* Pro Evo 2008 (XB360) First Impressions and Thoughts Thread *

Scutch

Futsal Master
31 October 2006
Cumbria, UK
Tottenham Hotspur
Please post your opinions and thoughts on all aspects of the game in here, to save people dancing around looking for user reviews, problems, slowdown they've encountered etc.

I know of 3 friends who are 50/50 with the PS3 version, mainly due to the slowdown and replay bug.

But this is the XBox360 thread \\:o/

As I said in the other thread.

Online mode is well dodgy at the moment, it's like the game is on speed, all that's required is the Benny Hill theme to be played in the background.

Yea I played online last night and it was crazy...

I dunno if this was because of the 'hyper online mode' - but my 1st 3 games were 4-3 and my 4th was 8-3 to me...I hope theyre not all that high scoring!

Other first impressions:
-keepers fumble too much
-in ML the players' stamina is terrible, after 3 games they can't run, they start to walk about the pitch because they're nackered!
-Edit mode is a bit of a let down...AGAIN! (I thought we were getting a stadium builder?)

As I said in the other thread.

Online mode is well dodgy at the moment, it's like the game is on speed, all that's required is the Benny Hill theme to be played in the background.

PMSL! The Benny Hill theme would surely make the game perfect?

At the moment I'm finding the game bland! And that's without thinking about the atrocious replays. They should have delayed the release and sorted that out. The gameplay has hardly, if at all, evolved since PES4 and it just feels like I've been playing this game for ages (when in fact I only had the game today).

To say I'm disappointed with Konami is an understatement. I really hope FIFA is better than PES next year as I've had enough of them releasing a game with so few changes and improvements while taking away more editing options.

Its been mentioned that Seabass and his team have resource issues and after playing the game you will be in doubt that this is true. Gutted.

I would write to Konami but it would be a complete waste of time... I sent a letter last year with some good ideas and not one have made into PES 2008.

the difficulty online is set to beginner so all the keepers and com controlled players online are terrible. (does that explain the high scores?) am i correct in thinking this?

Also the lag online is pathetic, completely unplayable.

offline its ok apart from the slow replays

The online problems are atrocious. At the moment it's an unplayable, jerky mess. Players suddenly appear 10 yards from where they were, I've seen the ball travelling one way, then suddenly appear 10 yards back along it's path!

The replays are just as bad. Whoever did QA on this should be shot!

The game itself is too fast for my liking. Shooting seems better - not so many ballooned shots from 2 yards out. Passing seems ok, although the ball appears to just skate across the surface.

Dribbling is way too easy, and the tackles (apart from sliding tackles) are ineffective. I've spent most of one half the other night chasing a single com player around the park and being unable to get the ball, as he kept turning round (the players change direction too quickly) and my ineffectual tackles did nothing.

Free kicks are still poor, heading is better, and at least Com players don't catch you as qucik when you get past them. You still can't tackle from behind at all.

There are a few good points, but many more bad points. To me it's like Seabass & co gave up after about Pro Evo 4. The game doesn't seem to have evolved much, and the presentation just seems to get worse. They really need to hire a professional to design the menus and such, instead of the 5 year old they currently rely on.

Some of the 'new' master league stuff seems just thrown in for the sake of it. When you start a master league, you get a picture of one of your players, and some text saying "Player x talks about the new season". I thought, cool, I'll be able to click on that and hear some of his thoughts, maybe there's a bit of a media element to this new ML. NO! that's all you get. What the **** does "player x talks about the new season" add to the game? At least have something like "Player x has high hopes for the new season". It makes me cringe!

I have both fifa and pro evo and I've been asked by mates which they should get, which is better etc etc. I need more time with both, both have flaws i think despite having the better faces pro evo is a bit sticky - players seem rigid?? i think the atmousphere is severely lacking...the biggest selling point for me was the fact that the toon are licensed! well done konami!

This is a major disappointment, I have been a fan of Pro Evo from the very start. October has always been a great month!

NOT this one!

Gameplay, apart from a couple of new tricks has not moved on (don't mention A1 it's more like the B342), it is far too fast.

The editing is a disgrace, whether you like this or not it has become a vital part of the series and is liked by many. This time it has been castrated.

I can only think KONAMI have been faced with major copyright/licensing issues, hence no adidas three stripes and no sponsor editing etc.

KONAMI - get your act together, not good enough, you owe me £39.99

EA Sports - excellent effort, keep it up.

2008 is dead, long live 2009

When playing online the difficulty is set to beginner? does that mean all the com controlled players, including keepers will play rubbish?

This is a major disappointment, I have been a fan of Pro Evo from the very start. October has always been a great month!

NOT this one!

Gameplay, apart from a couple of new tricks has not moved on (don't mention A1 it's more like the B342), it is far too fast.

The editing is a disgrace, whether you like this or not it has become a vital part of the series and is liked by many. This time it has been castrated.

I can only think KONAMI have been faced with major copyright/licensing issues, hence no adidas three stripes and no sponsor editing etc.

KONAMI - get your act together, not good enough, you owe me £39.99

EA Sports - excellent effort, keep it up.

2008 is dead, long live 2009

Sums it up perfectly mate.

:applause:

I haven't got the game - but these reviews are really making me sad.

Although I like Fifa this year - I was hoping that PES would do something and still be a good game.

For me with the lack of licences and the problems with importing option files - the gameplay needs to be extrememly better than Fifa - and it really doesn't sound like it is.

A great thing about PES aswell was there replay system. It showed all the main replays and the end of the half and also the round up of the whole game at the end of the match. Very rarely did they miss out a key point in the game.

In fifa the replays are dissapointing - they miss out the good chances most of the time and the end of game highlights seem to be of the second half only. aLot of the time it really messes up and you only see one highlight.

So knowing that replays on PES are now poor - it just adds salt into the wounds.

I really hope some more good reviews come into this thread.

playing with my friend all day yesterday it was great fun,
still i think the game is way to fast,
the replay its so bad to the point that saving a goal its not point anymore, & that was something we all missed on pes6xbox360, (what i don't understant is that in pes6 xbox360 the highlits & the speed of the game was fine, why did konami change it for the worst???)
online its bad at the moment,
edit mode its the same as it was in pes2 very limited.
overall it is dissepointing game, but i still preffer it over fifa08, sins i need a football game to play, i ll have to deal with its problems, till next year,
oh got its gonnabe a loooooooooooooong year

i played pes6 on the xbox 360 for a full year and pes 2008 is much better.
i have owned every single version of konamis football series (iss,winning eleven,pro evo,) and i like it.

too many moaners in here, ill give my honest opinions on it

i bought it at midnight last night and had 3 games before bed,

i wont go into detail on replays, there jittery,the commentary, slight improvement, sound, same as always, i played my opening game on normal as celtic v rangers, i noticed it was quite difficult to get the ball from them, appling pressure with x and square isnt as effective as it used to be, do this and the opposition will exploit you, you have to track their runners as they make better runs, the lofted through ball has been perfected and works a treat if you time it right, the passing is nippy, i was 1-1 at full time, in extra time i started hitting more long range shots but found the keeper spilling 3 of my long rangers for my on running player to tap in, they seem a bit butter fingered, 4-1 to me, if you can see past the liscences and dodgy replays, then its a must, its still a massive improvement on last years effort ( 360 ) and is highly enjoyable, not perfect by any means, but still head and shoulders above its nearest competitor on actual gameplay, and at the end of the day, thats what its all about

I have to disagree with everyone in here. I just went by Virgin to pick up my copy and the store was full of guys playing PES. To be honest none of the problems spoken of here were to seen or talked about by anyone in there. I played 3 games and won all :). The dribbling is insanely good. I took Messi on a marvelous long run weaving pass defender after defender. I am assuming the problems show up when u play against the Computer. Anyway, I will play more then I will be better able to give a review.

I think the bottom line for me is that when playing this with a mate its brilliant...FIFA 08 owns this when looking at one player games though, FIFA is innovative and is improving every year...

PES...as much as it pains me to say it...is dying a death and needs something for next year because I think Fifa are not that far behind anymore...

and before anyway calls me a fanboy ive owned every single pes and iss title since the SNES originals

just a quick question, does the 360 version have the same editing options as the ps2 version? as we all know pes6 on the 360 had piss poor editing options and if this is still the case i will avoid

Really not enjoying the game at all sadly. Been a huge, huge fan since the ISS series, and every version has taken a while to settle in with me, but this one just isn't happening.

