameroun). The best player is the Italian Possebon (DMF), he's on loan from Man Utd (irl). Also like the Portugese forward Yazalde a lot...

For the first time since PES6 i have a lot of fun with a ML.

29 points! :CONFUSE: Up that difficulty gerd.

I remember hearing that Possebon (he's Brazilian btw gerd ;) ) failed to make any impact at Braga irl and was to return early. I don't know what happened since though.

I remember hearing that Possebon (he's Brazilian btw gerd ;) ) failed to make any impact at Braga irl and was to return early. I don't know what happened since though.

Oh i already wondered, it would be strange for an Italian player to play in Portugal...i looked up Possebon in Football Manager and i read that Braga loans him (or loaned him at the beginning of the season) from Man Utd...i don't remember checking if he was Brazilian or Italian. In PES he's definately (or definitely, what is it exactly ?) an Italian...it wouldn't be the first time that Konami messes up with nationalities...

Although he was born in Brazil, Possebon was eligible for an Italian passport due to his father's ancestry. He applied for an Italian passport when signing for Manchester United, in order to avoid work permit legislation for non-EU citizens working in the United Kingdom.

Another one of those dual nationality players. I do find PES doesn't always allocate the correct nationality though. In his case i guess he may opt to play for Italy, as he has for the U20s. Although last time he had a Brazilian flag to his name.

Last edited:
Woo, i made it into Europe (Europa League) next season, with one game left.
It's been a struggle, fighting my way up there and then dipping in and out of those positions. I'm currently 7th and facing a closing fixture against Heerenveen. I'm guaranteed 8th (the last European place), even if i loose. But i could finish 5th or 6th, if results go my way. Not bad for my little old Waalwijk. PSV ran off with the title.
I have a feeling clubs will be after my best performing players in the off-season. I've earmarked potential replacements if neccessary, but as usual i don't want to buy many players and change my squad much. I quite like the season-long loan option now. Quite realistic as a small club.

Back
Top Bottom