PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I've gone from liking it,to not liking it,then liking it,really liking it and finally hating it.
Simply because of all promise it had,how it looks,and it's just a mess right now.

If I play 10 ML games,I'd probably have 3-4 good ones.
The rest is just messy,scripted,defending feels like trying to put together two magnets with different polarities
And no matter how good I defend,they will always get a short pass in to the box and score.
Between/through players,it doesn't matter,the pass goes a striker who 8/10 scores a top shelf (right side) goal.

I saw a clip from TTB yesterday (really? him as commentary?)
And he was playing Vs Arsenal on a souped up pc version (plays amazing he says)
Both goals conceded,top shelf right corner...
Who knew?

And no matter how good I defend,they will always get a short pass in to the box and score.
Thats becuae your defenders get automatically dragged out of position and create a ton of space. I had this sorted by using the scond defender before the latest patch but the latest patch made it almost impossible to defend it again. I conceded 3 goals in 2 games that i could do nothing about. I could see it coming probably 2 passes beofre the final pass low into the box and then bang in it goes. Not played it since.

Thats becuae your defenders get automatically dragged out of position and create a ton of space. I had this sorted by using the scond defender before the latest patch but the latest patch made it almost impossible to defend it again. I conceded 3 goals in 2 games that i could do nothing about. I could see it coming probably 2 passes beofre the final pass low into the box and then bang in it goes. Not played it since.
I usually send one Def out to the guy trying to pass,then control one of my Def (closest to the one I think will finish) but it doesn't matter,the pass ends up where it wants to.
Either my defender doesn't react,or takes a step in the wrong direction,or it goes between my legs for a goal.

Worst attacking AI (inside and just outside my box) I've seen.

Chief´s commentary didn´t sound like a love declaration to me. I think everybody in here sees the glaring issues and the tons of unused potential which Konami doesn´t activate for a certain reason.

As a consumer who just wants to play the best suiting football game available, you have to select one of EAs or Konami´s products thrown at the market in the last years (unless you get completely exotic). Little differences in expectations and preferences can decide if you put PES2019 or PES5 in your machine. After all, on full manual and with toned down stats PES2019 does the best job of transporting football feeling to me. But i am surely not "in love" with it, as there still so much sloppy work in it.

Good post.

I couldn´t enjoy the game on vanilla with all the basic settings.
It´s the mentioned mods plus a zoomed out camera view, which is very important to me.
Full manual, game speed -1 and no difficulty above professional.

Those settings are necessary to me.

And as you say...same with me...even I do enjoy the game, I´m totally aware of the sloppy programming and all the stuff that´s been missing and hasn´t been implemented very well.
This game with my personal settings is unfortunately the best footy game at the moment, for me.

I usually send one Def out to the guy trying to pass,then control one of my Def (closest to the one I think will finish) but it doesn't matter,the pass ends up where it wants to.
Nothing annoys me more than when someone says "it's your fault for not doing [whatever]". The AI just never, ever makes a mistake and you have to be equally perfect in order to achieve anything - against a bloody Championship team with donkeys for players. That's not right.

The forced CPU goal annoy me as well - every single time. But i have to say that every football game i know had at least one much worse issue.

PES2010: No full manual control
PES2011: No full manual control
PES2012: No full manual control
PES2013: AI awareness to lose balls exploitable, no high deflections
PES2014: CPU headless dribbling straight into the defence
PES2015: Step back in animation quality and physics
PES2016: Insane passive AI
PES2017: AI to easy exploitable, prehistoric passing physics
PES2018: Still good, pretty much the same faults as PES2019 while technically a little bit behind

Just to illustrate how a simple preference (like full manual) can delete a whole PES generation and drag customers towards another product.

Nothing annoys me more than when someone says "it's your fault for not doing [whatever]". The AI just never, ever makes a mistake and you have to be equally perfect in order to achieve anything - against a bloody Championship team with donkeys for players. That's not right.
It's programmed to be a goal/shot wide.
Doesn't matter what you do in situations like that.
I'd say that no other Pes game is as bad as this one when it comes to this.