Oh well, sh*t happens I guess, Fifa's gonna win it for me this time around, at least there's one good game this year.

I'm still torn between the two - fifa looks good but pro evo is well pro evo - dumbed down edit mode or not.
At least it's an improvement on the last pro evo 6 shambles I just hope it's not going to be a money making scheme to release better features bit by bit year by year.

Theres a few people talking about how slow it runs - mines fast a little too fast to be honest but it's makes a nice change from sluggish fifa controls.

Options aside, such as Editing et al, I have played 4 or so games so far as Spurs (and added Scutchio as a striker - edited of course)

I have to say, the game so far is 'different' to PES6 on PS2.

The graphics seem sharper and the detail is superb. Its certainly harder, but the shooting is much better, the passing I havent really got used to yet, but seems to work well, the speed and ability to take on players is great too. I scored a fantastic goal with Berbatov; picking the ball up outside the box, he was surrounded by 3 or 4 West Ham players and he bumped around past them all into the box, stopping the ball dead to avoid the last defender then cut back inside past him and put it in off the post. Great goal.

I'm really enjoying it at the moment. True, some of the replays are hit and miss, and that needs sorting out considering the time and effort that has apparently gone into the game, but as a football sim it seems tip top. Also, I cant really tell the difference in speed between this and PES6 to be honest.

Going well so far though. Pleased with the gameplay aspect. Editing and the like I'm undecided, as my PES6 on PS2 was patched with so many new features, and I'll certainly miss them unless I buy the PS2 version too :)

Editing and the like I'm undecided, as my PES6 on PS2 was patched with so many new features, and I'll certainly miss them unless I buy the PS2 version too :)

thats what i am undecided on whether or not to buy the xbox or ps2 version. last year i bought the xbox360 pes only to take it back cos it was shit in all honesty, and i had the ps2 version. the problem is i want to experience next gen gaming i hardly play the 360 and was expecting this years version to be on par with the ps2 in the editing options. so what exactly can u edit this time around. i am dying to get the game but will wait to hear a few coments before i go to town 2 get a copy

thats what i am undecided on whether or not to buy the xbox or ps2 version. last year i bought the xbox360 pes only to take it back cos it was shit in all honesty, and i had the ps2 version. the problem is i want to experience next gen gaming i hardly play the 360 and was expecting this years version to be on par with the ps2 in the editing options. so what exactly can u edit this time around. i am dying to get the game but will wait to hear a few coments before i go to town 2 get a copy

treat yourself and buy them both :) got mine off www.shopto.net, much cheaper than most!!

treat yourself and buy them both :) got mine off www.shopto.net, much cheaper than most!!

i wish i could!
i cant really afford both, it just boils down to the in game editing options. as long as i can edit the teams and save replays i will be quite happy, been playing the xbox360 demo of pes all day and despite being a little arcade-like i am enjoying the game

i had a quick go on editing on the 360 last night, not an awful lot to play with, although the font for the puma kits is in there

are the squads up to date (knowing konami they most prob are not!) for example is yakubu at everton, etc. if the squads are out of date can you update them? and finally can you save replays? cheers

Yeah you can edit squads this time round which is a real saving grace as I can finally haul Stewart Downing out of the England squad, and yes you can save replays, scored a scorcher of a volley with MG Pedersen on Wednesday with my first match with Blackburn.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the game. Yeah there's a bit of slowdown on some replays but I'm enjoying the gameplay at the moment. Also the game is actually a challenge on the hardest difficulty now, I've just started my Master League and there's just nothing more satisfying than slotting one past the goalie with Castolo in the last min after fending off a highly superior squad for 89 minutes.

My only real gripe is with the lag issue on Live but apparently that'll be patched withing a couple of weeks so until then Master Leauge will keep me occupied. Also there's no way of changing kits before a match during a competition which can be a bit of a pain in the balls sometimes, the editing thing doesn't really concern me as all i ever do is change the Blackbrun kit and give teams and statia their correct names. Overall 9 out of 10. A very playable game of football.

Back
Top Bottom