The Jupiler League thread !!!!

I found out that Basseggio's parents are both Italian Belgians born in Treviso... which was part of the reason why he joined Treviso and not anyone else.

Holmes.jpg

FD

That's true Milanista...but nevertheless Bassegio went to Treviso because other Italian teams weren't interested.
A couple of years ago clubs like Inter Milan, AS Roma and (allegedly, but i find hard to believe this) AC Milan were interested in him.
During last summer there were rumours that Fiorentina was interested in him...

gerd said:
Well FD, he's not entirly to blame to be honest.
He was the undisputed playmaker until the Anderlecht board decided to call Zetterberg back from Olympiakos. Anderlecht have a tradition buying players who once were succesfull with the club. Usually this turns out to be catastrophic a few examples: Scifo, Grun, Zetterberg, De Wilde, Goor...they all disappointed when they came back.

Buying back Zetterberg, Goor and De Wilde was not catastrophic.

About Baseggio, he has a very good long ball, but his problem is that he doesn't move too much (actieradius is veel te klein). He doesn't go forward enough to be an AM, but he also doesn't defend enough to be a DMF. It's hard to find him his best spot.

That's when I'm objective, because I like this player very much.

Good explanations on Baseggio here Stan/Gerd/Supreme. He's exactly what you guys said. Good passer of ball especially long-range but overall is not a very good player due to his limited movement, very slow, lazyness. He's not tricky/fast enough to play in hole as AMF and isn't a fighter/good defender to be DMF really. He's basically a CM with good playmaking type of attributes but I myself would rather have a guy who is less skilled with ball but more of a fighter/higher stamina and hardworker/team player.

For these reasons I think he was never world-class even in his peak few years back (now he's much worst sadly :() and so never would've done that well in a bigger team or much bigger anyway. Cuz he's kinda one dimensional where as today you need to be good in many things ot be in starting 11 not just passing/etc. but a great passer of ball, FK's and such stuff.

p.s. Is Pujol getting anymore play time or is he still on bench?

What the heck, a jupiler league thread :shock:

Anyway, I and a guy named Zotn_dre are working on the Jupiler league patch for almost 4 months now. (we also made one for PES4 last year)
We hope we can release the patch in a few weeks around feb 1th.
The JP patch is build on top of the superpatch 2.0, The Bundes liga is replaced by the Jupiler League, we only keep Werder Bremen and Bayern Munchen.

For more info & pics check this thread on the telenet forum (Dutch/Flemish)

http://games.telenet.be/forum/showthread.php?p=6586994#post6586994

Dus nog wat geduld he mannen...

Last edited:
PLF, Right observations on Bassegio.
Unfortunately Pujol does not play alot...
I saw him once against Betis Sevilla and i was impressed by him.
With Frutos, i think Anderlecht have bought a similar player and so i'm afraid he will not play much...don't understand why they bought him.
Same goes for Romanian play maker Mitu.
This guy is great but he never plays...

Oh and Sphere: Goor and De Wilde neve performed as good as their first period in Anderlecht...
Zetterbergs coming back (to me) is really catastrophic: to me he has the same flaws as Bassegio except that Bassegio has a better shot (well to be fair Zetterberg has a better mentality than Bassegio).

Anderlecht's central midfield couple Zetterberg-Vanderhaegen was instrumental to their catastrophic CL run: they simply are too slow to play on that level. Anderlecht should buy a good DMF and a good AMF if they don't want to loose face in Europe.

The problem with Anderlecht is that they want to play galactico football with very average players...that very offensive and attractive football is supposed to be "the house style" but Anderlecht no longer has great players like Rensenbrink, Haan, Lozano, Olsen,... Take Club Brugge, their style is opposite to Anderlechts: they play work football.
I have to admit that i prefer Anderlecht when they are good, but on the other hand Brugge can win matches by fighting...that's why Brugge will always be the better team in Europe unless Anderlecht change their style (but the first coach who has the nerve to do that is booed by the fans and will not last long).

I see what you mean Stan and thanks for update on Pujol :/

And thanks very informative post. I learned a lot from it about Anderlecht fans and their mentality and that is a REAL problem that you pointed out in your last paragraph there.

Regarding other stuff you mentioned like Anderlecht's 2 CM's being too slow and not good enough for Europe, I agree.

At least Silvio Proto is #1 goalkeeper now right? or are they still rotating?

No PLF, Silvio Proto is definitely the #1 goal keeper, which is a very good thing for both Anderlecht and Belgian football, because (being a former GK myself) i consider Proto to be a very big talent...he's our biggest talent since Preudhomme...in a couple of years he will play for a big club.

Today i read that Anderlecht is gonna loan a young Chinese playmaker (Chen)...Anderlecht finally has understood that scouting throughout the whole world is very important.

And about that Anderlecht mentality that i described, is what makes Anderlecht sometimes hated (their arrogance) sometimes irresistable (because they will always will try to play "good" football, the last years it's rather sad because they play far from good football).

Yesterday the Golden Boot was awarded. This is the Belgian Trophy for the Best Player of the year.
Results for the year 2005:
1 Sergio Conçeicao (Standard) (Gulliver as a giant among midgets)
2 Vincent Kompany (Anderlecht)
3 Wilhelmsson (Anderlecht)
4 Kevin Vandenbergh (Racing Genk) that one is a very promising striker...
5 Karel Geeraerts (Standard) a young a promising DMF/CMF

Yep that's why I asked about Proto Gerd.

I like him a lot and consider him a big gk talent but was sad when he moved to Anderlecht and although he had become #1 keeper of Belgian NT, stupid Anderlecht was not doing this country and a huge talent a favour when they were rotating him and the other keeper at begining of season if you remember you told me about.

Anyways glad he's clearly #1 now and can hopefully develop into a world-class keeper.

I also wanted to ask this before but forgot.

One of my fav players in Jupiler was the Belgian left winger Koen Daerden who is a descent player in my opinion (never will become anything special but he is a good player) and last time I checked he was still at Genk but was looking for move to Feyenoord which ultimately didn't materialise.

I assume he's still there so I wanted to know on his progress and performances this season thus far hoping he hasn't been injured or anything.

If he is a regular starter, is he among Genk's best players? just tell me about him in some detail if you can.

take care mate ;)

I got a question... I read this news on abola.pt and I'd like to know what this "prize" is about:

A BOLA on-line said:
Sérgio Conceição was elected best player of the year in Belgium.

The portuguese Sérgio Conceição won the prize "Soulier d’Or", which goes to the best developing player in the Belgium League.

After a year and a half representig Stardard Liège, Sérgio Conceição, who hasn't been in the National Team for a while, got ahead of the duo from Anderlecht, Vicent Kompany and Christian Wilhelmsson, in a voting made by the main sporting journalists from that country.

The voting, that for the first time "crowned" a foreign player from Standard Liège, becomes even more significant if we keep in mind that Sérgio Conceição left the two "rivals" behind by 64 (Kompany) and 70 (Wilhelmsson) points.

Translation by me :P

Like i said in posting # 160: it's the Jupiler League's player of the year award...

PLF about Koen Daerden: he's a very important player for Racing Genk on and off the field (young but a natural leader). I agree with you that from an international view point he's nothing special, in Belgium he's one of our biggest prospects. Unfortunately he was and still is injured (for some months now). Due to his and other first team regulars' injuries Genk had to play with a youth team and discovered a 17 year old player who could become something very special...i already talked about him in this thread: CMF Steven Dufour (or Defour, i mix these names up). Of course he's young but IMHO he's better than Kompany at the same age...I hope he can stay a litle while in Belgium but already big clubs are showing intrest in him...it would be better for him if he could stay in Genk where he certainly will be a first team regular.

What went wrong FD... are you sure...the Belgian papers say he's playing for Hearts????
Was something wrong with the medical or was it his hairdo???

Edit:

You're right Frank, i checked it out...
Beslija is back in Genk because "Hearts could not fullfill the demands on paper from Racing Genk" (literally but maybe bad translation).
This suggests troubles in Edinburgh...

Last edited:
I'm sorry I didn't bother to read :s

Do you have, by any chance, a video of Sergio playing for Standard? I haven't seen him play for years, and for him to win this award, it may be unfair that he's not on the NT...

