The best eleven ever

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
The Guardian websiote is doing a best eleven and what they are choosing is nowhere near my taste...of course these are useless discussions but that why it's fun.
My best eleven.

GK: Neville Southall
LB: Carlos Alberto
RB: Eric Gerets
CB: Gaetano Scirea
CB: Baresi

LMF: Ryan Giggs
DMF: Fernando Redondo
AMF: Giuseppe Giannini
RMF: George Best

SS: Eric Cantona
CF: Gerd Muller

Bench: Schmeichel - Krol - Zidane - Van Basten - Rivera

I know no Maradonna, no Pele...it's all very, very subjective...

Now up to you...

Seeing as most people haven't even watched those players, what about the best 11 of YOUR life time?

I've seen them all Stef...the oldest is Carlos Alberto.
I was 8 years in 1970 when he scored that marvelous goal in the WC-final.

But because you are such a nice guy, i will try a more recent "favourite" eleven.

GK: Toldo

LB: Maldini
CB: Stam
RB: Thuram

LMF: Giggs
DMF: Xabi Alonso
AMF: Zidane
RMF: Ginola

SS: Cantona
CF: Villa

Bench: Jaaskelainen - Litmanen - Iniesta - Eto'o - Pique

GK: Buffon

LB: Roberto Carlos
CB: Maldini
CB: Cannavaro
RB: Cafu

LMF: Nedved
DMF: Redondo
AMF: Zidane
RMF: Figo

CF: Ronaldo
CF: Rivaldo

I tried and tried, but I just can't come up with an 11. It's too hard. I can only establish these players again and again:

Maldini, Nesta, Thuram, Zidane, Nedved, Messi, Batistuta and Rui Costa. But there are so many like Baggio, Del Piero, Rivaldo etc etc.

There's now a blog on the website because Gerrard got included in the alltime XI, which is frankly laughable and people are kicking off!

Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta etc not included but Gerrard gets in. Shows the calibre of internet user nowadays, even on a slightly highbrow paper like The Guardian.

Last edited:
Imo Gerrard is one of the most eover-hyped players ever.
I wouldn't even include him in a premiership best eleven of the noughties...

29212_Dream_Team.jpg

I think Cannavaro is slightly overrated. To me, his career really kicked off in his late 20's and 30's. imo Nesta was always the better one. His transfer to Milan was one of the most expensive at the time and his technique is a perfect 10. The man is still playing at an extremely high level without any flaws.

Its the same for me, either Canna or Nesta would be partners with Gerard. I just wrote canna cous i didn't remember Nesta, but i would definitely replace one for another.

You should think that isn't easy to be a world class CB when you only have 176 cm. Plus, he won the FIFA Player award. But I agree with you, Canna and Nesta were/are superb.

from the players i have witnessed in my life..my best 11 would be:

--------------------- Kahn ------------------

D. Alves -- Hyypia ----- Maldini --- R. Carlos

-------- Gerrard ---- Nedvěd ----- Zidane ----

C. Ronaldo --------------- Ronaldinho --------

------------- Messi --------------------------

I know threads like this are very subjective but saying that someone other's opnion is ridculous, is a lack of respect.

I can argue my opinion about Gerrard not being in the theam of the noughties.
Gerrard is a CMF, well Essien, Lampard, Xabi Alonso and Cesc Fabregas are arguably 4 players that are better than Gerrard....that is subjective but not ridiculous at all...i'm also pretty sure that Viera playe for Arsenal in the noughties...there are plenty of arguments to say that Viera is better than Gerrard too..

Last edited:
The best Belgian player of his generation but his generation was a very weak one.
He would never be in all-time best Belgian team, not even on the bench.
I personally liked him a lot. He had lots of personality be he was not a pure talent.

i agree on the nesta - cana thing , nesta is better
to speak in pes overall rating both players on their peak or somin:
(including overall best players in history in mind)
cana is 90
nesta 93

also agree on gerrard, overrated

@ gerd
how u rate hazard ?
can he go to be in the best belgian 11 ?

Gerd how often you saw those guys from old days? Just World Cups and important tournaments or club games too?

Anyway I cant even think of my club favorite eleven since I started understanding the game, imagine all players, there are far too many options.

I also think its a bit unfair to put players who still active, they can still mess up their carreer, Ronaldão anyone? You cant pick a momment but careers.

If you refer to Brazilian Carlos Alberto Torres, he was basically a right back.

My best eleven would be:

Lev Yashin (Soviet Union)
Bobby Moore (England) --- Franco Baresi (Italy)
Carlos Alberto (Brazil) ------ Franz Beckenbauer (Germany) ------ Paolo Maldini (Italy)
Alfredo di Stéfano (Argentina) --- Diego Maradona (Argentina)
Garrincha (Brazil) ---------------- Pelé (Brazil) ------------ Johan Cruyff (Netherlands)​

Second team:

Dino Zoff (Italy)
Gaetano Scirea (Italy) --- Daniel Passarella (Argentina)
Djalma Santos (Brazil) -------------------------------------------------- Nílton Santos (Brazil)
Lothar Matthäus (Germany)
Michel Platini (France) ------- Zinedine Zidane (France)
Ferenc Puskás (Hungary) -------- Ronaldo (Brazil) --------- George Best (Northern Ireland)​

Hazard is nowhere near the best Belgian eleven ever. He can become one of them, but it's too soon now.
I admit that i only saw Carlos Alberto at 1970 WC. He made a fantastic impression on me (in 1986 the BBC showed some 1970 matches integrally as a prelude to the second WC-tournament in Mexico...). I never knew he was a right back...

Passarella could also have been in my team.

Cool teams Glavisted.

For the players I witnessed:

----------------------Schmeichel--------------------
-Cafu-----------Maldini---------Nesta-----------J. Zanetti-
---------------------------Pirlo---------------------------
------------------------Zidane-----------------------------
--Giggs--------------------------------------Ronaldinho----
-----------------Shevchenko-----Henry----------------------

------------------ Taffarel -------------------

Cafu ---- Cannavaro ---- Puyol ---------- R.Carlos

--------------- Makalele --- Viera -----------

------- Figo -------Zidane------------ Ronaldinho

----------------- Ronaldo 99 ---------------------

------------------------------buffon

-----zanetti-----------baresi---------nesta------------maldini

--------------------redondo
-----------------------------------------scholes

-----------------------------totti

-----------maradona----------------------------baggio
---------------------------van basten

but just like MASTER - w11 said, the thing with theese "best 11" is that's impossible to come out with just 1 player for each role.... i mean, looking at the line up i just posted, there are so many great players that would deserve to be in there just as much as the ones i mentioned (like scirea, xavi, pirlo, cafu, mattheus, zidane, platini, zico, ronaldo... i mean the brazilian one).... it's just impossible to come out with a single best 11.

The Guardian websiote is doing a best eleven and what they are choosing is nowhere near my taste...of course these are useless discussions but that why it's fun.
My best eleven.

GK: Neville Southall
RB: Eric Gerets
CB: Gaetano Scirea

So Gerets used to be a very good player huh?

I didn't even know. Thanks for info.

I guess like Ancelotti then, he was not only a very good player but turned out to be a very good manager.

Dude Arce! He was freaking awesome, forgot about this fella. True FK Master Juninho got nothing on him :)

I'm still thinking about my list since my last post here. Can't make my mind.

Back
Top Bottom