Russia to host World Cup 2018

Russia? Can kinda see that. But Qatar?!

DollarRallyGSBB2010.jpg

Interesting you chose that for Qatar and dismissed Russia.

Yes they have footballing history (or at least, the USSR did), but it's an absolute guarentee that they will have bought all the votes. Clearly Russia had more money to throw at the bastards that run FIFA than us or Spain/Portugal did.

Why not,Qatar is a country in this world just like Russia,Sweden,Germany or any other..,i am happy for them,and Congratulations to Russia,no visa problem,so i will be there on world cup hope with Turkey N.T:)

Last edited:
It`s going to be interesting to see the confed. cup when it turns up. Russia n Qatar are both high temperature places in the summer.

I remember WC`94 in Orlando weather was extremely HOT!...at least u had wet n wild to cool down and had attractions on International Drive (I-Drive)everywhere. The WC has made great impact in the US so I feel Wussia n Qatar will only benefit from it. I`m excited for Russia and you just know Qatar will have the best firework show ever! Well done to both virgin Countries. :BOP:

Interestingly that you focused on one single fact of my post. Maybe I did overdraw the image to make it look more dramatical, but you can talk to anyone in the world, no one will bring the interest of the people there in football at the same level as it is seen for South America, Africa and most parts of Europe. I guess(and I noticed this in a variety of different countries I already visited in my young life) it is pretty normal to play football with everything lying around and being kinda round. Football is probably the only language, most people on our planet do understand. But to interpret the interest of these countries in playing as a "passion" is not quite right in my point of view. They like it, but they wouldn't give up everything to live this game.

And again, if there are so many passionate players, what's wrong with your teams then? Excluding Saudi-Arabia's more or (mostly) less successful participations in some of the last WCs and (looking at the area in a greater radius) Iran some years ago, there is nothing as professional or as good as some other teams are. If there wouldn't be a non-scoring striker now or then the rest of the world would nearly never hear anything about matches there.

Of course it is important to help these countries to develop themselves in the area of football, but directly giving them a whole World Cup is a farce. I guess the best solution would be to allow some more teams for a world cup(8) and give these free starting places to smaller countries. The very negative side of this would be that these teams would have absolutely no chance at the WC. And I think this will happen to Qatar in 2022, too.

Just building some new and modern stadiums doesn't make a state a modern football nation.

@turban discussion: Just for my information as I really don't know about this: Are women in this region allowed to wear "normal clothes" or do they have to hide their beauty, too? No offence to someone, just want to know this.

Prepare your turbans we are going to Qatar... Can we paint turbans to our national colors without getting punished???? :JAY:

at least no vuvuzelas :D

congrats to Russia...

hope Qatar will buy enough foreign players for their national team untill then...

I personally have no problems with Russia hosting the World Cup because new places deserve to host the World Cup every so often and Russia has had a great history in football on the international scene. They also have great club teams and players represented in top clubs.

My only concern is Qatar. I'm not saying that the fans aren't crazy about soccer (I think the unknowns and rumours of that region does get people wondering..)but I just feel that they should at least have had some representation in the WC before or on the international stage. The only thing we hear from that region (in relation to football) is how they spend crazy amounts to hire old retired players to their leagues...

Now there are no doubts that both countries should be able to build great infrastructure for the tournament and be great hosts, but I just feel like instead of actually playing to qualify for the WC, many regions can just splash cash and host it so that their team can be in the WC

1345121_FULL-LND.jpg

Qatar is the best to host the 2022 World Cup ...
This is the time for the Middle East to host the World Cup ..
And you will see the progress of Qatar, more than any other country
Congratulations to Russia and Qatar
And I hope to be an excellent World Cup in Qatar
I hope that see Egypt in Qatar 2022

Last edited:
you stupid,God will already punish you by making fan with such a things,do not worry

:OOOH: no! I am cursed cause i say SUCH bad thing ... :COAT:

Anyways back to topic... Yeh Qatar is not a good place to host, might be the lowest wc attendance in history me thinks? Think about the restrictions this country have and the dress code.. :FAIL: Sepp

You are talking a lot on that Qatar did not deserve to host the World Cup
Why do you have a bad reflection on qatar?
But please do not talk a lot ... And waited ... What you will be doing Qatar
And you will see the best World Cup in Qatar ..

Hey Mates .. U 'll See Qatar 'll Do More Than Russia Qatar Is Very Importatnt And Good ... Qatar 'll Be One Of The Best Countries Which had Recived World Cup ...

to many britons in these forums so obviously very biased opinions in this thread, i'm as a neutral party can say that it's refreshing to have world cup in russia & qatar
Wrong, it is just the English who are complaining. Do not confuse British and English as they do not mean the same.

I am Welsh/Scottish (50% of each, I never class myself as British because of the overseas' people's misconception) and I am glad they did not win the bid. Not just would we not hear the end of it (1966 mentions are bad enough), but the way in which the media (especially the BBC) were protraying that it was a "UK bid" and that it would "benefit all of the UK" was disrespectful to Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish people, whose teams are totally independent to the English and to one another, and would have to qualify for said tournament anyway. Seeing those English people awaiting the bid news waving UNION JACKS was really daft, don't you guys know your flag for godsakes? White with a red cross, no?

