Sony PlayStation 4 PRO

Enjoy your Jet Engine.... I mean PS4 Pro :) The noise mine makes at times is RIDICULOUS!
Yeah mine too, the new Xbox (One X) is whisper-quiet no matter what I throw at it and I'm absolutely amazed given the noise/heat the PS4 Pro kicks out (even when you're sat on a menu screen)...

Still prefer the PS4 though, which is mad really.

I wonder if there will be a new SKU soon, the recent bundle with FIFA is the same SKU as the original. Doesn't need to be slim or any significant change, the old PS4 had different SKUS within the same shell design. Putting an HD-Blu-Ray player in one and putting it out at the same time as the XBone1X would have been a smart move, I think... Although it would have probably pissed some existing owners off.

Most likely I'll just grab one at a Black Friday sale.

My PS4 Pro is always pretty quiet. My slim on the other hand, although very quiet, makes this strange clicking sound when idle...

Last edited:
My ps4 pro is also whisper quiet except for 1 game : Mafia 3.

Somehow during all cutscenes the fan starts blowing like crazy and makes a lot of noise.
As soon as the cutscene is over it stops again.

Well, I've officially gone PRO. It's sitting on the table while I watch Sevilla - Liverpool. Then it's time to move my stuff from the old one.

Yeah and it is REALLY loud now .... But only when it is turned on, so...

Nah mate, I enjoy footy but I don't get worked up over it.

Yeah and it is REALLY loud now .... But only when it is turned on, so...

Nah mate, I enjoy footy but I don't get worked up over it.
Neither do I but I did last night - how many times do Liverpool have to concede silly goals before they make a drastic change to their defending...

OT, sorry!

Neither do I but I did last night - how many times do Liverpool have to concede silly goals before they make a drastic change to their defending...

OT, sorry!

I would be incredibly annoyed.. They have not improved their defence at.

People talk about buying a CB, but their weakest defender by a long way is Moreno, I think he looks a complete load of shite and I watch L2 football.. I would be extremely annoyed if Exeter signed him, so how he gets anywhere near a Prem club is unbelievable.

After struggling a bit with the settings at first I think I am getting things right. Fifa 18 and Hitman look utterly mental, so does Witcher 3 but that's one crashed early on, which is a bit worrying.

Starting to think that for all the exclusives coming out I need to upgrade my regular PS4 to the Pro version else I'll start to feel I'm missing out, think that's the case? For those of you that's gone from standard to Pro does it make it worth it? I'm not fussed about 4k resolution rather I want to see increased graphical detail and draw distance which I believe some games now give you those kinds of options?

Starting to think that for all the exclusives coming out I need to upgrade my regular PS4 to the Pro version else I'll start to feel I'm missing out, think that's the case? For those of you that's gone from standard to Pro does it make it worth it? I'm not fussed about 4k resolution rather I want to see increased graphical detail and draw distance which I believe some games now give you those kinds of options?

I went from normal to PRO and must admit, the differences are absolute minimal.
FIFA 18 went from going PC Medium to PC High - Not Ultra.
Last of Us looked slightly better, but I think it was more me wanting to see stuff than what I actually saw - My brother when I took my PRO back for him to see, said it looked identical.
But everything else was the same - Don't forget nothing is actually proper 4K and fake 4K.
I played Horizon Zero Dawn on Pro, but never saw it without the PS4 Pro enhancements - Online people say there is a massive difference in quality.

When they introduced boost mode, then Until Dawn became what I would call more playable.
Noting else using Boost Mode, was any different.

Then comes the other issue with the PRO - It is loud, very loud, and also very hot.
It is like putting all your FANS in your PC on 100% constantly.
However if you get a newer revision of the PRO they may well have fixed these issues - I had the original release.

Note this is only MY OPINION and others will probably disagree - But I would say the PRO is *NOT* worth the upgrade.

But like you later in the year, I will definitely be buying a PS4 again due to the amount of exclusives coming. RDR2 and Last of Us 2.

I think getting a Pro depends a bit on if you can get some money for your old one. But if you are coming in fresh, the Pro is absolutely the way to go.

Having said that, I realise that if I were buying an Xbox today I would get the S version, because I know the Ps4 will continue being my preferred console for a while and I would only get the S to play the few exclusives I am missing out on. But then there is the price difference, a Pro is cheaper than the Xbox X (at least here in Iceland it is considerably cheaper)

So I guess it really depends on how much use you think you'll get out of it.

But I am quite happy with my Pro, even though it is very much the jet engine version.

Has anyone bought a pro in the last couple of months and have they done anything about the cooling? Really can't decide whether to replace our standard with a Pro or not. Maybe wait until black Friday or something? Planning to do a full Ryzen upgrade then so not sure I can do both...

Has anyone bought a pro in the last couple of months and have they done anything about the cooling? Really can't decide whether to replace our standard with a Pro or not. Maybe wait until black Friday or something? Planning to do a full Ryzen upgrade then so not sure I can do both...
A colleague of mine has recently bought a Pro and has the same cooling issues (i.e. certain games practically set it on fire) as mine.

I've opened mine up expecting to find clumps of dust, but there's nothing - they just get terrifyingly hot/loud at the drop of a hat. I literally have to wear headphones when playing certain games, e.g. No Man's Sky, A) so I can hear the game and B) so I can stop listening to the fans and thinking to myself "oh my God I should just turn it off, it's going to explode"... I genuinely feel nervous playing certain games on it...

Hmm that is disconcerting as I'm far from a dusting/hoovering obsessive and with two dogs there's lots of hair/dust around to be completely honest, maybe I need to stick with the normal one for now and wait for the next super powerful water cooled one!

Hmm that is disconcerting as I'm far from a dusting/hoovering obsessive and with two dogs there's lots of hair/dust around to be completely honest, maybe I need to stick with the normal one for now and wait for the next super powerful water cooled one!
As I say, I opened mine up expecting to find a cushion's-stuffing-worth of fluff, with the console being airplane-engine loud - but it was clean as a whistle. Vacuumed it all out anyway and it made zero difference.

The thing that makes it go bananas, weirdly, is the cut-scene element of FIFA - when you're in contract talks with a player/agent, within 30 seconds the fans are on full-blast (which makes it loud enough to hear from any room in an average house - or indeed from outside the house)...

But this is standard:

As I say, I opened mine up expecting to find a cushion's-stuffing-worth of fluff, with the console being airplane-engine loud - but it was clean as a whistle. Vacuumed it all out anyway and it made zero difference.

The thing that makes it go bananas, weirdly, is the cut-scene element of FIFA - when you're in contract talks with a player/agent, within 30 seconds the fans are on full-blast (which makes it loud enough to hear from any room in an average house - or indeed from outside the house)...

But this is standard:

I don't remember mine sounding like that, but do remember having to turn the TV constantly to combat the noise.

It the loudest console I ever owned and is a massive put off when gaming, but I would of thought by now Sony would of released a few different revisions of the console to fix it.

If I still had a PS4 Pro now I would seriously consider taking it apart and replacing all the thermal paste with better quality paste. On PC a decent Thermal Paste can knock 10-15c of the temperature, so that might be enough to stop the fan spinning up so loud.

If I still had a PS4 Pro now I would seriously consider taking it apart and replacing all the thermal paste with better quality paste. On PC a decent Thermal Paste can knock 10-15c of the temperature, so that might be enough to stop the fan spinning up so loud.
I was (and am) tempted, but I 100% don't trust myself not to break it - and it's a lot of money to throw away just because of the fact that I can't have a civilised conversation while it's powered on.

The old 360s were noisy as hell but the Pro is definitely the noisiest console I've ever had - the best result I've had with it is taking the casing off and leaving the fan exposed, but even then the fans kick into overdrive - just not as much (maybe 75% as opposed to 100%).

Obviously excuse the source, but just read an interesting comment from 8 months ago:

Just to make it clear. It looks like PS4PRO are yet again having two different fan manufacturers:

• Delta (jet engine)

• Nidec (deadly silent)

&

it's about the number of holes near the middle of the fan, less holes= Nidec, much more holes it's Delta

PEgxByK.jpg

Back
Top Bottom