PS3 Cracked to play backup games...

Oh the irony. PS3Jailbreak’s creator have admitted its USB software solution for hacking PS3 has already been cloned, and is urging people to buy the original for “warranty and support.”

The new USB device allows you to copy Blu-Ray discs to your hard drive and play home-brew games straight from your PS3.

PS3jailbreak has used its website to say, “Beware of imitators and Chinese knock-offs, PS Jailbreak is the original solution,” after reports the device has already been cloned.

It’s also asking people to only buy from “authorised dealers.”

Sony has yet to respond to the release of this latest attempt to hack the PS3, but we would always urge you to buy the original game and help support the industry against piracy.

I'm suprised it took that long to "clone" them seeing as its just files on a USB stick

I'm suprised it took that long to "clone" them seeing as its just files on a USB stick

Its not 'just files on a USB stick'. Its not a normal USB stick. It has has a 48 pin CPLD (complex programmable logic device). The chip on board needs to be dumped of all its code and then you can clone it. It should be extremely easy to do, actually it already has been done now so expect clones from next week onwards. Its shocking to see the complete lack of security Sony have/had on the device. It should cost around £2.70 to manufacture these in bulk. The reason for the extortionate initial price was because it was a quick 'grab and sell' and its also partly due to its obvious uniqueness which has now gone out the window.

Was waiting for this to happen. Bring on the clones!

clowns.jpg

Oh you said clones :BOP:

got a couple of boards on order, should have one of them tomorrow

pes 2008,9, & 10 are all reported as not working though, was interested in installing to external hdd then seeing if it's possible to edit files

Why would they not work? Thought it's just a matter of backing up your games to play on hdd.

Last edited:
Thought Sony are cracking down on this from what I read few days ago if not I dont doubt it will be long before this is patched up in firmware updates.

Just tried this succesfuly at a firends house. We used a Nokia N900 as the jailbreak tool. Managed to backup a few of his games onto the internal HDD and tried a couple of them offline. All of them worked flawlessly. Loading times were slightly quicker than on Blu-ray but it wasnt amazingly fast. Looking forward to more developments on this as so many people are working on getting the exploit tool on as many USB based devices as possible. I cant wait for the first pieces of homebrew such as emulators now that the official SDK was leaked. :)

Good to know Billy. How'd it all feel though? Exciting enough?

Nah it wasn't anything special at the moment. Its nice to be able to back up your games now but the hack will only start to reap its true benefits a few months down the line.

Only 4gb game limit at moment though due to fat32 limitation so that will probably rule out most new games.

Only 4gb game limit at moment though due to fat32 limitation so that will probably rule out most new games.

That applies only to external HDD devices. You can backup and play any game onto the internal HDD. The internal HDD is formatted as a EXT3 device whereas the PS3 can only recognise FAT32 devices when plugged into its USB ports.

Anyway 500GB 2.5 SATA internal HDD's for PS3 are pretty cheap these days.

Rumour has it that the next backup manager is supporting NTFS.

Looks like lots of Android phones have been sorted out, just waiting for my Galaxy S to be coded and I'll definately give this a try.

http://www.klutsh.com/pdg/

not a real 4gb limit, more a limit of 4gb files within a game.

so if a game is a total of 40 gb but all files within the game are below 4gb it will still work

Rumour has it that the next backup manager is supporting NTFS.

Looks like lots of Android phones have been sorted out, just waiting for my Galaxy S to be coded and I'll definately give this a try.

http://www.klutsh.com/pdg/

sorry to ask a dumb question - will there be an app or something like this to use my htc desire with a usb-cable as the dongle?!?!?
or what's about this psfreedom device guide???

Firmware 3.42 now on PSN, blocks all of the exploits around at the moment. Obviously don't update if you plan to use the exploit at some point.

if you don't want to update but still want online go into network settings, set DNS to manual and change both to 67.202.81.137

you can now sign into psn without updating ;)

Back
Top Bottom