Sony PlayStation 3

Re: Sony PlayStation 3 & 4

Personally I just plug the dualshock in my laptop that's next to me to charge while I continue playing on the PS3 while it charges. I do the same with the 360 controller as well.

I have charging docks for my 360 and PS3 controllers connected by USB to my 360, since the PS3 doesn't charge anything connecting to it when in standby mode.

Wasn't too happy about the 7-8 hour battery life of the DualShock4 either. Wow. Coming from 30 hours of the DualShock3.

That's disappointing. When fully charged my 5 year old DS3 seems to last forever. Maybe/hopefully the light bar (or something else that's not important) can be turned off to save energy...

Last edited:

PS4 review:

http://www.polygon.com/a/ps4-review/

Was certainly expecting more than a 7.5/10 really.

Ouch! Doesnt read great - though I agree that its hard to 'review' a console because at the end of the day, its mainly about games. Sure, the UI, features, speed, controllers etc all matter and to that end, it doesnt sound great.

Maybe a lot of the stuff can be fixed with software updates.

I'm feeling pretty vindicated though as a lot of the stuff they mention were the reasons pushing me to the XB1.

Knew this would be the case...

Polygon said:
...However, dreams of universal access to PS4 content from anywhere via the Vita will have to wait, as even locally, Remote Play suffers from issues similar to those encountered by Wii U users...

Can still see it being a gimmick unfortunately. Until the VITA is bundled free with the PS4 or something, cant see the devs taking the effort to maximise its use.

Last edited:

Knew this would be the case...

Can still see it being a gimmick unfortunately. Until the VITA is bundled free with the PS4 or something, cant see the devs taking the effort to maximise its use.

Is the problem being described anything to do with devs though? Sounds like (literally going by that line you quoted as I'm not planning to use it so don't care either way) it's connectivity issues, which would be up to Sony to resolve. It's in their interests to do so as it's aimed at selling more Vitas - plus of course second screen tech is going to be ubiquitous this year, so I imagine local connectivity (at least) will be sorted out sooner rather than later.

Zero interest in a Vita personally so not fussed about those issues, something on battery life of the DS4 would be something I hope they focus on, at the very least an option to disable the light which surely contributes to the battery drain.

Would be interested to know if more sites have given their own battery life figures? Just to confirm it's not because the site who gave the 8 hour figure didn't undercharge the battery first time around, buggering it up for future charges.

Ouch! Doesnt read great - though I agree that its hard to 'review' a console because at the end of the day, its mainly about games. Sure, the UI, features, speed, controllers etc all matter and to that end, it doesnt sound great.

Maybe a lot of the stuff can be fixed with software updates.

I'm feeling pretty vindicated though as a lot of the stuff they mention were the reasons pushing me to the XB1.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that review or any other reviews of both gaming consoles at this stage of the game. Way to early for reviews.

Zero interest in a Vita personally so not fussed about those issues, something on battery life of the DS4 would be something I hope they focus on, at the very least an option to disable the light which surely contributes to the battery drain.

And to not have a stupid blue reflection on my tv screen. Ill end up taping it over if there is no handy click-on cover for it.

Yep I'll be doing that as well even though it probably won't be an issue for my projector screen as I play in the dark I don't need the room glowing blue/red!

I've not seen one report of the light glaring onto the tv.

Oh it happens, I can confirm that, although I'm sure it depends on your tv. I've a 50" plasma that does have a reflective screen, which isn't a problem usually because it's in a light controlled room.

During gameplay it's not an issue, but in game over screens and when the screen is particularly dark, you can often see the ds4 light. It's only a minor annoyance but after several hours I really wished for an option to turn the darn thing off.

If you have a matte screen it shouldn't be an issue at all.

They'll probably add an option to dim the light at some point. Not likely high on their priority list, though.

I'm just surprised they didn't make it possible to turn it off. It's only a minor annoyance, but still.

Takes a surprisingly long time to connect but looks great when it does. Excited.

The problem is that you need a very good internet connection both for where the PS4 is and for where the Vita is.

Back
Top Bottom