"The Good Ol' Days" thread.

Joystick said:
Two stone cold classics. I've never played RSG though :( It's hailed by some as the greatest 2D shooter ever. I really hope they emulate it some day.

Ghouls and Ghosts was rock solid! You had to go back to the start once you got the magic armour if I remember correctly. Games were so harsh in those days! You would never get that in a modern release.

I never paid for Radiant Silvergun , its a very expensive game to buy now!!!
You can emulate it no prob, and if u wanna know where to get the game from pm me m8.

Games were more solid back in the day :P You got more value for your money also.

a2600_2.jpg

My first console.

kangaroo2.gif

My first game.

Also, did't you just love these...
commodore_1530and1531datacassette_200.jpg

a3_1_b.JPG

An awesome Nintendo SNES lot containing :

A fully boxed and complete Super Mario World set

The set really is in excellent condition and contains the following:

Console--no yellowing, very nice condition

Official joypad--unused in bag

Arial splitter / lead / A/C adaptor--mint

Mario World game--mint

Instructions / guarantee card / poster etc--bagged and mint

The box and poly are in excellent condition, even has the cardboard piece for the top of the poly !

The accessories

An extra official joypad--excellent condition

Logic 3 Phantom Joystick--excellent condition

The games

Zelda a link to the past--boxed, instructions and secrets book

Sim City--boxed with instructions

Starwing--boixed with instructions

Super Punch-out--boxed with instructions

PGA Tour Golf--boxed with instructions

Super Soccer--cart only

F 1 racing--cart only

Clay Fighters--cart only

The Super Wild Card

This item lets you copy your games to floppy disc. It sits on top of the SNES and runs off its power.

You can play carts through it or load games via floppy disc

Very easy to use and a very rare piece of kit

I have included lots of discs full of games like:

R-TYPE 3 / SUPER STREET FIGHTER / SUNSET RIDERS

to name a few
I just bought all this for about £80 of Ebay. IMO, I got a bargin seeing how the Wildcard alone is probably worth £80 anyway.

babs said:
RSG isn't as hard to get hold of as people make out, and while it is brilliant, it's not really the best shooter either.

It is when you live in Saudi Arabia. The 'other' method works well, but we didn't have decent net speeds or broadband in Saudi Arabia at the time.

I used to have a wildcard-like device that fitted on to a MegaDrive and an SNES, it was a great device. I sold it to get myself a Sega Saturn back in the day.

Yeah there was a device called a super magic drive for the MD which did the same thing, this was how people uncovered the great discovery of Sonic 2 BETA!!!!

smd.png

The Super Magic Drive

DJ

The problem is those days was that you had to get your own original carts to rip onto floppies. But now you can just download whatever you want and play on the wild card.
Which is why Wildcards have increased in price lately. Just look at the price of these (they are brand new btw):
http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/copiers/copiers.htm

They use to sell the games on the discs here for 3 USD, and if you brought your own floppy you could get it for 1 dollar. They even got import that I would have never played if I didn't have that disc. I can remember playing Perfect Eleven when it first came out, the game was very impressive with it's commentry.

djdoc360 said:
Ahhh old skool Piracy at its best :)

DJ

True old skool piracy was having a tape to tape midi system - you could get about 9 good games on a tdk D90 cassette. ;)

Kids these days just don't know they're born.

The Original Spikester said:
True old skool piracy was having a tape to tape midi system - you could get about 9 good games on a tdk D90 cassette. ;)

:lmao: I remember having to go over to my mates house all the time cuz he had one of those. Classic stuff.

I used to use my old stereo when I borrowed my mates commodore tapes in the early 90's :) it was hilarious and 8/10 the recording was good enough so it worked lol :)

DJ

Classic moment m8, but did u not hate it when they game never worked.To this day ive still not played Emlyn Hughes Internation soccer :P

Still got my 32bit wild card, but I usually connect it to a coms port from my PC and send the games to my SNES. Playing Metal Warriors at the moment

I used to play the versus mode of that alot with my freind, but I can't really remember playing the single player mode. Guesse now wouldn't be too late to give it a spin. I wonder if it's as good as Cybernator?

djdoc360 said:
Yeah there was a device called a super magic drive for the MD which did the same thing, this was how people uncovered the great discovery of Sonic 2 BETA!!!!

smd.png

The Super Magic Drive

DJ
Sonic 2 Beta, ahh man I'll never forget that day getting Sonic 2 for Christmas all them years ago and getting miffed because the Hidden Palace level they talked about in the magazines was missing. :shock:

Okay, we've gone from cartridges to tape decks to....