Besides, the English have already hosted the World Cup, in, *ahem* 1966, so it is about time another nation hosted it. Congratulations to Russia and Qatar, nice to see other nations given the chance.

*Apologies to any sane English people on here, just that the media riled me a wee bit and some quarters of your support need a reality check, and a geography lesson!

Last edited:
You are so very wrong there. You have the slightest idea what football is to the Arab world. I live in the UAE and I know what I'm talking about. Go to the schools, streets, and parks and you'll find football played everywhere and anywhere. People in the Middle-east are just as passionate about football. Hell I even think they take their passion to the extreme at times. We used to play football with anything back in the day, pepsi cans, tennis balls, stones, you name it.

Yah I don't think he knows what he's talking about in regards to popularity of Football in Middle East.

I'm from there too. Though not from an Arab country but Iran. And it's absolutely CRAZY! ALL everyone ever talks about is Football and it's not just my country. I know it's the same for our neighbors except Pakistan who loves cricket.

The popularity of Footy here is like popularity of footy in England. Difference is, people have other problems here and there's been political/regime conflicts, etc. Otherwise the sport itself is as popular as it can possibly get!

So basically what your saying is that the World Cup should only take place in countries where there is a footballing heritage. So that would be European countries and a few South American countries.

Well, let's be honest, if a country has not qualified, or come close to qualification for a world cup then it has almost zero footballing pedigree or ability. There can be some exceptions, such as when a big country breaks into smaller ones (USSR -> Ukraine before 2006 WC, or Czechoslovakia -> Slovakia 2010, Yugoslavia to Bosnia)

Population isn't an issue, countries like Slovenija, Jamaica, Trindad, have all made it. Lack of a football structure isn't an issue either, China, Togo and Angola have weak domestic leagues yet all have made it to WCs (2002, 2006, 2006). Most times Qatar have not even made it to the second round of qualification. Even in the Asian Cup they've only got to one Quarter Finals as their best result. It's not even like Bahrain who have just missed out on two play-offs for a World Cup.

If we stick to this backward ideology then countries such as Japan, South Korea, South Africa, the United States etc would never have had the chance to host a World Cup.

All these countries had qualified for a World Cup before hosting it.

Yah I don't think he knows what he's talking about in regards to popularity of Football in Middle East.

I'm from there too. Though not from an Arab country but Iran. And it's absolutely CRAZY! ALL everyone ever talks about is Football and it's not just my country. I know it's the same for our neighbors except Pakistan who loves cricket.

The popularity of Footy here is like popularity of footy in England. Difference is, people have other problems here and there's been political/regime conflicts, etc. Otherwise the sport itself is as popular as it can possibly get!

I agree the Arabians are heavily interested in soccer. I had the pleasure of going to see games in Egypt and the atmosphere was sensational. Also my friend saw Ireland v Iran in Tehran, again a fantastic vocal following for the Iranians. I just don't think it can be the same in Qatar when they have not ever looked like a footballing force.

It's a pity that the first World Cup in the region couldnt go to one of these countries. I really think if Egypt and Iran had world class stadiums and football infrastructure, given the population sizes, they could really advance the game in those countries.

Yeah that's true. Qatar don't have that football pedigree and are incredibly small compared to countries like Iran.

But the sad thing is, they have the $$$ we don't. So they have better facilities, stadiums and more ambitious regimes. While they're investing in their country as small as it is and continuosly improving, our president is more concerned about the Israel/Pakistan situation and threatening the rest of the world!

A world cup in Iran would be an absolute DREAM but right now that is as far from a possibility as it gets. We don't deserve it and can't get it. These guys will be able to handle it on other hand come 2022, I'm pretty sure.

All in all though, yah I'm not a big fan of Qatar getting the WC.

I do like Russia getting it. The sport is gonna skyrocket there now. Their league is already getting better and better every year, lots of investment, good clubs, rich owners, etc.

Russia might just turn into a monster again thanks to this.

Russia has 9 different time zones and will be a travelling nightmare.

There's also issues with racism, which the Russian FA have done fuck all about whenever it's occured in their club football.

People are defending Qatar hosting the World Cup. I bet those same people would be calling FIFA a joke if Northern Ireland was selected as the host (a small country with only one major city, a small population and no real pedigree but still have actually played in the World Cup before at least).

The funny thing is Northern Ireland would be a really stupid place to host the World Cup because it doesn't have the infrastructure to host it, and is too small a country. Yet in my opinion it'd still be a better choice than Qatar. The only thing Qatar has over Northern Ireland is money, and that is the number 1 reason why they are hosting the World Cup in 2022.

*btw i know Northern Ireland weren't involved in any way, i'm just using them as an example of a small country like Qatar.

Exactly this is the point.

I'd be happy, if you'd have read my whole posts. One thing I can't quite is you saying Qatar isn't a good choice due to its money, but Russia is a good choice, because of their league. The Russian league wouldn't be in their actual condition and position today without the oil industry in their back. And if you honestly think, Russia did not give some money to the FIFA, you might also still believe in Santa.

Billy Boy you are concerned with the quality of football, well some matches will be played in temperatures of about 50° Celsius. I don't think this is ideal to have good football. Russia has 11 time zones (officially 9 because they merged some time zones, but bioryhmically (is that even a word??) that does not make any difference) and teams will have to travel a lot...that is not ideal for football.

The choice was all about money: FIFA choose for the country with the highest amount of natural resources (Russia) and the third highest (Qatar) in the world. I agree that the Middle Easyt deserve a World Cup, but why not pick the obvious choices like Egypt or Iran (obvious: they did not candidate). Qatar has no football tradition whatsoever.

But Qatar has something other, geographically it's position is ideal to sell television rights at peak hours. FIFA don't give a damn about football, it's all about money.

Somebody says that England lost it because of Panorama. That added to the defeat but that was not the main reason. Putin was on the plane to Zurich before Blatter made official that Russia would host the WC. I think Russia and FIFA knew for some weeks who would host the 2018 WC.

And about Panorama: England should be proud that programs like Panorama are possible.

In one thing FIFA has a point: Russia will be the future giant of football. Not necessarily because they have the best players, but because they have money. In 15 years the Russian competition will be the biggest in the World. Teams like Zenith, CSKA, Spartak will dominate the CL like the English and Spanish clubs are doing now. At the moment there are already Abramoviches who have invested their money in Russian teams (Zenith) and this will happen more frequent. The future of football lies more Eastern than in the core lands of Western Europe. I can se an era where Russian, Chinese and Arab teams will be the big teams.

Interesting you chose that for Qatar and dismissed Russia.

Yes they have footballing history (or at least, the USSR did), but it's an absolute guarentee that they will have bought all the votes. Clearly Russia had more money to throw at the bastards that run FIFA than us or Spain/Portugal did.

Ah, don't get me wrong mate. Russia will definately have used money to influence votes, no question whatsoever. But at least Russia is known for football to a fair degree. What's Qatar ever given football? Might as well play the World Cup in the Maldives.

Qatar will have infrastructures designed to Maintain a different temperature from outside. Only they have to money to do it, so if they can, and since this is the first WC in that region, why not? Politically and financially and in terms of football as a whole (football needs to be a link between people and something that connects us in some way) having a WC there seems a good move in order to implement the sports culture around there, which is barely none.
Besides, its 12 years from now for Christ sake, the Mayans said the world is going to end in 2012 so who cares? :P

Nice post ALBI sums FIFA up

In the end all that really matters is the quality of the football on show
sry had to lol, the WC finals isnt a football feast anymore, how many games in the 2010 finals ended up 1-0!!! imo its became too defencive, even Spain who were the best team had a lot of 1-0s.

I guess my point is, maybe the WC Finals isnt the tournament we would like it to be anymore, although Im disappointed England didnt get it maybe let FIFA get on with it because the product they have isnt as good as they think it is

Exactly this is the point.

I'd be happy, if you'd have read my whole posts. One thing I can't quite is you saying Qatar isn't a good choice due to its money, but Russia is a good choice, because of their league. The Russian league wouldn't be in their actual condition and position today without the oil industry in their back. And if you honestly think, Russia did not give some money to the FIFA, you might also still believe in Santa.

I don't care for Qatar and I do think both them and Russians must have done their fair share of bribing.

Don't be offended by my post. I did read it fully and understand and even agree on why there are many reasons why Qatar isn't a good place to host it.

I only replied about what I replied and that was the topic of the sport's popularity in the middle east which you were wrong about. That's the only part of your post I was replying to, nothing else.

I'm glad we never got it.

The last major Football tournament we hosted (Euro 96) went a very long way to absolutely ruining football (along with Sky) in this country, so I'm happy to not have a repeat of that.

@ The_Special_One

I want to make sweet, sensual passionate warmstickybumlove to your avatar.

I still have no issue with Qatar. What footballing tradition did South Africa have? Qatar are willing to invest in infrastructure for the tournament - new stadiums, transportation and offer another dimension - shopping and hotels. Qatar is also in the middle of the Middle East, and has no political conflicts with most major countries. It's a 'safe' way of entering the middle east that's also a neutral ground, especially also because they are quickly developing and focusing on becoming a very modern developed country in the next couple of years.

Exactly.

In my opinion like any of the other 'bids' it has its upsides and it has its downsides and potential concerns.

I think they'll do a good job just as others would've done had they been selected, so personally I'm not too bothered by all this.

An important point is one that others also made before, this isn't so much about Qatar and Qatar only. Just like the WC in South Africa where ALL of Africa celebrated and were behind them and traveled, etc., this will be the same. Qatar itself is a tiny place but you can bet your ass, they'll have tourists from every Arab nation and Turkey, Iran, everywhere now.

The middle east is huge, very populated and football crazy. In some ways this is a good thing and a new opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom