* Pro Evo 2008 (XB360) First Impressions and Thoughts Thread *

Can`t change the camera angle any more?

I notice taht you can`t cahnge the camera angle anymore, but YES in ps2 version.... i don't understand nothing....

Well they got back to me...can't see it going any further though!

Dear customer,

Thank you very much for contacting the Konami customer support team.

You reported us an error which is known to our development team. The team is trying to resolve this problem as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience this issue might have caused.

Your Konami Support Team

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH
Berner Str. 103-105
60437 Frankfurt am Main
Germany

Local Court of Frankfurt am Main: HRB Nr. 24990
Managing Director: Kunio Neo, Kazumi Kitaue

Don't get me wrong - I'm whinging to konami to get something out of them (i do it with nearly everything i purchase) But i just finished D2 last night and have to admit - it is possibly one of the best pro evo's for gameplay - i haven't looked at fifa since i got pes08.
For me it has a few bugs and yes the running animations are poor but damn it it's still pro evo! the flashes of an amazing game of football crop up now and again - final of the d2 cup against rosenborg - 0-0 closley fought when ribery picks the ball up on the edge of the box threads emre in and wallop of the underside of the bar from 6 yards out comes back into play and off the defenders thigh and in. - you just couldn't do it on fifa

Don't get me wrong - I'm whinging to konami to get something out of them (i do it with nearly everything i purchase) But i just finished D2 last night and have to admit - it is possibly one of the best pro evo's for gameplay - i haven't looked at fifa since i got pes08.
For me it has a few bugs and yes the running animations are poor but damn it it's still pro evo! the flashes of an amazing game of football crop up now and again - final of the d2 cup against rosenborg - 0-0 closley fought when ribery picks the ball up on the edge of the box threads emre in and wallop of the underside of the bar from 6 yards out comes back into play and off the defenders thigh and in. - you just couldn't do it on fifa

Coudnt agree more:D. Everyone has been sayin fifa is so so real, why is it then it feels s**t to play, admited the manager mode is gr8, but wen it comes down to playing on the pitch theres no competion pes wins hands down. an example i had an exhibition match last nite between milan and man u, even on tele cam its quite clear whos on the ball no need to have the name bar on easily reconisble c. ronaldo,tevez, kaka etc and even brasilian ronaldo his charactaristcs are amazing now to me thats realisim not like on fifa were they all play simlar running round like a bunch of oaps on a day out at the seaside!

Believe me, it is THE BEST pro evo to date. No doubt about it. Play the game. Simple as that. Editing is rubbish, as are the modes and overall options(as always), but gameplay really is the best to date. U finally see teams playing to their strenghts, differently from one another, and it really is a "footballing" challenge to face the "big guns" in this game. Beautiful moments in every single game i`ve played so far. Won "world cup" with Portugal replicating the groups of the last tournament, and i don´t remember having this fuzzy feeling playing a game in a long,long time. Started a master league with Benfica and the beauty kept happening... bliss, i tell u. U win if u are organized and focused, u´ll loose if u don´t. That simple? YES. It is a mature simulation of modern football, where the real 90 mns are condensed on the best 10 that i´ve ever played. Hands down great football game. Hope u all can enjoy it as i am .(some catchy tunes on it also... "all i wanna do is kick it...LOL

ha. blind fools. it plays NOTHING LIKE PAST INCARNATIONS which were frankly gripping and playable for their time. Honestly people will play any old kak these days and be satisfied.

ha. blind fools. it plays NOTHING LIKE PAST INCARNATIONS which were frankly gripping and playable for their time. Honestly people will play any old kak these days and be satisfied.

In fairness mate, each to their own.

I was one who slated pes 2008,and loved fifa 08,especially as Hearts are in it.

But there is just something lacking in fifa, that was starting to grind my gears.

Also,My adsl was pushed up from 1mb to 4mb yesterday:), and what a difference it makes to online.No lag whatsoever.

Great game,Really enjoying this,although I don't play offline as it feels like pulling teeth (boring) imo.

Give me a little slice of that humble pie please...