Last edited:
No video, but he's by far the best player in the Jupiler League...but like i stated: like Gulliver among the midgets...the Jupiler League is inferior to the Portugese one, let alone the "big leagues"..

Ok, back to business after a month of rest...
The second half of the Jupiler League season 05-06 has kicked off last weekend.

The results:

20-01 20:30 Club Brugge - FC Brussels 3 - 0
21-01 18:00 Standard - Zulte-Waregem 1 - 2
21-01 20:00 Sint-Truiden - Lierse 1 - 1
21-01 20:00 AA Gent - La Louviere 3 - 0
21-01 20:00 Anderlecht - Cercle Brugge 2 - 2
21-01 20:00 Westerlo - G. Beerschot 1 - 3
21-01 20:00 Lokeren - Moeskroen 1 - 1
21-01 20:00 Beveren - Roeselare 1 - 1
22-01 18:00 Charleroi - Racing Genk 2 - 1

Unfortunately for me (they played against my favourite team Brussels) Club Brugge are the winners of the weekend.
The other big clubs all lost points.
Leaders Standard lost their match against revelation Zulte-Waregem (they only have one professional player, forward Ibrahim Salou).
Anderlecht only succeeded a draw against Cercle Brugge (2-2). New Argentinian forward Frutos saved them with a late equaliser.
Standard and Anderlecht both lost points in home matches.
Racing Genk lost away against Sporting Charleroi. Genk still have loads of injured players and had to play with three teenagers. They could have a very good team in a couple of years because they have very good youngsters. Other bad news for Genk: Sunday Oliseh has decided to retire after another bad match.
Bad day for Brussels, they lost 3-0 against Club Brugge, which will IMHO be the team to be to become champion...

The ranking after 20 matches:

Totaal Klassement (01/08/05 - 15/05/06)
# W V G + - +/- Ptn
1 Standard (STA) 19 12 5 2 31 19 12 38
2 Club Brugge (BRU) 19 11 3 5 31 17 14 38
3 Anderlecht (AND) 19 10 2 7 42 19 23 37
4 Zulte-Waregem (ZWA) 19 10 6 3 36 29 7 33
5 Westerlo (WES) 19 9 5 5 28 17 11 32
6 Racing Genk (GNK) 19 8 4 7 32 23 9 31
7 Lokeren (LOK) 19 8 5 6 28 26 2 30
8 AA Gent (GNT) 19 8 7 4 25 23 2 28
9 FC Brussels (FCB) 19 7 5 7 23 20 3 28
10 Roeselare (ROE) 19 6 7 6 30 24 6 24
11 Charleroi (CHA) 19 6 7 6 20 25 -5 24
12 Cercle Brugge (CER) 19 6 9 4 25 31 -6 22
13 G. Beerschot (GBA) 19 6 10 3 25 34 -9 21
14 Moeskroen (MOE) 19 6 11 2 26 33 -7 20
15 Beveren (BEV) 19 6 11 2 24 31 -7 20
16 La Louviere (LAL) 19 4 9 6 17 35 -18 18
17 Sint-Truiden (STV) 19 4 11 4 19 30 -11 16
18 Lierse (LIE) 19 1 11 7 8 34 -26 10

Very tight league, looks very interesting. A whole list of teams that aren't far away.

So mate, for this weekend's game, give me a banker winner in the fixtures!!

FD

A very tight league indeed FD...it woul be great if a semi-professional club like Zulte-Waregem could win the Jupiler Leagues (but on the other hand, this would be catastrophicall for the Champions League).

A banker winner for next weekend: Club Brugge - Lierse
The best team (Brugge) against the weakest...should be a piece of cake for Brugge.

A couple of posts ago i was writing about the youthfull Genk team.
To illustrate this.
Last sunday the average age of Genk was 24 years and 4 months, with players like GK Jan Moons (35), forward Bob Peeters (32) and Sunday Oliseh (31). On the other hand they had the following young players in their team: Remacle (eighteen), Ogunjimi (eighteen), Pocognoli (eighteen), Verdonck (seventeen and an impressive first match as CB, great prospect) and Defour (seventeen and a the biggest prospect in Belgian football the last 10 years, and i did not forget Kompany).

Last edited:
gerd said:
A banker winner for next weekend: Club Brugge - Lierse
The best team (Brugge) against the weakest...should be a piece of cake for Brugge.

Hi Mate,

Just wondering, but according to Ladbrokes, Lierse play Beveren at home this week? Bruges play Roeselare (sp?). Doesn't tie up with the above.

FD

You're right Frank...sorry...i've been looking to next match day on the Jupiler League site...

There are no obvious matches this weekend.
Nevertheless i think Club Brugge should beat Roeselare and Zulte-Waregem should beat La Louvière....But like i said earlier: i'm not good at this thing.

Match day 20 in the Jupiler League:

Speeldag 20 (27/01/2006 - 30/01/2006)
27-01 20:30 G. Beerschot - Anderlecht 2 - 0
28-01 18:00 Sint-Truiden - Standard 0 - 0
28-01 20:00 Moeskroen - Charleroi 0 - 1
28-01 20:00 Racing Genk - Westerlo 2 - 0
28-01 20:00 Lierse - Beveren 2 - 0
28-01 20:00 FC Brussels - Lokeren 1 - 1
28-01 20:00 La Louviere - Zulte-Waregem 2 - 2
28-01 20:00 Cercle Brugge - AA Gent 1 - 2
29-01 18:00 Roeselare - Club Brugge 1 - 1

Another disappointing day for the "big" clubs.
Standard could not win in Sint-Truiden and forward Kovalenko was the ninth Standard player who was sent off this season. Onyewu alone had three red cards. What i don't understand is that their prolific scorer Tchité is on the bench...strange. More bad news is to come: Conçeicao would have spat on the Sint-Truiden doctor when he was on the pitch to help an injured player.
Standard is still leader since Anderlecht lost to GBA with 2-0: everybody talks about crisis in Anderlecht, the way they are playing is really pathetic...They should sack Vercauteren their coach...(i know it doesn't help but this guy is either a genius or he has no clue).
Club Brugge also dropped points against newly promoted Roeselare, but to me they remain the favourites to become champion.
Brussels played 1-1 against Lokeren, which is a good result. All the Brussels fans would like to know if Igor De Camargo, by far the best Brussels player will stay or if he will go to Club Brugge. De Camargo himself has said that he would like to stay in Brussels for the remainder of the season since in Brugge he will be used as a substitute. At the end of the season both Portillo and Balaban will be gone and then he can play...
Racing Genk is the winner of the week: they've beaten Westerlo 2-0 and come nearer to the top of the table. Once again they played with 3 or 4 teenagers and they are doing great. Next week Racing Genk play in Anderlecht.

The ranking after 20 matches:

Totaal Klassement (01/08/05 - 15/05/06)
# W V G + - +/- Ptn
1 Standard (STA) 20 12 5 3 31 19 12 39
2 Club Brugge (BRU) 20 11 3 6 32 18 14 39
3 Anderlecht (AND) 20 10 3 7 42 21 21 37
4 Zulte-Waregem (ZWA) 20 10 6 4 38 31 7 34
5 Racing Genk (GNK) 20 9 4 7 34 23 11 34
6 Westerlo (WES) 20 9 6 5 28 19 9 32
7 AA Gent (GNT) 20 9 7 4 27 24 3 31
8 Lokeren (LOK) 20 8 5 7 29 27 2 31
9 FC Brussels (FCB) 20 7 5 8 24 21 3 29
10 Charleroi (CHA) 20 7 7 6 21 25 -4 27
11 Roeselare (ROE) 20 6 7 7 31 25 6 25
12 G. Beerschot (GBA) 20 7 10 3 27 34 -7 24
13 Cercle Brugge (CER) 20 6 10 4 26 33 -7 22
14 Moeskroen (MOE) 20 6 12 2 26 34 -8 20
15 Beveren (BEV) 20 6 12 2 24 33 -9 20
16 La Louviere (LAL) 20 4 9 7 19 37 -18 19
17 Sint-Truiden (STV) 20 4 11 5 19 30 -11 17
18 Lierse (LIE) 20 2 11 7 10 34 -24 13

News from Treviso... Baseggio didnt play, but he received a warm welcome when he walked around the stadium before Treviso - Lazio. The Treviso fans were excited to have a player who was in the Champions League just 2/3 months ago in their team.
He'll probably debut next week against Sampdoria, tough game.

