The Master League adventures thread

I have to say, i've recently changed team tactics to C & C, so my back line defend deep and don't try the offside trick. For me, at least, i've noticed it doesn't put by defenders way out in the middle of nowhere. I've also tweaked a few player positions, such as pulling my forwards back a bit.
All this, along with the unassisted cursor has made for better gameplay, so it's picking up a bit for me.

Gameplaywise FIFA is miles ahead of PES.
I kind of like the graphics of PES, but that's a mere consolation and not important enough.
My five year old son is the only one who still plays PES09.
I'm fed up with the the cheating CPU...

If you loose in FIFA then CPU team was better, not so in PES...shame because i'm not completely convinced by the Manager Mode although i play it all the time...

PS: Newcastle is interested in Bryan Ruiz Prof...i hope for him he stays in Gent...

Looking ahead in my ML calendar (second half of the season), i have a Uefa Cup tie against Juventus on the horizon. I suspect i will fall at the first hurdle. I think i'll go with some sort of 4-5-1 away from home, marking key players from the midfield backwards.

In the league, Standard are flirting with mediocrity really. It's becoming a task to even reach the European places (roughly halfway through the season).

Cup. Knocked out by Le Mans in the second round, after a great fightback in the first leg, in which i drew 2-2, with two goals in the final five minutes. Le Mans then beat me 3-0 in the second leg.

Last edited:
Uefa Cup, Round 1, 1st leg
Standard 2
Juventus 2

Uefa Cup, Round 1, 2nd leg
Juventus 0
Standard 0

Oh so close. This was a real tight affair. Much closer than i anticipated, as Juve were bossing a lot of the play. Their players were clearly better on the ball than mine and were crafting lots of chances.

The first leg saw Juventus take an early lead through Iaquinta, only for me (Ivanschitz) to equalise by half time and then go 2-1 up, four minutes from time, through De Camargo. Unfortunately, late pressure from Juve saw Amauri squeeze in an eqauliser in the 90th minute.

Amauri's late goal was to be the decider, as the second leg finished goalless. Buffon was faultless in goal and we found it hard to pass him.

We're faring well in the league however. Five consecutive wins have seen us rise to 5th in the table, with 13 games left to play.

Bad luck Prof...do you still have much members of the original Standard squad ???

Steven Defour was really good in PES08 (PSP version).

IRL Blackburn would be interested in Jovanovic, but since he turned down Aston Villa, i can't see him join Blackburn...

He turned down Everton, gerd, not Villa.

Unlucky Prof. I have Juve in a UEFA Cup semi final in my current FIFA MM, lost the first leg 0-1 at home.

Ah yes, i knew i'd forgotten another club...he turned down Everton and Villa (according to the Belgian press, but who knows if that is true...).

Since we are talking about FIFA Manager Mode.
Still playing with Avellino.

I'm currently in my second season (haven't played much lately, i enjoy Wipeout HD too much) and Avellino is second in Serie A, one point behind AC Milan.

In the summer transfer window i bought Calaio (Siena), Ruiz (Gent) and Mbokani (Standard).

In the mid-season transfer window: Poccognoli (AZ 67), Cardozo (Boca Juniors), Albin (Getafe) and Criscito (Genoa).

There is a huge gap between Avellino and Sampdoria who are in third position. I think there is a big chance Avellino will be playing CL.

Which team are you playing with nerf ???

Well, at the end of my first season, the com bought a few of my best players, like Defour and Jovanovic. It's still mostly Standard players though.

Players i have since bought, who are in the starting XI, include: Vandenbussche(GK), Rendulic(DF) and Ivanschitz(MF). Within the squad, i have also since bought: Sajdak(FW), Folan(FW), Bakens(DF/MF), De Lange(MF) and Lacen(MF).

I really like my current squad and while i have a definitive starting XI, everyone gets a game.

Which team are you playing with nerf ???
Feyenoord. I started with De Graafschap, played about six seasons there I think, won one KNVB Cup. Then I fancied a change of scenery, took over mid-table Feyenoord and now, in my fifth (I think?) season with them, have just secured my first Eredivisie league title with about three games left to play. I've also won a couple of KNVB Cups with the club.

This UEFA Cup semi-final is the furthest I've gone in Europe by far, but I think I'll have my work cut out to overturn that away goal when we go to Turin. Could well be an all-Italian final if we don't manage it, Lazio are leading Bremen in the other semi.

Regardless of the outcome I'm planning on retiring this MM at the end of the season. I'll be starting anew in Spain's Segunda División when the data update arrives.

Is that the giant Tim Bakens, prof?

Is that the giant Tim Bakens, prof?

it is indeed. All 196cm of him.:D He and Dante share the holding midfield role. When i want to man-mark a particulalry dangerous attacking midfielder or SS, i play Dante, as he has a marking star. Bakens plays most others though. I like a super-tall midfielder. Bakens has netted once for me, a lovely placed shot from distance, about 30 yards.

I'm thinking of doing a future ML with FC Volendam, where i bought Bakens from. They also have Mathieu Boots who is 190cm. I find height a good attribute in PES for those midfield flick-ons and for defending corners. You can also spot your particular player very easily.

Last edited:
Wow, what a close one. At one point, the league title looked a distinct possibility, as i crept up the table and lodged Standard around 3rd/4th. Perhaps i ought to mention that i haven't won a Div 1 title in years in PES. Anyway, i managed to get a foothold in 3rd, with about seven games left and i had to face and beat the top two, PSG and Anderlecht, which i did. And so continued the excitement. I still had to rely on them slipping up however.
Unfortunately i went out of the title race with three games left, when i drew 1-1 with Caen. Second was still possible on the last day, however. I had to win and i needed Anderlecht to lose. Sadly Anderlecht won and i remained in third.
The good news is that i qualified for the following season's European qualifiers. My group looks like this:

Standard Liege
Arsenal
Steaua Bucharest
Le Mans

Fingers crossed i can have another crack in Europe. I reckon i can at least grab the Uefa cup slot (3rd).

I've had a storming start to my third season with Standard Liège.

Day 1:
Anderlecht 3-4 Standard (Mbokani hat-trick)

Uefa qualifier:
Arsenal 0-2 Standard

Day 2:
Standard 4-0 Vitesse (total football)

Day 3:
Le Mans 1-4 Standard (came back from 1-0 down)

Mbokani and De Camargo have started really well, with 4 and 3 league goals respectively. Ivanschitz is getting plenty of assists too. Tim Bakens scored against Vitesse, with a lovely drive from his deep midfield position. I love that guy.

Three league games and three wins. I'm top with 9 points, two points ahead of the chasing pack. Hopefully i can challenge for the title this season.

Best of luck with your title challenge, prof.

With Feyenoord I failed to overturn the deficite in the UEFA Cup semi, Juventus were just too strong (they went on to beat Lazio in the final). That was in fact the end of my fourth season with De club van het volk, for whom I'd delivered three pieces of silverware - two KNVB Cups, one Eredivisie title. Justified my appointment, I think.

I had intended to end the MM there, but with the data update still a week or two away I've given it a temporary extension to pass the time... I hopped on a boat out of Rotterdam, sailed the North Sea and passed under the Tyne Bridge, like a Ruud Gullit in reverse. Mostly because St James' Park exists in the game. Other Feyenoord exiles here include Royston Drenthe, who I tried and failed to lure back to De Kuip last season. If you can't poach 'em, join 'em...

I've enjoyed the first few matches greatly, partly because I'm finally facing new opponents after a decade in the same division, partly because I've bumped the match-length up from 10 to 15 minutes, and mostly because I've progressed to All Manual controls. With the high expectations on Tyneside it should be a fun challenge to tide me over.

I finally picked up PES again recently (indeed, i haven't played any computer games in a while).

So, following on from my above post. I'm still going reasonably well in the league. I led for a while, but i'm now a point behind league leaders Lille. I'm a few games off the halfway point and i'm trying to make the league a priority. I'm still in the Champions League (group stage proper), but i've only managed 2 points from 9, so far. However, second spot is still up for grabs, it seems and of course, the Uefa Cup spot. This is because of a great game i had at home against Bayern Munich, which made the group a bit tighter.

We began well, with Sajdak scoring in the second minute. However, it seemed too soon, as Bayern came back with three goals in the first half. I knew if i could get one back, it could make for an exciting finish. So come the second half, i made some changes upfront and around the 70 min mark Dufer found the net. Another sub, Namouchi, made it all sqaure with about five minutes remaining, when he latched onto a fine cross, sealing a memorable comeback.

Hey guys, after not playing pro for ages, I picked it up again after I moved house, and I started a ML with my fictional team Benidormida.

I've started a blog to post stories up, Season 1 is over so a short post on that.

Uploading a video of Season 1 clips to Youtube now.

More frequent updates coming now, hope someone reads it lol.

http://benidormida.blogspot.com/

Well done.

I've actually been playing away silently. I started another ML with FC Volendam. I must say it's quite challenging, as the players aren't great. Although i do have my rock at the back, Tim Bakens.