LED lights, yes this was before the word graphics was invented*. And guess what I still own one of these Grandstand numbers with box!

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/stock/assets/images/HH_-_Invader_from_Space_NBC.jpg

I've also got a Trevor Francis' Football game (boxed), I had her running the other day, she works a treat - I'll double check the name and have a look some time.

As I might have said, once or twice before, kids these days, I remember when it was all computerised lightbulbs...

:D

* = might not be true

babs said:
Megadrive in Japan too actually ;)

I had a Japanese one with Phelios, Hellfie and Thunderforce 3. The console had pink plastic on the top and the '16 bit' was HUGE.
japanesemd.jpg

I had one of these too with about 15 games, the cartridges that they came on were a different shape to the European/US equivalents, they were a tad wider (I know €A used a different shaped cart again but screw them). You could put a European/US cart in a Japanese console but not vice-versa (unless you took the top off and took some of the screws out of the slot).

I had a European Megadrive console as well, again, mk1 model (original shape), rather than the smaller (and somewhat shiter) mk2.

easyeasyeasy said:
Sonic 2 Beta, ahh man I'll never forget that day getting Sonic 2 for Christmas all them years ago and getting miffed because the Hidden Palace level they talked about in the magazines was missing. :shock:
Yeah Ive been in the sonic hacking/secrets community for a while now trying to find out as much info about Sonic 2 as poss, remember the infamous Desert Level (Dust Hill Zone) that never was? what about Wood Zone?

DJ

easyeasyeasy said:
japanesemd.jpg

I had one of these too with about 15 games, the cartridges that they came on were a different shape to the European/US equivalents, they were a tad wider (I know €A used a different shaped cart again but screw them). You could put a European/US cart in a Japanese console but not vice-versa (unless you took the top off and took some of the screws out of the slot).

I had a European Megadrive console as well, again, mk1 model (original shape), rather than the smaller (and somewhat shiter) mk2.
Didnt like the MegaDrive II one bit! I preferred its bigger breasted older sister :) lol

DJ

djdoc360 said:
Yeah Ive been in the sonic hacking/secrets community for a while now trying to find out as much info about Sonic 2 as poss, remember the infamous Desert Level (Dust Hill Zone) that never was? what about Wood Zone?

DJ
I've been in and around those sites and theres so many conspiracy theories about the canned levels its unreal but I recall seeing that same pic of the desert level in some mag but a few months later when they were doing previews it had gone but the Hidden Palace was still in at that point, then the final game that was gone too. :(

They did recycle the idea of a desert level for Sonic & Knuckles, they also used the Hidden Palace name but it was a short-lived level that was nothing like the lost Sonic 2 level, piss easy if you were playing as Knuckles. :lol:

Wood Zone, yet another one that they gave up hope on, to think they scrapped some of these for somewhat uneventful levels like Sky Chase. :(

djdoc360 said:
Didnt like the MegaDrive II one bit! I preferred its bigger breasted older sister :) lol

DJ
Yeah the MDII was cheap and nasty and didn't have an AV OUT socket either so if you had a crap telly you couldn't get decent sound out. The original was the daddy. :mrgreen:

All I know from playing Sonic 2 BETA is they cut off Hidden Palace for no good reason as far as I could tell, it was an ace level :) nice design/layout and graphics! like you said levels like Sky Chase were dull in comparison. Sandopolis? yeah that wasnt really a very good desert level to be honest I preferred the way Dust Hill looked.

DJ

It makes you wonder what the finished level would have been like with the second act and the boss. It would have made a far better inclusion in the game than Sky Chase, and even Hill Top which was basically a recoloured Emerald Hill with lava. There's never been an official explanation as to why Hidden Palace was left out, some rumours say it wasn't finished in time, which would carry more weight in the argument about Wood Zone being canned.

There was certainly another protoype version before the final game was released on 24th November 1992, because I recall seeing the beta version title screen on a number of sources that had the 1 Player/2 Player VS menu option on it, there was even a pic in black and white on the game manual. I used to have some book that also contained screenshots of the levels with the titles at the start showing the level name and act, and there was definitely one for Hidden Palace. Alas nobody in the emulation world has uncovered it yet and I doubt it ever will. :(

Dunno why but I always found the Master System versions of Sonic games more of a challenge, Sonic 2 on that was rock hard took me an absolute age to complete it. :|

Last edited by a moderator:

Been there, done that, I remember borrowing loads of games for the Spectrum +2 from a mate and do a tape to tape. :lol:

im with you on the master system ones, I had great trouble with them too. However back to MD have you played the Sonic 2 Long Version Hack? with a user finished Hidden Palace and Wood Zone and Geneocide City?

DJ

I've tried it and its pretty good though some of the levels late on seem a tad glitched, dunno why :|

On the subject of Mega Drives, did anyone here have the misfortune of shelling out for one of these......?

32X_EUR_box.jpg

Ahh yes the ill-fated Mega 32X, or as I used to dub it, the "Mushroom", due to its appearance, especially if it was stuck into a cheap and nasty Mega Drive II unit. It cost about £140 when it was released 11-12 years ago and you could argue it was the start of the downward spiral for Sega in the hardware market.

Why was it ill-fated? Read your history books on consoles, at the time when the 32X got released, the Saturn was already out in Japan, and the Playstation was just about to take over the world. I remember a load of people queuing up just to get a 32X and I was like "for fuck sake why bother?", when the true 32-bit consoles were to hit our shops not long after.

I remember seeing a few games playing on a 32X in a shop and just thought they were basically Mega Drive games with Super Nintendo colours. Doom was a shallow port of the PC version with levels missing (due to being on cartridge), After Burner was basically the Mega Drive version with the original music, Space Harrier another one that was a Mega Drive version on steroids, Knuckles Chaotix basically a Sonic clone that went wrong and out of the others, nothing really to write about. Star Wars Arcade was probably the only game that kept it going, and when they released a version of Virtua Fighter for it the Saturn Version had already been released, and the Remix version, and the sequel was in development.

Funniest story about it was one lad I knew had a 32X when it was first out and when the Saturn and Playstation got released he couldn't sell the 32X because nobody wanted one. I even remember going to a GAME store later that year and saw 32X's on sale for £20, a staggering 1/7th of the original asking price, even saw one bundled with the '96 version of the F-word, no use, people walking out with PSX's all over!! :lol:

32X is also home to one of the rarest games available, the PAL version of Primal Rage. The last copy of that sold on ebay went for over £300. Darxide on 32X is even harder to get (£700).

That said they're both dwarfed by the European Kizuna Encounter for Neo Geo AES. There's 4 confirmed copies in existence and go for over $10,000!

I think a combination of that 32x

This thing:
sega_megacd3.jpg

and the Saturn which caused Sega to dip out, I thought the Dreamcast was a step in the right direction to be honest but never really appealed to enough gamers.

DJ

Slobber said:
Mario Kart on Snes, Super Mario World on Snes, Super Mario Allstars on Snes = amazing. People who only started gaming during the PS, and N64 era missed out big time.
They sure did I was thinking that to myself the other day, what if I didnt grow up with a C64, BBC Micro,NES,Amiga,MegaDrive and SNES? We wouldnt know anything different young kids these days just think of how amazing PS2 is and how good Xbox 360 is. I used to think the C64 was unbelievable and I was only 5 at the time! then MegaDrive stole my computer gaming time for the next few years :) until PS1 in 1996! Im so glad I was around when I was! :)

DJ

32XCD games are pretty rare apparently, I think only a handful of titles were ever released one of them being an updated version of Night Trap. As for the Dreamcast well I thought it was one of the most underrated consoles ever, there was plenty of decent games for it but as soon as the PS2 got released with Sony's aggressive marketing strategy Sega couldn't compete in the price war and it spelled the beginning of the end. I thought Sega's decision to can Dreamcast production and revert to third party development was a bold move.

On the subject of Mega CD, here's a rarity.......

wondermega_mcd_01.jpg

A combined Mega Drive/Mega CD console joint developed by Sega and JVC (hence why some Wondermega units are badged as "Victor" rather than Sega), it was released in Japan and was more expensive than buying the Mega Drive and Mega CD units seperately, though it had a number of extras, including S-VHS output, wait for it.......... karaoke :mrgreen:

Maybe even rarer than that was the US version known as the "X-Eye", which didn't sell well and got scrapped in favour of this.......

multimega_mcd_02.jpg

The Multi-Mega (CDX), now these did get released in the European market as well and they were expensive, something like £250, and you could also use it as a portable CD player. They were rather small, saw one on display in some electrical store when they were first released, the high price tag put off many. You also never saw them in toy shops either unlike the Mega Drive/Mega CD. :|

Back
Top Bottom