"The Good Ol' Days" thread.

Blimey some good finds there, I like the way they made it so you can use it as a portable CD player :)

DJ

just tested my very first console G7000 also known as Magnavox Odyssey²
it was on storage for couple years in winter temperatures -20celsius and more and when i tested it worked like a dream! gave it to my sister so her two year old son can play it rather than gta2 for ps1. it has games like air sea war. tank game and pac man type game (air sea war, battlefield, munchkin) wonder how much the prize is for it nowdays.
http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/other/images/philips_vg7000.jpg

tank game battlefield is pretty nice it has two tanks and each are made about 10 pixels! 2players game. eat that battlefield 2! pac man game has thing when you stop moving the screen goes black so you cant see anything, brilliant. and air sea war game has one player controlling airplane and other submarine, in the middle there are ships to make it harder? and when you drop an bomb you can "steer".

-it was introduced in 1978 as an opponent to ATARI's VCS 2600
-The machine has a RESET-key (as part of the keyboard), but no POWER-switch! You had to pull the plug to turn the machine off

Processor: Intel 8048
Speed: 3.57 Mhz

RAM: 256 Bytes + 64 Bytes in processor

ROM: BIOS: 1K (Internal to processor)
Cartridges: 2K address space, 2 bank select inputs for up to 8K bankswitched carts

Sound: Intel 8244 custom Audio/Video IC
24-bit shift register, clockable at 2 frequencies; noice generator

Graphics: Intel 8244 custom Audio/Video IC

Graphics RAM: 256 bytes of video control reigsters
Colors: 16
Sprites: 4, 8x8 pixel, 1 color
Background Graphics: 9x8 grid of lines or blocks. Each segment individually controllable
28 Character objects from predefined internal character set

Last edited:
APX said:
just tested my very first console G7000 also known as Magnavox Odyssey²
it was on storage for couple years in winter temperatures -20celsius and more and when i tested it worked like a dream! gave it to my sister so her two year old son can play it rather than gta2 for ps1. it has games like air sea war. tank game and pac man type game (air sea war, battlefield, munchkin) wonder how much the prize is for it nowdays.
http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/other/images/philips_vg7000.jpg

tank game battlefield is pretty nice it has two tanks and each are made about 10 pixels! 2players game. eat that battlefield 2! pac man game has thing when you stop moving the screen goes black so you cant see anything, brilliant. and air sea war game has one player controlling airplane and other submarine, in the middle there are ships to make it harder? and when you drop an bomb you can "steer".

-it was introduced in 1978 as an opponent to ATARI's VCS 2600
-The machine has a RESET-key (as part of the keyboard), but no POWER-switch! You had to pull the plug to turn the machine off

Processor: Intel 8048
Speed: 3.57 Mhz

RAM: 256 Bytes + 64 Bytes in processor

ROM: BIOS: 1K (Internal to processor)
Cartridges: 2K address space, 2 bank select inputs for up to 8K bankswitched carts

Sound: Intel 8244 custom Audio/Video IC
24-bit shift register, clockable at 2 frequencies; noice generator

Graphics: Intel 8244 custom Audio/Video IC

Graphics RAM: 256 bytes of video control reigsters
Colors: 16
Sprites: 4, 8x8 pixel, 1 color
Background Graphics: 9x8 grid of lines or blocks. Each segment individually controllable
28 Character objects from predefined internal character set

^^ what a dream machine - they were sold as the Phillips Video Pak in the UK - best keyboard ever!

I think it all depends on whether you have the original box - always adds value.

Great days - when living was easy :D

-20? imagine how tempremental a 360 would get?!

starting a game is always new experience sometimes you need to press reset and 1/9(wtf?) once sometimes 50 times sometimes hold the buttons down 5 seconds sometimes think does this keyboard work heh. yeah it has been never cleaned for 20 years and still works and joystics work very well think about nowdays dualshocks and all "modern technology"!. :) i think its the ultimate survivors console you can take it with you on the antarctic :) maybe on the moon too!(prolly same technology as apollo 14 was).