I've spent that last two seasons down in the lower half of Div 1. I only avoided relegation last season with a couple of games left and finished 17th.

Getting into the top 6 seems very hard, so the cup is my only way into Europe. This means i put out full strength sides in the competition. Last season i made the last 4 and this season, well just last night i qualified for Europe by reaching the final (vs Ajax, who are the League leaders). I edged past FC Twente in the semis, with a penalty shootout. I grabbed an 88th minute goal to take it into extra-time, woohoo! I actually hit the post in the 90th minute which could have been the winner. Instead i nervoulsy played through through ET and a dreaded shoot-out.

I'm going to try and beat Ajax of course, but it's nice to know i will be in the Uefa cup next season. Hopefully i don't draw someone big in the first tie.

European footy means i might be able to attract a decent player or two in the window.

It is gutting, think since it's my own created team, there's more feeling involved, I'm hoping for promotion this season, in with the big boys then I can start improving the team.

Hopefully i'll get my blog up to date with my ML tonight

Benidormida - Summer Signings

It was a very busy summer for Gibney and the rest of the Benidormida staff, after losing out on promotion, the emphasis was on improving the squad for an assault on the Secunda Division.
All the players arriving were on free transfers after being released by their clubs.
First in was Brazilian Central Midfielder Andre Leao, released by CFR Cluj He was very happy to join ex teammate Manual Jose in Spain.

He was quickly followed by Brazilian/Turkish Citizen Gorcek Vederson, the skillful player was released by Fenerbahce after his contract ended, he jumped at the chance to play for Gibney's side.

A few weeks went past and it was said that alot of players had said no to a contract in the Holiday resort, Chelsea's Paulo Ferreira one of the players reported to have said no.
Then a double signing was announced.

Malaga's Adrian Lopez and ex Milan defender Leandro Grimi signed on the dotted line, Adrian a striker and Grimi a Left back.

The last signing of the window was the shock of the summer, Ex Sevilla, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Atletico and Benfica forward Juan Antonion Reyes, was spotted in the Benidorm town, fans assumed he was just on holiday that was until Gibney called a press conference and revealed his newest signing, he will wear the #19 shirt, during a brief interview he was quoted as saying "I am delighted to be here, this is an exciting project and I want to be part of it, it is a great place to play and I can't wait to have the fans singing."

During the Media Reveal of the 5 players we had a quick word with manager Gibney

Reporter: So Mr Gibney are you happy with the players you have brought in?

Gibney: Of Course, I couldn't ask for any more 5 quality players and we have kept our transfer kitty, so there is room to strengthen again, I have no doubt these players will compliment what we have already and the team now has more depth to compete on both fronts.

Reporter: How did you convince Reyes to sign here in Benidorm

Gibney: Well I called Juan up and asked if he's be interested, he was without a club so looking for somewhere to play, I explain my vision to him, invited him down for a look and he was impressed with what we're doing, he was happy to sign, of course his wage wasn't bad either!

Reporter: Rumours have it that Ben Sahar and Remy has expressed their concern over the signing of 2 new strikers, what thoughts do you have on this?

Gibney: Every successful team has 4 quality strikers to help share the workload, and now we have 4 who can all play together in multiple roles and they will all get a chance to take this club forward.

Reporter: You used the 4-4-2 alot last season to mixed success, will the new signings change your style.

Gibney: Well I am not limited to one formation, and the new guys will help me and then team find a style that suits us, be it 4-4-2 4-3-3 1-1-8. You'll have to wait and see.

Reporter: Thank you for your time!

09/10 DIVISION 1 CUP FINAL

Ajax 0 - 0 FC Volendam
(FC Volendam win 5-4 on penalties)

I did it. I finally won some ML silverware in PES09. And what a tight game it was. The 0-0 score belies the action and indeed tension.

Ajax fullback Silva was dismissed on five minutes for hacking down Sheotahul outside the box. The Uruguayan was clearly the last man and denied my striker an attempt on goal.

Ajax dominanted most of the play, attacking through Leonardo on the flank and Luis Suarez through the middle.

Both keepers were on good form to deny all attempts.

A penalty shoot-out followed extra-time, seeing both keepers making a couple of great saves each. Sudden death penalties ensued, with right back Maynard scoring the decisive spot-kick for the underdogs.

A Uefa Cup spot next season was already booked by FC Volendam in reaching the final, but winning the D1 league cup has sealed it in style. I'm looking forward to Europe next season. :)

So after the jubilation of winning the cup, i finished 15th in the league, which is an improvement on last season's 17th.

