"The Good Ol' Days" thread.

Been playing Super Mario 64 on my N64 lately. Thinking about it, even with the 360 now, the PS3 soon, no other game rocked my world as Mario 64 did. It was a huge leap forward, something completely new.

Nobody reaches these kind of standards anymore...

Speaking of Super Mario ...

I have finsihed Super Mario Brothers 3 on the NES last week and now playing Super Mario World on the SNES - awesome.

1.5 Firmware PSP for Homebrew.. Playing a SNES Emulator on-the-go and playing Mario, SF2 Turbo and Mario Kart :)

DJ

Mario 2 sucked ass! They really stuffed up on that one, thats one game I try and avoid on Mario All Stars for the SNES. Super Mario World was ok but the music got on my nerves a bit at times.

DJ

One of the funniest game in multi player mode was super mario kart on snes according to me, never found the same feeling on any other mario kart (always seemed slower)

Me and my mate still play Mario Kart on emulators now :) its great fun but he always kicks my arse because he is a legend at Mario Kart!

DJ

Does anybody remember a game on the genesis/megadrive called "Two Crude Dudes" It was a brilliant game as I remember myself & a cousin playing it over & over again! Those 2-player co-op days of the genesis/megadrive where my most memorable & favourite gaming days! Games such as Golden Axe, Streets of Rage & Land of Illusion! Anyone feel the same?

djdoc360 said:
Mario 2 sucked ass! They really stuffed up on that one, thats one game I try and avoid on Mario All Stars for the SNES. Super Mario World was ok but the music got on my nerves a bit at times.

DJ

That's because the Western Mario 2 was in fact a re-packaged version of the Japanese game Doki Doki Panic. The true Mario 2 wasn't released outside of Japan until the snes allstar cartridge. They thought it would be too difficult for westerners.

Mario Lost Levels was real decent if thats the one you mean by "too difficult"... Super Mario Bros 2 was just pure shite.

DJ

djdoc360 said:
Saturn was awful mate. I only ever played World Wide Soccer and SEGA Rally...

DJ
I wouldn't say the Saturn was awful as there were some decent games for it, but the majority of top games were from Sega themselves, particularly as the system architechture and the SDK's were a pain in the arse for third-party developers to deal with, hence they made stuff for the PS1. It was that lack of third-party support combined with bizarre marketing decisions (especially from Sega of America) which is what killed the Saturn off.

I thought Worldwide Soccer was a pretty decent game at the time (we're going back as far as 1996!) and was a million miles better than F*FA. The only problem of course was that it had fake names and rather wooden commentary - sound familiar? :)

djdoc360 said:
Yes sounds a bit like what PES was based on :) I used to love World Wide Soccer.

DJ
I used to be able to perform that "flick with the heel over your head" trick with ease, the one they used to show in the adverts for Worldwide Soccer around about autumn/chrimbo 1996..... something like pressing forward, back, forward+X

Problem with WWS was that it was piss-easy to score if you figured out how to do the chip shot - press shoot then pass, if memory serves me correctly - from about 20 yards and watch the keeper do a token dive as he totally misses the ball and it goes into the corner. Won many a Worldwide Cup championship like that!! :mrgreen:

I think the best Sega Saturn's game was Nights, Panzer Dragon Saga too. I think I gonna play it again. :mrgreen:

How I miss that golden days! :mryellow:

NiGHTS was pretty unique, great game developed by Sonic Team, thought it took me a fucking age to beat the last boss on it!! :mrgreen:

Saturn had an awesome lineup, sadly most of the best stuff wasn't released over here. It has the best lineup of shooters though.

I loved some games on the Saturn but there just wasnt enough of the good ones. Same story with the Dreamcast, I thought it was an ace console very good and poweful but didnt have the support of $ony's PS2.

DJ

The Dreamcast failed because it had no piracy protection. You could just copy a game and play it straight away on a brand new console.

Some of the games on it were actually pretty good and could still be enjoyed today.

IMO, its easily the most underated console ever.

Dreamcast was terribly underrated, it had some awesome titles for it, shame it died an early death. :(

djdoc360 said:
Yes I actually think the WII and 360 will :)

Not in its current form it isn't (imo)....apart from Table Tennis, it hasn't been that exciting - it's more a PC than a games console tbh with all its FPS'. It's too early to say with the Wii....unless things improve, I can imagine the next few years to be a dark patch in the history of fun games.

RuneEdge said:
The Dreamcast failed because it had no piracy protection.
The Dreamcase over here failed becaused Sega pissed away their cash on crap like sponsoring Arsenal. The piracy thing didn't help, but it took a little while for that to happen anyway. Copied games wouldn't play on their own, it took the inclusion of the boot stuff to do it.

I sitll love my DC, anything I can play Shenmue, MSR and JSR on has to be good :)

babs said:
The Dreamcase over here failed becaused Sega pissed away their cash on crap like sponsoring Arsenal. The piracy thing didn't help, but it took a little while for that to happen anyway. Copied games wouldn't play on their own, it took the inclusion of the boot stuff to do it.

I sitll love my DC, anything I can play Shenmue, MSR and JSR on has to be good :)
The self boot games had to be patched but not if you had a boot disc so yeah, you could still play copied games from the moment you opened the box.

Some of the games were brilliant. Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead, Sonic Adventure, I could play them for weeks without getting bored.

JayM said:
I loved 2 Crude Dudes, so want to play it again. :D

I have an emulator for xbox with all those classic games but its kinda annoying now because of the xbox controller! But yeah 2 Crude Dudes was excellent!

Back
Top Bottom