PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I couldn't recognize half of them

I'm so torn between the 2 games that I don't even know which one to play tonight.

Love the authenticity of those players with their real faces but seems the joy ends there; I can't imagine myself playing ML and say a player called Paul Pogba with price tag of £13,000,000; then we have all these fake and duplicate players.

Love all about FIFA, with its atmosphere, good commentary but the joy ends there; the amount of fake faces there in FIFA is just absurd! total bollocks! i.e. Frenkie de Jong, Jorginho, Škriniar, Fabinho, Arthur, Torreira, Malcom, Leon Bailey, Bergwijn, Chiesa, Kluivert, Pavard etc etc etc ...... and sooooo on.

If people are choosing a particular football game or any other sport game purely on faces then that's why PES is where it is.

Yeah I understand; those faces are marvellous in PES and in abundance too. Although I must admit PES generic faces are so recognisable; just having 1 look and you can tell it's a generic ones.

In regards to player faces, credit is due to Konami for taking the care to create as many unique faces as possible for players from various leagues across the world. It must real shitty to be a fan of a club that isn't one of Europes elite and all your players look the same, with the same neglected generic face. EA's team is supposed to 3 times the size of Konami's yet Konami churn out faces well after release in data packs, for free. I can't knock that at all.

The only thing i can't stand is when Konami waste resources updating a player that already looks great when that labor could've gone on another player entirely. Yeah i'm talking about Buffon and the countless Aguero updates we get.

I'm so torn between the 2 games that I don't even know which one to play tonight.

Love the authenticity of those players with their real faces but seems the joy ends there; I can't imagine myself playing ML and say a player called Paul Pogba with price tag of £13,000,000; then we have all these fake and duplicate players.

Love all about FIFA, with its atmosphere, good commentary but the joy ends there; the amount of fake faces there in FIFA is just absurd! total bollocks! i.e. Frenkie de Jong, Jorginho, Škriniar, Fabinho, Arthur, Torreira, Malcom, Leon Bailey, Bergwijn, Chiesa, Kluivert, Pavard etc etc etc ...... and sooooo on.
What pissed me off with fifa right now is the transfers I've seen playing Serie A.
Big players sold,rubbish going in,I've seen 5-6 transfers that made no sense at all.
Then on the other hand Pes 19 plays poorly right now,pre last patch I'd rather play it than fifa though.
Right now I'm enjoying Fifa 19 more,even though it's quite poor too,at least it's not killing me with scripting

Im on the fence in regards to this.
Its nice to be able to recognise players, but when faces become priority in data packs, thats when problem starts.
Overall gameplay lacks, AI is worst it has ever been, yet instead of working on that, we are getting 100 faces and few boots.
Besides - as yall said before - even Pes generic faces are good enough to be able to recognise the player.
At the end of the day gameplay is the only thing that counts. If faces is all that tickles your fancy, then just watch Pes on youtube ;) :LOL:

If I was to talk about aesthetics, Id swap some faces for those little images in Game Plan. To me its very annoying to have half of the team with pictures and half without a "profile pic".
Another thing is name commentary. This database should be much bigger. I hate when I play and commentator doesnt know any of my player names.
And some of them are most common names in football, like Perez, Lopez, Sanches... most common and popular names should be on the list! It takes away so much immersion if you play full match and all you hear is "he shoots!", "he missed", "he fouled him there"...

So yeah, faces are nice, but thats like... way down the list of priorities.

while we are at it right now...
i never had a prob with the grey head templates in the tactics menu. that changed over time! nowadays i cant stand them anymore (used to look past this)! when there is a team with just 2 or 3 real/generic faces/pics and the rest is greyed out... it looks so bad! a generic face pic for every player should be the minimum (they do have some face on the pitch, havent they!?)!

another thing is the grey kits in myclub for players without license! i just collect the players in that mode, but the player cards with the player wearing an all grey kit... come on! but here it is: i might get that uniform license thingy but not the face stuff mentioned above!!

If I was to talk about aesthetics, Id swap some faces for those little images in Game Plan. To me its very annoying to have half of the team with pictures and half without a "profile pic".
This is definitely my pet peeve when it comes to interface, i like everything to be consistent and uniform in style. I actually preferred the ingame player renders on the formation screen, at least you knew who had a face and who didn't. But c'mon Konami, one or the other! It's just bloody jarring and i don't think anybody cares for real player images on the game plan, i hate it for one. Again, it's just a mish-mash of action shots and players pulling strange faces, why couldn't they at least use official squad photo's where they're looking straight at the camera, that looks presentable.

It's one of those areas where modders on the PC version have corrected it and done a better job than Konami in that regards.

Right now I'm enjoying Fifa 19 more,even though it's quite poor too,at least it's not killing me with scripting
this is my thoughts since last patch too. With sliders some thing the Pes desperately needs I can play legendary and still not feel cheated when I lose. Currently in PES the AI just decides to win and that's it. Then there is all the variation in FIFA

this is my thoughts since last patch too. With sliders some thing the Pes desperately needs I can play legendary and still not feel cheated when I lose. Currently in PES the AI just decides to win and that's it. Then there is all the variation in FIFA
Yeah I agree on the scripting part,it's horrible on Pes 19.
Right now it's tricky getting to love it.
The other game wins there for sure.
Problem is that the other game has a bunch of other issues making it quite poor,no aggression,sometimes it looks like a bunch of players doing everything in their power not to go into battle.
But for now it's better than Pes 19 bs scripting,but miss the physical side of football,which is a big part of the game,and not to mention it doesn't look very good either.
But driving me mad Vs not driving me mad...
Playing Pes 18/17 as well though

why couldn't they at least use official squad photo's where they're looking straight at the camera, that looks presentable
Exactly. I dont get this. You go to your team and when you flick through your squad you can see every player on the right. Why dont just take a mini picture of his face there? I mean - its not rocket science and its not that difficult. This is one of the reasons I dont use any Youth Players. Blank picture in Game Plan is doing my head in.

This is definitely my pet peeve when it comes to interface, i like everything to be consistent and uniform in style. I actually preferred the ingame player renders on the formation screen, at least you knew who had a face and who didn't. But c'mon Konami, one or the other! It's just bloody jarring and i don't think anybody cares for real player images on the game plan, i hate it for one. Again, it's just a mish-mash of action shots and players pulling strange faces, why couldn't they at least use official squad photo's where they're looking straight at the camera, that looks presentable.

It's one of those areas where modders on the PC version have corrected it and done a better job than Konami in that regards.
and bring back those animated player models in the menu background! scratch that cheap looking animated fake bubbles we have right now! thats an animated menu for sure (,konami), but its ugly as hell!
slow motion player models in the background (close up)!! that looked gorgeous!!

me as a replay slow motion fan, i would like that a lot!! and then there is other ideos like showing short scenes of matches you had in the ML menu. you can save replays so it should be possible (they have ML promotion videos in the tiles, so...)!

stick with 60fps menus, thats another thing i beg for!

edit: oh boy... havent seen this for a while but its stuck in my head!! :) it just looks lovely!! super duper real freakin slow motion...!!! :WORSHIP:
that details... be it the grass, the nice aniamtions, the player model itself... pure beauty, imo!!
have a look at the lights littered background when the cam pans out at min. 0:24! first blurry bg becomes sharper and gives a wider picture of the stadium and the lights! thats nearly art! ;)
always liked it even more when there where players from bayern (my fav. club) in the background! Robben doing his moves was just a joy to watch! :LOVE:

Last edited:

Dude i hate "the grey shiluets". What hurts me is that the mechanisms to avoid this are already in game or past games.
The most universal i can think to cover all instances, importedPC faces/basecopy faces/in game editor built faces, would be a simple extra editing option that will let you take a cyber-mugshot ,exactly as it happens already with players thumbnails in the Best players of Europe/America/Asia/World table menu and just calibrate in a default standard size to feat in fornation screen. The same cyber-mugshot that have some players like ML defaults/Brasileirao fakes/Brasil NT fakes. In the current situation it just breaks the immersion for you to use created players of yours, while speaking for a game that used to be based on editing and still is based, at least for the 33% of its content.

Last edited:
In the meantime Im tipping away in my Mallorca ML on Pes18, into second half of the season now, third place in D2. And the more I play it the more annoyed I am with Pes19.
18 seems so fair comparing to 19!
When you play high lob pass (on manual) and its not very accurate, you still feel like you have a chance to win the ball, as AI first touch is not as overpowered as in 19.
You feel like you can take your chances with tricks and dribbling.
You feel like you have a chance to score from distance.
When you chase the opponent running into the box, you do have a chance to win the ball, your defender will actually jump and try to win the header.

Yesterday I had similar situation to one from your clip, @slamsoze . GK parried a shot and ball was going back into the middle of my box. One of my players was standing about a meter away from the trajectory of the ball. Yet he stuck his leg out far, in an acrobatic fasion, to intercept the ball and then cleared it.
Lastly, AI is so unpredictable comparing to 19! Quite often happens that they are attacking, Im trying to cover all the angles, and out of nowhere they have this surprise shot or some pass that I didnt see coming at all. Just pure joy. Really nicely ballanced and challenging (in fun, not frustrating way) on manual/professional.

Regarding the mini pictures, I simply love my featured J. STONES in myClub.

player_96516777.png

and bring back those animated player models in the menu background! scratch that cheap looking animated fake bubbles we have right now! thats an animated menu for sure (,konami), but its ugly as hell!
slow motion player models in the background (close up)!! that looked gorgeous!!
Damn, i completely forgot about this menu design. It's simple but you have the fancy bells and whistles of showing the detail of the game in the background. That's gotta be the best menu since PES 2011. Why they abandoned this for that wannabe Windows 8 abomination is another one for the pandora's box of baffling decisions at Konami.

Damn, i completely forgot about this menu design. It's simple but you have the fancy bells and whistles of showing the detail of the game in the background. That's gotta be the best menu since PES 2011. Why they abandoned this for that wannabe Windows 8 abomination is another one for the pandora's box of baffling decisions at Konami.
and Intros!! what happened to those (all sports video games)!?
when i was younger it was a given that i sat down AWAITING an intro! and they delivered back then! ot: anyone remember that first Blade movies's intro! intros can set the mood, they can invite you...

these days its like "menu week" here at evo-web! :D
like it to be discussed, dont like it to be a topic of discussion in the first place! ;) you get me!

Although I must admit PES generic faces are so recognisable; just having 1 look and you can tell it's a generic ones.

I spent a whole day on the weekend to hunt down faces for Martinez, Ribery, Robben and Coman to compliment my Bayern squad before I start a new ML season. Gnabry's face doesn't exist yet, Rafinha looks like shit but he's leaving anyway. I cannot for the life of me stand those generic Konami faces. Especially the ones with the half-mohawk hairdo drive me nuts, but replacing everyone with a photo face would take a lifetime.

How did we get from there...
Preview 3.jpg
maxresdefault (6).jpg
To this...hqdefault (2).jpg
Master_League_News_Feed.jpg
Who in the right state of mind said
"Yeah! That looks good!"

Ps. When I saw first clips from Pes19 with this grey background I honestly thought that its a very early Beta and it will be looked after when the game comes out. Surprise surprise!

I wish they'd bring back the 'Scenarios' mode from the Snes days - that would be awesome on PES19.

There's so many they could do today: having to win with Liverpool being 3-0 down at half-time vs AC Milan in the CL Final (2005), Man City on last day of the season having to come back from 2-1 down to beat QPR to win the league (2012).

Obviously on each Scenario you enter the match at different times (2nd half as Liverpool in CL Final, last 5mins of the match as Man City to try and beat QPR etc.....)

Would be great.....

I spent a whole day on the weekend to hunt down faces for Martinez, Ribery, Robben and Coman to compliment my Bayern squad before I start a new ML season. Gnabry's face doesn't exist yet, Rafinha looks like shit but he's leaving anyway. I cannot for the life of me stand those generic Konami faces. Especially the ones with the half-mohawk hairdo drive me nuts, but replacing everyone with a photo face would take a lifetime.
this might be helpful for you mate!
ussually you will find more videos for one player when searching for "PES XXX (*player name here) face editor" on YT!
when i just cant stand a face i go online and search for those videos to edit it later myself.
some faces look great, some need some polish by myself (Robben for example)! but it helped me a lot!

Because they're fucking obsessed with changing things just for the sake of being able to tell that they changed something.Maybe they're affraid that if they don't change it then people will say that they're not doing anything and the game is the same.We have seen many examples of this all these years.
They add something,then remove it,then may add it again after 2-3 years etc.
They're more into recycling than into bringing fresh new ideas and maybe that's because of the same limited dev team all these years.I hope the new staff they were hiring some months ago will pay off in Pes 20.
I mean i like most of the changes they bring in things like movement,animations etc in recent games,but for other stuff like menus and ML details etc that were better in the past,it would be better to stick on a main idea and improve it from there,without completelly removing or revamping things every year.
It's like they try to revamp things and start all over again every year just for the sake of it instead of sticking to a main plan and improve it from there(i guess they have a low Team Spirit in that aspect..:DD)and because of this the game doesn't feel fully completed because it always lacks something that was already in in some previous version but now isn't.

i like that sideways heading animation at 17:32 min!! :)
he really is into defending!

In most cases that should be easy to score, but this time defense did a great job. It was my mistake for all three goals I have concede, btw. And yes, that animation rocks :)

this might be helpful for you mate!
ussually you will find more videos for one player when searching for "PES XXX (*player name here) face editor" on YT!
when i just cant stand a face i go online and search for those videos to edit it later myself.
some faces look great, some need some polish by myself (Robben for example)! but it helped me a lot!

Thanks, yes I know. I used one of those to edit Gnabry. But I actually found scanned faces for the others via some obscure packages off PES-Patch. Didn't think it was so laborious to implement them, though. Pain in the hole. As I am using Pesuniverse Patch, I would have to do this for all Bundesliga teams, but I can't be arsed.

Because they're fucking obsessed with changing things just for the sake of being able to tell that they changed something.Maybe they're affraid that if they don't change it then people will say that they're not doing anything and the game is the same.We have seen many examples of this all these years.
They add something,then remove it,then may add it again after 2-3 years etc.
They're more into recycling than into bringing fresh new ideas and maybe that's because of the same limited dev team all these years.I hope the new staff they were hiring some months ago will pay off in Pes 20.
I mean i like most of the changes they bring in things like movement,animations etc in recent games,but for other stuff like menus and ML details etc that were better in the past,it would be better to stick on a main idea and improve it from there,without completelly removing or revamping things every year.
It's like they try to revamp things and start all over again every year just for the sake of it instead of sticking to a main plan and improve it from there(i guess they have a low Team Spirit in that aspect..:DD)and because of this the game doesn't feel fully completed because it always lacks something that was already in in some previous version but now isn't.
So it’s the “3 year recycling plan/revolution”! Now I get it! It all makes sense now. ;)
xT0BKpdW1k1cAvZ7ws.gif

If I install PES 2017 (PS4), are the official patches of Konami still available? Will they be installed automatically?
I've just done this myself - the latest patch and DP3 are downloaded together when you install.

What you don't get access to are "live updates" (which create missing players) and online play - because the servers have been turned off. Thanks, Konami!

This means that when importing an option file (recommendation spoilered below), occasionally you'll get error messages because teams that were added in live updates are no longer added.

Unfortunately that means there are manual things you need to fix (as well as the stuff you always had to do manually in PES 2017 anyway, such as sorting competition names yourself).

Apologies for the off-topic, by the way - but, on-topic, the below is a huge reason why I really hate PES in recent years. Check out the amount of work you have to do upon importing an option file - which is supposed to do everything for you (so that you're more attracted to their unlicensed game).

They need to ditch their ancient database model (the same reason we can't have second divisions any more, apparently). This stuff is like having a second job.

I'd recommend Cristiano92's FBNZ All-In-One 5.0 - big thanks to @slamsoze for pointing me in the direction of it - along with this small update. This seems to be the most "compatible" option file with the final version of PES 2017, that has the least amount of issues to fix - but there's still plenty (not Cristiano92's fault though)!

If you follow the instructions to import, but leave the Bundesliga and then national teams until last, I think you've got the best chance of avoiding import errors - but I still get at least one when importing the Côte d’Ivoire, which is that the minimum amount of players isn't met, because a "live update"-added player isn't there any more.

For any cases like this, you can import the images, but not the players, which you'll have to manually rename to their real life counterparts (there are websites like PESmaster that can help with this) - as well as making sure that any "real" versions of the players that exist at club teams are swapped in with the fake ones.

After that, the following players are duplicates and need A) RESETTING and B) swapping with their club-team counterparts:

USA: B. GUZAN, G. CAMERON, B. WOOD, D. YEDLIN

MEXICO: G. OCHOA, D. REYES, A. GUARDADO, C. VELA, J. DOS SANTOS, M. LAYUN, R. RIMENEZ

JAMAICA: A. MARIAPPA, C. DONALDSON, G. MCCLEARY, K. LAWRENCE, L. WILLIAMSON, M. HECTOR, W. MORGAN

After that, somebody spotted that there is a duplicate Alexandro Pato. Resetting the one at Tianjin Quanjian will give you a fake player, who you might want to give crap stats and then release as a free agent (so that nobody picks him up in the Master League). The national team fakes SHOULDN'T appear in the ML (but I can't remember if they will, to be honest).

After this, you have to manually import the club logos for Athletic Bilbao, UD Las Palmas, LA Galaxy, New York City, Kawasaki Frontale and Tianjin Quanjian.

After that, you have to import the competition logos, and rename them as described here.

After that, you have to change the league structures so that the Bundesliga has 18 teams, the CSL has 16 teams and the MLS* has 24 teams - and then swap all the teams around into the right places, as they will be scattered amongst these leagues and the "other" continental leagues that exist, e.g. "Europe (Other)".

*Some people don't like the MLS being the American league because they get dragged into a South American competition I believe - personally, I'd rather have the MLS in-case I ever decided to manage there. If you'd prefer the Liga MX, for example, it's difficult to find but there are older files like this one that might help.

After that, I think you're ready to go.

Easy peasy, right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom