* Pro Evo 2008 (XB360) First Impressions and Thoughts Thread *

ive not played enough to know all the squads but kenny miller is still at celtic and yakubu at middlesboro, i tried to ditch kenny miller at derby but i had to take one of their players, some of the positions are wrong as well for celtic players

first impressions, i fucking like it.
gameplay is great
graphics are good
replays are shit
edit mode is shit *edit* alreet
keepers are good - much better than the demo
and lawro is a fucking queer

Last edited:
Too fast at the mo for me, also stupid free kicks given away.no real premship again no nike balls still the same old master league servers at the mo on 360 are shite and the lag is bad.On the up side dribbling is much better and headers from crossing has improved alot and there does seem to be a bit more fliud passing this time around:) rant over

anyone know if there are are differences with the 360 version and the ps2 version?

or are they both the same this year?

My early thoughts on the game (I've played about 10 15 minute games, with a human opponent and the computer). I'll start with the negatives.

-

Gameplay is quick
Positioning and movement sense in general of players isn't clever
Goalkeepers do parry quite a few shots in the danger area
Graphics would look OK if players weren't too shiny, they look like they're made out of plasticine
The long waiting time (referee's whistle) to restart the game for a set-piece is frustrating
No balanced option in the formation setting menu, so setting your team out your way can take ages, I hope people save theirs for when they go online
Other things that need work: Penalties, Stadiums (more), Edit Mode, Commentary (timing), Sound

+

You can dictate how you wanna play the game better
Defending and goalkeeping is somewhat of an improvement from the last game
Better control of players, easier with movement, sharp turns etc
Shooting is a lot better
Refereeing decisions in general seem to be good
Formation setting is expansive, the more the options, the better

I do like it. I gave up on PES6. It wasn’t to my liking at all. I’m definitely gonna give this one some more time.

The editing is a disgrace, whether you like this or not it has become a vital part of the series and is liked by many. This time it has been castrated.

I can only think KONAMI have been faced with major copyright/licensing issues, hence no adidas three stripes and no sponsor editing etc.

I think that is exactly what happened. The Premie League, Nike, Puma and other equipment and kit makers said to Konami something like "If you ever want the rights to our products in the future, you better do something about the editing system." I do not have the game because I am in the States and have an 360, but I am already frustrated with the game because of Seabass' dishonesty. Be honest and tell us why the editing sucks, be honest and hold the game back (like Rockstar did with GTA IV)when it is so clearly not ready, be honest and say your team is too lazy or incompetent to put more than 15 stadiums, or tell us why this is the only major sports game with a franchise mode that uses "regenerated" players. Face it, EA is your competition -- they somehow manage to put over 115 college football stadiums in NCAA08 -- heck, I'd settle for the 32 stadiums in Madden. Rooney is on my leader board TWICE for goals scored. If EA did that with Madden or NBA Live, people would howl with laughter -- if LeBron James kept getting regenerated, people would set copies of NBA Live on fire in public. How about much more simple things -- Why, with 10 minutes to go in the second leg of a Euro Semi can't I know what the aggregate score is by just looking in the top corner? Who has the best minutes per goal scored ratio? Who is the third highest goal scorer during a career on my team? When I get to 2014 in the Master League with Manchester Cit.. oh wait, Man Blue, why can't I tell how many times Elano has won the WEFA Cup, the League Cup, the League, etc. It ain't that hard. :nono: Why award Golden Boots and Best Player designations without a way to see if my guy has ever won one without scrolling through the Team Info page. How many goals has your player scored in all comps -- if he ain't top 20, you'll never know.