I agree --

This is a first for me having owned all the games since the first ISS on the Playtation ive just traded in Pro Evo 08 (Speed pinball Arcade football) and bought Call of duty 3 Ill stick with Pro 6 on the PC with all the kits, Banners and the stadiums over 80 I have installed.

I have played Pro Evo 08 solid for the past week in the desperate hope that I would grow to like it I haven’t . last night I put Fifa on for the first time in a week and had the most fantastic 1-1 draw over a 20 min match. Fifa is now the simulation and Pro Evo has become the Arcade game with matches ending 5-3 over 10 min Im going to concentrate on playing Fifa 08 and learning the skill moves and I really hope that Konami get there act together for next year saddly this years it’s a dogs dinner and absolute S##t.

This review is pretty accurate from gamestyle

It's Going Downhill
Xbox 360 Review: PES 2008 (Pro Evolution Soccer 7)
Article written by Adam Gulliver

When we reviewed the last Pro Evolution Soccer release on the Xbox 360 it was clearly a rush job and deservedly received a 6/10. This time around Gamestyle was expecting a true next generation football experience, one that would throw away the bad memory that was PES6. We're sad to say that this isn’t the case. Konami's series is now on a downward slope and while the latest iteration may have corrected a few faults from the last game, it’s unfortunately created a whole host of new ones.

Compared to FIFA the PES series was always going to have poorer presentation. This was inevitable, what wasn't cast in stone was the inclusion of songs that would make EA's Trax line-up seem like Mozart. And what also wasn't inevitable was the terrible menu system that shows no design skill, and looks like it was knocked up in a five minute lunch break. Our concerns were slightly eradicated when we actually took to the pitch though. The passing and shooting felt far more fluid than previously before and it's far easier to dribble pass the opposition doing some handy tricks along the way. Animations have also been tweaked and while some are reused there are new additions that make it look like a real game of football. The commentators have finally been changed and we get the fairly decent vocals of Jon Champion and the not so pleasant Mark Lawrenson, a man who doesn’t even try to disguise the fact that he's reading off cue cards.

So it plays better than PES6, but while this may be the diamond encrusted core of the game, what surrounds it can easily described as animal excrement. On the plus side the edit team and save replay options have returned and unfortunately the latter is next to useless when you see the incredible amount of framerate issues that occur during the replays. It’s something we found quite unusual when you see how that this is hardly a graphical powerhouse. Players that look nothing like their real life counterparts are common and graphical glitches that see players ghost through each offer happen frequently during the goal celebrations. Like we said we knew the presentation was going to be lacking compared to Fifa, but it’s like Konami haven't even tried to compete, and that's the problem - playing the game we can’t shake the feeling that the team at Konami aren't even bothered anymore. The PES series has sold loads since it first appeared out of the rotting corpse of International Superstar Soccer and is now almost on level terms with the Fifa series when it comes to sales, PES 2008 just feels like it was quickly put together to cash in on peoples familiarity with the brand. Maybe it’s EA who aren't the money grubbing evil corporation after all?

If you've played the past online PES games then we doubt you'll be surprised when we say that it's a bit of a unplayable mess. Even when you're shown three green connection bars with a ping count of over 4000 players and the ball will constantly teleport across the pitch. The game can often freeze before restarting, as if someone's pressed the fast forward button and goals can seemingly come from out of nowhere as you're left wondering how the host can always out run your own players. You'd think by now that Konami would setup some sort of decent online team, but we guess they prefer to send it unfinished and then patch it at a later date.

Reaching the end of this review we still haven't mentioned the Paul Robinson-like goalkeepers who prefer to parry the ball into the oppositions feet instead of actually catching it. The lack of team AI who like all previous PES releases prefer to just wander aimlessly instead of making a run into open space.

If you're a PES fan then you've already gone and bought the game so our words are meaningless, but hopefully PES 2008 will convince you to hold onto your hard earned before making the purchase next year. The PES brand is currently sinking into shark infested waters and it seems that no matter how loud people shout the problems that have plagued the series since the beginning still aren't being addressed. Konami must try harder because you only have to look at the various message boards across the internet to see that fans are starting to revolt. Even with the faster, more fluid gameplay it still can't detract from the faults that surround it. We can only hope that next year is the true return to form.