I've decided to bolster my defence by signing Mark Otten from NEC Nijmegen, having been turned down by American defender Parkhurst. I've also decided i need a bit more bite going forward, particularly linking between the midfield and the strikers. I was snubbed by the Czech midfielder, Volesak and was unable to agree personal terms with 35 year-old Peruvian P. Garcia. I then moved for Costa Rican, Carlos Hernandez who was happy to move to Holland. I'm hoping his passing ability and eye for goal will add something. Unless anyone leaves, these are likely to be my only additions to my squad.

Next up, a friendly against Spartak Moscow, to see what i can expect in my forthcoming Uefa cup campaign.

Last edited:
Winter of Discontent.

The January Transfer window came and went, and no new players entered Benidormida's training ground on the outskirts of the city.

Captain Rens van Eijden was slightly critical of the coaching staff. quoted "We were hoping that some new players would join the team and help us moving forward, but the players that are here are good enough to get us promoted, we're all in this together."

The lack of signings was not from the lack of trying.

Gibney's main target was HAMMARBY striker Charlie Davies, the impressive young American striker, has apparently been in the managers plans since he saw Davies play in USA under 21 team, and not has burst onto the seen with a couple of impressive showing in the Confederations Cup in South Africa.

Hammarby however weren't up for losing their star striker, after several bids and contacts between the two clubs, it seems the clubs eventually agreed on a fee, but couldn't agree personal terms with the player before the window shut for the season.

Once the window shut, Benidormida were back in business, 2-1 wins over Hammarby and AIK led up to the D2 Cup Semi-Final against Numancia, Numancia took the lead after Berenguer's shot deflected off van Eijden and Ivarov couldn't change direction in time as the ball spun inside the post.

Justice was done in the second half when Benidormida equalised in similar circumstancesm Reyes shot, was saved, Adrian followed it in, got a touch on the ball and it was deflected and spun into the net, with 2 deflected goals the match ended 1-1.

The Spanish clubs luck ended there, against Liege a Vederson penalty opened the scoring in 2 minutes, and it was all benidormida until the 26th min when Mbokani finished off a superb breakaway move to equalise for the Belgians, then Liege took the lead on 51mins when Stremer was penalised for a bad tackle and Defour made no mistake with the penalty, The Spaniards had nothing in reply and lost the match 2-1, The next match looked to be going Benidormidas way Ben Sahar's 69th minute goal looked enough to defeat CLUJ until a defensive mix up in Injury time fell to Dubarbier and he made no mistake for the 1-1 draw.

Benidormida's push for Division 1 looks in threat the goals have dried up and the gap between 4th place Standard Liege was down to 1 point and the Belgians looking the stronger side.

With 7 games to go Gibney has alot of work to do.

The Road to the Final

After going 3 games without a win Benidormida travelled to Numancia knowing they had to score an away goal and possibly win to secure a place in the final, and they couldn't have got off to a better start. Reyes back in the team looked in great shape as he jinked down the right beating 2 men, floated a cross in to the back post and Sahar made no mistake with the header, The Numancia players heads were down, and 5 minutes later the heads sunk lower, Reyes played a lovely 1-2 with Sahar and calm as you like finished the move to make it 2-0 on the night.

A flash of hope was quickly dashed as Berenguer missed a penalty and Carlos Bellvis was sent off not long afterwards, another red card followed Ntbiazonkiza's mazy run for the third, Dominga Cisma seeing red, Numancia down to 9 men, the game was all over.

Benidormida for the 2nd season running had made the final, this time the opponents would be Hammarby in the San Siro.

The next match was a disappointment a 1-1 draw with Goteborg, again after taking the lead, making the game against Racing Santander a must win match.

With this in mind Gibney made some changes to the formation Ntibazonkiza moved to the left, reyes out wide left and Gokcek advancing forward in the centre of midfield.

Santander got off to a flyer, Benidormida caught flat at the back and Tchite finished well 1on1 with Ivarov.

The second half couldn't surely get any worse, and it didn't, 3 minutes in and Jose found Reyes with a lovely pass he beat 2 men, and beat the outstretched keeper.

Benidormida pressed forward and got a FK just on the edge, Reyes whipped it in, Ntibazonkiza gets a flick and it's deflected in 2-1.

They had a scent for win now, Grimi played a 1-2 with Jose and floated in a cross, Sahar met the ball and powered it home for a 2 goal lead.

With 8 minutes to go the game was all over, a fine 1 touch passing move between Gokcek, Jose to Sahar saw the Israeli poke the ball into the net, for a fantastic 4-1 victory, is this the result they needed.

The next game against Crvena Zvezda was a massive match, with River Plate and Cluj playing the chance to go top or at least second was at hand, 2 quick goals was all the match offered, Sahar's glancing header put the Spaniards ahead after 6 minutes but Cleo struck back 4 minutes later after a slick passing move to equalise, and the game fizzled out till the last minute, sub Loic Remy jinked and weaved in the box and was brought down.
Vederson had the chance to step up and win the game in injury time....but he missed. a disappointing draw.

CLUJ and RIVER had drawn, so Benidormida had missed the chance to go top of the league.

The next match was just as important the trip to the island of Malaga could prove pivotal in the chase for Division 1, a victory for Malaga would see them leapfrog into 3rd and Benidormida out of the promotion places.

And what a start for Gibney's side within 11 minutes they were 2-0 up both goals for talisman Reyes, the first a header from Vederson's cross, the second after a neat pass from Sahar, Reyes made no mistake.

Sahar made the game safe after 29 minutes glancing a header in from Reyes corner, Malaga got one back but it was not enough and Benidormida move to 2nd place with a victory.

With 3 games to go Benidormida find themselves on the same points as River Plate, and in the 2nd last game River Plate come to Benidorm for what could be the league decider.

AND THE WINNER IS...

3 games to go in the race for the title, River Plate and Benidormida tied at the top on 36 points, Standard Liege a further point behind in 3rd, Cluj and Malaga are just outside the promotion places on 34 and 32 points respectivley.

Gibney's side faced a tough away trip to Finland to play HJK HELSINKI, they would be without Reyes who picked up an injury in the Cup match.

It was Reyes replacement Loic Remy that made the 1st goal, he played in Sahar through on goal, Sahar's shot was saved but the reboud fell straight at his feet, he made no mistakes this time.

Disaster again for Benidormida defensively, they had only had the lead for 5 minutes a break down the right, the cross was floated in and Roiha made no mistake and equalised, why can't this team hold a lead.

It was up to Sahar to save the team again, Remy tricked his way upfield cut inside played a pass towards Sahar and he did the rest, fantastic first touch beat the defender, and the first time shot was drilled by the keeper, 2-1 the game was over the 3 points travelling back to Spain.

River Plate had also picked a victory so it was all set up for 2 weeks time in the COSTA DEL SOL

BENIDORMIDA v RIVER PLATE a win for either team would surely hand them promotion to Division 1 and more importantly the Championship.

River had won the game 2-0 the last time they met and quite convincingly too, Could Benidormida deliver the best payback of all.

However to make things a little spicier, If the game ends in a draw and Cluj pick up 3 points, we will have a 3 way tie with 1 game to go.

The game started with a frantic pace, Benidormida forcing 2 corners very early, the 2nd corner, Reyes swung it, it was headed out but only as far as Vederson, he hit the shot first time, terrible luck for River it deflects of a defender and beats everyone and finishes in the back of the net 1-0.

River were pinned back in their own half, another corner, Reyes took it again, everyone missed it, and in the confusion the defenders lost Sahar, and he took full advantage and fired the loose ball into the net 2-0 what a dream start for the Spanish, could River recover 2-0 down after 5 minutes.

They had an answer 4 minutes later, River attacked down the right, a neat cross was played in, Flores first touch beat everyone and he finished calmly to make it 2-1, and it was soon level, another River attack this team down the right Ponzio picked up the ball 30 yards from goal, he beat 2 men cut inside and his shot was too hot for Ivarov and it screamed past him unbeleivably River were now level.

Bendiormida woke up 10 minutes before half time, the returning Reyes, started a run down the left, beat his man out wide, cut into the box, played a low ball across the box and who was there to pounce non other than Sahar and his finish was as good as the pass, the Spaniards again in the lead 5 goals in the first half surely the second half couldn't get any better.

Probably the biggest cheer came during the interval the stadium announcer read out the scores and the shock was CLUJ had lost, so the winner would be 3 points ahead of 2nd and 4 off 3rd, the Spanish fans were buzzing.

River came out all guns blazing, but those guns were halted on the 57th minute, Sahar played Reyes through, only the keeper to beat, Gerlo slide in from behind, took Reyes down and the referee had no choice, the red card was shown, River down to 10 men.

That killed the game, River didn't have one more shot on goal, and Gibney's side were happy to play out time.

On the whistle the stadium errupted, Benidormida had gained promotion to the 1st Division, and with a point from the last game they would be crowned champions.

Could Gibney's side settle down for 2 last games and lift both the League Cup and League Title

Back
Top Bottom