PES 2020 Rumours Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me a nitpicker purist, but I have always liked more the Japanese denominations for positions. They even look more aesthetic/organic in the formation screen: LWG, RWG, LSB, RSB, ST, OMF :))).
I appreciate what you're saying but those position abbreviations just look jarring to me as i grew up on PS2 PES :D

To be honest I rather have less info and more legit news than the usual hype that was made up the last years.
Precisely. If all you had to go on was the official press releases from the horses mouth, there's less muddying of the waters and less confusion/disappointment.

agreed, Pes 5 wasn't made from the community and it was a big success, its the developers that need replaced, they suck!
Exactly, could you imagine if Movie Studio's started changing their entire directions and plots based on fans criticism? Of course Sonic is the trending example but i feel sometimes, you've just got to let creators present you with their vision. PES 5 was critically acclaimed but there's no denying PES 6 was designed with some of the complaints about PES 5 being "too hard."

What's clear to me, anyway, is PES badly needs vision. It needs a design philosophy, core principles, and a team willing to work in order to realize that vision. More than anything, this is what it lacks. That's evident when you find out snippets (through Adam and Asim), such as that data gets fed up to the executives along the lines of "We did a questionnaire and x% of respondents like having PA2 and PA3 in the game."

Satisfying popular demand is just a pure market strategy. It's not about love of the art, pride in the product. "Give the fans what they want" is an unhelpful slogan: in business, it becomes "satisfy those who pay the most"; in fan forums it becomes "satisfy us, the real fans who have stuck through thick and thin". A battle is then conceived; a fight for the attention of Konami between the sweaty online crowd and the holier-than-thou offline crowd.

My vain hope is that the PR silence indicates a more determinate, closed process behind the scenes, which isn't about pleasing the paying majority. But I've got no basis on which to say that. The thing about silence is you can fill it with your own noise very quickly.
It's a byproduct of trying to please everyone unfortunately.

Sometimes you get these problems with any kind of art or media product you release when you try to listen to and please everyone, in the end you get a disjointed and inconsistent product. But sometimes you can't commit with your original artistic vision, because you're at the mercy of investors and corporations who want to make money at the end of the day so you end up butting heads and compromising. Musicians, Game Developers, Film Directors & Screen Writers, you name it. It's rarely ever 100% the original vision you had. And if it is, then it's not going to make us much money but will be critically acclaimed.

I've said it before but as a creator, you can either have integrity or fame/money but it's very rare to have both

This is what i want when i'm talking about dev interviews or behind the scenes videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSvsYMTq9E

Looking at the videos i noticed one fact. All these video except the last two are all coming from Seabass. It gives you a feeling Seabass was much more happy to directly communicate with fans and show them how they worked on Pes. Starting from Pes 2015 (the new Myclub Pes gen) they completely closed official communication with developers, we just have some interviews around E3 time with Hosoda, that is not actually one of the developers, but just a project manager. These days i don't know who is the guy taking decision where to take Pes next: is there even a vision by developers or is Pes now designed by managers with the only purpose to rob as much money as possible from addicted Myclub players?

Sadly i think i know the answer and i really don't like it.

Last edited:
I tried to get in touch with Seabass last year, like... A LOT. I really did search to see where he's working now and whatnot. I couldn't get any information at all. He's not on social media, and there's no recent info about him on Google.

where is konami ?

southhallv6jfn.png

westhallzfji2.png

I found a Twitter account. Last post from April 2014.
https://twitter.com/seabassosama

And moby games lists him as a Senior Director for as late as PES 2018
https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,173383/
Yeah obviously his Twitter was the first thing to come up, but it surprised me how long he's been inactive. I also sent him a message on Facebook, but nothing came back. But the Twitter account you posted there isn't Seabass'. That's a fake one.

I know for a fact that usually Game Developers or people involved in high profile games tend not to be on social media. Even the designers or the artists. They shy away from that because as soon as someone figures out they work on X game, it's the end of their privacy and people will start spamming them to do this or that.

I didn't know about the moby games though, so that's good news... at least he's alive!

This is what i want when i'm talking about dev interviews or behind the scenes videos

Looking at the videos i noticed one fact. All these video except the last two are all coming from Seabass. It gives you a feeling Seabass was much more happy to directly communicate with fans and show them how they worked on Pes.
Wow, thanks for sharing these, i've been looking for these since i began my retro pilgrimage last year. Takes me back though, back when i was younger, didn't have a child or a job and was just religiously obsessed with PES and what the new game was gonna look and feel like. I watched all of these the day they came out and i'm probably gonna get a bit nostalgic and a bit depressed too.

There's real simple and amateurish charm about this dev videos though. Their not exactly state of the art or have the glossy production that EA's do when it came to showcasing the next FIFA shill. It really does drive home that mysterious, Japanese ethic of a rare peek behind the curtain of their development process but it's also raw, grass roots feel on sharing updates with the public. The industry is completely different now.

I tried to get in touch with Seabass last year, like... A LOT. I really did search to see where he's working now and whatnot. I couldn't get any information at all. He's not on social media, and there's no recent info about him on Google.
Yeah there's something about Japanese culture and being so protective & respective of your privacy as well as being contempt with not having that need to share every last piece of yourself with the world via social media, that people over there seem to become ghosts if they really want to.

Yeah obviously his Twitter was the first thing to come up, but it surprised me how long he's been inactive. I also sent him a message on Facebook, but nothing came back. But the Twitter account you posted there isn't Seabass'. That's a fake one.

I know for a fact that usually Game Developers or people involved in high profile games tend not to be on social media. Even the designers or the artists. They shy away from that because as soon as someone figures out they work on X game, it's the end of their privacy and people will start spamming them to do this or that.

I didn't know about the moby games though, so that's good news... at least he's alive!

Yeah, I was confused by the mainly Spanish tweets. Makes sense that it‘s some other person‘s account.

I also thought about whether he was still alive. Perhaps that Senior Director is only an honorary title...

Last edited:
Yeah there's something about Japanese culture and being so protective & respective of your privacy as well as being contempt with not having that need to share every last piece of yourself with the world via social media, that people over there seem to become ghosts if they really want to.

I firmly believe that cultural differences are the main ‚culprit‘ for the frustrations we have with the company and the game. And this is not only related to the communication policy (or lack thereof). In the other thread @avok23 mentioned that these differences have an effect even on how the game’s data is structured and organized.

Yeah, I was confused by the mainly Spanish tweets. Makes sense that it‘s some other person‘s account.

I also thought about whether he was still alive. Perhaps that Senior Director is only an honorary title...

Well now that you mention it, I remember that way back when there was a natural catastrophe in Japan (can't remember what it was really) it was rumoured that Seabass had passed away. I can't quite recall if it was confirmed to be true or not.

A couple of years ago Adam posted a tweet showing a photo with Seabass. He is still there but in no developing role. Probably Konami thinks he is not useful anymore.

A couple of years ago Adam posted a tweet showing a photo with Seabass. He is still there but in no developing role. Probably Konami thinks he is not useful anymore.

You sure it was Seabass?
Because one time I saw a picture (maybe this one) and I thought it was Seabass working at Konami again, but it was Manorito Hosoda... hahaa, I always kind of mix them up.

upload_2019-5-16_12-35-59.jpeg

Well now that you mention it, I remember that way back when there was a natural catastrophe in Japan (can't remember what it was really) it was rumoured that Seabass had passed away. I can't quite recall if it was confirmed to be true or not.
I think that was the 2011 Tsunami? I do remember all anyone gave a shit about was whether the game would be delayed rather than the terrific loss of life.

Yeah he retweeted that last week, Apparently he's still there and overseeing PES although lord knows what that means exactly...