Thanks Milanista, please keep us informed about Bassegio...

I thought maybe one or two people would be interested in some round-up of the most "spectacular" transfers in the latest transfer window.

Anderlecht:
In: Frutos
Out: Hasi - Kolar - Baseggio - Peersman - Gerk - Jestrovic - Ehret.

Beveren:
Out: Marco Né (Olympiakos) Moussa Sanogo (Brussels)

FC BRUSSELS:
In: Moussa Sanogo - Calvin Cadi - Sydney Kargbo
Out: Igor de Camargo (Standard)

Cercle Brugge:
In: Keith Barker
Out: Luke Jones (Blackburn Rovers)

Club Brugge:
In: Elrio Van Heerden (FC Kopenhagen)
Out: Van Tornhout - Spilar - Serebrennikov - Vlaeminck - Victor

Charleroi:
In: Serebrennikov - Dante (Lille)

RC Genk:
Out: Sunday Oliseh (retired) Beslija (Hearts of Midlothian)

Standard:
In: Jorge Costa - Siramana Dembélé (Setubal) Igor De Camargo (Brussels)

Westerlo:
In: Sarki (Chelsea) Martin Kolar (Stoke and Anderlecht) Owieri (Feyenoord)
Out: Jaja Coelho (Getafe).

The results of the 21th match day in the Jupiler League:

03-02 20:30 Club Brugge - Lierse 3 - 1
04-02 18:00 Anderlecht - Racing Genk 4 - 1
04-02 20:00 Beveren - Sint-Truiden 1 - 1
04-02 20:00 Zulte-Waregem - Cercle Brugge 3 - 1
04-02 20:00 AA Gent - G. Beerschot 2 - 1
04-02 20:00 Westerlo - Moeskroen 0 - 5
04-02 20:00 Charleroi - FC Brussels 1 - 0
04-02 20:00 Lokeren - Roeselare 2 - 2

One match is missing: Standard-La Louvière is postponed, the pitch was nog good enough to play on.
This weekend was a good weekend for Anderlecht. They won 4-1 against the youngsters of Racing Genk. There was much ado around this match because of the bad results of Anderlecht in previous matches. This week the Anderlecht board for once stayed calm, they announced that whatever will happen coach Vercauteren will stay until the end of the season. This proved to be a good reaction. Anderlecht was by far the better team against Genk. Goals from Goor (2), Zetterberg and Frutos gave Anderlecht a valuable win.
Club Brugge won his match against relegation battlers Lierse. Man of the match was Philippe Clement who scored three goals: 2 for Brugge and 1 for Lierse.
Brussels lost against Charleroi. When Charleroi scored they already were reduced to 10 men after the exclusion of Burkinese defender Keré (a couple of English teams were interested in him the past weeks, WBA and Leeds). Now that star player De Camargo has left Brussels face a difficult season. Next week their three new recruits can play, lets hope they are good...
Before New Year Westerlo had by far the best defense in the Jupiler League. Since new year they got 13 goals against them. The fact that Jaja Coelho left them for Getafe has clearly demoralised them. Their coach was saying that this isn't normal, if one player can mean such a huge difference, it should mean that he's better than Ronaldinho, which he obviously isn't...
Revelations Zulte-Waregem keep on winning. Once again their Ghannian forward Ibrahim Salou was the star player, he scored a fantastic goal...this guy should go to the WC in Germany but he's hardly known outside Belgium...great player.
The news of the week is a match fixing scandal of the Chinese maffia. Teams like La Louvière, Lierse and Mons (relegated last year) are alledgedly involved. Yesterday evening a television program gave names of players who are alledgedly involved in all this...
The journalists went to Shanghai and Hong Kong were gamblers bet on matches of La Louvière and Lierse...strange...
Belgium football is not served by all this bad news, but if there have been irregularities the guilty ones should be punished...

Back
Top Bottom