Seabass, like many of us, has gotten lazy with success. EA is slowly gaining ground -- it still is not there yet in my opinion, but is probably just a couple years away. If FIFA can have 14,000 real players, why can't Konami have 10,000 fake ones instead of Ronald Koeman on the all time assist leader board three times. WHERE IS THE EFFORT HERE??:mad:

Last edited:
game is slightly too fast for my liking

love the player faces

replays are awful, worse stutter than gareth gates

no slowdown in game for me (i use 40" sony bravia lcd)

awful music (turned it off)

edit mode isn't great

my overall opinion is i like it, but could and should have been soooooooo much better this year

fifa wins this year for me

Last edited:
starting to really enjoy the game now, still abit too fast but it's great

although fifa gameplay is great, i love the pro evo face/body models

its not too bad, editing as a pain in the arse but its not too bad, there are nike balls in the game but you only use them if your using the spanish teams i think, dunno bout the rest of the balls tho

The gameplay is by far the worst I have ever experienced on a Pro Evo/ISS game. It is like old style FIFA. I was playing my mate earlier as Man City and he was United and with Giggs, Tevez and Rooney all he had to do was sprint at my defence and I couldn't do anything about it. What happened to the idea that when you sprint you have less control over the ball?

It is far too easy to score. I remember the amazing 0-0 classics on the early PS2 version of PES. Now all you need to do is give it to your fastest player and run into the space.

Just a few points about the game:

- The presentation is woeful, the menu system is like something out of the 90's.
- Konami have put naff all effort into the unlicenced teams in the game. Man City are still playing in last season's kits.
- The game is stupidly fast.
- Replays and online are ridiculous (did they not test them!)
- The sound is woeful.
- Edit mode is crap.
- No English stadiums.
- Stupid camera angle when defending a penalty.

For those of you who are saying stop moaning the game is alright you need to open your eyes. We are being taken for a ride. £40 for this "next-gen" game is unbelievable. £40 for a game that you can't play online and can't watch the replays. Surely we have got to expect better than this?

Konami know that themselves and EA have a duopoly in the football game market. They are guaranteed a huge number of sales, so why put the effort in? When were the best Pro Evo games? When we had games like This is Football around too.

If someone had asked me when I was playing ISS 98 what I thought PES would be like in 10 years I definitely wouldn't have expected it to be like this!

Bye bye PES hello FIFA.

balls^^^ fifa is unplayable and fels nowt like football, it may look great but plays shite

Couldn't disagree more. I think that statement has held pretty true for the past 15 years but things are very different this year. FIFA feels and plays like a football simulation. It rewards posession play and you need to pass and pass and pass to entice the opposition out. PES is a twitchy arcadey mess. It's frantic to the point of being laughably unrealistic.

fifa is great, can't see how people on here don't even like it not even a little bit

pro evo frustrates at times but still plays great, lack of editing is a killer.....this has always been a big plus point for me

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of the posts that this version feels good but is just too fast and plays more like an arcade game with less emphasis on passing. Like Jack Bauer said when he first got the game he was relatively impressed with the speed and it wasn't as bad as he thought.

I thought the same until I played my friend who is about the same level as me (both been playing since ISS on SNES) caned me 4-0 with Barca Vs Valencia - I couldnt get near Messi or Ronaldinho - dribbling was insane)

Now don't get me wrong I am pissed about this version (have heard PS3 version plays better) but I just want to get the best out of the game.

What I have found as a slight compromise is playing on wide and then putting both teams conditions to terrible - this slows the game right down and makes it harder to score/dribble - feels more liek Fifa 08 with better response times.

Don't know if anyone else has tried this? Is there any way to set this for competitions as I can only do in exhibitions...

Sorry for the long post and I am posting in both forums as people seems to look at both..

The gameplay is by far the worst I have ever experienced on a Pro Evo/ISS game. It is like old style FIFA. I was playing my mate earlier as Man City and he was United and with Giggs, Tevez and Rooney all he had to do was sprint at my defence and I couldn't do anything about it. What happened to the idea that when you sprint you have less control over the ball?

It is far too easy to score. I remember the amazing 0-0 classics on the early PS2 version of PES. Now all you need to do is give it to your fastest player and run into the space.

Just a few points about the game:

- The presentation is woeful, the menu system is like something out of the 90's.
- Konami have put naff all effort into the unlicenced teams in the game. Man City are still playing in last season's kits.
- The game is stupidly fast.
- Replays and online are ridiculous (did they not test them!)
- The sound is woeful.
- Edit mode is crap.
- No English stadiums.
- Stupid camera angle when defending a penalty.

For those of you who are saying stop moaning the game is alright you need to open your eyes. We are being taken for a ride. £40 for this "next-gen" game is unbelievable. £40 for a game that you can't play online and can't watch the replays. Surely we have got to expect better than this?

Konami know that themselves and EA have a duopoly in the football game market. They are guaranteed a huge number of sales, so why put the effort in? When were the best Pro Evo games? When we had games like This is Football around too.

If someone had asked me when I was playing ISS 98 what I thought PES would be like in 10 years I definitely wouldn't have expected it to be like this!

Bye bye PES hello FIFA.

Absolutely correct:applause:

Ive always been a massive Pro Evo fan so I bought it yesterday and gave it a fair chance my verdict is that it is total crap! The editor is next to useless and the speed s totally unrealistic and similar to the way Fifa was years ago . Gone are the great 1-0 wins or 0-0 draws over 15 minutes. I scored a goal with France in seconds I played it on to the right wing sprinted crossed the ball and scored its to easy to score.
I cant believe there is slowdown of frame rate on a next generation console. :twisted:
After playing it for about 4 hours I put on Fifa 08 and was left in no doubt about what’s the best game. I was never into playing Fifa much but this years superb apart from the through ball you need to change the setting to manual. As for pro Evo Konami have totally destroyed a great game engine its a cheap and nasty my copy is now back at Game ill stick to Pro Evo 6 on the PC Konami seem unable to make the jump up to the Next generation.

well first off ive been playing pes since the begining and always been loyal to pes as it was no doubt been the better of the two footy games but this year seabass has out done him self in putting out one poor exscuse of a game.First off the online play how the hell can you play a footy game with this much lag did they test this game online at all and if they did had the tester been on the piss the whole time? one hell of a mess.Next up the speed of the game is just to fast its like playing a pinball game and the fouls i gave away or should i say what cpu side off my team gave away is a joke.Then the big one the real kits why o why do we have every year have piss poor english teams we had man u last year where have they gone chelsea were all logoed up they have gone why the hell can we not have all real kits by now spain france etc have real kits why not english teams do they not like us english or what?I was also under the idea that 360 peeps this year would get a good edit mode what happend? .some one should have said wait this game is not finshed hold the reliease date but hay no lets just put it out and let mugs like me waste £37 on it WHat a joke. WHERE IS MY SENIBLE SOCCER GAME GONE???

Can someone explain how the chip shot works? In the commands list it says :

Chip show (Low) : X --> Gauge on RB

What does that mean? You press X then hold RB after shooting? How do you control the height?

Six Reasons Why I Hate PES2008 - The Movie

All about CPU cheating. I've provided this as proof that the CPU cheats but I can never prove it 100% because I'd have to have one camera recording the buttons I press on the pad as well, so believe it or don't believe it. But I'm hoping four years on these boards - and the fact that I've been bothered to record all of this and post it before I take the game back - shows that I deserve some trust.

(Apologies for posting in more than one thread, but I think it's relevant to each one I've posted it in)

I agree with a lot of the posts that this version feels good but is just too fast and plays more like an arcade game with less emphasis on passing. Like Jack Bauer said when he first got the game he was relatively impressed with the speed and it wasn't as bad as he thought.

The fast speed and dribbling are precisely why I like this version. I hated PES 6 and PES 7. The graphics could have been a LOT better and I'm annoyed by the fact that there aren't more camera angles, something in between close and medium would have been ideal. It's a shame you cannot switch to a different view when taking free kicks and saving penalties. Tackling is a real pain and the refs are, once again, too whistle happy. Overall best version since Winning Eleven 5.

Back
Top Bottom