PS3 Cracked to play backup games...

Scutch

Futsal Master
31 October 2006
Cumbria, UK
Tottenham Hotspur
Arguably bad news overall as far as software development is concerned. Publishers were pleased that the PS3 exclusives were unavailable to freeload. Looks like that may change now.

More sources claiming it's legit...

psjailbreak.jpg

Plug a USB pen (which has software on it) into your PS3 which turns it into a debug system able for you to dump games to an external hard drive.

The product description and FAQ from various websites:

Q: What firmware version does PS JailBreak it work on?
A. It apparently works on a couple of old firmware verisons, but it was designed for the latest firmware version 3.41

Q. Does PS Jailbreak allow you to dump ps2 games, ps1 game, Blu ray movies?
A. No, just PS3 games.

Q. Does PS JailBreak allow every game to work?
A. Apparently 150 games have been tested, and they all work. If a game happens to have 1 file over 4gb the program will not be able to rip the game onto the harddrive. Apparently the worl around is to dump it on an internal hardrive

Q. Can I still play online with PS Jailbreak?
A. When today (19.08.2010) you can, we can't guarantee you will never be banned for using the 3rd party device.

Q. Can Sonly block this with firmware updates?
A. Probably. The have have the USb dongle firmware upgradable, but you can never predict the future. This is made to work with 3.41. If you happen to download an install an update which is higher then this then it is your doing. We will not accept stock back as "faulty" if you have upgraded your firmware.

Here's more from the makers, promises 2x faster playback, homebrew and more:

*PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.

* Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.
Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA

* PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.
Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)

* Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.
Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.

* Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.

* Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.

Other stuff

The official website for the product is down at the moment. A retailer in Australia (who released the videos) is listing it for $170. Although we no way in endorse or support this. Stay tuned for further updates.

Just like HD Loader, the implications for Sony and the cosnole could be huge. Consider those that rent/borrow games from friends and the like and just copy games onto their hard drive. Although hopeully it does lead to some hope for real homebrew projects, the possibilities with Move could be incredible!

Taken from Maxconsole:
http://www.maxconsole.net/content.p...s-gamers-to-copy-games-directly-to-hard-drive

Full process :

YouTube - Worlds second test of ps3 modchip, for all the Youtube plebs

Dumping to HDD:

YouTube - Ps3 Game Dumping

basically useless in terms of profitability

add the costs of that stick + bluray writet + 50 gig blurays, you are probably just a few quid away from buying retail games

not worthy imo

You don't need a writer though, really. Just download the PS3 games to an external HDD and play without firing onto a disc.

You put each game on your HDD don;t you? So you just buy that usb thing and then transfer the files to your hdd

as far as i understood this is just running the console in debug mode and enables you to install from the disc to harddrive, not really a loader straight from the hdd, is it?

maybe i didn't get it ;) if it was a loader it would be a blow for sony

Let me clarify:

The loader itself is a normal USB stick with a repackaged SELF file (a bit like a PS3 .exe file) that was made with the use of the official Sony PS3 SDK. Once put together and inserted into a PS3 the PS3 thinks that it is a debug unit and allows the SELF file to be run and thus the backup manager you see on the screen runs. The backup manager allows you to backup the contents of a PS3 Blu-ray disc game onto the local or USB HDD. It will play the backup of the game regardless of what disc is in the drive.

E.g. You rent a copy of God of War 3, back it up onto the PS3 HDD. You then insert any PS3 game you own. Run the backup manager and you will be able to play that backup you have made regardless of what disc is in the drive. I believe the disc only needs to be in there for authorisation purposes but it may not even be needed.

The good thing about this is that it will reduce the wear and tear of the Blu-ray drive, improve performance, prevent your discs from being scratched and most importantly allow unsigned code e.g. homebrew to be run.

So what does $170 Australian dollars work out in £? Probably a ridiculous amount?

You most likely will see a free solution fairly soon. Its similar to how the Jigkick/Pandora battery for the PSP was reverse engineered a few years ago. After a while the tools were released and everyone could make their own Pandora battery. The same will happen with this. Everyone will soon be able to make a bootable USB system.

The other stinker to this is they removed linux and got into all sorts of bother to stop piracy and now someone's gone and cracked the console this way.

You know this will they will continue to counter it through firmware updates, I mean if they had left Linux support on there, it would only of meant the earlier models could be hacked, but now it means any PS3 will be able to be hacked.

It will be like the PSP and Wii. Firmware updates every few months to try and stop the holes. A cat and mouse game. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I'm not sure if i can be arsed with the whole Cat and Mouse scenarios that drum up with modern day "perfectly legitimate use of backups and homebrew" on consoles.

One thing which could really get people interested though, apart from the perfectly legal legitimate uses could be if something like this allows the PS3 to expand as a media player, similar to what they did with XBMC (although i presume this would be potentially closer to a Popcorn Hour or other HD player).

If i didn't have a media PC i would snap this up for this sole purpose, what a large HDD in and be set with an all in one system.

-

Early day's yet isn't it. Perhaps, providing the "unofficial but perfectly legitimate code" is updated often and there are methods to update game data then it could be viable to have an offline media PS3.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I can see Sony releasing frequent firmware updates to try and counter this, so this could end up being more hassle than it's worth. Not sure I would use this anyway. I've never been into acquiring games by nefarious means because I'm quite happy paying £30-40 for something that gives me weeks/months of entertainment.

Exactly Jamezinho.

I don't begrudge £30 ish for games which will keep me playing a long time down the line (though DLC is a bit of a gripe of mine).

I weigh it up as i'd spend £50 plus on a night out, whereas a few ales on a Friday night and join my mates for Bad Company 2.

Ok there's not much chance of a stunning brunette falling for my drunken patter online, but me and my mates can have a bit of banter and shoot people, saving ourselves a lot of cash.

Saying that, i could find a way to justify it to myself if this made it viable to have an "offline" only machine. Definitely tempted to invest in a PS3 slim then.

Wholeheartedly agree with all games not being worth £30. I don't like the fact prices are creeping up now either, and "optional" DLC winds me up(Dragon Age was a bitch for this, a crucial game-play item was part of the paid DLC).

It's very rarely i make a day one purchase now, i tend to buy and trade PS3 games at the local market or on another popular forum i'm a member of.

-

If they could wangle some kind of PSX and PS2 emulation off a hard-drive i'd snap this up actually.

Paid £120 for one of the very first batch of "no swap" solutions back in 2002 on the PS2 and i've pissed that up the wall in a weekend more often than occassionally :(

Wholeheartedly agree with all games not being worth £30. I don't like the fact prices are creeping up now either, and "optional" DLC winds me up(Dragon Age was a bitch for this, a crucial game-play item was part of the paid DLC).

It's very rarely i make a day one purchase now, i tend to buy and trade PS3 games at the local market or on another popular forum i'm a member of.

-

If they could wangle some kind of PSX and PS2 emulation off a hard-drive i'd snap this up actually.

Paid £120 for one of the very first batch of "no swap" solutions back in 2002 on the PS2 and i've pissed that up the wall in a weekend more often than occassionally :(

I myself used swap magic. Those were the days.... All to play a bloody Japanese football game!

Back
Top Bottom