1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

"The Good Ol' Days" thread.

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by RuneEdge, 28 March 2006.

1. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Turn around, I'm right behind you...
    Manchester United
    There seems to be a lot of off topic discussion here lately where people talk about older games so I thought this would be a better place to do this.

Remember the good ol' days when we were young and couldnt afford to buy many games cuz everything was on carts? We used to appreciate games more cuz our selection of games were narrowed down to a handful which allowed the true classics to stand out. These days we have access to too many games through the internet (Jap and US games), we have emulators and roms which can give you entire game libraries to older games consoles and we have piracy of course. Its no coincedence that we enjoyed our games a lot more in the past than we do today.
    So lets use this thread to remember and talk about the old games that we loved.

I'll start with:

Zelda 3: A Link To The Past (SNES)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of the great things about this game were the bosses that you encounter. Each one required you to use a certain weapon (usually found in the dungeon leading to that boss) to defeat the bosses in their own way.
    [​IMG]

If you havent played this game, I really think you missing something.

2. babs

babs Guest

There's a lot of retro love at the other site I post at/write for, ntsc-uk.

</shameless_pimp>

There's a nice selection of retro articles including my latest piece on Lucasarts Games.

LTTP was a great game, one of the few I played obsessively until I finished it. The Original EA Hockey got a lot of playtime from me too, 3 hours a night every night for months with my mate on that.

3. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    Sorry to sound really dumb but whats LTTP?

4. babs

babs Guest

Sorry, Link To The Past (Zelda 3) as per your post.

5. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    lol. I realised the moment I posted that message.:lol:

6. deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17 100% Werder!

13 July 2005
    United States of Arrogance
    Werder Bremen
    Speaking on the old game subject. I still play Descent 1 & 2 almost everyday. 360 degrees of total freedom, its just didnt get any better back then.

Descent
    [​IMG]

Descent II
    [​IMG]

The Descent II review at gamespot says it best
    Still have these games and want to play them but dont know how on your windows xp machine? Then head over to www.descent2.de

7. djdoc

djdoc Guest

Was a fan of descent :) but never really had a good enough PC at the time when it was coming out the game was very choppy on my old PC and plus I wasnt earning any money at the time as I wasnt old enough.

DJ

8. deftonesmx17

13 July 2005
    Werder Bremen
    :lmao: Yeah I thought my PC was going to die when I played that game. It was so fun that I dealt with the choppiness......

Last edited: 28 March 2006
  9. Good old days?!

Blimey you kids just don't have a clue do you? Here's a link to me and my brother's first computer*:

http://www.videopac.org/G7000/

Now don't even get me started on the next generation with tapes and waiting for the volume error message to come up!

I wish there was an old fart smilie, instead you'll get this :D

*It was that hard in the early 80's that you had to share things.

10. djdoc

djdoc Guest

lol hang on a tick dude I woulda been around during those times. my first computer was none other than a C64 :) and then a BBC Micro!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old Skool Alright :) Early 80's!!

DJ

11. ^ wOOt! or something, as I've still not tumbled interweb chat.

I had an Acorn Electron straight asfter the videopak, boy was I jealous of Beebs. :mrgreen:

Model A or B???

12. djdoc

djdoc Guest

I had a model B mate. It was a piece of shit though sometimes when I used to boot it up the display screen would just jump! the info on the screen would be unreadable.. and that buzz and beep noise it made when I switched it on annoyed me lol.

DJ

13. Nice - they don't make 'em like they used to, eh?

I remember knackering my 'e' key on Elite (ECM button). Now there was a game of games.

14. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    Those computers with games on cassettes were so fun in those days. I'd love to get a hold of one now.
    C64 and the Spectrum bring back some great memories. I remember having to fiddle around with the commands and stuff for ages just to get the games to load. :lol:
    But once it worked, you always felt it was all worth it.

15. That's when loading screens meant something! I remember always keeping my eye on the flickering bits, just so that you could know when to press stop, rewind and play.

It was always cool when you first bought a game to see the loading screen, I must of cheesed off loads of shop staff with my, can you load it first attitude when I was young :)

16. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Banned

12 February 2005
    London
    Fuck! I'm surprised someone mentioned this game!

I've been playing Descent since i was 10, one of my first PC game, i used to go around school talking to people about this game but nobody had clue what it was!!!

DAMN! That game was fun...i've still got the game somewhere in my house, but in only runs on Packard Bell computers :(

deftonesmx17 how well did this game do during the time it was released? Is there a site where i can read about the history of this game?