Gamestyle Score: 6 / 10

Best momentum ever for the PES series: The game is the best to date( gameplay wise), but nontheless every review made focuses on the bad things, and keep giving Konami a really visible yellow card,a warning, or an advice if u will, for the coming future. No more ass kissing by the reviewers to a Company that has always showed true talent,but no respect to the "loyal" fanbase it generated. KEEP UP THE BAD REVIEWS.kONAMI NEED TO START TRYING AGAIN. but anyway, as long as the battle is between EA and konami, the only true footie representation is obvious and doubt free.

konami have failed simple as, yeah game plays ok but not great like we all expected

fifa 08 is making the right noises, and people who slag it off are so loyal to konami that it's unnerving

online play in pes2008 is a no-go and to be honest a complete shambles

The review above pretty much sums up pes2008, i wonder if the reviewers above will have their own in-game adboards for pes2009.....think not! well done lads great review

Best momentum ever for the PES series: The game is the best to date( gameplay wise), but nontheless every review made focuses on the bad things, and keep giving Konami a really visible yellow card,a warning, or an advice if u will, for the coming future. No more ass kissing by the reviewers to a Company that has always showed true talent,but no respect to the "loyal" fanbase it generated. KEEP UP THE BAD REVIEWS.kONAMI NEED TO START TRYING AGAIN. but anyway, as long as the battle is between EA and konami, the only true footie representation is obvious and doubt free.

Hear Hear. Well said.

Bunch of whiney brats on this forum. And when they say it was a waste of money, c'mon, we know mommy bought it for you. Prats.

your talking bollocks, its people like you that start big arguments in these forums, just because people dont like the game doesnt give you the right to call them prats, ive been playing pes for years and im sorry but its getting worse year by year, ive not played it since i brought it, My opinion is that FIFA is better this year, now that doesnt mean that people who think pes is better are prats, its just my opinion

Hear Hear. Well said.

Bunch of whiney brats on this forum. And when they say it was a waste of money, c'mon, we know mommy bought it for you. Prats.

Many people who play Fifa and like it are alot older than 20yrs old. So I doubt their Mum bought it for them. The majority that are playing in the Xbox 360 league are over 20 (If I'm not mistaken) some quite a bit older ;)

Please stop saying idiotic stuff like this - it really is detrimental to the Evo Web community as a whole.

Why can't people just respect others opinions? its just ridiculous.

My two cents...

Speed issue is not as bad as I first thought, I am now used to it.

The ability to run run run with top players is a real issue though, it's now way to easy to just speed past defenders with RB RB RB

Some of the defending by the CPU is laughable, why on earth do the fullbacks start running infield when you are running down the wing towards them?

It does 'feel' like PES again though after the disgrace that was PES6. Sometimes things happen that are so incredibly organic you just sit back in appreciation of the programming.

I happen to love the keepers (I play in goal myself) and think the spilled shots and missed crosses make the game more realistic and exciting. Not every keeper catches every cross or shot.

Shooting I find excellent and the goal nets give a real sense of satisfaction when you blast one into the top corner.

Defensive A.I (as I alluded to earlier) needs ramping up as no longer do I get the nerve racking 0-0 draws as in past years. I can't remember a single game so far that has ended 0-0.

All the usual stuff such as licenses, editing, slowdown on replays etc etc needs to be remedied but it's not a game-breaker for me. I don't play online so I can't comment on that.

Overall I love the game, tried FIFA but found it ultimately frustrating even though it does look fabulous and plays very well compared to last years game. In the end though I just never get that same sense of satisfaction when I score a goal in FIFA as I do in Pro Evo. It is a close one this year though with FIFA coming on leaps and bounds.

Next year, if Pro Evo can build on this year with the points we are all mentioning and FIFA continues improving apace it could be a great time for football fans.

Many people who play Fifa and like it are alot older than 20yrs old. So I doubt their Mum bought it for them. The majority that are playing in the Xbox 360 league are over 20 (If I'm not mistaken) some quite a bit older ;)

Please stop saying idiotic stuff like this - it really is detrimental to the Evo Web community as a whole.

Why can't people just respect others opinions? its just ridiculous.

Point taken, my bad. Was in a bad mood when I came on the forum yesterday and spoke before thinking when I saw another whine about editing and slowdown.

i'm getting used to the game now. at first i hated it. the purchase of kaka at man united has eased things. :D

i need to know all the tricks though. so many incidental tricks and jinks. running with ronaldo at defences is hilarious.

I've noticed some strange things. I have both pes2008 on 360 and ps3. 360 version runs smoother (in game) no frameratedrops, and the game runs on a higher fps then the ps3 (no discussion about that i suppose). BUT: on replays the 360 version def. has more framerate drops then the ps3. That doesnt make any sence. (Ps3 has also frameratedrops in replay but not as dramatically as on the 360!)

I can't open new threads for some reason, so I will ask here.

If I create a new player, load Master League and see that I made something wrong and I need to change it, how to make the change apply in the Master League? The player just stays the same.

I've noticed some strange things. I have both pes2008 on 360 and ps3. 360 version runs smoother (in game) no frameratedrops, and the game runs on a higher fps then the ps3 (no discussion about that i suppose). BUT: on replays the 360 version def. has more framerate drops then the ps3. That doesnt make any sence. (Ps3 has also frameratedrops in replay but not as dramatically as on the 360!)

Have you noticed wide camera closer and flatter on 360 than ps3?

Six Reasons Why I Hate PES2008 - The Movie

All about CPU cheating. I've provided this as proof that the CPU cheats but I can never prove it 100% because I'd have to have one camera recording the buttons I press on the pad as well, so believe it or don't believe it. But I'm hoping four years on these boards - and the fact that I've been bothered to record all of this and post it before I take the game back - shows that I deserve some trust.

(Apologies for posting in more than one thread, but I think it's relevant to each one I've posted it in)

I was beginning to think I was the only one out there that noticed these things but I've just seen your post and video. It's unbelievable isn't it? Now I feel justified in how angry the games make me at times and know that I'm not just cracking up.

Overall I can not believe that we're now in this day and age with consoles capabilities and we still see this 2nd rate crap that certain companies dish out. EA are my prime examples normally but now PES is following suit. PES6 was a woeful shambles of a "next-gen" attempt and now a full year on when we're seeing fantastic next-gen games such as Bioshock, PGR4, Call of Duty 4 and several others we're still seeing frankly piss-poor versions of sports games.

The graphics, gameplay and options of PES 2008 astound me. Is it just me or does it look and play more like something like PES 3 or 4 on PS2? And that isn't taking into account the ridiculous problems such as lagging and other things people have complained about.

These companies are getting beyond lazy. As I say I usually reserve this for people like EA, but this year PES has become the same, infact it's worse as it's gone WORSE rather than not even improving any.

How on earth in the day of next gen consoles (the 360 now being out a long time aswell and seeing other great software as I pointed out) is it that we still have the same old basic game from about 5 years ago? With the same master league, the same licenses missing (worse again as there's no longer any German sides since 2 years ago) and the same lack of teams and options? How come EA (whom I dislike anyway as stated) can fit in hundreds upon hundreds of teams in their FIFA games that are on older consoles like PS2, PSP etc and yet Seabass thinks it's acceptable to still have a very small number of teams and league/cup competitions on PES?

It is beyond ridiculous and unacceptable. I originally hated the PES 2008 demo but had hoped it might be a bit better on the finished version. However after reading opinions in several places I'm not even going to bother this year. FIFA 08 has much better gameplay but several other bugs, errors and lazy programming from EA as usual aswell so this year it seems I'm stuck with PS2 PES6 until these people start pulling their fingers out of their arses and stop ripping people off.

And that game bloody cheats just as 2008 does aswell.

Is it too much to ask for a decent god damn footie game on these amazing consoles? It seems so.

Last edited:
i think this game is superb and gets better as you play it. Excekkent gameplay and you can really play some decent football. The bestbit are the one off things that happen like the ball fizzing accross the line and ur striker just missing it..the hitting the posts and the goalmouth scranbles...excellent game and ive been playin pro evo since iss on the n64

EA have already released a patch for FIFA 08 that corrects many of the little problems fans were complaining about and they were by no means, big issues. Why the freak can't Konami listen to their fans for once and do something about correcting bugs???

Back
Top Bottom