The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Re: iPod touch

Okay...

I Jailbroke my iPod Touch, was a bit worried at first, but now I would highly reccomend it! You can now install all iPhone Apps, along with other 3rd Party Applications :)

And really customise the icons, wallpapers, text strings etc.

Time for two new iPods, I don't like the idea of paying extra for the touch, though I've not looked into it, it's just the fact I want plenty of space, I have an old 30G model and like the look of the 80G classic , but have heard a few worries with the speed of search etc. Anyone have a latest non Apple product they would recommend, I've not looked at any as all the mags and shows always come back to favour iPod...

Try the Creative Zen Vision W or the Cowon portable media players.

I have the Zen Vision W, and I prefer it to my old iPod Video. Supports more codecs, and has widescreen support. You could also try the Cowon A2, but I haven't tried it personally.

Time for two new iPods, I don't like the idea of paying extra for the touch, though I've not looked into it, it's just the fact I want plenty of space, I have an old 30G model and like the look of the 80G classic , but have heard a few worries with the speed of search etc. Anyone have a latest non Apple product they would recommend, I've not looked at any as all the mags and shows always come back to favour iPod...

It's been fixed with the new firmware! \\:o/

I would reccomend the Classic VERY highly, its easily the best value for money (I have the Touch... better for video watching due to bigger screen, but pricey).

If you go for classic, I am sure you can find some £xx off vouchers on HUKD (googe it if you don't know what it is) and good luck!

I have the Zen Vision: M as well, and its a great plaer since its plays DivX/XVid video, but the UI isn't as good as the iPods.

If you want to grab a bargain, you could try to buy a Microsoft Zune (first gen) 30GB from eBay UK or USA pretty cheap now.

Re: Apple iPod and iPhone - Official Topic

Gonna try pick up a 1st-gen iPod Nano on the cheap, I reckon they're still the most stylish...

368546.jpg

So Ash, with all the hacks and now being an owner for a bit now, what are you final thoughts on the touch? Im planning on getting a 16gb one for xmas.

Is the video quality good? And how is the battery life for video and for music, and maybe even for safari? Do finger prints get in the way? and how does it feel having it in your pocket?

thanks!

Video quality is great! I have been converting XVid files using Red Kawa's iPod Touch Covertor. I am a bit of a quality freak, so I use 1500kbs for the video, and it comes out great! I've watched a lot of TV shows, and the odd film on this.

Battery life is good if you JUST listen to music. Since I use the Wi-Fi leaving it on to check my email every 15 minutes, use Safari a lot, videos and music as well, then it doesn't last forever. But its still very good, I wouldn't worry about it.

Finger-prints can not be seen when the screen is on, when it is off, you can see it. Now I bought a skin for it from BestSkinEver.com for it for about $10 I think. And put it on, and its a lot better/safer. Less fingerprints on it, actually none really. And now no worry about it getting scratched.

Yeah, its pretty slim so I really like it.

If you are going to get one, FIRST thing I will do is to order a skin from BestSkinEver.com or an Invisible Shield from play.com/or any other site. Because as you can see, the back is aluminium, and it gets scrached like shit! I looked after it soo much, but still got scratched, like from placing it on my tables and jeans pockets etc.

And its great, I've synched all my contacts from GMail by exporting the contacts, putting them on Outlook, then using iTunes to synch, so now I can just email to them very easily.

If you have any questions, just ask :)

Had a few mins with the Iphone in a local O2 shop the other day, have to say I wasnt overwhelmed by it.... It was unreliable, froze a fair few times and the Touch Screen was quite unresponsive at the best of times. Unless a Firmware update fixes these issues, I dont reckon its worth it.

With Windows, still can't afford a Mac yet :p

I have found mine very reliable, touch screen perfect, maybe you need to get used to it?

I tried it in the Regent Street apple store, and loved it right away. Ive got a Macbook Pro and quite a stylish desk, so I'm sure the touch would suit my set up.

edit - i'm a neat freak.... my HDTV is a white samsung, my JBLs are white and my 360 is white, along with my aluminium lamp and black desk with white rims.... lol

I have bought an iPhone earlier this evening, it's now all synced with my iTunes :) Going to have a proper look round it now!

I'll probably wait for the next generation of iPhones. These dont hold enough storage space for me. I already have a 80gb Video one and the new 8gb Nano which also plays videos. Both share the same resolution so if I got the iPhone or the Touch, I'll have to re-encode all my videos again.

Is there anyway to get an iPhone without a contract, for under £300? I want to get one and I know you can have them unlocked, but I don't wanna pay stupid money.

eBay looks like the only option. What about importing them though?

I think eBay is the only way, and you better do it quick.

Before you could just go to an Apple store and buy the iPhone with cash. Now only with a credit card, and 2 per customer, so supply will decrease pushing price up.

And Tim, did you get that on the O2 contract? You must be pretty rich or mad, because those plans are a bump!

Yeah eBay prices are not too bad at the minute, if you get it from a US seller. Around £300, which is cheaper than buying it over here and then paying to have it unlocked

A few questions about the iPhone and it being unlocked, not sure if anyone can answer them? (Ash?)

I see a lot of talk about 'firmware'? Is it similar to the PSP where, if I buy an unlocked iPhone, I won't be able to upgrade the firmware?

Is there anyway of Apple finding out I'm using an unlocked phone and thus, blocking it or something similar?

Anything else I should be wary about?

Thanks

don't quote me on this, but i'm pretty sure i read that unlocking the phone can render it useless once you try to flash a new firmware onto it...

i too am seriously considering buying one of these. my mate brought his into work today and i instantly fell in love with it...

I read somewhere that Apple will brick iPhones that are unlocked. So I'm guessing you shouldnt upgrade once its unlocked yourself.

Its all good so far, just make sure you don't update firmware and you are all good.

In the future, when you want to update, you reset back to factory settings, update, and then hack it again, that is if the hack is out for the new firmware.

But currently, the new firmwares have nothing major out, so no worry.

Its all good so far, just make sure you don't update firmware and you are all good.

In the future, when you want to update, you reset back to factory settings, update, and then hack it again, that is if the hack is out for the new firmware.

But currently, the new firmwares have nothing major out, so no worry.

Yeah I've been reading up on it. I definitely won't update until the latest firmware is totally newbie proof. I've read some horror stories in my research so I'll stick with version 1.1.1 at the moment.

I read somewhere that Apple will brick iPhones that are unlocked. So I'm guessing you shouldnt upgrade once its unlocked yourself.
Soon PSP Hacking 101 (or too smart guys as they are otherwise known) will show you how you can Reset your Iphone back to its original state, upgrade the firmware and then re-unlock it again :)

I'll probably wait for the next generation of iPhones. These dont hold enough storage space for me. I already have a 80gb Video one and the new 8gb Nano which also plays videos. Both share the same resolution so if I got the iPhone or the Touch, I'll have to re-encode all my videos again.
Probably a safe idea to see what they come up with for their next model. I agree with you on the Storage aspect too, at present there isnt enough as most of us have 30GB+ Ipod's anyway :)

Also the lack of 3G sorta kills it for me too. Hence im glad I got the N95. Plus whilst I was testing the Iphone, some bloke asked me what I thought of this and also what I thought about the N95, I let him have a look at mine and he went and got an N95!

Yeah, I'm on the same boat as you. I have a N95 that does everything else anyway and a W950i which has a touch screen. So for me personally, the iPhone doesnt give me anything new.

Back
Top Bottom