Sony PlayStation 4 PRO

Try looking under gerneral settings and something called HDMI ultra HD deep colour.
Turn it on as it's probably off. Should work then. Did for me.

I think I have to buy a new 4K TV with HDMI-HDCP 2+ support. I have HDCP 1.4. So I have a 4K TV and can't stream anything on 4K. Very good...

This is a really nice looking console, far better than original PS4 in my opinion.

In Video Ouput settings, should I leave it set at 'Automatic' or the '2160p' option - I am assuming the latter is 4k (and I do have a 4k tv) but is there any point in choosing this if the game doesn't support it?

I suggest setting it at 2160p.

Or I am assuming it might upscale 1080p to 4k using bicubic filtering ad make it blurry. Just assuming.

_______

Does the Ps4 pro controller works for PC in Fifa 16/17 with full functionality (vibrations and 360 degree analog) out of the box? Or I'm better off with xbox controller when playing in pc?

Also unless I'm going mad, the battery life on the controller is way better.

I played for an hour or two, 2 nights ago, and about 3 hours last night, and still 2 bars left. I would be on low one/needing to recharge on my other DS4.
That'll be because the battery in your old controller is a bit battered, even though you wouldn't notice the gradual change. Compared to my original PS4 controller, the new one lasts twice as long - but I bought a new PS4 controller a couple of months ago, and that one lasts the same amount of time.

In Video Ouput settings, should I leave it set at 'Automatic' or the '2160p' option - I am assuming the latter is 4k (and I do have a 4k tv) but is there any point in choosing this if the game doesn't support it?
Right, there's a whole interesting subplot here, that pissed me off a bit until I realised there's nothing Sony can actually do about it, short of swapping HDMI for Displayport and rendering all 4K TVs useless. (I know you didn't ask about this specifically, but you reminded me that I wanted to pass on this warning!)

On the display settings menu, with a 4K TV, you should have two options:
(1) 2160p YUV420
(2) 2160p RGB

Whichever you choose, you're sacrificing something.

(1) is HDR-compatible, but gives you 4:2:0 chroma (i.e. compression, which gives you a slight loss of colour accuracy).

(2) is NOT HDR-compatible, but gives you 4:4:4 chroma (no compression).

For this reason, I would set your display choice to "automatic". The theory is, when a game is HDR-compatible, it will switch to mode 1, and when it isn't, mode 2, so you get the best possible combination.

All of this is because, even with the included HDMI cable, HDMI doesn't have the bandwidth to pack in both HDR and 4:4:4 chroma together.

That's the basics - there's more about it over at NeoGAF, if you're technically minded enough to care (8-bit/10-bit colour, refresh rates and more):
NeoGAF: PS4 Pro, 2160p-YUV420 or 2160p-RGB

But, I'm glad I know.

(To answer your original question - if you leave it on "automatic" and then play a 1080p game, the Pro will upscale it to the maximum resolution of your screen, i.e. one of the above modes. This upscaling will look better than the one that your TV does with 1080p content, but not massively different in most cases.)

Last edited:
That'll be because the battery in your old controller is a bit battered, even though you wouldn't notice the gradual change. Compared to my original PS4 controller, the new one lasts twice as long - but I bought a new PS4 controller a couple of months ago, and that one lasts the same amount of time.

Right, there's a whole interesting subplot here, that pissed me off a bit until I realised there's nothing Sony can actually do about it, short of swapping HDMI for Displayport and rendering all 4K TVs useless. (I know you didn't ask about this specifically, but you reminded me that I wanted to pass on this warning!)

(1) 2160p YUV420
(2) 2160p RGB

(1) is HDR-compatible, but gives you 4:2:0 chroma (i.e. compression, which gives you a slight loss of colour accuracy).

For this reason, I would set your display choice to "automatic". The theory is, when a game is HDR-compatible, it will switch to mode 1, and when it isn't, mode 2, so you get the best possible combination.

All of this is because, even with the included HDMI cable, HDMI doesn't have the bandwidth to pack in both HDR and 4:4:4 chroma together.

That's the basics - there's more about it over at NeoGAF, if you're technically minded enough to care (8-bit/10-bit colour, refresh rates and more):

But, I'm glad I know.

(To answer your original question - if you leave it on "automatic" and then play a 1080p game, the Pro will upscale it to the maximum resolution of your screen, i.e. one of the above modes. This upscaling will look better than the one that your TV does with 1080p content, but not massively different in most cases.)

Cheers for the head's up - mine's now set to Automatic!

As an aside, I watched Netflix via the Pro last night and the 4k looked fantastic!

This is a really nice looking console, far better than original PS4 in my opinion.
I didn't really like the look of the original either. Too much gloss or something... Much prefer the more mature matte finish of the pro. Overall I think this is a much better console than the basic PS4. The user interface runs smoother and faster, games look better and load faster... It's also quieter and stays cooler than my old PS4. Consumes less electricity too.

Last edited:
I didn't really like the look of the original either. Too much gloss or something... Much prefer the more mature matte finish of the pro. Overall I think this is a much better console than the basic PS4. The user interface runs smoother and faster, games look better and load faster... It's also quieter and stays cooler than my old PS4. Consumes less electricity too.
It's a lot quieter! My old PS4 sounded like a jet plane taking off.

(1) 2160p YUV420
(2) 2160p RGB

But, I'm glad I know.

I read that thread this week and felt I needed a lie down. Seems odd we can't get the best 4K and HDR.

Although the weirdest stuff I read was about VR. Can't check to see if true or not. Was gonna buy it, tried it and thought resolution was crap. The pro upgrades it, so may get it, but the pro hdmi goes into the vr box and can't pass through 4K/HDR one or the other I believe. Seems stupid, having to change cables.

On a side note dodgy games shop comes up trump, off to buy watch dogs 2

Although the weirdest stuff I read was about VR. Can't check to see if true or not. [...] The pro upgrades it, so may get it, but the pro hdmi goes into the vr box and can't pass through 4K/HDR one or the other I believe. Seems stupid, having to change cables.
I can confirm that's 100% true, and fucking ridiculous.

The VR unit can neither pass through HDR, nor chroma above 4:2:0 (e.g. 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, both of which the RGB display mode supports).

So they tell you to buy a latest-greatest 4K TV and all of their PR has pushed HDR as a bigger visual improvement than the increase in resolution - and then... They tell you that if you buy the VR headset, you literally have to disconnect the HDMI cable from the VR unit and swap the cable into the back of the PS4 Pro, and then back again, every time you want to see the increase in visual quality that you bought the PS4 Pro for.

Absolutely fucking ridiculous, and it's such a pain in the arse that I'm close to selling the VR because of it.

Can someone tell how Fifa 17 looks so good on the pro? Ea haven't released a patch for pro support yet have they? It's beautiful compared to the normal PS4! I'm confused

Fifa had pro support on the disc already unless I'm mistaken
Yeah that seems so! But no hdr? I thought they ea confirmed hdr support? Well it looks beautiful! Just wish they up the lod in gameplay 4 faces and hair! Kits and pitches amazing.

Yeah that seems so! But no hdr? I thought they ea confirmed hdr support? Well it looks beautiful! Just wish they up the lod in gameplay 4 faces and hair! Kits and pitches amazing.
I would rather they cared more about slowing the game down and making it more realistic! Forget Faces and Hair in 4K / HDR.... The game this year is a Joke.

Can someone tell how Fifa 17 looks so good on the pro? Ea haven't released a patch for pro support yet have they? It's beautiful compared to the normal PS4! I'm confused
I've commented on this in the FIFA thread, I'd say 50% of it looks a massive improvement and 50% of it looks terrible because of the not-4K-sized textures (the faces are creepy IMO).

But it has Pro support, definitely, it's not just upscaled.

I've commented on this in the FIFA thread, I'd say 50% of it looks a massive improvement and 50% of it looks terrible because of the not-4K-sized textures (the faces are creepy IMO).

But it has Pro support, definitely, it's not just upscaled.

Surprised that FIFA has a massive difference in 4k..

Unless they also massively increased the graphics.

On PC FIFA 17 in 4K doesn't look much different than HD, a couple of improvements but not much - I did think though that the textures don't look 4K.

However in comparison PC HD v PS4 HD the difference is huge - So the PS4 Pro must be be patched on FIFA to run on much higher settings.

I am not sure if anyone has Tomb Raider to test but on PC there is a big difference between HD and 4K.

Surprised that FIFA has a massive difference in 4k..

Unless they also massively increased the graphics.
The kits definitely look 4K-friendly. They're incredibly crisp.

The team logos on the PL / cup intro scenes, though - along with player faces and skins - 100% aren't (the logos were visibly pixelated, which shocked me).

It's a bit of a weird juxtaposition - you get a close-up of one area and think "wow", and then it switches to someone's face and it looks like a doll, because you can see the sharp edges of the model (particularly the eyes).

Certainly an improvement, though! Didn't have chance to try anything else, because I couldn't do the hard drive transfer - I realised I was trying to move from a 2TB PS4 hard drive to the 1TB Pro hard drive, and I don't have an external one big enough to do a backup, so I'm having to redownload everything again.

I started at 1pm yesterday, with a 70mb internet connection (with a couple of hours' break to install the PES option file from scratch) - 24 hours later, there were still 100 games and DLC packs to download...

I even booked yesterday off work - what a waste of time that was.

Looks like the Pro fan can be cleaned without voiding the warranty. The top cover isn't connected by screws and can be unsnapped from the rest of the console. :)

Teardown

4udrkka1zdcywvyg4ozdi.jpg

Last edited:
The heat that it pumps out is pretty terrifying.

I tried to plug a USB stick into the front of it, but couldn't - the plastic around it means you can only plug in the thinnest of plugs (another STUPID design choice, unbelievable). So I plugged it into the rear port, left it in there for about half an hour, and when I took it out, the connector on the end of the stick was scalding - and it's in a well-ventilated TV unit, too.

I wasn't even playing a game, I was just copying files over and downloading my PSN library. I can't begin to imagine what'll happen when playing 4K games.

If it keeps reaching those temperatures, it won't last five minutes. Got to figure something out to keep it cooler, but I'm not sure how.

That's not terribly reassuring.
Well, so far my Pro experience has been:
  • 24+ hours of downloading my old stuff (because I had to swap hard drives, but even using the cable would have taken a predicted 36 hours).
  • Discovering that you can't have HDR and 10-bit 4:4:4 chroma colour at the same time (not Sony's fault, though).
  • Finding out I have to unplug the VR unit and fiddle around with the cable at the back of the console every time I want to play a HDR game.
  • Noticing that the console runs at a million degrees.
  • Reading that The Last of Us Remastered runs at a higher frame rate on the original PS4, with PS4 Pro framerate drops as low as 6fps.
  • Managing to play 5 minutes of FIFA all day due to all the above, on a day I booked off work to play games, and feeling totally disheartened...
I'm still excited to play on it properly, but for a premium product, my initial feelings are, what the fuck am I getting myself into here.

Yeah mine was boiling hot after spending a few hours transferring Chris's OF over.

I might have to plug in a fan to keep the thing cooler - or is it allowed to get that hot?

I see the potential in VR, but as I've mentioned on here before, I was so down to get one, then tried one here over the summer in a shop and thought it was shit. Cool, yet gimmicky and ultimately a bit shit with PS2/3 graphics the main let down. I reckon the next gen will do VR well at the resolution and framerates needed, but don't think it's now as good as I want it to be.

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat issue..

A console is so tightly put together, that the heat has no where to go so it is going to be really hot.. But not hot enough it is going to cook the CPU and GPU.

I can't believe anyone in 2016 wants a VR thing. So mid 90s. Was shit then and looks just as shit now,
If you're enjoying then good for you but I just don't get it.
Also keep in mind when watchinh 3d movies or games, your eyes don't act normal.

The base object aka the screen is fixed at a certain position, yet you make your eyes parallel or crossed to have the illusion of distance. Oh yeah, you will get the feel of 3d but you are still focusing at the screen position and messing with your eyes and ultimately ruining your vision.

Then comes the fact that VR is like what? 6 to 7 inches away from your eyes?

I definitely dont wanna kill my eyes. The idea was cool, but the damages it can do is far more costly.

Well, so far my Pro experience has been:
  • 24+ hours of downloading my old stuff (because I had to swap hard drives, but even using the cable would have taken a predicted 36 hours).
  • Discovering that you can't have HDR and 10-bit 4:4:4 chroma colour at the same time (not Sony's fault, though).
  • Finding out I have to unplug the VR unit and fiddle around with the cable at the back of the console every time I want to play a HDR game.
  • Noticing that the console runs at a million degrees.
  • Reading that The Last of Us Remastered runs at a higher frame rate on the original PS4, with PS4 Pro framerate drops as low as 6fps.
  • Managing to play 5 minutes of FIFA all day due to all the above, on a day I booked off work to play games, and feeling totally disheartened...
I'm still excited to play on it properly, but for a premium product, my initial feelings are, what the fuck am I getting myself into here.
Hmmmm I think maybe you had too high expectations for this thing Chris?

Back
Top Bottom