Mobile Football Game Discussion

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
In my experience (Android user), the only football games worth playing are...

New Star Soccer (free)
You experience "the life" of a footballer, match gameplay lasts about 30 seconds and you only kick the ball a few times per game. Gameplay is incredibly basic and consists of frozen moments in time where you line up shots using an arrow that is displayed on-screen and then tap the ball (which moves, to make it difficult). You can blast through a season in an hour. It's surprisingly addictive, though simple.

New Star Soccer Manager (free)
This is cards-based (myClub/FUT style) but tries to be realistic. Levelling your team up and climbing the leagues is quite fun, upgrading your staff and your facilities etc... It's much deeper than the above (and deeper than the Master League, which is shameful really). Gameplay again "freezes" when it's your turn, until you start to move your players, and then "freezes" when you stop moving - the interesting thing is that you can draw paths for multiple players, which adds a tactical element you don't get in "normal" football games.

Tiki Taka Soccer (free)
A straight up Sensible Soccer / SWOS clone (there are lots, but this one is perfect). The guy who makes it is obviously a big football game fan, because your starting players are the classic PES ML starting players! Lots of fun but the other games on this list have slightly deeper gameplay.

Football Manager 2019 (costs money)
If you don't want to play the matches themselves and just want to be a manager, you'll never beat Football Manager, on any platform. The match engine gets better all the time on mobile (but of course doesn't compete with the PC version) and the depth is hidden by the simplicity of the UI etc... But it's all brilliantly realistic. Again, it destroys PES's Master League, but you can only watch the games.

Would like to add my favorites:

FIFA14 (only available via apk download anymore)

All leagues, very detailed settings, even full manual control on passing. Quite variable ball physics. Better cam configuration options than the PS4 games. It is even modded by some freaks every year.

Soccer Manager 19 (free, ads vanish after purchase)

Authentic squads due to community download, 3D match rendering (unlike Football Manager 2019). Better alternative to Football Manager 2019 for me, as it is not that ultra-deep in details and 3D rendering helps to interpret the things going on on the pitch.

Weird, no one mention DLS 2019 ? the previous version is really suck ( 16, 17, 18 ) i could easily beat the AI more than 7 goals per match. But this year they improved the AI, it's a bit more challenging. Offline version is OK but the online experience is suck ass, i mean it's really really sucks. Lag input, Cheater, Etc.

DLS 2019 is a game for you to spend your time. It's a good football offline game but not for online. Oh yeah it's free 100%.

DLS's one of the best football mobile game. That one thing make me disappointed when I edited all club logo. It will return fake logo (because of license) after played one match :CURSE:

Online Soccer Manager (OSM) also another good choice, that's nearly FM but some different, more league for you to enjoy & compete around the world.

Tried quite a few games and New Star Soccer is the only one which has kept me occupied for longer than 15 minutes before switching off.

Although for about the last 3/4 years the game has been getting harder as you now have to pay for trainers and agents.

It used to be based purely on properties owned and general recovery, but at the start of the game you can no longer play every game, you need to keep drinking NRG drinks or pay for the expert trainer.
So the fun has gone quite a bit for me now.

Also tried the FM games, but never really got on with them they just aren't a good substitute for the real thing.
However New Star Manager sounds pretty good, as you need something more to do than pick your team in a mobile game.

I am going to go off topic here though and say the best Sports game is Motorsport Manager.

Last edited:
My favourite manager game was Uefa Manager 2000. Not a well known game so I don't now if anyone on here knows about it. There was enough to do to keep you occupied for a while ie sponsorship, ground improvement, hiring of staff etc but you could turn on auto assist to help you out if you didn't want to concentrate too much on it. Probably the best thing was you could pretty much decide how quickly you wanted to go through a season. I have tried FM a couple of times and I can't stand how long it takes to go from game to game. In this game you could go through a season within half an hour if you really wanted to. There were some frustrating elements and it could crash for no reason from time to time but it was still fun.
Not a mobile game but thought it was still suitable as it is a manager game and seeing this thread reminded me of it.

The "New Star" games are full of microtransactions (Soccer, Manager, Cricket etc.)... You can literally get your players to max skills without even playing a single match in NSS if you dump enough money into it, which basically makes the matches a chore and impossible to lose. I used some mods on Android to give unlimited in-game currency and it really shows how little actual depth there is in these games...

Why bother to develop proper games when you can make more money on by making them a snail-pace grind and/or holding the game hostage from the player (with the "lives" or "energy" mechanics) unless they pay... Exploitative toxic bullshit, same for most mobile games except the likes of FM that charge a fair one-off price.

I did play this game for a while many years ago, guess it's still available;
It's one of those addictive high score challenge games, the only paid option was to remove adverts which is fair enough. There was a rugby one which was better though imo.

PSP PES games on the PPSSPP emulator are not bad if you have a bluetooth gamepad... Tried it briefly to see how it would work, and it ran nicely, but I don't think I'd put much time into them.

DS games are great on mobile because the touchscreen controls work better than virtual gamepad buttons, but I doubt there were any decent football games for it.

Back
Top Bottom