I think you should be pretty cautious with a generalization. Even on legend difficulty you see a lot of misplaced passes/shots and every now and then even a defender who plays the ball directly in front of your strikers feet. Sometimes legend is very forgiving in a surprising way (you know when you are playing horrible on full manual).

The real problem to me is the loss of stats ratio and above all the unnatural forced CPU goals.

Like @chiefrocka4real I am playing this maxed out on the PC, just the fact that you can define the height, zoom and angle of the broadcast camera via sider and disable that silly zoom makes a huge difference, not to mention all the other add-ons.

Game infuriates me at times, in particular the fouls, the goalies, the scripted moments we all know, but overall I am still enjoying it, especially fiddling with the tactics and hunting for new players in ML

But, yes, if there was one thing I could make Konami optimize it would be to bring much more differentiation into the teams, not only in strength but also in playing styles. As it is right now it really often feels like you are playing the same team in different jerseys over and over again.

Like @chiefrocka4real I am playing this maxed out on the PC, just the fact that you can define the height, zoom and angle of the broadcast camera via sider and disable that silly zoom makes a huge difference, not to mention all the other add-ons.

Game infuriates me at times, in particular the fouls, the goalies, the scripted moments we all know, but overall I am still enjoying it, especially fiddling with the tactics and hunting for new players in ML

But, yes, if there was one thing I could make Konami optimize it would be to bring much more differentiation into the teams, not only in strength but also in playing styles. As it is right now it really often feels like you are playing the same team in different jerseys over and over again.
is that the so called "super elite" level!? i heard rumors... :SHOCK:

:LOL: ;)) ...i'm just in a very good mood today!

you still own that console!? :SHOCK:
let us know what you think when you played them! dont let nostalgica get you! ;)
AND, have fun (one of the most underrated factors these days ;) )!
I played them around September October the last time,Pes 12/13 still kicks ass,better ML,better menus,some stiffer animation.
As a whole,rather play them than 19 (right now,)
Yeah,I bought a used PS3 just to play them

Either my defender doesn't react,or takes a step in the wrong direction,or it goes between my legs for a goal.

Worst attacking AI (inside and just outside my box) I've seen.

I try this every time as well, whether online versus another player or versus the AI in ML.. I would say 9 times out of 10 the ball worms its way through to the attacker. Even if you are clearly in front of the striker and have hit square to clear it, the defender just ignores the ball, the striker gets to have a shot and its a goal. A friend of mine exploits the crap out of this when we play friendlies online and its so frustrating. You have to try and intercept the cross/pass about 5 yards in front of the striker or else you have no chance, and even then more often than not the defender won't actually clear it or acknowledge your attempts to clear it. Same with watching your players not challenge for headers from crosses or long balls, they just stand there no matter what you do. There is no excuse for this level of manipulation, the game is so weighted in the attackers favour it can be unbelievable. In real life many of these situations would be 50/50 balls but in PES 2019 they are more like 90/10 in the attacking teams favour. Something needs to be balanced out next year, strength and defensive capabilities need to be improved and the defensive AI needs to be made a hell of a lot more intelligent.

The worst part is, for the periods of time the game doesn't cheat or does react properly it really can be glorious. Get a decent footballing opponent and it really does shine. Unfortunately online they are few and far between and thats when you get to see just how many exploits and how heavily weighted Konami have made the attacking side of this game in comparison to the defensive side. My other pet peeve is the lob shots, I get that someone like Messi should be able to nail a chip or lob relatively regularly, but watching any player in the game run through and execute a perfect lob shot while your keeper just continues running forward is ridiculous. PES 2019 with improved and balanced defending and defensive AI, more intelligent keepers with the animations to deal with more situations and a more varied and team ID specific attacking AI would just be fantastic, make stats matter, cut out the PA 2/3 online and make it so you have to plan your passes a bit rather than just hitting X full power until you are one on one in front of goal. I guess what I am asking, Konami, make a football game that feels like a football match, with errors, mistakes and imperfections, make it a game of skill rather than spamming and exploits and for goodness sake make my defenders have more awareness than my local Sunday league side after 10 pints the night before.

I try this every time as well, whether online versus another player or versus the AI in ML.. I would say 9 times out of 10 the ball worms its way through to the attacker. Even if you are clearly in front of the striker and have hit square to clear it, the defender just ignores the ball, the striker gets to have a shot and its a goal. A friend of mine exploits the crap out of this when we play friendlies online and its so frustrating. You have to try and intercept the cross/pass about 5 yards in front of the striker or else you have no chance, and even then more often than not the defender won't actually clear it or acknowledge your attempts to clear it. Same with watching your players not challenge for headers from crosses or long balls, they just stand there no matter what you do. There is no excuse for this level of manipulation, the game is so weighted in the attackers favour it can be unbelievable. In real life many of these situations would be 50/50 balls but in PES 2019 they are more like 90/10 in the attacking teams favour. Something needs to be balanced out next year, strength and defensive capabilities need to be improved and the defensive AI needs to be made a hell of a lot more intelligent.

The worst part is, for the periods of time the game doesn't cheat or does react properly it really can be glorious. Get a decent footballing opponent and it really does shine. Unfortunately online they are few and far between and thats when you get to see just how many exploits and how heavily weighted Konami have made the attacking side of this game in comparison to the defensive side. My other pet peeve is the lob shots, I get that someone like Messi should be able to nail a chip or lob relatively regularly, but watching any player in the game run through and execute a perfect lob shot while your keeper just continues running forward is ridiculous. PES 2019 with improved and balanced defending and defensive AI, more intelligent keepers with the animations to deal with more situations and a more varied and team ID specific attacking AI would just be fantastic, make stats matter, cut out the PA 2/3 online and make it so you have to plan your passes a bit rather than just hitting X full power until you are one on one in front of goal. I guess what I am asking, Konami, make a football game that feels like a football match, with errors, mistakes and imperfections, make it a game of skill rather than spamming and exploits and for goodness sake make my defenders have more awareness than my local Sunday league side after 10 pints the night before.
You nailed my thoughts too mate
It's really a poor representation right now

Last edited:
Quite possibly - overplaying Pes19 killed it for me at the end.
If you jump in and out every few days its grand. But I was playing it constantly.
And at some point I just couldnt see anything else but one-dimensional, horrible AI with constant top shelf finishes.
Im sure people on PC with all the mods have different experience, but PS4 version, as it stands, is miserable.
No matter how good it feels on the ball, at the end of the day you play against another team. Anf if it wasnt for different kits, id think im playing the same team over and over again

is that the so called "super elite" level!? i heard rumors... :SHOCK:

:LOL: ;)) ...i'm just in a very good mood today!

Haha, sorry, yes, that sounded a bit elitist in fact, lol.

What I meant to say with „maxed“ out is that I am trying to add as many add-ons as possible to increase the immersion. With all the strip, turf, adboard, stadium, camera, scoreboard patches you get here, you can make the game look phenomenal, certainly on par if not better than FIFA (player models with scanned faces are better anway imo).

I guess all the eye candy sometimes makes you soft on the many glaring gameplay issues

Good evening all, I am back for some PES after a 6 year haitus from football games. I swear back when I played in the past a red arrow meant on form and was facing up and a blue arrow means flaking and was facing down. Now the colours seem to have flipped, which is good and which is bad?

Had a dodgy start in my first couple of games but enjoying it so far, I need to sort out my defending as my instincts are all from the ps2 era and the system is different now. R2 seems to do more on it's own than it used to in terms of dribbling which is cool. Gameplay seems really good using a recommended gameplay file, only thing I am surprised at is the ui, the table in the world cup mode would not be out of place in iss 98 N64 in terms of blandness.

How much do stats matter in terms of manual passing now?
Do player still get reincarnated in master league?

Cheers

Haha, sorry, yes, that sounded a bit elitist in fact, lol.

What I meant to say with „maxed“ out is that I am trying to add as many add-ons as possible to increase the immersion. With all the strip, turf, adboard, stadium, camera, scoreboard patches you get here, you can make the game look phenomenal, certainly on par if not better than FIFA (player models with scanned faces are better anway imo).

I guess all the eye candy sometimes makes you soft on the many glaring gameplay issues
I really was just kidding. :)
I am happy for the PC guys who can benefit from all the awesome modding stuff some others users created!!
Enjoy it my friend!!

Good evening all, I am back for some PES after a 6 year haitus from football games. I swear back when I played in the past a red arrow meant on form and was facing up and a blue arrow means flaking and was facing down. Now the colours seem to have flipped, which is good and which is bad?

Had a dodgy start in my first couple of games but enjoying it so far, I need to sort out my defending as my instincts are all from the ps2 era and the system is different now. R2 seems to do more on it's own than it used to in terms of dribbling which is cool. Gameplay seems really good using a recommended gameplay file, only thing I am surprised at is the ui, the table in the world cup mode would not be out of place in iss 98 N64 in terms of blandness.

Cheers
Well, that must be some serious rush dude!! :D

;)
Just follow the arrows direction. Colours mean nothing no more! Was better back then, imo.

Enjoy!

And welcome back to the community after all those years!! :BYE:

Quite possibly - overplaying Pes19 killed it for me at the end.
If you jump in and out every few days its grand. But I was playing it constantly.
And at some point I just couldnt see anything else but one-dimensional, horrible AI with constant top shelf finishes.
Im sure people on PC with all the mods have different experience, but PS4 version, as it stands, is miserable.
No matter how good it feels on the ball, at the end of the day you play against another team. Anf if it wasnt for different kits, id think im playing the same team over and over again

I've stopped playing it on console and even though their are plenty of gameplay mods on the PC the Ai is still annoyingly one dimensional..

I'm skipping PES 2020, and football games entirely unless either developer performs miracles.

Although it can have it's occasional good moments, this PES is so incredibly linear and scripted in terms of gameplay, and the game mode balance/design is just laughable. ML/BaL hardly need any explanation of how shitty and bare-bones they are; just play them for half a season...

Online modes... MyClub is the typical modern lootbox bullshit mode, but it's even more fucked than FUT because literally everyone has teams full of 90+ rated steroid-fuelled monsters... You might ask why I care, why not just not play it? Well... Online co-op mode (which I do play) lets these fuckers play against your normal rated real life team, which ends up being 99% of matches...

Even the one thing that was bringing me back to this game time and time again, ball physics, I've just grown tired of... For all the praise this aspect gets, it's so fucking basic/on-rails, shooting and passing, even on manual. There are like 3 or 4 ball spins/speeds/trajectories and the script just chooses one based on player traits and the angle/animation. After playing for long enough this just becomes so repetitive. The physics may look "realistic", but there's nothing dynamic about them based on many variables that can produce something unique and unexpected, except for the occasional spin on a deflected ball. Any time the ball is deliberately kicked/headed or even saved, you get the same old ball trajectories you have seen thousands of times.

On top of that, they have linked the ball "physics" directly to the player traits. The "weighted pass" trait means that any long ball that player strikes will be a slow, useless, floaty pass with zero incisiveness which means the recipient has to contest it in the air... AND THEY GIVE THIS TO 99% OF DECENT PLAYMAKERS.

Look at this manual pass with Bernardo Silva (doesn't have that trait);

(click for HD)

You CANNOT play this kind of ball with De Bruyne, D.Silva or Fernandinho because they have "weighted pass", which is supposed to be a positive/helpful trait... It's fucking not. At all.

Same goes for the "rising shot". I haven't seen a single one scored during my hundreds of games. All they do is keep the ball at an easier height for the keeper for longer. "Dipping shot" is a player trait as well, but triggers very rarely and it's kind of ridiculous that these are decided by a "trait" at all. Sunday League players can hit dipping or rising shots... This should be dynamic based on the incoming ball, run-up etc.

Just fed up with this and can't see myself playing much more of it this year, or being convinced by their next offering.

Last edited:

Cheers

PES used to give folks hope of something better.

That hope is threatened by poor new release, weak patches, lack of second divisions, poor communications.

The tools are right there on the screen but they aren't being used in a positive way for gamers.

If you've skipped 2014, 15, 17 I'd probs guide you to try those than waste time with a 2019 that can change from one week to the next with a patch.

Cheers

Good luck! If you are expecting deep, immersive gameplay, then forget any longevity with pes 2019.

Might visit these bad boys today.
My Pes 19 is officially retired from now on (unless it's patched to resemble some sort of football)
View attachment 13357

Respect!
God, I loved PES 2011.....having great memories about it.

Even did a goal compilation back then (dunno if that works with a facebook video):

Also PES 2010 and 2013. Somehow I didn´t really like 2012.
But those games were fine back then.
Me, as an animation fetishist, couldn´t play that games now.
But I´d love one of them as a mobile game.

So, really cool that you still have fun with them :) .

Respect!
God, I loved PES 2011.....having great memories about it.

Even did a goal compilation back then (dunno if that works with a facebook video):

Also PES 2010 and 2013. Somehow I didn´t really like 2012.
But those games were fine back then.
Me, as an animation fetishist, couldn´t play that games now.
But I´d love one of them as a mobile game.

So, really cool that you still have fun with them :) .
They are stiff as hell,but I think after a few games you'll see them for what they are,good and solid.
Yes Pes 2011 was a game that I probably had my toughest career on
As Blackpool,avoided relegation with one point season 1,3-4 points second season!

I mainly play these off and on,can't stand that PS3 ,that's my main issue, controller from hell:)

I'm skipping PES 2020, and football games entirely unless either developer performs miracles.

Although it can have it's occasional good moments, this PES is so incredibly linear and scripted in terms of gameplay, and the game mode balance/design is just laughable. ML/BaL hardly need any explanation of how shitty and bare-bones they are; just play them for half a season...

Online modes... MyClub is the typical modern lootbox bullshit mode, but it's even more fucked than FUT because literally everyone has teams full of 90+ rated steroid-fuelled monsters... You might ask why I care, why not just not play it? Well... Online co-op mode (which I do play) lets these fuckers play against your normal rated real life team, which ends up being 99% of matches...

Even the one thing that was bringing me back to this game time and time again, ball physics, I've just grown tired of... For all the praise this aspect gets, it's so fucking basic/on-rails, shooting and passing, even on manual. There are like 3 or 4 ball spins/speeds/trajectories and the script just chooses one based on player traits and the angle/animation. After playing for long enough this just becomes so repetitive. The physics may look "realistic", but there's nothing dynamic about them based on many variables that can produce something unique and unexpected, except for the occasional spin on a deflected ball. Any time the ball is deliberately kicked/headed or even saved, you get the same old ball trajectories you have seen thousands of times.

On top of that, they have linked the ball "physics" directly to the player traits. The "weighted pass" trait means that any long ball that player strikes will be a slow, useless, floaty pass with zero incisiveness which means the recipient has to contest it in the air... AND THEY GIVE THIS TO 99% OF DECENT PLAYMAKERS.

Look at this manual pass with Bernardo Silva (doesn't have that trait);

(click for HD)

You CANNOT play this kind of ball with De Bruyne, D.Silva or Fernandinho because they have "weighted pass", which is supposed to be a positive/helpful trait... It's fucking not. At all.

Same goes for the "rising shot". I haven't seen a single one scored during my hundreds of games. All they do is keep the ball at an easier height for the keeper for longer. "Dipping shot" is a player trait as well, but triggers very rarely and it's kind of ridiculous that these are decided by a "trait" at all. Sunday League players can hit dipping or rising shots... This should be dynamic based on the incoming ball, run-up etc.

Just fed up with this and can't see myself playing much more of it this year, or being convinced by their next offering.
you could have tried using L1 modifier with high cross! makes the ball go faster and mid high! but i guess you are not playing this anymore...!
take care man! you might still hang around here (i hope)! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom