PS3 Cracked to play backup games...

cad-20110209-69cc4.jpg

Not sure where to post this but here goes:

European customs ordered to seize PlayStation shipments in legal dispute

Confiscations ordered after Asian electronics giant LG wins preliminary injunction against Sony in acrimonious patent battle

European customs officers have been ordered to seize shipments of Playstation 3s after LG won a preliminary injunction against Sony in an acrimonious patent battle between the two Asian electronics giants.

The ruling by the civil court of justice in the Hague means that all new PS3s have to be confiscated as they are imported into the UK and the rest of Europe for at least 10 days.

If the injunction was extended it could mean consoles disappearing from high street shelves. It is understood that Sony and computer games retailers typically have about two to three weeks' worth of PS3s in stock across the continent.

Tens of thousands of PS3s were seized by customs officers last week in the Netherlands, the Guardian has learnt, in a dispute that centres on Sony's allegedly infringing use of Blu-ray technology belonging to LG.

Sony, which imports around 100,000 of the consoles a week, is frantically trying to get the ban lifted. The Japanese company has the right to appeal to the European patents office.

LG meanwhile, could apply to the same patents office to get the 10-day import ban extended. Alternatively, the Korean company could apply for a court order to get the consoles destroyed but it is highly unlikely the court would grant a request to eliminate the warehoused goods.

LG argues that Sony PS3s infringe a number of its patents relating to playback of Blu-ray Discs. LG called for an investigation into the PS3's Blu-ray use in a filing with the US international trade commission earlier this month, and said it sought a "permanent exclusion order ... excluding entry into the United States" of the games console.

If Sony is found to have infringed LG patents, it could be forced to compensate the South Korean manufacturer for each PS3 it has sold around the world, which could cost hundreds of millions of pounds.

The two technology giants are involved in a complex web of seven separate patent disputes, with Sony also seeking to block shipments of LG smartphones to the US.

Rotterdam and Schiphol are the main import points for PS3s for both the UK and continental Europe. The consoles are being stockpiled in Dutch warehouses until it becomes clear how the case will develop.

A spokesman for Sony Playstation said: "We are currently looking into this matter, and cannot make any comments at this point in time." LG declined to comment, although sources close to the company confirmed the current legal position.

Sony has sold more than 3m PS3s in the UK since its launch in March 2007. The Japanese manufacturer is understood to have a stockpile of around 6,500 PS3s in Germany and 10,000 in the UK.

However, the majority of PS3 sales around Europe are pre-orders, meaning they are already sold before they gather dust at warehouses in the UK and elsewhere. Stockpiles could run out within two to three weeks if the ban is not lifted, the Guardian understands.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/28/playstation-3-lg-legal-dispute

Karma.. eh..

Court allows Sony access to list of visitors to GeoHot’s website

If you happened to have visited George Hotz’s website from January 2009 onward, and live in the San Francisco area, you may be contacted by Sony’s lawyers.

According to a Wired report, Federal Magistrate Joseph Spero has granted Sony permission to subpoena George Hotz’s web provider to find out how many people in California downloaded his “jailbreak” files.

This approval, along with any subsequent findings though GeoHot’s service provider Bluehost would provide Sony with the ability to reproduce “all server logs, IP address logs, account information, account access records and application or registration forms” through the site’s hosting. It would also allow for “any other identifying information corresponding to persons or computers who have accessed or downloaded files hosted” through GeoHot’s website.

The information obtained through the listings would allow Sony to sue Geohot in San Francisco, instead of his home state of New Jersey.

Other subpoenas for additional information in the case were approved for Twitter, YouTube, and Google.

A hearing is scheduled for next month in San Francisco federal court, which will then decide whether Hotz can be tired in California or whether proceedings will need to be moved to a New Jersey federal court.

yes, that´s even worse!

for those who don´t know how your credit card data is geniously being sent to sony, take a look:

source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ing-stunning-lack-of-credit-card-security.ars

i guess you didnt read that clearley enough, if your dumb enough to install a firmware which you have no idea what it is really doing as it is a hack and can easily be man in the middle type spoofing software then you deserve to get your CC shit stolen. If you dont hack your ps3 you wont have an issue...
Piracy leads to Piracy.. and anyone who thinks that playing donwloaded games for free isnt a crime is a moron and again, deserves eveything they get for taking part in said crime

i guess you didnt read that clearley enough, if your dumb enough to install a firmware which you have no idea what it is really doing as it is a hack and can easily be man in the middle type spoofing software then you deserve to get your CC shit stolen. If you dont hack your ps3 you wont have an issue...
Piracy leads to Piracy.. and anyone who thinks that playing donwloaded games for free isnt a crime is a moron and again, deserves eveything they get for taking part in said crime

soapbox.jpg

;)

Nice speach, Jesus Christ... :LOL:

Some months ago I had my ps3 with the YLOD. I lost a lot of photos that I didn't have anywhere else, mainly from a trip to Venice. I didn't know the hard disk was encrypted by then, and didn't know there wasn't any way of backing up data.

So, with all this cracking of the ps3 going on, is there a way now to back up data or access a ps3 disk from a ps3?

I couldn't care less about pirated games, but my personal data on the PS3 is MINE and Sony should provide any way to back up your personal data. It's absolutely unthinkable that sony will kept encrypted and unaccesible data that is mine and it's there in my old HD, but can't access it as my old PS3 died and had to replace it.

I think you'll need to install the ftp manager on your PS3, which needs to be jailbroken first, then you can ftp from your pc and see what files you need moving/copying.

But I don't have my old ps3, only my old hard disk. The ps3 was totally fried (motherboard was literally burned). So with the jailbreak can I put a different hd to a ps3 and it works?

Oh... so you mean you only have the HDD then. Don't really know what you should do in this case tbh... Maybe put it in your current PS3, copy whatever files you want, then put back your new HDD? Not sure if this works..

EDIT: Maybe you should try posting your question here Drekkard, http://psx-scene.com/forums/ps3-general-discussion/

Last edited:
Oh, thanks Lami, I've read around and it doesn't seem possible in a legit way, so I'll have to resort to illegal methods to recover my own personal data... That shouldn't be allowed by law. My personal data should always be accessible. Thanks!

Nope, HD are encrypted and formatted in a way Windows can't acces to it. Unless something appears in the scene that makes a bridge to that. I've been looking to no luck by now, maybe I must wait a bit longer until someone does something about it. Thanks anyway.

Drekkard, have you tried hooking it up to a Linux platform? If you don't know how to use Linux, try asking someone you know. I think it should work that way.

Nope, it doesn't, I already read about it and there's no way. Someone should write an app that decodifies the HD information and learns to read the info in the way that the ps3 writes it.

I could try to do it (I do quite a bit of programming myself in my work), but my skills are more visual-oriented, and all this PS3 encryption and file format is beyond me right now.

I think I will seat and keep my hd until someone smarter and more gifted than me writes the application.

Back
Top Bottom