Sony PlayStation 4 PRO

Yeah, PS4 pro is getting better. Finally some next gen consoles. Hopefully devs take the advantage of these new hardwares and not just make Ps3 ish games with increased texture resolution (That ais almost all the games)

A kind soul over on NeoGAF has put together a list of everyone's Boost Mode testing experiences with different titles, check it out: NeoGAF

A kind soul over on NeoGAF has put together a list of everyone's Boost Mode testing experiences with different titles, check it out: NeoGAF

I see Until Dawn is on the list, might have to give it a go when the update is available to everyone.

Still believe the update should of been available on Day 1 though rather than having to wait 3 months for an actual reason to own a PRO.

I see Until Dawn is on the list, might have to give it a go when the update is available to everyone.
There's a 60fps video of it too - seems better most of the time but there's still dips, I think.

Looking forward to trying it though - that and Project Cars.

Bit sad to see some (independent) devs are getting lots of tweets about Boost Mode not working well with their game (Soma for example), asking for a fix. It's not supposed to be a "supported" mode... (I hope any fix they issue is just a Pro patch that blocks Boost Mode from being used, so demanding.)

Last edited:
There's a 60fps video of it too - seems better most of the time but there's still dips, I think.

Looking forward to trying it though - that and Project Cars.

Bit sad to see some (independent) devs are getting lots of tweets about Boost Mode not working well with their game (Soma for example), asking for a fix. It's not supposed to be a "supported" mode... (I hope the fix they issue is just a Pro patch that blocks Boost Mode from being used, so ungrateful.)

I think the boost mode has probably been implemented due to the lack of developers who have actually patched their games since launch.

I don't know why people are moaning about it not working on certain games, but I expected the Boost Mode to be very hit and miss.
I do really like the fact though it is being implemented, as it is this very reason of a smoother gameplay experience why I bought the PRO is the first place and thus far being very disappointed in the PRO.

Gamespot are reporting that Boost Mode's inclusion in the next firmware update is "still under consideration". SOURCE: Gamespot

Don't tease us like this, Sony.

I get the feeling under testing the feature has got a lot of bug reports, so instead of having loads of people moaning all over the place it doesn't work correctly.. Sony have decided it best to just not release until it is more stable.

I was moving away from getting a Pro because of the HDD addition to all PS4s (as it would remove one of my reasons to upgrade my 500GB PS4) but this Boost thing kind of has me excited for the idea again.... they better not remove it, so what if it doesn't work on a few games, if you are able to turn it on for a game you should be able to turn it off again - so no no problem!

Anyone here wants to try the 4.50 beta for boost mode you can PM me. I've been giving out burner accounts on neogaf for a few days.

EDIT: A couple DF boost mode videos.

Boost mode is a crafty wee marketing feature that'll get a lot of OG Ps4 users, who were maybe on the fence, to pick up a ps4 Pro. It's here to stay.;))

Finally got round last night to trying the Boost Mode out on Until Dawn, so I played the opening part of the game with Boost mode disabled and enabled.

With Boost mode enabled the game certainly ran alot smoother, not PC smooth but the game was certainly alot smoother and there was definetely an FPS improvment, the game was generally smooth throughout and only a very few noticable slow downs compared the slow down issues that were experienced without Boost Mode.

Obviously a massive plus, however there is a massive however my PS4 Pro during boost mode decided to turn itself into what is only best described as a very heated Jet engine. The PS4 Pro became very loud and could clearly hear it over the TV, I know the PS4 Pro is far from the quietist console anyway but with Boost mode enabled it the fans really revved up and the noise was pretty annoying.

I did not try any other games in Boost Mode, but then in the games I own it is only Until Dawn which I would class as having very noticable - terrible at times frame rates.

I know the PS4 Pro is far from the quietist console anyway but with Boost mode enabled it the fans really revved up and the noise was pretty annoying.
You're lucky! My Pro switches up to maximum fan speed within 30 minutes of being switched on. It's in an open unit (no front/back) too, so A) it should be getting plenty of air, B) there are genuinely times when I can't hear the sound from the wall-mounted, "proper" speakers because of it.

I've had some noisy consoles but this one is definitely the loudest, and I don't really know what to do about it (it's been like that since day one and I'm concerned that putting it in a closed unit will make it blow up)...

I did not try any other games in Boost Mode, but then in the games I own it is only Until Dawn which I would class as having very noticable - terrible at times frame rates.
In my collection, Project Cars was always the one that I couldn't play due to the frame-rate and screen tear. Boost Mode seems to have all-but cured it, thankfully (when there's 8+ cars and it's raining, it can dip occasionally, but that's the only instance). Really happy with it.

Mine sounds like a Jet Engine within 10 minutes of playing FIFA 17! likewise its out in the open plenty of ventilation.... I also have it on the Official Piece of Plastic Shit Stand too!

Need to get an hdd for this.

...I found a nice 3TB disk that will do nicely but then again, it costs about 1/3 of a Pro... I'm going to have to think about this a bit.

Last edited:
Anyone advise on this been offered a pro currently I have a ps4 with a 4k tv. The upgrade will cost be about 100 quid..is it worth it ?

Anyone advise on this been offered a pro currently I have a ps4 with a 4k tv. The upgrade will cost be about 100 quid..is it worth it ?

If the games have been patched and upgraded for PRO, then there is a difference in quality.

FIFA looks better on the PRO, with better textures and slightly better player models.
Dawn Horizon looks better on PRO than normal PS4 and with boost mode some older games work better - Until Dawn is actually playable on the PRO.

For £100 the upgrade is probably worth it IMO, just don't expect it to blow you away.

However it isn't anywhere near the power of the new Xbox.

So managed to pick up a secoind hand pro - still in box with COD WW11 and a command and conquer game for 250 - traded games in for 50 cash at CEX so 200 for the pro. My PS4 is now for sale and will go around the 100 mark. I thought FIFA 18 was noticeably different once i set my TV up right. Looks really good. I know the XBOX is more powerful but there aren't any exclusives that interest me, im maninly a FIFA player and the only difference is a bit extra draw distance for grass which is worth an extra 200 quid for me. PS5 will be my next upgrade i think my little lad will be ready for that when he's 4-5 depending on release date :) all good

Yea, don't see the point in picking up the X1X, other than to "keep up with the Joneses", I suppose. A Pro + a good PC seems to be the sweet spot.

I might get one of these soon. The Witcher 3 upgrade may have pushed me over the edge.

This will be me when I next see it in the store
giphy.gif

I've just picked a copy of horizon dawn up off ebay..it looks incredible on the pro and on top of that the story is awesome , only an hour in and it's one of the best games I've played in 30 years

Back
Top Bottom