The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Re: Apple iPod and iPhone - Official Topic

The touch screen on W950i and iPod Touch/iPhone are worlds apart really :)
There is no device that makes web browsing easier than this IMHO!

my girlfriend is off to new york on thursday for the weekend - i told her to bring me back an iphone...

does anyone know how much they are in dollars? i'm assuming she can just walk into the apple store and buy one without a contract, so i should be able to stick my orange sim in it and off i go? is this correct?

is it best for her to buy it on her credit card or should she buy dollars before she goes?

tia

MJ it needs unlocking! so it wont be as straightforward as that I think mate. They only sell them over there on the AT&T network I think (must check the PSP Hacking 101 episode again about the Iphone)

that's not good!

i thought they sold contract free iphones in the states...

From what I can remember hearing there are only Iphones that are locked to that Network... If you unlock them and then download the latest Firmware Upgrade you will have a Bricked Iphone... There is a method of getting around that though called the Iphone 'Virginiser' that puts your Iphone back to its factory state, takes the update and then allows you to "Re-Unlock" it.

does that mean i can buy one on a pay-as-you-go tariff from a AT&T shop, then just unlock it once i get it back here?

seems not!

just checked and it looks like contract only...

ebay is the only place i feel...

It is contract only.

You could buy it from USA, and unlock it in the UK, not too difficult, plus that will be the cheapest option.

Unlocked ones on eBay go for a hefty fee. And while your GF is in USA, you might as well get an iPhone, and just sell it on eBay UK :p

but i don't understand how she could buy it in america if it's contract only...

care to elaborate mate? :p

Oh, you buy the phone on its own.

Then you go home, plug it into your PC/mac and you register it with iTunes. You don't buy/sign the contract instore, you just buy the phone alone (which is locked completely) and will only work after activation where you choose your tariff online etc.

ok, i have my iphone (unfortunately, i don't have internet at my new-build house cos southern water have just drilled through 50 BT conduits and i have to wait until 10th january for a line installation!)

it's unlocked to the at&t network but only cost her $439 - BARGAIN!!!

it's 1.1.2 out of the box, which means it can't be fully unlocked to any uk netork yet, but i'm gonna use an 02 PAYG sim in the meantime until some brainbox can crack it properly...

it's B.E.A.utiful!!!

I can't even see where you begin to take the iPhone apart to swap the sim card or anything! Not that I would want to though, I'm more than happy with mine! Posting this message from it now in fact :D

Im sure there is a way of taking the back cover off. It would be ridiculous if they made the sim card built in.... You would have to replace the handset everytime you changed something!

There is no way of taking the back cover off, typical Apple. As for the sim card, you take it out by inserting the end of a paper clip into the small hole near the sleep button :)

I can't even see where you begin to take the iPhone apart to swap the sim card or anything! Not that I would want to though, I'm more than happy with mine! Posting this message from it now in fact :D

You must be quite loaded to be able to afford those O2 Tariffs, they are ridiculous IMHO!

And Milanista cehck out: http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/index.php

Go to their stickies somewhere and it should tell ya!
Install the Mail app as well! It's great, and do you use GMail?

Thanks ash! Worked great! Im writing this off my itouch! Its such a sexy piece of technology. Im hoping a fancy remote will come out for it!

You must be quite loaded to be able to afford those O2 Tariffs, they are ridiculous IMHO!

Only £45 a month mate! I rarely go above the 500 free texts per month and never make calls. Plus internet is free, whichever connection you are on, (Edge, WiFi etc), so it's really not too bad :)

Only £45 a month mate! I rarely go above the 500 free texts per month and never make calls. Plus internet is free, whichever connection you are on, (Edge, WiFi etc), so it's really not too bad :)

Cool for you.
But £45 is a lot I think. When you can get much better deals on cashback and then the internet add-on on top, and will still be under £10 a month at some places. Without cashback, the O2 Simplicity deal, and £7.50 add-on still makes it cheaper.

A contract phone on a monthly tariff of under £10 a month? :roll:

I mean, you would get the contract on any phone, and then use that sim in an iPhone, bought from the O2/Carphone Warehouse store which you could just unlock yourself now :)

Will work out cheaper. The worry with that 02 iPhone Contract is, that after 18 months, is that you can't use the iPhone without staying on the O2 contract, they won't unlock it for you, that's a bitch, but you could do it yourself.

Nick I can't help on that, sorry.
But did you get her some better headphones? The standard iPod ones are rubbish IMHO. I sell them straight away without opening them myself. You can get very good ones for under £20, if you want some reccomendations, just ask :)

I had a similar sort of thing, it's a good idea, just make sure that the cradle is secure and won't bounce around with the bumps/unevenness of the road.

Nick I can't help on that, sorry.
But did you get her some better headphones? The standard iPod ones are rubbish IMHO. I sell them straight away without opening them myself. You can get very good ones for under £20, if you want some reccomendations, just ask :)

Under £20 and good!! yep fire away... the last ones I got her,which she lost with her ipod were £70... :(

Back
Top Bottom