I think that was the 2011 Tsunami? I do remember all anyone gave a shit about was whether the game would be delayed rather than the terrific loss of life.

Yeah he retweeted that last week, Apparently he's still there and overseeing PES although lord knows what that means exactly...

Are you talking about this status? Because if you are.... it's from 2016, you know...

Seabass&Murphy two guys who can safe this series...

You're all gonna roll your eyes but I wouldn't mind someone like Dave Rutter. Someone who has worked on the other game, knows things inside out. I think he did a great job on that Road To The World Cup game (was it 2010?) where
you had to play qualifiers in a shitty stadium on Faroer Islands on a bumpy and drenched pitch. If I am not mistaken it was also the first FIFA with scenarios. I don't remember how the gameplay was, but the whole game was very atmospheric and broke with existing formulas.

Pr

Pretty sure it was Fukushima as it was 2011 and I remember that a lot of people worried about the development of Pes.

Then Seabass always has been there. Maybe Konami decided to hide him after the PS3/Xbox360 era.
Fox Engine was a new begining and everything had to feel fresh.

This is important. I really believe that Asim "lying" about dynamic lighting is not a lie, but simply the Japanese dev team not managing to make it in time. We also saw a tech demo at GDC (i seem to remember it was there) where they showed the dynamic lighting working in Pes, but probably didn't have enough time to optimize it. So, they really were trying to implement dynamic lighting, they communicated this, but in the end we just had lighting changes at half time.
Well, it'll be interesting to see whether PES 2020 will finally have a dynamic time of day. If not, it's not about a lack of development time...

Every year, every pes, i roll the credits to get one glimpse of Seabass mentioned, and over the years his name and role in credit and in konami has been relegated to oblivion (i dont think ive see him mentioned in the credits of 2019). The PERSON who is synonymous to PES, became the victim of the turbulent administrative disaster that is the modern day Konami.

Well, it'll be interesting to see whether PES 2020 will finally have a dynamic time of day. If not, it's not about a lack of development time...

I'm certain there will be moving clouds above the pitch and lighting changes. You can quote me on that later on in the year.

I'm certain there will be moving clouds above the pitch and lighting changes. You can quote me on that later on in the year.
It'll look beauty, especially in timelapse shots. Imo it's nice addon but I think there are a lot more interesting areas to spend cpu/gpu/ram resources.

Thing is with real-time lighting in a football game is that time is not linear like with a GTA game for example. If you have a game that is 10 minutes in length and one in 20 minutes, would the lighting change too quickly and look unrealistic in a shorter match? Last thing I want to see is a time-lapse as I'm playing a game.

Thing is with real-time lighting in a football game is that time is not linear like with a GTA game for example. If you have a game that is 10 minutes in length and one in 20 minutes, would the lighting change too quickly and look unrealistic in a shorter match? Last thing I want to see is a time-lapse as I'm playing a game.

Totally agree. What i would prefer - and yes its not different from FIFA - but the ability to set the time of the matches. There this could shine and could add more variety.

I have to say, as a general point: people have said it was the fault of the development team because they had to cut out dynamic lighting late in the process, as though this fully absolves the people in charge of communicating things. Well that's the problem with Konami and their communication strategy, it's not that they make mistakes or have to cut things, all studios do that; the problem is that they then try to be deceitful about it, sweep it under the rug and hope that no-one notices until after release. If those interfacing with the community are being instructed to be dishonest and lie by omission (i.e. ignoring hundreds of Tweets asking a question about feature X) then they are not worthy of anyone's respect, and it reflects poorly on Konami as a whole.

If the edit mode is getting some love this year, except the usual wished stadium editors , separate face-hairstyle, etc, it is is crucial for those/us who make kits to have back to dual font letters-numbers, those with the dual color, one for inner line and one for outer line, which he had back in ps2-era, cause creating kits with striped shirts is a pain, when number has the same color as the base kit color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom