The Jupiler League thread !!!!

Professor Nutmeg said:
:lol:

Gerd, pleased with the San Marino result?

I'm absolutely euphoric with this fantastic result against one of the big football forces in Europe...Didn't even bother to watch the game...i've read in the paper that Kevin Vandenbergh (the son of Belgian's best striker ever Erwin Vandenbergh)scored a beautifull goal on his debut match...That's typically for this useless coach: when all is lost he finally decides to give playing opportunity to our biggest attacking talent. Vandenbergh is a very good striker who would do well in teams like Celtic or Middlesborough...not the big teams, but good teams...

In one of the next qualification tournaments i would like to see Belgium play against my beloved Liechtenstein...that could be a tough nut to crack as Lichtenstein already have 8 points in their qualification group...Anyone who likes football should read "Stamping grounds" a book about the qualification tournament for the WC of 98 or 2002 of Liechtenstein. Since reading this book i have an enormous sympathy for Liechtenstein and their players.

Don't Lichtenstein have only one professional club, FC Vaduz? And they play in the Swiss second tier. Their stadium, the Rheinpark Stadion, was only bulit recently too (1996). The first in the country, no?

Correct Prof...
And harry...we could learn a valuable lesson from England too: how too qualify....
This said mathematically Belgium still can go to Germany, but we know better...

Results of the 5th match day in the Jupiler League.

AA Gent - Racing Genk 2-0
Charleroi - Roeselare 1-1
Anderlecht-Moeskroen 3-1
Westerlo - Brussels 3-0
Zulte-Waregem - GBA 2-1
La Louvière - Cercle Brugge 0-0
Standard - Beveren 1-3
Club Brugge - Sint-Truiden 2-1
Lokeren - Lierse (match stopped due to excessive rainfall)

Standard lost their first match against FC Ivory Coast (Beveren).
Charleroi scored the most curious/stupid goal i ever saw. Roeselare keeper had put the ball down and was assuming that their would be a free kick. The ref said "play on" but the GK didn't understand him. A Chareleroi forward was clever enough to know what was happening...he went unchallenged for the ball while the GK was quietly standing near his goal and he scored...to GK's astonishment the goal was a valid one...poor man....
Zulte-Waregem - GBA was some kind of match too. GBA was leading 0-1 till the 85th minute. Then subsequently one GBA player was excluded, Zulte-Waregem equalised, two more GBA players were excluded, a filed player had to play GK and Zulte-Waregem scored the winner...
Brussels lost again...they played a very poor match. Their Brazilian striker De Camargo was injured and without him they are a hopeless bunch of loosers...
Anderlecht are leaders, but did not impress against Mouscron a relegation team...they will have to play much better against Chelsea if they hope to win points in London.
Brugge won 2-1 against Sint-Truiden. Portillo did not score on his debut, but he played a satisfying match. Brugge too, was far from convincing considering their CL match against Juventus (who seem in very good form with an a-typical 4-0 win.

But who knows, maybe both Belgian clubs can surprise...let's stay optimistic.

That's the appeal Belgian clubs have...i've read in a Belgian paper that Chelsea don't expect a full capacity Stamford Bridge againt Anderlecht...
Personally i prefer Anderlechts playing to Brugges but somehow i think Club Brugge will play better...
I sincerely hope that Chelsea will give Anderlecht a very rough game because sunday it's Brussels-Anderlecht: the biggest match of the world for a Brussels fan...and usually they beat us...but maybe they will be tired and demoralized...one can always hope...

Yesterday i saw a Mourinho press conference about Chelsea-Anderlecht. Mourinho told the press that his players are impressed by Anderlecht after seeing the video he had made (himself!!!) about Anderlecht...That must have been one of the shortest and most carefully edited videos in the history of football...

In my previous post i said i think that Brugge will perform better than Anderlecht in the CL. Well maybe forget the first match against Juventus...Brugge have 7 injured first team players...

I hope you win a big amount of money FD...soon you will have extra expenditure...it may be convenient...

:lol: LOL...................I know mate, I'm already trying weird and wonderful things for money..............hmmmm, that doesn't sound too good, not THAT weird of stuff!! :mrgreen:

FD

Well, Anderlecht have a CL record!!!! They are the first team in the history of the CL to lose 8 consecutive matches...a record that could last long...
I've seen the last 30 minutes of the match and i have to say that judged on that relatively short period the difference between Chelsea and Anderlecht was not that big.
In the morning papers however, the Belgian press was quite severe for Anderlecht and their coach Vercauteren. Allegedly the goal was a GK error by Zitka...I must say that i don't understand Vercauteren. With Proto we finally have another great GK and what doe he do...he rotates GK's...a guy like Proto has to play every match...now he only played one competitive game for Anderlecht (and admittedly was not good, but that doesn't surprise me)...Proto should get 15 or 20 matches the chance to prove himself. Anderlecht will discovzer that they have one of Europe's best young goal keepers and could sell him for a huge amount to a big club (i read in an interview with Proto that Arsenal were after him but that by then he had already promessed to sign for Anderlecht). Another strange thing was the fact that Wilhelmsson did not play from the beginning of the match...when he came in Anderlecht looked a litle bit threatening. The morning papers mentioned that Anderlecht played very cowardly and that they never even tried to win...after the match Vercauteren was clearly relieved that they only lost 1-0...I think with retrospect Anderlecht will see that perhaps they had an opportunity to come away with a point...
And then there is one other point that was painstakingly clear to me. i was a litle bit shocked by the way Anderlecht wasted their corners and free kicks near the Chelsea goal...If you clearly are the underdog (and a very defensive one) you should concentrate on these standard situations...but yesterday Anderlechts corners and free kicks were very sloppy and never created even remote danger...this is typical for Belgian football...(with the exception perhaps of Brugge and of Wesley Sonck's free kicks for the national team).
Let's see what Brugge does against Juventus...

A late reaction about Brugge-Juventus.
Juventus were really brilliant in the first half...a real machine...it could have been 0-5 by half-time but Brugge's GK was mraculous (and had luck). Still it was 0-0 at half time.
Ironically Brugge started to play better in the second half and it was the that Juventus scored two goals (a great second by Trezeguet after a fantastic assist from Camoranesi). Brugge seemed KO and the suddenly they scored and Vieira got sent off...the last 5 minutes were a thriller...
But of course Juventus deserved to win, i've never seen them stronger than wednesday (and i'm not quite sure that Brugge was weak).

I think I'll be asking for your ace prediction in the Belgian league. I like doing a footy coupon (bet) every week, so you maybe of use for getting the lowdown for Belgium. :mrgreen: ;)

FD

I would be glad to help, but success is not garanteed..
Anyway this is an important for me. Sunday is the day of the "Brussels Old Firm"-clash between my beloved Brussels and Anderlecht (to be honest in rivalry and intensity it comes nowhere near the real Old Firm).
Of course Anderlecht are favourite, but once in a while Brussels (and before them RWDM) succeeds in winning points against Anderlecht. I remember one particular match wher Anderlecht totally dominated RWDM but did not succeed to score...RWDM came only once in the Anderlecht box but they scored and won the match: great...
Let's hope something similar happens sunday... but we all know better don't we...so for your coupon FD, the safest bet is to say that Anderlecht will win this match...

YES...YES...YES
Brussels - Anderlecht 1-1
A big success fot the litle Brussels club who was the better team.
Anderlecht was good in the first half but did not score.
In the second half Brussels clearly was the better team but it was Anderlecht who opened the score....or should i say Brussels with an unfortunate own goal.
And then Anderlecht goalkeeper Proto made a mistake again...he let a ball slip from his chest and was forced to make a foul...Brussels scored from the subsequent penalty. After that equaliser Brussels could have made the winner, but to be fair Anderlecht could have scored in the last minute...
I'm very happy with this point...a win would have been better but Anderlecht has much more money and much better players...

The results of the 6th leg of the Jupiler league:

Mouscron- AA Gent 1-2
Brussels - Anderlecht 1-1
Cercle Brugge - Standard 0-3
Lierse - Charleroi 0-0
Sint-Truiden - Lokeren 1-2
Beveren - Club Brugge 0-1
GBA - La Louvière 1-1
Roeselare - Westerlo 0-2
Genk - Zulte Waregem 3-1

Brugge won against the 9 Ivorians, 1 Malinese and 1 Frenchman from Beveren but boy they were weak...In the second half they were totally dominated by the Africans of Beveren who can play astonishing good football but who are not very effective...To be fair, Stijn Stijnen (the second GK of Brugge) played a second terrific match in a few days...The winning goal was scored by young forward Yulu Matondo (who already scored against Juventus)...he's 19 year old and a very good player...Finally Blondel could be on the pitch right from the start after his very good second half against Juventus. Blondel is one of Belgium's best players but for some reason he has difficulties to gain first team experience with Brugge...
After their victory against Cercle Brugge, Standard are leaders again (Cercle Brugge is uptil now by far the weakest team of the division).
Racing Genk finally has managed to win it's first match...
Westerlo have won again...
The ranking after six matches:

1 Standard 15
2 Anderlecht 14
3 Brugge 14
4 Westerlo 13
5 Lokeren 10 (one match less)
6 Zulte Waregem 10
7 AA Gent 10
8 Charleroi 10
9 Roeselare 7
10 Racing Genk 7
11 Beveren 6
12 Sint-Truiden 6
13 BRUSSELS 6
14 Lierse 5 (one match less)
15 GBA 4
16 LA Louvière
17 Mouscron 3
18 Cercle Brugge 1

After 6 matches it seems that the title race will be between Anderlecht, Brugge and maybe Standard. Westerlo could create a surprise but normally should compete with Genk, Lokeren and GEnt for UEFA Cup.
Relegation will go between Cercle Brugge, Mouscron, La Louvière and (maybe) Brussels.
Both newly promoted teams Roeselare and Zulte Waregem have begun very good..before the start of the season they were considered as relegation fodder by the pundits...

Oh and then there is the first possible january transfer rumour: Anderlecht would be interested in Scottish forward Derek Riordan from Hibernian...
Is he any good FD or CD???

Riordan is a decent forward with potential , but just that tbh I dont know if the guy could cut it at a team like Anderlecht , Im not sure If Celtic where thinking about signing him at soem point FD will proberly b able to give u more info than me there.

Hey Gerd have been busy lately and haven't had time to really follow Jupiler league or your reports but I wanted to ask.

Is Anderlecht playing Silvio Proto or are they wasting this great GK on bench as we suspected ? ](*,)

And Finally I never heard about this but I heard Gregory Pujol formerly of Nantes is now playing in Anderlecht. So how is he doing? Has he played yet? Has he scored yet. I dont know if he'll be regular first choice player, I like him he's descent but nothing special and Anderlecht is a big club so we'll have to see if he gets any regular playing time but for now keep me updated about these 2 issues.

take care

Thankfully I never managed to put Anderlecht on my coupon. :mrgreen: I'll maybe ask for your bumper bet this weekend.

As for Riordan, he's a promising player as has been mentioned. Very good technically and got a good eye for goal. Think Anderlecht would probably bring him on better. Although not sure if he's as good as people make him out to be, Celtic and Rangers where linked with him, but tbh I wouldn't actually think it would be worthwhile considering the fee and what we already have.

I think he'll be a decent player in time, but nothing special.

FD

PLF Proto has played two matches for Anderlecht unfortunately he made mistakes in both matches...currently there is a big discussion going on in the papers about the rotation system Anderlechts coach is using for his GK's.
Former GK's like Pfaff, Preudhomme, Bodart, De Wilde and De Vlieger (not quite a former yet) all agree: let Proto play...he is great...just show him that you have confidence...but to be honest Naderlecht is a very strange club...the pressure is enormous for GK's.
About Pujol: he hasn't played yet...i don't understand why Anderelcht have bought him..they should have bopught a central midfielder instead because in Europe Zetterberg and Vanderhaeghe are useless IMHO. But coach Vercauteren is a funny guy...he even plays often without Wilhelmsson in his team (he's their best player, i'm sure FD will agree with me). I'm not sure about Vercauteren, either he is worthless or very ,very good...the new Mourinho...

Currently he is playing the last minutes of the first big match of the season between leaders Standard (his team) and Brugge...i'll report about that tommorow...
(PS: how did things went in the Belgian restaurant???).

Stan said:
PLF Proto has played two matches for Anderlecht unfortunately he made mistakes in both matches...currently there is a big discussion going on in the papers about the rotation system Anderlechts coach is using for his GK's.
Former GK's like Pfaff, Preudhomme, Bodart, De Wilde and De Vlieger (not quite a former yet) all agree: let Proto play...he is great...just show him that you have confidence...but to be honest Naderlecht is a very strange club...the pressure is enormous for GK's.
About Pujol: he hasn't played yet...i don't understand why Anderelcht have bought him..they should have bopught a central midfielder instead because in Europe Zetterberg and Vanderhaeghe are useless IMHO. But coach Vercauteren is a funny guy...he even plays often without Wilhelmsson in his team (he's their best player, i'm sure FD will agree with me). I'm not sure about Vercauteren, either he is worthless or very ,very good...the new Mourinho...
I see.

I say the same as those former GK's. LET Silvio Proto PLAY! Every goalkeeper makes mistakes and unfortuantely some make 1 per year while some may do in 3 matches in a row. His confidence i'm sure is down already so best they can do is say we have great faith in you Silvio and give him support/confidence and continue to play him and then you never know, he might turn out to be one of the world's best goalkeepers in few years.

As for central midfield, I tend to agree, Zetterberg was great player but he's getting on a bit now and Vanderhaeghe is great hardworking player but they just don't have enough spark in him to be able to do something in Europe.

Anyways keep me up with Pujol and how he does when he gets to play and yes I must say it sure takes a lot of balls or confidence in your other players when you don't play Christian Wilhelmsson who clearly is their best player and has in last couple years become an integral part of Sweden NT as well.

Yesterday league leaders Standard have beaten Club Brugge with 2-0...
And yes Csaunders Onyewu scored the first goal.It could have been more than 2-0 if Brugge GK Stijnen had not played a terrific match (his third in a row). Could it be that we have discovered another great GK??? The fact that Standard are leaders is good news for Belgian football...Untill te beginning of the eigthies Belgian football had three big clubs: Anderlecht, Brugge (clearly third then) and Standard. In 1984 there was a match fixing scandal between Standard and Waterschei (the team which is now Genk, at that time Lei Clijsters, the father of tennis star Kim Clijsters played with that team)and since then Standars i merely a shadow of it's former self...i hope they will become a better team at last (but they tend to fail when it really matters). With players like Walasiak, Geeraerts, Onyewu, Deflandre, Leonard and Onyewu they certainly have what it takes to be a good team...on top of that they have the current top scorer in the Jupiler League: Mémé Tchité from the Democratic Republic of Congo...
Anderlecht won 5-1 against newly promoted Roeselare. The good news is that Proto played again and that Bassegio seems to be back in good form...let's hope...he certainly is talented enough...but lately he was useless...
Brussels lost 2-1 in Gent...They played a terrible first half and were 2-0 down after 45 minutes. In the second half they dominated scored one goal and were denied a clear penalty...but these things happen...all in all the better team won.
Westerlo lost a point and are loosing touch with the big three.

The results:
Lokeren-Beveren 1-2
La Louvière - Genk 2-3
Zulte Waregem - Mouscron 4-1
Anderlecht - Roeselare 5-1
Standard - Club Brugge 2-0
AA Gent - Brussels 2-1
Charleroi - Sint Truiden 0-1
Cercle Brugge - GBA 3-0
Westerlo - Lierse 0-0

If that would ever happen, you would be over the moon don't you CS???
Anyway the first Belgian club to get rid of their coach is GBA.
Last year they won the cup but this year they started awfully bad...
Yesterdays loss against Cercle Brugge was the straw that broke the camel's back for Brys...

Back
Top Bottom