Last edited: 30 March 2006
  17. djdoc

djdoc Guest

I had a C64 game which allowed you to play Space Invaders whilst it loaded up! took bloody ages mind you but again great stuff :)

Unfortunately my C64 no longer works, when you switch it on you get the white border and blue middle part of the screen but thats about it. No "Commodore 64" "64K Ram System" "Basic" "64xxxx Bytes Free" "Ready" :( its sad.

DJ

18. deftonesmx17

13 July 2005
    Werder Bremen
    Yeah, most people had no clue what I was talking about back then either, but from what I understand they were very big games, somehow :shock:

The best places for anything descent related are
    http://www.descentbb.net/
    http://www.descent2.de <-- which should allow you to play the version you have in nice clean openGL on a windows xp machine
    http://www.planetdescent.com
    http://www.hard-light.net <-- Descent Freespace website, game has nothing to do with the Descent series other than name, but most descent fans are fans of the freespcae series also.

19. djdoc

djdoc Guest

If I mentioned computer games at school id get the piss taken out of me lol I remember once mentioning Doom and then having loads of twats takin the piss outta me "How do you download Doom" were the comments I was getting from 6 of them at a time.... I kept my Computer Games conversations to just people who liked games the problem was they only liked PS1 games at the time and not PC titles.

DJ

20. Simmsm88

Simmsm88 League 2

29 July 2003
    Super Mario RPG:

[​IMG]

21. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Banned

12 February 2005
    London
    Ohwww thanks a lot deftonesmx17, i'll check some of these sites out. ;)

22. APX

APX FIN

8 July 2005
    Suomi Finland
    i had C-64 when i was maybe 10 years old (and still have) and some old philips thing with pong and all. my big brother used to play it so i played it too there were many great games i have the casette version so it was easy to copy friends games also there were these boxsets with many games they were called spaceACE karateACE so spaceACE had space games like M.A.S.K 3 venom strikes back, cybernoid,xevious.also my favorites were: boulder dash, giana sisters, the way of the exploding fist(best punch sounds ever), bubble bobble,,,most games i would never finish because of incredible difficulty level they had. loading screens were
    "fantastic" epileptic even.

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/karateace.htm
    http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/spaceace.htm

http://www.lemon64.com/

play c-64 games on browser!: http://c64s.com/

Last edited: 31 March 2006
  23. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    :lol:
    I remember that. The Commodore/Spectrum addiction eventually reached a stage where you could tell whether its gonna load or not, based on the noise patterns.

I really feel like buying one now. lol

24. crayon

crayon Yamato Gaijin

23 October 2004
    Hokkaido Japan
    Liverpool FC
    Oh yeah, the good ol' days - not so sure about that - took games ages to load (30mins anybody?) - although one of my fave games was Danger UXB on the Electron/BBC.

[​IMG]

Had an Electron myself - altho I have a suspicion my mum has finally bunged it and stopped it clogging up the house. Not that I play it much these days but it must have a bit of "retro" value.

25. johan

johan Guest

I miss those days..and tell you what no matter how good technology gets XBOX360, PS3 and all that stuff people will never have as much as fun as they had with older consoles NES, SNES etc..

Super Mario Bros 1983 - NES = Undisputed Champion of all games

26. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Manchester United
    I had that on the NES. I remember it came with Duck Hunt on one cartridge.

27. crayon

crayon Yamato Gaijin

23 October 2004
    Hokkaido Japan
    Liverpool FC
    johan, gotta agree Super Mario is brilliant 2d platforming at its best. Don't think I would include the fudge of a game that was SM2, or whatever it was called.....

28. djdoc

djdoc Guest

Thing is the original Mario game came out in the early eighties and it wasnt SM1 that you played on the NES, it was actually the Mario Pipes game where you had to dodge enemies and fling shells at them, they would come down the pipes and down the platforms. Anyone who also got Super Mario Advance will also notice that game is on there too.

The one which came with DuckHunt was the SM1 platformer that we all love.

I went from Mario 1 to Sonic though and was Sonic all the way from then onwards.

DJ

29. djdoc

djdoc Guest

Just imagine if PES originated in the 80's lol PES C64! wouldnt that have just been class? and as you say you would know if your gonna lose or not based on the load patterns!

DJ

30. crayon

crayon Yamato Gaijin

23 October 2004
    Hokkaido Japan
    Liverpool FC
    The pipes game was pretty rubbish. I first played Mario at my girlfriends on the SNES or Super Famicom as its known over there. Mario All Stars remains one of my favourite ever compilations. Lost Levels are really hard. Mind you, the Advance Mario was harder than usual too.