Sony PlayStation 4

Hmm I might have a faulty console, my PS4 definitely runs loud, especially during AC4. It's fairly warm at the back but the sound is a little less than the old 360 used to make.

Hmm I might have a faulty console, my PS4 definitely runs loud, especially during AC4. It's fairly warm at the back but the sound is a little less than the old 360 used to make.

I posted quite a bit about this, and I was close to returning mine, but I've now concluded that the PS4 simply can run pretty loud, at least when it comes to fan noise. Make sure yours is in a very well ventilated location.

On the official playstation forums and elsewhere there are plenty of people talking about this issue, and there are a number of videos posted for examples, so if I were you I'd do a bit of research before thinking yours is faulty.

For example, my system is very quiet running FIFA, but the fan can get pretty loud when running Killzone, which seems to be the game that most people are having noise issues with. I've been looking hard but I've yet to see a video of someones system running Killzone with a quiet fan. Sounds like this might be the cost of having a system that is so much smaller than the X1 plus without an external power brick.

Last edited:
About to unbox. Do I need to charge the pads first?

Mine wasn't charged, but you can use them while they're charging so long as they're plugged in.

Just finished playing a bit of Killzone and the fan noise was virtually the same as when it's running FIFA, I'd say around the same as my PS3. I can only really hear it when I put my head within a couple of feet of the console.

Killzone seems pretty much more of the same, which isn't really a bad thing as I like the series anyways. Graphics are amazing.

One thing I can't decide is though is whether to change the rgb range from auto to full in the display settings. It seems to make the game seem darker and more colourful, so I don't know whether to just leave everything at auto and make adjustments on my tv, or change the range to full.

I have to say though I'm really impressed so far. The controller feels so much nicer, and the track pad on the front works well with Killzone.

Today's Page 3 of the Sun:APPLAUD:
page3.jpg

Mine wasn't charged, but you can use them while they're charging so long as they're plugged in.

Just finished playing a bit of Killzone and the fan noise was virtually the same as when it's running FIFA, I'd say around the same as my PS3. I can only really hear it when I put my head within a couple of feet of the console.

Killzone seems pretty much more of the same, which isn't really a bad thing as I like the series anyways. Graphics are amazing.

One thing I can't decide is though is whether to change the rgb range from auto to full in the display settings. It seems to make the game seem darker and more colourful, so I don't know whether to just leave everything at auto and make adjustments on my tv, or change the range to full.

I have to say though I'm really impressed so far. The controller feels so much nicer, and the track pad on the front works well with Killzone.

Interesting. How long did you play for?

Mine is quieter since I moved it to a better ventilated place, but I can certainly hear the fan running after playing Killzone for a while. FIfA runs more like you've described.

If yours trully runs Killzone quiet, I'd love to see a video if you can post one. So far I've yet to find someone with a supposed quiet system running Killzone who can actually provide some sort of proof. Not that I'm challenging you; I'm still just trying to figure out whether my system runs loud or not.

This is some piece of kit. Love it when you unbox new, good tech, have seamless setup and everything is clean, clinical and right.

Chinese ordered, dog on the sofa next to me, the wife out, ps4 set up. This could be a top 5 all-time evening in.

This is some piece of kit. Love it when you unbox new, good tech, have seamless setup and everything is clean, clinical and right.

Chinese ordered, dog on the sofa next to me, the wife out, ps4 set up. This could be a top 5 all-time evening in.

Nice:))

All you need is a stripper and some beer and your good to go

Does anyone get any extra info under a game title in the menus? What I mean is, say if you highlight the Killzone icon, do people get a drop down box with extra info and activities about the game? It's on loads of user videos showing their ps4s but mine doesn't show it. All you get is the option to start the game.

Any ideas!?

Also, I noticed my mate is online playing BF4. For me to be able to view his game in progress, like they showed on the tech demos, does he have to purposely select share to broadcast his game? I thought we could see our friend's games privately and join them as and where wanted?

Last edited:
Does anyone get any extra info under a game title in the menus? What I mean is, say if you highlight the Killzone icon, do people get a drop down box with extra info and activities about the game? It's on loads of user videos showing their ps4s but mine doesn't show it. All you get is the option to start the game.

Any ideas!?

Also, I noticed my mate is online playing BF4. For me to be able to view his game in progress, like they showed on the tech demos, does he have to purposely select share to broadcast his game? I thought we could see our friend's games privately and join them as and where wanted?

Maybe it's because you're not connected to PSN? Yes, I always have those drop down options, but I think they're dependent on being connected to PSN, so maybe you got something going on with that?

had a strange issue.

I was playing fifa and the screen resolution went all screwed up.

it zoomed in, but had some form of ghosting affect whereas players would be ghosting over game activity below it.

you know if you have a poor tv signal and you get two tv programs overlapping.

it wasn't just the game, it was the whole PS4 menu too.

it would flick back to normal again. did this about 4 times over the space of 30 mins

it is not the aspect ratio of the tv either.

unless there is some sort of issue between the ps4 and my amp or it is a glitch or issue with ps4.

I am using the same hdmi cable, amp setup/port/ and tv that I had previously with my other consoles and htpc without problems.

I am wondering if it is the GPU getting hot and it is messing about.

I went into the video settings on the PS4 and changed it from auto to 1080p, hopefully it is a software glitch like that

Interesting. How long did you play for?

Mine is quieter since I moved it to a better ventilated place, but I can certainly hear the fan running after playing Killzone for a while. FIfA runs more like you've described.

If yours trully runs Killzone quiet, I'd love to see a video if you can post one. So far I've yet to find someone with a supposed quiet system running Killzone who can actually provide some sort of proof. Not that I'm challenging you; I'm still just trying to figure out whether my system runs loud or not.

I played KZ for roughly a couple of hours, when I took my headphones off I can honestly say it was only marginally louder than when FIFA is on. It was audible from a few feet away, but no more so than my PS3 is, and it's miles quieter than my 360. When I have FIFA on then I can't really hear it unless I put my head close to the console. In fact when FIFA is on, I'm not even sure the fan is on.

Maybe other peoples' PS4s are working just fine and mine's about to self combust due to overheating, who knows! But I've pretty much had the thing on non-stop since about three this afternoon and it's only mildly warm at the back of it. Mine's well ventilated and currently sitting flat rather than standing up.

I'll see if I can sort out a video tomorrow.

Last edited:
Played for around 6 hours after getting on to psn. Fifa mostly then some bf4.

I don't hear the console at all and I felt the case as i was switching it off and it didn't seem too hot.

Still getting used to the console but loving it so far.

Only complaint is that the stupid headphones you get hurt my ear and its hard to hear folk in the party. Once the patch for older headsets come out I will be happier.

The on off button is also too close to the USB ports as I switched the console off by mistake when removing the USB charging my controller.

I placed my PS4 horizontally after mentioning the noise and it did seem to make a difference.

The console is on a shelf on a glass computer stand so tons of ventilation. Maybe I'll look into the official stand, I've heard some suggest it does help with air floe from the console.

I'm not sure if that is why there is a small wedge underneath the console. It doesn't sit completely flush on my glass unit. Maybe to let air at it. No idea.

I've always placed my consoles horizontally and never had issues.

Think I've also heard on youtube suggestions from both Sony and Microsoft to place consoles horizontally as well.

Guess that's the best way to go.

Horizontal is def the way to go with the PS4. Some people place rubber or felt bumpers on the bottom to give it a little lift too.

Horizontal is def the way to go with the PS4. Some people place rubber or felt bumpers on the bottom to give it a little lift too.

I had no idea until today but yeah, there are loads of websites saying the PS4 runs miles quieter when horizontal. If you put it vertical, you're basically blocking one of its two side vents, making the fan work much harder.

Did you have yours vertical when you first noticed your fan issue?

Streaming is great, my dad was pretty impressed being able to watch me play Kullzone online. Not so impressed with my poor skills though.

Just discovered clicking R3 let's you use the gyro in the controller for typing. Very cool.

I have an intermittent issue.

The tv while playing ps4 will what seems to change resolution, everything zooms in and doubles up. Losing all visual quality and looks distorted.

No other devices cause this issue.

Wondering if it is some sort of hdmi issue between the devices.

Running the ps4 through a decent enough amp denon 3312.

Not sure how to explain the problem so difficult to look it up.

Got dags friend request and added bitter rivals.

Is there a thread with new psn id's for the old 360 fifa manual crowd

Is that only with Fifa? All games? Just games? Anything on PS4? Maybe try a different cable or whatever setup you've got? Try eliminating things 1 by 1.

Try going direct into the TV and see if you still have issues. If you are, it's the PS4. If not, it's the PS4 not connecting to the amp properly - in which case it may still need you to get a new one, or if you know anybody with a PS4 you should get them to bring theirs round and see if you have the same issue.

Taking your amp to a shop and testing it with one of their PS4s is another option.

Have you tried forcing the PS4 to use other resolutions to see if that fixes the issue?

I have mostly played fifa 14 and that is the time I noticed it.

I tried playing resogun and it did not do it. I have navigated the PS4 menus no problems

I can trigger this problem all the time. when I have hit the share button I have a bunch of recordings which I hoped captured the issue. so when playing these back it did not show it in the gameplay that was recorded but in fact triggers the issue

I can trigger the issue every time now which is playing a capture of fifa 14 back as seen on the video.

If I change video source on the amp or on the tv this forces the hdmi handshake and fixes the issue. it can automatically right itself too.

if I hit the share button while the issue is happening that also fixes it so the share button is obviously communicating with the hdmi port/GPU with capturing in the background.

I believe it to be some sort of handshake issue between the devices, I am pointing my finger at the PS4.

My TV is top spec and my amp is a decent one too

TV Panasonic VT565 55"
Denon 3312 amp

I don't have an issues with any other devices with this setup.
xbox 360, ps3, HTPC, sky HD

I have forced the PS4 to output 1080p as it was set to Auto, this did not help.

nothing changes on my amp display screen at the time of it happening so the amp isn't flicking sources. cross talk is unlikely due to other devices working correctly.

going to change the HDMI cable now and test

Back
Top Bottom