Last edited:
snes7yy.jpg

My SNTDES. Which stands for Super Nintendo Tower of Doom Entertainment System. :mrgreen:
The special feature? You turn it on and Final Fantasy 6 loads up. :lol:

djdoc360 said:
They sure did I was thinking that to myself the other day, what if I didnt grow up with a C64, BBC Micro,NES,Amiga,MegaDrive and SNES? We wouldnt know anything different young kids these days just think of how amazing PS2 is and how good Xbox 360 is. I used to think the C64 was unbelievable and I was only 5 at the time! then MegaDrive stole my computer gaming time for the next few years :) until PS1 in 1996! Im so glad I was around when I was! :)

DJ

My first console ever was the Intellivision when i was around 6. I had Popeye, and the original Donkey Kong game for it. I also remember playing Dizzy on the C64 at my mates around the same time too. The Mega drive was immense. I had Sonic 1 and 2, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Shinobi and some other games. Loved my Snes even more.

I regret ever selling my Snes and Mega Drive to help me pay for a PS1 after Sony's system first came out. I remember playing the PS1 on import ages before it came out here, that's what I blame for giving up those 2 awesome consoles for it. :(

Wouldn't trade my gaming in those days, for gaming in these days. Games were actually original back then, and even more importantly, more fun.

If anyone wants to know, thats a SNES, with a 16m Wildcard, which has a universal convertor inserted, which has Final Fantasy 6 at the front and a Super Gameboy at the back, which has an old F*FA 97 gameboy cartridge inside it, which has a picture of David Ginola on it! :lol:

Yep I remember good ol FIFA 97.... I had it on PC and except for the indoor mode it was diabolical to play!!
And here it is with Motion Captured Ginola!!!!

fifa97_b.jpg

DJ

Rune did you get excited when taking that photo of your SNES? looks like the Camera was moving up and down pretty fast and we have motion blur on the photo?

DJ

I had Fifa '97 for the PS1. I remember I was so excited to play it during the build up to Christmas. Shame the game was a massive turd. Think I traded it for Tomb Raider.

Yeah it was the worst game id played, then again FIFA 96 wasnt much better! the only thing I liked about that which was comical was John Motsons "oooooooooohhhhhhh, the balls in the back of the NET! Giggs!" lol

DJ

lol nah mate FIFA was diabolical until FIFA 98 came out and was reasonably good to play but then I always preferred ISS and ISS Pro 98 which was hard to live up to. ISS Pro Evolution was tonnes better than FIFA 2000 which I thought sucked ass FIFA 2001 was only a little bit better than FIFA 2000 where as ISS Pro Evolution 2 was a decent update with some new animations and more intelligent AI.

Anyway back to the old skool again I had a really old football manager game for my C64 and I loved it! the trouble was I kept losing and being sacked as England manager within days!

DJ

djdoc360 said:
Rune did you get excited when taking that photo of your SNES? looks like the Camera was moving up and down pretty fast and we have motion blur on the photo?

DJ
I took the photo with my phone and then had to resize it to make it smaller.

Oh right it just spins me out everytime I look at it lol its decent you still have your SNES, I have still got my MegaDrive as well somewhere.

DJ

I actually have two SNES's in fact. One is a PAL one while the other is a JAP one. My mate had 4 when they were still selling and only a couple of years ago, he was throwing them away so I took his JAP one to keep.

Cool that will be a good ornament mate, or pick up some cheap Jap imports and keep playin it :)

DJ

*votes for Rune to change his name to 2SNES*

ISS was tops, Valderama and his nutty barnet was ace - shame my other mates prefered Mario Cart...

lol oh yeah I remember a magazine screenshot back in 1998 showing Valderramma in an ISS game :)

DJ

This thread has been dead for quite some time but i got new cellphone and nice thing they have nowdays you can have Commodore 64 emulation on them. Now if i only could attach joystick into this Nokia.

Theres also a handheld dedicated to just retro gaming and ive forgotten what its called!! it was in my STUFF magazine last month.

DJ

Speaking of retro gaming, anyone here planning on getting a Wii? I'd buy it for the retro library alone.

I have no doubt I will end up with one. My hobby is addictive as crack, but less expensive, well ever so slightly. I was curious about how the memory will compare to the other consoles as it doesnt have a hard drive. I think the 512MB that is internal will run out pretty quick but the falling price of SD cards will make it a cheap type of memory to stock up on.

Does anyone still play Sega Saturn here? Been looking to get some games, but al they have in my Gamestation is about 10 copies of Sega Rally...

already have 3 myself ;)

The Saturn has a few good games, it is a decent console. The most play is Radiant Silvergun. This game in particular is very expensive to buy as it only got a Jap release, but you could however play a backup copy if you had the original and were to scared to damage it using a swap method with no real mod. ;)

Back
Top Bottom