The best eleven ever

Ah, did this before in (not sure if on here too).

My team, 4-4-2
(My midfield might be a wee bit ropey with actually positions, but think they'd do okay)

GK - Southall

RB - McGrain
LB - Maldini
CD - Baresi
CD - Koeman

MID - Maradona
MID - Zidane
MID - Matthaus
MID - Hagi

FOR - Van Basten
FOR - Gullit

Notable absentees:- Preudhomme, Dassaev, Gerets, Bergomi, Puyol, Brehme, M.Laurdrup, Butragueno, Sanchez.

Possibles:- Messi, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique.

FD

Who is Mc Grain Frank? I never heard of him.
I'm a litle bit stunned that you did not include Larsson. I should have included him, because IMO he's one of the best forwards ever. I think he's as good as Van Basten and better than Ronaldo (that one is overrated IMO).
He only got the appreciation he deserved at the end of his carreer when he played for Barcelona and Man Utd. He was at his best for Celtic however...

Oh my god Barthez is mentioned in this thread...come on...not Barthez...We already had Taffarel...but surely not Barthez?
At the time he was playing, in Belgium alone we must have had at least 5 GK's that were much better. Look what he did with Manchester United. The guy is a complete joke. I never understood why French coaches always preferred him to Coupet.
In the 40 years i follow football Coupet must have been the only decent French goalkeeper: Ettori, Batts, Lama, Barthez, they all sucked big time. If Belgium would have been a part of France and all those French teams would have had a Belgian GK, they would have won more World Cups. Imagine the Platini team with a decent goal keeper (Preudhomme or even Pfaff)...that would have been awesome. They even won a WC without a GK (well Barthez was there to give Blanc opportunity to kiss his bald head, but that was all he contributed...).

Am i exagerating? Well maybe a tiny litle bit...

I like your honnesty in this post :D !!
Barthez has not played only in MU.
In Monaco, especially 97/98 season, he was the best, and i think that if you consider only the positive of his career, he is one of the best.
But he is exaclty like Seaman, you see : capable of the best, and a few seconds later toaly crap.
And I added Barthez also because as a french, it reminds me of the great french team.
For Coupet, the problem is still Domenech in my eyes.
In 2006 he should have been the goalkeeper of France.
Someone decided another way

If you refer to Brazilian Carlos Alberto Torres, he was basically a right back.

My best eleven would be:

Lev Yashin (Soviet Union)
Bobby Moore (England) --- Franco Baresi (Italy)
Carlos Alberto (Brazil) ------ Franz Beckenbauer (Germany) ------ Paolo Maldini (Italy)
Alfredo di Stéfano (Argentina) --- Diego Maradona (Argentina)
Garrincha (Brazil) ---------------- Pelé (Brazil) ------------ Johan Cruyff (Netherlands)​

That's an excellent eleven. I see a lot of "best of lists" which are heavily favored by personal tastes. When Brits make these lists, there are always 3-4 British players. I think George Best is the only one who should realistically be elected to top-15.

This list is something that I find hard to argue against. You simply can't leave Maradona and Pelé out of ANY all-star team... yes having them is predictable and boring but you have no choice... it's like leaving Elvis out of Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. Both those guys were so utterly superior.

Last edited:
I agree with you.
Glavisted team is certainly objectively the best of all these teams.
But one i started thi thread i wanted a very subjective list. Which elven players did you enjoy the most. I'm an enormous fan of both Fernando Redondo and Giuseppe Giannini. I know damn well that they are not as good as the players who are in Glavisted team...but i enjoyed watching them that much, that i will never forget them...i enjoyed them more than Di Stefano and Beckenbauer who are more or less on their positions in Glavisted objective team... But of course Beckenbauer and Di Stefano arebetter than my favourites...

Which elven players did you enjoy the most.
My favorite best eleven would be:

Peter Schmeichel (Denmark)
Alessandro Nesta (Italy) --- Franco Baresi (Italy)
Lilian Thuram (France) -------------------------------------- Roberto Carlos (Brazil)
Claude Makélélé (France)
César Cueto (Peru) ----- Zinedine Zidane (France)
Luís Figo (Portugal) ----------------------------------------------- Ronaldinho (Brazil)
Gabriel Batistuta (Argentina)​

This is my best eleven...

67666_Dream_Team.jpg

-------------Ronaldo---------------
---Zidane----Maradona--------Messi-
--------Davids-------Vieira---------
R.Carlos--Baresi-Beckenbauer-Thuram
--------------Buffon---------------

Sub :
Pelé
Cantona
Waddle
Batistuta
Maldini
Deschamps
Carlos Alberto
Yashin
Van Basten
Platini

Galli; Tassotti, Costacurta, Baresi, Maldini; Colombo, Rijkaard, Ancelotti, Donadoni; Gullit, Van Basten.

Haters gonna hate.

Galli; Tassotti, Costacurta, Baresi, Maldini; Colombo, Rijkaard, Ancelotti, Donadoni; Gullit, Van Basten.

There's something that all these players have in common with each other, but I just can't put my finger on it.............................

FD

ok, this is really getting akward now.
Special one, "man up" and put a nice looking gal in your avatar.... quick!!! :P

Guys, we should respect The_'Special'_One's opinion. It's just a matter of taste. :P

ok, this is really getting akward now.
Special one, "man up" and put a nice looking gal in your avatar.... quick!!! :P

and also maybe changing the nickname to The_Straight_One.

:LMAO:

Last edited:
LOL!
well i guess i disagree with special one about male beauty, as i find paolo quite an attractive fella.
but i sure like special one's taste when it comes to women. the guy has had the best avatars on this forum for years :P

How could you find Paolo an attractive fella when you have Fabio Cannavaro? That guy is damn hot. (sounds a bit gay but I don't care) :LOL:

As Ben request: the brand new avatar. Is a Portuguese TV actress. I hope you enjoy (certainly you will enjoy) :P

EDIT: Yep gerd agree don't like either. Not a good day to find a natural beauty. Change it now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom