Russia to host World Cup 2018

I don't see the fuss that people have against Qatar and Russia? World Cup hosts are generally countries that have a booming football league or need it most for economic development. It involves infrastructure, costs, profit and exposure. USA, South Korea/Japan, South Africa... and now Russia. Russia gets regular coverage in many European countries these days....

Qatar and Russia have a lot of investment right now, and in about 10-18 years they will have strong development and funding. It will also be the first middle eastern WC.

Gotta give new guys a chance! :)

Last edited:
:LOL:
7GJd

Cheers!!! Wow ... Wow ...:WOOT: For the first time Russia Takes World Cup! I simply have no words! I hope this World Cup will be one of the best in history. Had hoped, but did not expect that we will be able to circumvent the application of such countries as Spain and Portugal, the Netherlands and Belgium, and England, in short there are no words. This will be the greatest holiday for all Russian football!:DANCE::DANCE::DANCE:

Also, I congratulate Qatar with obtaining the right to take the World Cup in 2022, it will be a great leap forward in the development of football in Qatar!;)

Last edited:
Oh God! Russia and Qatar for God sake! I can understand why FIFA chose Russia (although I think Spain-Portugal or England would be better for different reasons) but Qatar?! A country smaller than Galicia with less than 1 million habitants. Oh bloody petrodollars!

Shit decision

I wonder if last night made any difference to our bid

By the way, what happened?

I think you need to look at the wider picture. The WC in South Africa was seen as a victory for Africa rather than just South Africa. I think Qatar will have a similar impact to that region.

Congrats to both Russia and Qatar, personally I think Spain/Portugal or England would have been better choices but can see why they chose those two.

Oh God! Russia and Qatar for God sake! I can understand why FIFA chose Russia (although I think Spain-Portugal or England would be better for different reasons) but Qatar?! A country smaller than Galicia with less than 1 million habitants. Oh bloody petrodollars!

By the way, what happened?

They don't deal with petrol much, they're more about natural gas.

Also, they're going to make some serious developments. They're already in a booming state and its good they're very ambitious like that.

Congrats to both Russia and Qatar. I hope both be up to high standards.

Tbh I'm happy because their timezone is the same as mine :LOL: Still have to worry about Brazil though, watching games in the A.M. :CONF:

Congrats to Qatar and Russia.

Did anyone watch the presentation of the Qatar project? It seems very interesting. They had a lot fo well know foreign figures like Guardiola, Batistuta, and Ronald de Boer representing the project. The location is kinda optimal, the size is small but it could be great for the players and fans since transportation will be easy and you can watch two games at the same day if you visit, and the cooling systems in the stadiums are revoloutionary. I am also happy about the time zone thing. Australia and USA would have been hard, especially since Brazil is in 2014.

Arshavin looked really stupid at the conference though. :LOL:

Last edited:
Be glad that you don't have to deal with those corrupt FIFA bosses.
I was professionally involved in the low countries bid (community part of the bid) and i can assure that generally speaking it's better not to have the WC in your land.

It makes sense that this WC will go to Russia: large market and no democratic control...

Congratulation for Russia, i think it's good for this country, but still bad to don't see the WC in a country like Netherlands, but Qatar for 2022 it's a joke, the WC of the Money, i prefer see in Australia.

What have all the following countries got in common?

Slovenia, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Northern Ireland, UAE, Kuwait, Honduras, Iraq, Wales, El Salvador, New Zealand, Israel, Haiti, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Peru, Morocco, Senegal, Angola, Togo, China, Canada, India, Zaire/CongoDR, Cuba* and Dutch East Indies/Indonesia*

Answer: all have made it to the World Cup, it's not that hard yet Qatar have never even come close.

Personally I would have preferred the first Arabian World Cup to have been in Egypt, or say if it's termed the Middle Eastern World Cup to have been in Emirates or Iran (I know technically Iran is, to some people, on the edge of the Middle East, maybe West Asia is a better description).

I really think now FIFA should say you need to have qualified for the World Cup to bid on it from 2026 on.

I am happy for Russia though, given the size and quality of football there for it not to have hosted a World Cup or proper European Championship was a fact that needed to change.

I agree with Gerd though, the host countries do come under a huge amount of political pressure to "serve the fifa family".

to many britons in these forums so obviously very biased opinions in this thread, i'm as a neutral party can say that it's refreshing to have world cup in russia & qatar

It's an absolute joke of a decision. Russia less so because I like Russia a lot and 'ordinary' Russians and they do have a footballing history and clubs like Spartak ,CSKA with history.

But who will benefit ? They have very low crowds in their Premier League and a history of ongoing crowd violence and racism.

It should not be imperative upon a government to revitalize a nation by taking on a major sporting competition. That should be the first obligation of any government to improve the lot of it's people not wait around for something like this to come around and then improve infrastructure.

What will happen is these stadia will become for the most part white elephants as they have done in South Africa .Too large for the local team. Where is the legacy there ?

South Africa is out of pocket by three billion pounds and did any of the locals benefit ?

It's just an oppurtunity for the rich oligarchs to benefit. They own the companies that will build the infrastructure. These same oligarchs who think nothing of spending thousands on a meal while many Russians in towns across the state struggle to feed themselves.

Will these 'ordinary' Russians be able to afford to go to the games ?

These same oligarchs who were lampooned by true great Russian such as Bulgakov in literature and Shostakovich in music.

A World Cup to boost the massage the ego's of a very very tiny wealthy elite. A bit like who ?

Those billions could be better spent on infrastructure across Russia and indeed other Russian sport's which have lost a lot of their funding and also world class coaches who have gone abroad to bring them back to Russia.

Qatar ? They may build air conditioned stadia. How is this environmentally friendly ? It could be that they are solar powered I suppose. However in such a piddling little country ruled by autocrats where will fans go and be put up ?

Meanwhile Australia which has a genuine basis for this legacy nonsense gets ignored. India and China should have been considered for the World Cup even if they strangely had not made a bid.

They have the means and the infrastructure and a genuine case as well to create a legacy as well as already burgeoning footballing 'markets' and millions of kids who love the game.

Qatar ? How an earth does this create a legacy ?

As I said before FIFA worships mammon. FIFA is about one thing only mammon. I have my suspicions that certain bank accounts secret of course have been lined by the oligarchs and oil sheikhs.

Bloater aside from declaring China invented football..... :P (stupid ****) told the FIFA committee 'beware of the press' a reference to the British media no doubt.

Who the hell is he and FIFA to dictate to sovereign governments ? His own election is marred by corruption allegations and buying votes.

None of the results and who voted for what will be made public unlike say for the IOC. Very open and transparent and democratic indeed. No wonder FIFA will feel right at home in Russia and Qatar where journalists disappear or get incarcerated for exposing shady and nefarious practices.

Funnily enough for a supposed closed ballot though the news that we had failed in the first round was circulated long before the result.

This is a deliberate message from FIFA . In short don't you dare cross us or investigate our practices because otherwise this is what will happen ie you'll not have a cat's hell in chance of winning a WC bid.

I sincerely hope our press go deep and fully investigate this bidding process and what happened and what money changed hands and not to rest until every stone is turned.

Our bid was excellent in every respect. These decisions have nothing to do with football whatsoever.

Russia and Qatar's bid were rated the worst by FIFA's own technical committee in terms of infrastructure, in terms of logistics yet they win ????

How easy will it be for fans to attend these games ? We all saw the half empty stadia in South Africa for the pinnacle of association football partly because local's were priced out and secondly even people from Europe could not afford to go.

And just to remind how pathetic FIFA are ,local people selling drinks near grounds or merchandise to earn just a little more on their tiny incomes were unceremoniously removed or had their wares confiscated , because official sponsors would not tolerate this.

The FA do so much to help the game around the globe by sending millions in money to fledgling unions, sending coaches abroad, creating refereeing clinics , sending equipment and working in deprived parts of the world.

What do we get ? A kick in the teeth from these corrupt shysters.

Why can't individual associations do their own thing ? Why is it associations have to wait upon the say so of an incompetent fool to introduce for example goal line technology ? This despite the farce in this WC where a goal that billions could see had crossed the line was not given.

What does this mean for 2030 ? I just guess Argentina and Uruguay had better make sure they have millions ready to hand to put into some anonymous Swiss bank accounts.

Real football passion and history count for nothing. Forget having three of the greatest players in the history of the game di Stefano, Diego and Messi possibly and fanatical fans who generate an atmosphere unbeatable around the world it's all about money and dodgy deals.

FIFA Fair Play. Respect.......

http://www.playthegame.org/news/det...xecutives-named-as-isl-bribe-takers-5059.html

Excellent post Albi, sums up what FIFA really is. I'm ashamed of what they are doing in Brazil: Using public resources, breaking the laws in many ways (and endorsed by the government at that). Just recently it was leaked that Teixeira (CBF president) may take ALL profit from the WC for himself.

PS. Didn't know Mandelbrot had died! RIP.

Prepare your turbans we are going to Qatar... Can we paint turbans to our national colors without getting punished???? :JAY:

The choice for a host country has nothing whatsoever to do with football tradition, popularity of football or fair-play.
It's all about money.
I can't say this professionally, but i'm quite happy that the Belgian-Dutch bid did not make it. The things FIFA asks from an organizing country are totally insane.
During the tournament all expenses for FIFA personel are totally tax free.
In a radius of 2km's from an official WC spot (stadiums, but also other places that are involved like for example the hotels of the teams) only publicity for official sponsors is allowed.
FIFA can request temporary monopoly for the use of highways.
FIFA can request special laws from the organizing country. FIFA also has some sort of veto for laws that can have a relation with the WC

Can you imagine things like that in countries like the UK, Spain, Portugal, Holland or Belgium...i frankly can't. As a football fan my heart bleeds that the WC is not coming to Belgium. As a citizen i'm delighted.

Who cares where the fucking World Cup ends up?

In the end all that really matters is the quality of the football on show. If it ends up in my back garden but the footballing quality is top notch and entertaining than it will be great.

Look what happened to South Africa. Beautiful stadiums such as Soccer City, Cape Town, Durban, wonderful atmosphere, no problems in terms of crime or transport yet the footballing quality was absolutely shocking for the most part.

The legacy of the World Cups in Russia and Qatar will be, in the fans view, about the quality of the football on show. I have no worries about the infrastructure and development in either Russia or Qatar. Im sure they will build some great stadiums and transport systems to support the tournament (especially in Qatar. Were all familiar with what the Middle East can produce in terms of national development with the economic backing these Gulf states have).

Oh and its obvious that the bid decision for England was affected by the latest episode of Panorama. Whatever happened to Jack Warners' CONCACAF 3 block votes?

The whole presentation today was just a combination of a huge scandal and a ridiculous behaviour showing the weakness of the FIFA nowadays. Giving these two world cups, still the most important trophy for national teams and maybe the biggest sports event on this planet to these two countries is nothing else but a big bad joke.

The first land is known for giving a shit about humanity and human rights, is corrupt even in the highest positions and isn't even close of being a state to look on. The second land has a history of football as full and detailed as the Vatican's edition of the Playboy and did just get this cup because a lot of money flew down the river to Mafioso Blatter and his old, corrupt and incompetent "friends"(they really are friends as they benefit from each others crimes and darker businesses)...

I think we all had some bad thoughts, too as South Africa was selected as host for the 2010 WC, BUT the large difference was and is in first place that South Africa displayed not only itself, but the whole continent and secondly that this continent loves football. You may call Russians football-freaks(I won't, they are not footballer nation in my mind, used to have some world-class players then and now, but weren't a top team over larger periods of time), but to connect Qatar and football is like linking Barca/Real/Manu/Boca/Bayern/any other world class club and unknown. And the Arabian peninsula is neither known for brilliant footballers nor for a great fan base for football there and I honestly don't think this will change with this cup. The people in South Africa love football, Africa in total loves football, the WC was their chance to show this to the world and the did it in a great way. I doubt the Arabian states will show the same motivation and fun about this event.

The FIFA should really start thinking about a deeper cleaning of the leading positions, because if they go on with decisions like the meeting today they will bring more damage to our beloved football then they could ever had thought of. And I did not even talk about the already existing and good working infrastructure the other participants could present.

Last edited:
Very good post ALBICELESTE2010.
Truely, this is again showing that the MAJOR non-working thing in football is FIFA and especially Sepp Blatter.
Blatter, just go fuck yourself.
I read here and other places that 2010 WC was a succes.
I don't agree.
South Africa has been perfect. Nothing to say.
But we can see today that FIFA is not capable anymore of organize a real football world cup.
Damn, men this is World Cup, this is not Europa League Final (really, I have nothing against Europa League, but here you see ...)
And shall I remind you how it will be impossible for Russia to build better stadiums, hotels, airports, high-ways (I have nothing against Russia again, but it is too early to give WC to Russia imo).
I can bet today that 2018 will be a catastrophy, in too old stadiums and so on, and that 2022 will stinck the money (it is how we say in France, i don't know how to say it in english).
Blatter, really you know, you should just retire because you take football down. Really. And you don't even see it.

And to me, image of football is Wembley, Stamford Bridge, Emirates Stadium, Anfield, Bernabeu, Nou Camp, San Siro, Allianz Arena, Monumental, Maracana, Da Luz, ...... and not Luzhniki Stadium or Khalifa Int'l Stadium (sorry for both again)

Last edited:
Some people are such narrow minded fools.

So basically what your saying is that the World Cup should only take place in countries where there is a footballing heritage. So that would be European countries and a few South American countries.

If we stick to this backward ideology then countries such as Japan, South Korea, South Africa, the United States etc would never have had the chance to host a World Cup.

The whole point is to help develop a footballing heritage and legacy in countries that don't yet have it as it will increase the popularity and passion of the sport in the country and the surrounding areas and in turn make football a truly global sport.

Yes England would have hosted a fantastic World Cup in 2018 and its a shame it didn't win but the World Cup should never be exclusive to just the countries that have had a deep history within the sport. How on Earth do you expect for football to bloom in areas like Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Oceania and North America if their not given the opportunity to host one of the biggest sporting tournaments in the world?

And the Arabian peninsula is neither known for brilliant footballers nor for a great fan base for football there and I honestly don't think this will change with this cup.

You are so very wrong there. You have the slightest idea what football is to the Arab world. I live in the UAE and I know what I'm talking about. Go to the schools, streets, and parks and you'll find football played everywhere and anywhere. People in the Middle-east are just as passionate about football. Hell I even think they take their passion to the extreme at times. We used to play football with anything back in the day, pepsi cans, tennis balls, stones, you name it.

I agree with most of what Albi said, corruption and that, and I do worry about the future of all the newly built stadiums, but from a football fan's view having the biggest football tournament/festival in the world held in the Middle-east is just amazing. People here always dreamt of it, but it was only that, a very far fetched, if not impossible, dream. Now that the dream has come true, regardless how (I'm not saying money doesn't talk but open your eyes and look around you, it's everywhere, and it's disgusting), it is absolutely crazy for people here to believe. Hell, the decision was announced nearly 5 hours ago yet the people are still in the streets celebrating til this very moment.

Thinking of it now, I'm quite happy I get the option to drive to a World Cup hosting country to watch a World Cup game live, and not forced to break the bank for plane ticket plus hotel and other expenses etc.

Prepare your turbans we are going to Qatar... Can we paint turbans to our national colors without getting punished???? :JAY:

You can try it but you'd make a fool of yourself.

Hint: People of the Arabian Gulf, and most Arab countries, don't wear turbans ;)

Last edited:
We (England) have had it once, let some other cunt have a go..

apparently the qatar WC will have to be played in spring or autumn because of the temp, that would cause trouble with the european club season.

All will be good with stadiums 100%, The reason why now isn't present good stadiums it is corruption. Russian clubs are very rich, but even they can't this too sweet place for theft of money will agree with the authorities of big cities about building. But now when the president will tell to us it is necessary to construct them, they can be constructed and by 2013. Money not a problem.

I think you're missing the point a bit there and being very defensive to boot. Most people would have been happy to have seen it won by Australia or Japan or like Albi suggested a Chinese or Indian bid would have been good too. It's not a case of them having no history so they shouldn't be allowed hold it, clearly not as Russia has plenty in the form of the USSR doing well at numerous WC's and winning the Euros in 1960.

It stinks of corruption and I'm surprised you can't acknowledge that, Albi's post perfectly reasonably explains why.

Back
Top Bottom