PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

@Chris Davies why is there so much space between the players!? havent seen that for a while!
you may try the line height fix for your team. makes it all more compact. this is my first thought.
second one: i dont like the word unstopable. if this would have happend to me, id say it was my way of defending. happens!
im not better than you but in this video, you give way to much space to the guy in midfield (having all the time in the world) playing that final pass. the guy at the pen area is free as a bird as well. i guess it just happens! the clinical top corner strike is another story! ^^ stupid AI with magnetic feet and super duper finish!
just my thoughts!

btw: i can feel you but i have that feeling that you will not get happy with this years version, when this one situation is doing your head in so much. dont get my wrong here, you know me! :)

edit: looks like i'm trying to prevent these situations to happen (while playing midfield or high up defensive line) because i know AI is gonna score top corner direct smash (2019-konami-ish)!

Last edited:
why is there so much space between the players!? havent seen that for a while!
That's a standard 4-4-1-1, with the "pass support" level set to 8/10 (i.e. players stay very close together), and defensive width (I forget the name they give it) set to 6/10 (i.e. defenders should be closer together). You wouldn't think it would you?

I find that if I don't use the "advanced instruction" of "deep defensive line", this happens to me pretty much every game at kick-off. Which is absolutely ridiculous.

second one: i dont like the word unstopable. if this would have happend to me, id say it was my way of defending. happens!
I was waiting for someone to say this... and honestly, in this case, you're wrong!!

You can see me fighting against the game to select Shelvey, to close the midfield play down. Every time I selected Shelvey, the game switched me to Diame (to his right). I couldn't keep control of him initially - but when I'm allowed to keep control, you see me close him down as quickly as I can, but it's too late. He hits the pass forwards.

At which point, again, I'm trying to sort the defenders out to get close to the striker, but I don't have the time, because as I start moving forwards, the shot has been hit.

Usually I'd say "okay, maybe 'unstoppable' is too strong a word if you want to be strict about it" - but in this instance, no, I won't accept it - it was absolutely unstoppable!

That's a standard 4-4-1-1, with the "pass support" level set to 8/10 (i.e. players stay very close together), and defensive width (I forget the name they give it) set to 6/10 (i.e. defenders should be closer together). You wouldn't think it would you?

I find that if I don't use the "advanced instruction" of "deep defensive line", this happens to me pretty much every game at kick-off. Which is absolutely ridiculous.

I was waiting for someone to say this... and honestly, in this case, you're wrong!!

You can see me fighting against the game to select Shelvey, to close the midfield play down. Every time I selected Shelvey, the game switched me to Diame (to his right). I couldn't keep control of him initially - but when I'm allowed to keep control, you see me close him down as quickly as I can, but it's too late. He hits the pass forwards.

At which point, again, I'm trying to sort the defenders out to get close to the striker, but I don't have the time, because as I start moving forwards, the shot has been hit.

Usually I'd say "okay, maybe 'unstoppable' is too strong a word if you want to be strict about it" - but in this instance, no, I won't accept it - it was absolutely unstoppable!
If i recall right,we had a "debate" last week and concluded that the more bars to "support sliders" means bigger distance between players. I am not sure,forgot again :P , @Emroth could you give a helping hand please here?

glad i could help keeping the conversation going! :D

yeah, had to rewatch. missed the hassle if selecting shelvey. looks strange. so "the computer" was switching back 2 times without you pressing L1? and you fought it by pressing L1 to get shelvey again?! weird.
I would have switched by RS... but it doesnt add to the problem of "the computer" taking over!

in general, i never had the feeling of beeing cheated. sure, i saw the ball going through a leg or magnetic feet just to favor the AI, but this is down to clipping errors and flaws in general. not nitpicking here.
and yes, i had these terrible sterile AI attacks where you think the CPU is cheating somehow... they are unstopable... but hey... maybe i dont care that much because a lot of aspects are brilliant imo! hm...

we are all different people with different views. facts are facts for sure. but see, i did not notice the player switching probs you had when i first watched the video. a lot of stuff can get lost when we describe good or bad situations in text form (even when providing videos). i think a lot of it has to be felt/played/self-expirienced or talked in person when sitting next to each other.

man, how i love to play test with you guys in person (for real). playing the game, have a few drinks, talking about PES series all night long...!! :D
make it happen! lets have a meeting in UK! id even offer my flat for a weekend (mid germany that is) if some guys want to spend i weekend in beautifull hessen! :D

Last edited:
This game does have some strange behaviours. I was enjoying my SS master league, on Manual. After a few in game months, all teams were very hard to beat, and I was loosing every game by 2 or 3 goals. I decided to go PA1, but things got even worse, CPU playing attack all the time, gegenpress all the time, striking tiki taka while I struggled to control the correct players. It was starting to become frustrating but I don´t understand why!

Next day I tried to play Pro level, PA0 and I was getting goals after goals, I even thought I was on SS, but no... One match against Southampton, I changed to PA1. I was loosing 0-2, and after that change, I still wasn´t capable of attack, in fact Southampton scored one more. It feels like the game sometimes gets into a time on ML that all teams are harder to play. Could it be something hardcoded for weak teams? I mean, I have a great team, but it looks like since I got Bakayoko, Joaquim, Rushford, Dembele, Baily and Karius things got pretty harder. My TS is now 78, but I lost my last 8 matches I think... Before I had these guys I was drawing and winning matches, including Man City, with a TS of 60. It seems to me that the better we get, CPU gets some boost or something? IDK, just really strange how my game has doing the last sessions... I don´t enjoy it this way tbh.

Oh, I have to mention that when I actually am defending well, CPU finds a way to score no matter what. The ones I love the most (NOT) are when CPU crosses the ball through my 4 defenders, at a foot´s reach, but no one reacts and some guy, heavily marked, scores like he´s on a Sunday walk.

And the pace, I really don´t know what happened to my save, but all matches are on steroids!! Like, all the time! Really weird now.

Last edited:
If i recall right,we had a "debate" last week and concluded that the more bars to "support sliders" means bigger distance between players. I am not sure,forgot again :P , @Emroth could you give a helping hand please here?
When I use the numbers, I'm referring to the "help" images - so if a help image shows that a higher number means players are closer together, that's why I'm saying 8/10. Surely the help images are right?!

And the pace, I really don´t know what happened to my save, but all matches are on steroids!! Like, all the time! Really weird now.
I've never, ever been on the placebo bus (that I can remember) and always say that undocumented gameplay changes in patches don't exist - but in this case, I was really enjoying my Newcastle ML, and after DP4 (and starting again), it's 100% definitely a different game. Much faster, and the AI has gone back to exhibiting release day behaviour (kick-off goals, "unstoppable" periods of play, etc. etc. - I wasn't seeing this stuff last month, it had all-but-gone)...

As @rockstrongo said, it could be as simple as Newcastle have been downgraded after DP4 (they've lost a few players, so their overall team quality score has dropped - although not their "Team Spirit"). But I've played other matches (started a World Cup as Romania) and they seem similar, if not quite as awful...

When I use the numbers, I'm referring to the "help" images - so if a help image shows that a higher number means players are closer together, that's why I'm saying 8/10. Surely the help images are right?!

I've never, ever been on the placebo bus (that I can remember) - but I was really enjoying my Newcastle ML, and after DP4 (and starting again), it's 100% definitely a different game. Much faster, and the AI has gone back to exhibiting release day behaviour (kick-off goals, "unstoppable" periods of play, etc. etc. - I wasn't seeing this stuff last month, it had all-but-gone)...

As @rockstrongo said, it could be as simple as Newcastle have been downgraded after DP4 (they've lost a few players, so their overall team quality has dropped). But I've played other matches (started a World Cup as Romania) and they seem similar, if not quite as awful...
I think the main turd in the punchbowl here is the failure from Konami to deliver a solid, consistant experience. Hence all the placebo talk we've had all these years. Also I think it'd be too much credit for Konami to say Newcastle have been downgraded after DP4 and that is what is making the difference....that would be implying stats matter, and hardly any do ;) I'm not kidding when I say I notice ZERO difference between L. Suarez and Patrick Kluivert. I'm not exaggerating for effect! It's literally zero.

@Chris Davies reg. the support range: afair, the higher the number in support range, the wider away your team mates stay.

edit: i checked on google real quick:
The support range dial, too, can be moved up a notch to seven or eight to give you far more scope for a brutally swift counter attack
https://www.gamesradar.com/pes-2019-formations/

3.1.5 SUPPORT RANGE
Adjust the sliders to determine your support range. With a low support range, teammates will come close to the ball carrier to provide support. Set a high support range, and your teammates will space themselves further away from the ball carrier.
http://pesmastery.com/pes-tactics-formation-tutorial/

guess we nailed it down! :)

Haven't played for a couple of days, came home for lunch to play, really excited to carry on the ML after reading @rockstrongo's ML stories.

First thing that happens?

That's on Top Player too (got fed up of losing every header etc. on Superstar, and it turns out there's no real difference).

Immediately wanted to turn it off - these AI kick-off goals are happening to me every other game.

I didn't, and I ended up drawing, but it felt shit to play. No joy whatsoever. The response times were fucking awful - I ended up playing on +2 just to elimate the lag, and it still prevented me making relatively simple passes and/or taking potshots.

Think I'm done now. Feel a total moron for spending the last 2-3 weeks editing everything...

(By the way, the frantic cursor-flicking - that was me fighting the game, trying to select Shelvey, and it kept deselecting him.)
I get it mate ,if I had the same experience with it as you,I'd pack it in asap.

I've had 10+ league games and 5-6 cup games so far,and all the ones I've played have been good to really good.

It's a good game,but it seems to play different for most people,why that is,no clue!
It shouldn't play different between PS4 or Xbox,so that shouldn't be the issue,all though I suspect it plays (and it should) differently depending on league!

I couldn't stand Fifa 18 and their OP Premier league,but had a couple of great seasons playing Bundesliga.

It sucks that it plays poorly in the league you want to play in.
Hope you get it sorted Chris

Last edited:
I get it material,if I had the samesame experi with it as you,I'd pack it in asap.

I've had 10+ league games and 5-6 games so far,and all the ones I've played have been good to really good.

It's a good game,but it seems to play different for most people,why that is,no clue!
It shouldn't play different between PS4 or Xbox,so that shouldn't be the issue,all though I suspect it plays (and it should) differently depending on league!

I couldn't stand Fifa 18 and their OP Premier league,but had a couple of great seasons playing Bundesliga.

It sucks that it plays poorly in the league you want to play in.
Hope you get it sorted Chris
ah hold on, I think the main difference is, Chris is playing ML right? From my experience LEague usually plays better on the pitch...less scripting. Are you playing in League mode or in a League in ML?

I honestly think it won't make a difference, BUT!... can't say I didn't try.

upload_2019-2-22_12-26-17.png
upload_2019-2-22_12-26-37.png
upload_2019-2-22_12-27-12.png
upload_2019-2-22_12-27-42.png

I don't know if I'm more scared about the fact that he wasn't even aware that Gameplay Sliders exist.
Or about the fact that he's lying to my face.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-22_12-26-11.png
    upload_2019-2-22_12-26-11.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 15
ah hold on, I think the main difference is, Chris is playing ML right? From my experience LEague usually plays better on the pitch...less scripting. Are you playing in League mode or in a League in ML?
ML pal.
Yeah it's a big difference,but I'm not seeing those issues (yet) that Chris are going through
The league I'm playing is by default lower pace ,or players are set up to not attack with frenzy,I don't know.

Last time I played PL in Pes was probably Pes 15,and I hated it.
The difference between my Torino save and my United save was miles apart.
Don't really know why it's the way it is,but like I said in that post ,my Fifa 18 PL save Vs my BL save were like night and day to.

It's a bummer that more people can't enjoy this game simply because it's unplayable in certain leagues,it certain difficulty,or if you're having a low TS.

My Milan ML,I started off with a TS at 77,with a few adjustments,setting up the team the way they play IRL,I got a 82 TS straight away.

I also think going above 80+ in certain players (my defenders are 80-83+) helps a lot,having 70-75 ivr players are a nightmare (response etc)

I honestly think it won't make a difference, BUT!... can't say I didn't try.

View attachment 12198
View attachment 12199
View attachment 12200
View attachment 12201

I don't know if I'm more scared about the fact that he wasn't even aware that Gameplay Sliders exist.
Or about the fact that he's lying to my face.
Haha Chuny mate, he's lying to your face. Of course he knows about sliders in their main competitors' game. The nerve of that guy. Good try nonetheless mate.

Is that controlling those players you mean?

If it's not I'm not buying it,trying to defend Icardi/Immobile etc is a fucking nightmare.
Yes that is exactly what I mean mate. You don't have to buy it because I'm not selling it, all I'm doing is speaking from my own experience. If you are seeing individuality in (cpu) players then great, I really enjoyed that in my first couple of seasons as well. All I'm saying now in season 8 of my ML on superstar, I'm not seeing any. Not in my team or that of the cpu. Irrespective of formation, tactics gameplay mod (pc) used. I wish it were different but it's been this for at least the past 3 seasons now. I'm literally playing Chelsea in the EL now and I can't tell anyone apart from their side.

Yes that is exactly what I mean mate. You don't have to buy it because I'm not selling it, all I'm doing is speaking from my own experience. If you are seeing individuality in (cpu) players then great, I really enjoyed that in my first couple of seasons as well. All I'm saying now in season 8 of my ML on superstar, I'm not seeing any. Not in my team or that of the cpu. Irrespective of formation, tactics gameplay mod (pc) used. I wish it were different but it's been this for at least the past 3 seasons now. I'm literally playing Chelsea in the EL now and I can't tell anyone apart from their side.
Sounds shit pal.
Yeah I'm not as deep in as you are.
Good point,as you see it,really good point,wish more people would use just that phrase instead of "it's a fact"
I absolutely hated this game from its first low cross inferno time up until actually the last one a few weeks back.
Really tried to play it,no go for me,even returned to Pes 18 .

I just hope I can squeeze 4-5 good seasons out of it.
Good post mate, appreciate it

Haha Chuny mate, he's lying to your face. Of course he knows about sliders in their main competitors' game. The nerve of that guy. Good try nonetheless mate.
@Chuny
Lygaard is like:
FittingIcyJellyfish-size_restricted.gif

in response to that, my head tells me:
source.gif

and then i say out loud:
Op+dont+try+to+fool+us+you+dont+go+to+_6a8fdc8cc07c0c5daafd5cd1197d4625.gif

6824e8248361be0d10fbbc124fe5de39.gif

;)

thanks for the effort @Chuny !!! and sorry to all of you! couldnt stop myself from a little mockery! ;) all good! :D

Sounds shit pal.
Yeah I'm not as deep in as you are.
Good point,as you see it,really good point,wish more people would use just that phrase instead of "it's a fact"
I absolutely hated this game from its first low cross inferno time up until actually the last one a few weeks back.
Really tried to play it,no go for me,even returned to Pes 18 .

I just hope I can squeeze 4-5 good seasons out of it.
Good post mate, appreciate it
No problem mate and I hope you do get that much of the game. I've noticed that from pes 17 onwards, the further you get into an ML the more the script takes over and just reduces everything to a mushy button mushing blob were everything and everyone feels the same. But again not to shove my opinion down anyone's throat as I know the experience varies from person to person. I've put 240 hours in so it's bound to get a bit dull then ;)

Ah, where are the days when I could just plays year round... Played pes 5 for two! Unimaginable in this online day and age.

No problem mate and I hope you do get that much of the game. I've noticed that from pes 17 onwards, the further you get into an ML the more the script takes over and just reduces everything to a mushy button mushing blob were everything and everyone feels the same. But again not to shove my opinion down anyone's throat as I know the experience varies from person to person. I've put 240 hours in so it's bound to get a bit dull then ;)

Ah, where are the days when I could just plays year round... Played pes 5 for two! Unimaginable in this online day and age.
Good point.
I had 6 seasons on 17,all very good,then I started season 7 a month ago since I knew it was my "go to game" when all other Pes games were bonkers ,I'd at least have that one.
Horrible!
Played two maybe three games on it,felt shite,fast and just pushing buttons.

I've played my ML's a bit differently since probably Pes 13,either I do it like a player career type,which means if I switch teams,I usually start over.
Like 3 seasons in Parma and then 3 in Roma isn't really 6 seasons,it's 3+3.
Maybe that's why I haven't seen those issues with the game when you've played 5+ season.

God yes
I played Pes 6 from when it came all the way up to the release of Pes 11.
Didn't really feel the need to change for a newer game.
Must have been around 30 seasons all in all

Well, my ML has been on PL for the last two seasons... Maybe it´s time to go out to another country. Still stupid though.
If it is a difference,could be teams ,but if it is (to me it is) isn't that a good thing?
I wouldn't want my Serie to Play like a fast paced championship or vice versa

I get it.
Me actually being quite new to Pes 19,since I gave up on it early on really enjoy it.
Haven't really played online with it,a few myclub games early in,but I guess it's a big difference to normal online games.

I play a lot of NHL online,mainly getting tired of the crowd playing it.
Seems like mic'd up online gamers no matter game is 85% assholes
Is it better online than Pes 18?
Played quite a lot online with that,except always playing Liverpool kids,I liked it

Online still suffers from input lag, I can't get past that, it's not that it's super apparent but I feel it should be so much better in 2019.

Haha, a lot of finnish people thinking they are superior to us when it comes to hockey? ;) I like NHL but it has been a couple of months since I played online, got bored of HUT. How is the gameplay now? It usually gets dumbed down along the line, the same this year? Sorry for OT you guys.

If it is a difference,could be teams ,but if it is (to me it is) isn't that a good thing?
I wouldn't want my Serie to Play like a fast paced championship or vice versa

Exactly what I was thinking. It is a great thing. It´s just a bit overpowered. Lately I´ve been thinking again about changing dificulty. My matches with Portugal have been a bit diferent, but still too hard for my taste, as I can´t do certain things I would like to do, like having some time on midfield to dictate the tempo, or being confortable at defence against weaker teams. Stats are quite on spot, but the balance of the match doesn´t feel the same way.

Yes, the more bars in Player Support the further they stay away from each other (or should I say - from you).
But it mainly refers to when you are on the ball. It refers to your team mates getting further (more bars) or closer (less bars) to your player for more short passes build up.
I dont think it refers to your defense positioning.

That would be more related to defense line and compactness options.
The more bars in compactness the closer they are to each other (but your wings might get a bit exposed)

I didnt want to comment on @Chris Davies clip, coz he is right in a way.
We can speculate, that he could do this,or that, but it doesnt change the fact that this goal was discraceful. Palace striker had no momentum, his body wasnt positioned properly, yet he was able to send a fucking rocket, basically from nothing, from ball dead at his feet.
Goals like this should never happen.

Yes, the more bars in Player Support the further they stay away from each other (or should I say - from you).
But it mainly refers to when you are on the ball. It refers to your team mates getting further (more bars) or closer (less bars) to your player for more short passes build up.
I dont think it refers to your defense positioning.

That would be more related to defense line and compactness options.
The more bars in compactness the closer they are to each other (but your wings might get a bit exposed)

I didnt want to comment on @Chris Davies clip, coz he is right in a way.
We can speculate, that he could do this,or that, but it doesnt change the fact that this goal was discraceful. Palace striker had no momentum, his body wasnt positioned properly, yet he was able to send a fucking rocket, basically from nothing, from ball dead at his feet.
Goals like this should never happen.

I agree with this. If players had the momentum, we could understand why we conceded certain goals. In fact, I feel that my team needs to find momentum to o anything, while CPU doesn´t, and that leads to frustration, at least for me. It´s really annoying to work on a match, building that momentum, having chances go wide, or tackled perfectly, and then concede some cheap goal only because CPU has put the foot on the gas.

About attacking support and defensive support, when we build a tactic for a certain match, I´m sure we´ll have to be carefull to connect those two settings together. If you play a deep compact defense and a wide opened attack, when you loose the ball your players will take some time to get back to their positions, and if CPU plays it fast, it will cause havoc on your defense. I think there should be minimal changes between those two.

Online still suffers from input lag, I can't get past that, it's not that it's super apparent but I feel it should be so much better in 2019.

Haha, a lot of finnish people thinking they are superior to us when it comes to hockey? ;) I like NHL but it has been a couple of months since I played online, got bored of HUT. How is the gameplay now? It usually gets dumbed down along the line, the same this year? Sorry for OT you guys.
I like the gameplay when playing EASHL,not great but ok,especially when playing with like minded.
Nope the Canadian are the worst.
"Swedes can't play"
-Ok, you're supporting Vancouver,name their three all time best players,and the one being the best now?
" Mmm ok"
Online hockey in my mind is more fun than Pes (even though offline is better)
Sorry for OT guys

Last edited:
Exactly what I was thinking. It is a great thing. It´s just a bit overpowered. Lately I´ve been thinking again about changing dificulty. My matches with Portugal have been a bit diferent, but still too hard for my taste, as I can´t do certain things I would like to do, like having some time on midfield to dictate the tempo, or being confortable at defence against weaker teams. Stats are quite on spot, but the balance of the match doesn´t feel the same way.
I had a tough time with Atalanta,finished 6th place (pretty ok) they have a great offense,77-82 ovr players.
But since switching to Milan my offensive players are pretty much the same,biggest difference is having defenders at 78-82 ovr, suddenly they are responsive and act accordingly.
So now, from enjoying my ML,I've actually really loving it.
I can beat better teams,and I really dominate lower rated team,but if I rush it , they're sharp enough to punish me
It's a good balance right now for me.
Especially playing as Milan a team I know inside out

Last edited:
Yea, I´ve built a pretty decent attack, but maybe my defense wasn´t as solid as needed for PL. Season is over now, and I decided to go with Huddersfield on more year (none of the offers convinced me to change club). Will work on the starting transfer market to build a proper team and see what I can get from there.

Back
Top Bottom