PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Did Hideo Kojima not develop an engine for Death Stranding? I think it's called Decima.
If PES has been using FOX ENGINE since PES 2014, which was developed for Metal Gear Solid.
Don't you think that it would make sense for them to keep working with Kojima after so many years?.

The saga between Konami and Kojima is complicated and full of "drama". Konami has rights about FOX Engine and MGS games ... so... Kojima was not having time to develop a new engine, that why he work with Sony and they Decima engine (It's Guerrilla Games engine ). He help them with his experience, they help him with the tools, it's a win-win situation for Sony and Kojima. Now they have one of the most talented game developers of ours and maybe of all time. Konami now does not have the potential to develop a whole new engine. And I think they have found it easier and cheaper to use ready-made and proven ones like Unreal.

Last edited:
The saga between Konami and Kojima is complicated and full of "drama". Konami has rights about FOX Engine and MGS games ... so... Kojima was not having time to develop a new engine, that why he work with Sony and they Decima engine (It's Guerrilla Games engine ). He help them with his experience, they help him with the tools, it's a win-win situation for Sony and Kojima. Now they have one of the most talented game developers of ours and maybe of all time. Konami now does not have the potential to develop a whole new engine. And I think they have found it easier and cheaper to use ready-made and proven ones like Unreal.

I'm not familiar with the inside story. But did Konam and Kojima end up in bad terms? Do they have a bad commercial relationship now?

I'm not familiar with the inside story. But did Konam and Kojima end up in bad terms? Do they have a bad commercial relationship now?

Oh, they break really bad and hard :D That why MGS 5 is half ass game because Kojima already was removed from the developer of the game, so they " complete " other half of the game they own. Konami cancels Silent Hills (Kojima and Delelmo Del Toro project). Basically, now Konami does not make AAA games anymore, just PES. Last game, different from PES that Konami release for consoles was ... Metal Gear Survive, maybe one of the WORST games of all time. Konami now makes mobile and pachinko games.

P

Last edited:
Evolution doesnt have to be for better, I agree. Sure - look at the dinosaurs getting smaller and growing feathers. They werent cooler and more badass than T-Rex, but they survived. ;)

Evolution is an adjustment to "now".
Unfortunately for us - its easier to get a mobile than a console now.

I might be oldschool but I cant imagine playing Pes and enjoying it on small screen, without controller. This takes all the immersion out of it plus limits our own controlls to bare minimum.

To me, it would be ideal, if they "linked" console version with mobile version.
If they created complex and indepth Master League and you could link it to your mobile, then we could talk about evolution for better.

If we could, for example, play minigames, like training sessions on our mobile, and manage the team outside of the pitch. Some sort of a team manager on the side, which we could add to our ML (if we wanted to, not obligatory).
But matches would be played on the console.

One can dream...

Yess that would be awesome. I don´t know why developers still didn´t work harder on this. Nowadays conectivity is everywhere! We could use the smartphone to manage certain aspects of our team, work on transfers while away from home, etc.

Some games had more potential though. Look at Division, or Watchdogs... That game was begging for a smart device connectivity but somehow they forgot about it.

To me, it would be ideal, if they "linked" console version with mobile version.
If they created complex and indepth Master League and you could link it to your mobile, then we could talk about evolution for better.
Yess that would be awesome. I don´t know why developers still didn´t work harder on this. Nowadays conectivity is everywhere! We could use the smartphone to manage certain aspects of our team, work on transfers while away from home, etc.
Here's the thing - if you play Ultimate Team, you can do all your squad management (including transfers) on the go using the companion app.

So it exists, and the technology exists. But for career mode? Never. Because it's not a priority and never will be again, that's the end of it.

Football Manager (costs money)
If you don't want to play the matches themselves and just want to be a manager, you'll never beat Football Manager, on any platform. The match engine gets better all the time on mobile (but of course doesn't compete with the PC version) and the depth is hidden by the simplicity of the UI etc... But it's all brilliantly realistic. Again, it destroys PES's Master League, but you can only watch the games...
do you have an opinion on which FM is the "best". Last one I bought was 2016 but I didn't play it much and I usually return to Champ 00/01.

"Best" = fun to play (not portability, ease of use, platform, etc)

There's probably something off with the game,not necessarily on all difficulty/ leagues/teams
Maybe some adjustments to some league/players,have no clue.

My ML is pretty good (right now) and watching others game play it looks pretty decent,just saw a few videos from our old mate Deco's ML on TP /manual and with a Ligue 1 team,and that looked amazing,gameplay from today.

Anyway,it sucks that it's the way it is right now for you mate.
If it's unplayable,I'd go for restart!
Sucks,but if that helps,better than having a shit ML
Finally, finally (on what must have been the tenth attempt) managed to beat Kopenhagen - only by dropping the difficulty to Top Player, and by coming from 2-0 down to win 3-2 with a 93rd minute winner (their keeper deflected a shot right onto the head of Muto, who couldn't miss).

Had it lasted another single minute, I have absolutely no doubt it would have been 3-3, but I got lucky taking the lead with no time left to play.

Here's the thing though (and why I'm bothering to post about it) - switching between Top Player and Superstar highlighted something.

The Jonjo Shelvey issue I mentioned (where he just wouldn't go past the halfway line, and if I took him over it, the AI would immediately sprint him backwards in a straight line as soon as I passed the ball to someone else)... It just wasn't happening on Top Player. He moved forward as part of the midfield line and was available to lay off passes and hit long-range shots.

That's proven to me that my tactics had nothing to do with the difficulty I was having - and now I've seen it, I can't unsee it, and it's really put me off playing long-term. Really shitty.

do you have an opinion on which FM is the "best". Last one I bought was 2016 but I didn't play it much and I usually return to Champ 00/01.

"Best" = fun to play (not portability, ease of use, platform, etc)
2019 on mobile is brilliant, and if you're a Champ Man guy it's the one to go for. I love 2019 on PC too but that's because I love the stupid, horrendous level of detail in terms of things like contracts, agents, dealing with staff, data crunching... I understand why people don't like it.

But 2019 on mobile is Champ Man with a 2D match engine (of sorts), what's not to love. Really recommend it, and/or on tablet.

If you want a manager game where you "play" the matches, New Star Soccer Manager is worth a go. Not dripping in realism, but it's free on mobile.

Mobile soccer alternatives would be really worth a separate thread one day!
Given how off-topic we're going now (my fault), I've just set this up! :)

Mobile Football Game Discussion thread

Last edited:
Finally, finally (on what must have been the tenth attempt) managed to beat Kopenhagen - only by dropping the difficulty to Top Player, and by coming from 2-0 down to win 3-2 with a 93rd minute winner (their keeper deflected a shot right onto the head of Muto, who couldn't miss

I was gonna post here yesterday mate,I played my first EL game last night vs Fc Sion (Switzerland) a team with 65 ovr players vs my 80+ ones
And the game was probably exactly like yours vs FCK

Didn’t have chance,they were everywhere,faster,stronger more reactive than me
Turned it of after 10 min,unplayable
But dropped my difficulty and managed to beat them 2-0
Lesson learned?
Always play EL/CL with a drop in difficulty

Then I’ve had two league games,both very good,managed to keep a clean sheet twice
In my first 6 games I’ve only conceded 3 goals and having 3 clean sheets is amazing on SS,don’t think I would manage that on TP

Good thing you’ve won hope it stays that way Chris

Last edited:
Speaking of mechanisms that are present but absent of the game, there is a pretty good 2D FM-style simulation engine,being used in the Simulation games in Myclub,if you press Δ (match data).
This sim-engine is needed more than ever in Master League, instead of the shallow "skip match" we have now.The only modifications needed for ML, is a gamespeed slider and if they want to go to the awesone FIFA05 CarrierMode level, an intervention button to jump in action if the simulation goes wrong for your team in any minute.

Speaking of mechanisms that are present but absent of the game, there is a pretty good 2D FM-style simulation engine,being used in the Simulation games in Myclub,if you press Δ (match data).
This sim-engine is needed more than ever in Master League, instead of the shallow "skip match" we have now.The only modifications needed for ML, is a gamespeed slider and if they want to go to the awesone FIFA05 CarrierMode level, an intervention button to jump in action if the simulation goes wrong for your team in any minute.
I'd like to have it like NHL has it,SIM a period see stats etc,make adjustments SIM the next one etc.
Or even better,The 2k style of SIM where you can play/SIM how ever you like.
Play a few minutes,then SIM,jump back in to the game when ever you want.

Proceed to match in coach mode

Perhaps its meant to be you need to practice/understand this mode first (e.g in season 1) before you take your team out with better TS in season 2?

i'll be willing to give this a try (non-patched, non-edited on PC)

Last edited:
Almost feel guilty that my ML is very good and fun.

Like I discussed and @Chris Davies felt aswell,EL/CL games = no Bueno,to me they're pretty much unplayable.
I think I've simmed 75-85% since PES 15.

And on that topic,all EL/CL games are played night time.
So all my other games on night and daytime games are boils down to this (for me) and I think it's been like that since at least Pes 17,but very obvious since PES 18.

Night games
Those goes by my scale from unplayable til ok/barely playable

Day time from ok til very good
Exceptions if course ,but I'm probably having more good and great games Vs shit games on day time.

I played 6 games today,all from good to very good
Even started my first one Vs Parma on night time,rubbish!
Started over,same team,same tactics,great game!

I know it's not this that makes it good Vs bad,but right now I'm only playing daytime and it plays solid
11 league games,all daytime except two (both sketchy) but I'm 9 W 2D 0L and I've only conceded 6 goals,4 clean sheets on SS.
That would not have happened playing nighttime or mixing it

I abandoned my test run with Parma and started my new "regular" ML (profesional, PA0, 20mins) with Kilmarnock, oldest club in Scotland.
...and im having great fun so far!
As usual i didnt buy anybody to make it more interesting.
It feels different comparing to EPL.
A lot of randomness and crap passes. Im struggling big time with the players I have, but AI seems to struggle with me. Heavy touches and a lot of cards.
3 games in and I have 2 players injured already.
Looks like it will take a while before I'll be able to take the crown of Celtic or Rangers and make my mark in Europe, but as long as matches are not arcade, string-pass clusterfuck - Im happy enough.

Almost feel guilty that my ML is very good and fun.

Like I discussed and @Chris Davies felt aswell,EL/CL games = no Bueno,to me they're pretty much unplayable.
I think I've simmed 75-85% since PES 15.

And on that topic,all EL/CL games are played night time.
So all my other games on night and daytime games are boils down to this (for me) and I think it's been like that since at least Pes 17,but very obvious since PES 18.

Night games
Those goes by my scale from unplayable til ok/barely playable

Day time from ok til very good
Exceptions if course ,but I'm probably having more good and great games Vs shit games on day time.

I played 6 games today,all from good to very good
Even started my first one Vs Parma on night time,rubbish!
Started over,same team,same tactics,great game!

I know it's not this that makes it good Vs bad,but right now I'm only playing daytime and it plays solid
11 league games,all daytime except two (both sketchy) but I'm 9 W 2D 0L and I've only conceded 6 goals,4 clean sheets on SS.
That would not have happened playing nighttime or mixing it

I abandoned my test run with Parma and started my new "regular" ML (profesional, PA0, 20mins) with Kilmarnock, oldest club in Scotland.
...and im having great fun so far!
As usual i didnt buy anybody to make it more interesting.
It feels different comparing to EPL.
A lot of randomness and crap passes. Im struggling big time with the players I have, but AI seems to struggle with me. Heavy touches and a lot of cards.
3 games in and I have 2 players injured already.
Looks like it will take a while before I'll be able to take the crown of Celtic or Rangers and make my mark in Europe, but as long as matches are not arcade, string-pass clusterfuck - Im happy enough.
I knew all the way. You guys are Konami play tester! We all are!! :LOL:

Question for all you playtesters.I was browsing the Command-list (in-game help manual) and between the weird Konaminglish, i read something like "having Autoslide ON in personal data,helps your players intercept passes and balls near them".
Is this maybe the answer to unresponsive defenders letting passes pass-by just looking the ball.Has anyone tried both on and off?
I personally have it set to "off",cause the first time it was introduced 2011/2012?, i remember my defenders used to automatically slide for unecessary tackles,giving penalties or dangerous fouls near the box.

P.S.: For the "support settings", you were all right . I visited pes2011 gameplan screen and solved the mystery .It used to be two seperate sliders a) player support & b)support range. That's why i was so confused.

Last edited:
@rockstrongo posting in here makes me want to start a ML.

I'm done with the other game, played it once in the last few months and it's absolutely awful. I actually like this game, it does a lot well and feels like football, not ice hockey like the other title.

I found TP too easy so it's going to have to be Superstar I think. Which scares me.

I might play in French league for a change. Although the Premier League has two official stadiums. Play as Arsenal maybe?

Really confused here.

So the conclusion at the moment is that the game is unplayable again? That there is a difference in playing night and day matches?

Wow. Next level speculation then!

Question for all you playtesters.I was browsing the Command-list (in-game help manual) and between the weird Konaminglish, i read something like "having Autoslide ON in personal data,helps your players intercept passes and balls near them".
Is this maybe the answer to unresponsive defenders letting passes pass-by just looking the ball.Has anyone tried both on and off?
I personally have it set to "off",cause the first time it was introduced 2011/2012?, i remember my defenders used to automatically slide for unecessary tackles,giving penalties or dangwrous fouls near the box
I have it on Assisted for a good while now and I like it this way.
Makes the game more physical and my team mates are not as zombiefied as usual.
At least they are attempting to intercept, not just wandering around like headless chickens.
It costs me few fouls here and there but nothing major.

But I think in order to make the most out of it you need Defensive style set to Aggressive.
If you have it on Conservative they will keep their distance and wont approach AI anyway.

So far, after many seasons with many teams this option didnt cost me a penalty. In fact, I didnt have a single penalty since the beginning. Neither for me, nor for AI.

To answer your main question - does it help in defense? IMO - Yes.
But im getting most of the benefits in the midfield, as I use secondary pressure a lot. In penalty box in most cases im in control of the player blocking and tackling, so I dont see auto-sliding too often inside the box.

@rockstrongo posting in here makes me want to start a ML.

I'm done with the other game, played it once in the last few months and it's absolutely awful. I actually like this game, it does a lot well and feels like football, not ice hockey like the other title.

I found TP too easy so it's going to have to be Superstar I think. Which scares me.

I might play in French league for a change. Although the Premier League has two official stadiums. Play as Arsenal maybe?
Scary as fuck brother, I'm on SS,but like it better than TP

I don t know how @rockstrongo is enjoying this game,i wish i could enjoy it as much as u bro, im heading back to fifa 16 with sliders as it s a great football simulation to whet my fix for football games

Scary as fuck brother, I'm on SS,but like it better than TP
:LOL:
Its funny, coz im the opposite. Id rather SS than TP. For me its either Prof or SS.
On SS at least I can say - ah yeah, insane goal, but its SS, so what did I expect? ;)

I was playing TP at the start of Pes19 and my memories are that it was most scripted and most annoying level ever.
Since then Im avoiding TP like plague. I remember you telling me, that PA0 is so much better on TP, but i rather sacrifice a bit of passing comfort in order to avoid momentum driven AI.

Having said all that - TP might have changed since I tried it last, but I still have a bad after taste from it.. :LOL:

Edit: sorry I read your post wrong. I thought you said SS is scary as fuck and you like it better on TP.
:Facepalm:

:LOL:
Its funny, coz im the opposite. Id rather SS than TP. For me its either Prof or SS.
On SS at least I can say - ah yeah, insane goal, but its SS, so what did I expect? ;)

I was playing TP at the start of Pes19 and my memories are that it was most scripted and most annoying level ever.
Since then Im avoiding TP like plague. I remember you telling me, that PA0 is so much better on TP, but i rather sacrifice a bit of passing comfort in order to avoid momentum driven AI.

Having said all that - TP might have changed since I tried it last, but I still have a bad after taste from it.. :LOL:

Edit: sorry I read your post wrong. I thought you said SS is scary as fuck and you like it better on TP.
:Facepalm:
You're right pal,I was referring to SS being scary as fuck,but more the idea of going from TP ,which I've always used,or at least on 17,SS on 16 I think,played Profesional and TP on 18

But you're right bro,TP is a strange difficulty,like a SS light,but without the benefits of the good stuff from SS,only the bad stuff

I don t know how @rockstrongo is enjoying this game,i wish i could enjoy it as much as u bro, im heading back to fifa 16 with sliders as it s a great football simulation to whet my fix for football games
I get it mate,it's like when you've made enough efforts to make it work,and it does (most of the times)
Liked fifa 16 when it came,so I get what you're liking with it.
I'm not really a fifa guy anymore,liked 16 though,but was put off by the CPU s pass percentage.
But glad you found some game to get your fix in

I will start a regular ML on Professional. It's been a while. Wish me luck!

This game is amazing! I only wish that by default, all stadiums would have variations in goal/net shapes , styles ,and colors .

It’s in the description. Like always, professional.
Edited the post.
So apart of manual shots Im on the exact same settings. It looks really good. Nice build up from AI, slow tempo, no craziness.
Exibition tho, right?
Seems like its lacking a bit of ML sauce-script on top... ;)
Whenever I meet Man City they seems to be after few enegry drinks. ;)

Back
Top Bottom