Russia to host World Cup 2018

To talk about Wales,Scotland, Ireland and England as foreign to eachother is quite sad to be honest. No matter what you think there is a special link and we are united.
The UK was very much united years ago, but these days there is no special link and definitely no unity (why did devolution happen then? Why does "God Save the Queen" get booed at Hampden and the Millennium Stadium?). The constant stream of Anglocentric spin from the media and all this "England Expects" nonsense rammed down everyone's throats during every World Cup and European Championship has made people from the other three countries go from wishing them well in major tournaments to the attitude of "hope they fail". The same applied to this World Cup bid.

The front pages of yesterday's papers proved what sore losers the English are. Sour grapes and chucking toys out of the pram, when will you realise the whole world does not revolve around you? I'm sorry but the front pages brought a wry smile from myself, and some people I know couldn't help but scoff because the whole fallout is reminiscent of the spoilt kid who thinks he's best but hates it when he loses. Its alright you "middle Englanders" chucking crap at us but you hate it when we chuck it back. Russia got problems with hooligans and racism? Take a look closer to home, and the latter applies whenever my club cross the border for away fixtures when home fans shout "fucking sheepshaggers". And before anyone starts, yes, my club has big problems with hooligans, and I do not condone their actions. I am a football fan and been following the game for a very long time, but I am also very protective of my national identities because I fear their recognition is waining because of the British/English misconception. It is well reported that Blatter and his cronies secretly want the four home nations FA to merge and field a UK national team, and maybe that would end all this apathy, but certainly nobody wants that to happen. Just ask the BOC about the football team for the 2012 Olympics.

Anyway, enough of the politics, the fact is even if Russia hadn't have won, England still wouldn't be hosting the World Cup in 2018, because they had the fewest votes. So put a sock in it and get over it! :P

Last edited:
The UK was very much united years ago, but these days there is no special link and definitely no unity (why did devolution happen then? Why does "God Save the Queen" get booed at Hampden and the Millennium Stadium?). The constant stream of Anglocentric spin from the media and all this "England Expects" nonsense rammed down everyone's throats during every World Cup and European Championship has made people from the other three countries go from wishing them well in major tournaments to the attitude of "hope they fail". The same applied to this World Cup bid.

The front pages of yesterday's papers proved what sore losers the English are. Sour grapes and chucking toys out of the pram, when will you realise the whole world does not revolve around you? I'm sorry but the front pages brought a wry smile from myself, and some people I know couldn't help but scoff because the whole fallout is reminiscent of the spoilt kid who thinks he's best but hates it when he loses. Its alright you "middle Englanders" chucking crap at us but you hate it when we chuck it back. Russia got problems with hooligans and racism? Take a look closer to home, and the latter applies whenever my club cross the border for away fixtures when home fans shout "fucking sheepshaggers". And before anyone starts, yes, my club has big problems with hooligans, and I do not condone their actions. I am a football fan and been following the game for a very long time, but I am also very protective of my national identities because I fear their recognition is waining because of the British/English misconception. It is well reported that Blatter and his cronies secretly want the four home nations FA to merge and field a UK national team, and maybe that would end all this apathy, but certainly nobody wants that to happen. Just ask the BOC about the football team for the 2012 Olympics.

Anyway, enough of the politics, the fact is even if Russia hadn't have won, England still wouldn't be hosting the World Cup in 2018, because they had the fewest votes. So put a sock in it and get over it! :P

Football wise it is just solely down to bitterness from Scotland and Wales etc that they hate us. We get into the major tournaments more often than not, the other countries struggle some what (usually). We have won the world cup, so it does get brought up everytime we enter a competition, why not mention it? why does it upset the Scotish and Welsh fans so much? becuase alot of Scotland/Wales supporters are all bitter, just like your posts show.

The way Scottish fans wear the opposition kit of the team we are playing is just sad imo.

you tell us to get over the world cup bid?! but you all need to get that huge chip off of your shoulders and get over your silly little petty hate towards England, its team and the supporters.

I would love to see a UK team in the Olympics, why not? and see it on occasions. I think that would be really good. Alex Ferguson as manager and get the best from each team in there, would be great to see imo.

Anyway you keep getting an aneurysm everytime you hear about us winning the world cup in 1966 and when you see an English fan wave a Union Jack, that's up to you.

I'm not English, i'm Belgian.
I agree with some aspects (when English football fans talk about Scottish football it is with an air of superiority...a player like Larsson only got the recognition he deserved after having played for Man Utd).
But while i agree with some aspects, your post is sad, frustrated and if all Welshmen and Scottish people would "reason" like you...i guess the English have every reason to feel superior.
Just stop comparing yourself to the English, live your own live.

And about Fifa's decision, if you would have followed the bid, you would know that the English only were the first to be eliminated because prior to the votes Blatter warned about "the danger of the press". England should be proud of it's free press. I have nothing against Russia or Qatar, but they don't have a free press. The England bid wasn't treated fair.

Last edited:
Well jumbo, i remember bloody well that he wasn't respected on this site...i remember FD and other Celtic fans, praising him and only being laughed at for it...the Celtic team with Larsson and Valgaeren was a pretty decent team.

Ok fair enough, I don't dispute that, that was before I was a member here though.

I do remember plenty of praise directed at him by our media and in general while he was at Celtic though and he also played for Barcelona and Sweden before he came to United where people took notice of him.

Especially pleased that we won World Cup - is racism. Every day we have heard from a British journalist what we are racists, especially fans of the Zenit o/

This is so stupid, we are snow country, where we have to find "black" people ? Look at the map, the closest country with a large number of Africans are France, who is lukewarm France wants to live in Russia? all last week of weather -20. Snow, cold, wind: no, we are Nazi! said British journalists

actually Sankt Peterburg is almost French city..talking about architecture ;) ...i dont think Russians are racist.. i belive this will be one of best world cups!!

you have good and bad fans everywhere..and i dont mention what i think about British journalists... well at least the majority...

Dont wanna talk about politics, economics, racism, british newspapers trying to make Russia the most corrupted country in the world and all the bullshit like that.
World Cup in Russia is an historical event.
I'm very happy and I'm sure that you would be too if your country would have been chosen.

I think the US is very corrupted , what`s worst is ppl trying to cover it up and deny it isn`t. The only thing you could do is vote them out! Anyone with POWER is on the verge of a moral collapse. Integrity is not just doing things right, but are able to punish n reward at the proper time. I`m not even sure if FIFA leaders are voted or appointed into office.

No actual quotes from anyone at FIFA there but Beckenbaur was talking about it on Friday so it could have come from that, although I don't think he holds a position at FIFA?

I thought they had some fantastic air conditioning technology anyway so there's no need to have it then.

1. I heard Beckenbauer wants it to be move to November/December, meaning the WC being later instead of a WC in January, which would take place earlier.

2.Well, if this move would get real, you could stop spending the money into senseless technologies, which will never me amortised as the stadiums are planned to be demolished after the tournament and shipped to other countries.

Qatar has the possibilities of modern now .. let alone. what qatar do in 2022?
Qatar does not want to be held the World Cup in the winter
The weather is not high to the extent that you imagine ..
but qatar has some fantastic air conditioning technology

Again, i don't think any of us here doubt what Qatar can bring to the WC (technology-wise and stadium-wise), but most of our concerns are around what they will do with the stadiums after. It is a huge waste to build high tech stadiums and then demolish them, or leave them there to be unused. Even if they ship to other countries, what country will have a use for them and have the funds to support it and run it??

actually Sankt Peterburg is almost French city..talking about architecture ;) ...i dont think Russians are racist.. i belive this will be one of best world cups!!

you have good and bad fans everywhere..and i dont mention what i think about British journalists... well at least the majority...

Amigo you mean Italian as well ,after all the architects like Rastrelli that were summoned by Catherine the Great to embellish the city in a florid rococco style along with Frenchmen like de la Mothe and later Russians like Stasov. ;)

I'm not disuputing Russia holding the World Cup I mean I support the Red Machine and their athletes over many sports like skating and gymnastics , volleyball etc etc.

And Russia's cultural heritage is immense in the arts and sciences.

What it boils down to is the way the process was conducted and how Bloater managed to work his influence on it, using the idea of a free press as something to be despised.

FIFA should not be above the law. Jacques Rogge can hopefully bring pressure to bear from the IOC on FIFA as it is considering proceedings against Issa Hayatou is also an IOC member.

frontliner thankfully you are in a relative minority. I've been to Scotland several times and they are lovely people with a proud history and heritage.

It's people like yourself mired in the past with chips on the shoulder that could do with some growing up. The adage little Englander ought to be applied to your own outlook.

As I said and say once more if you hate England so much why doesn't Cardiff take a spot in the League of Wales ?

Back
Top Bottom