PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

You see, guys - thats where the problem is.
There shouldnt be any updates in a first place.
Gameplay should be optimised and product should be finished when you buy it.
There will always be little bugs that need to be fixed, but we shouldnt be waiting 6 months for a stadium, or AI to be fixed.
This is something that we just take as a norm nowadays.

The problem is that every year we are ready to buy a worse version of a game just because it's new. That is the main problem. From a gameplay perspective the multible time patched Version of PES 2018 was (and still is) a far better and more balanced game than pes2019 on the day of its release (and until now). But we buy it anyway just because it is new. And we do that every year.

We should only buy PES if the new version is better than the old one. That would solve a lot of things. It is that easy. Don't buy the game if it is not better than the current version.

We are strange customer, really.

PES 2018 is a really nice game after all this patches. ML is way better because of a much better AI. But your mind told you "but it's old, it's old". Are we crazy?

There will always be little bugs that need to be fixed, but we shouldnt be waiting 6 months for a stadium, or AI to be fixed.
This post is so TRUE...

The problem is that every year we are ready to buy a worse version of a game just because it's new. That is the main problem. From a gameplay perspective the multible time patched Version of PES 2018 was (and still is) a far better and more balanced game than pes2019 on the day of its release (and until now). But we buy it anyway just because it is new. And we do that every year.
This point would be a lot more pertinent if not for the fact that people were saying a fully-patched PES 2017 was better than PES 2018 this time last year, and that a fully-patched PES 2016 was better than PES 2017 the year before that!

Over the Christmas period I installed every PES and FIFA game I have, and really hammered all of them - and eventually couldn't escape my personal opinion that the latest games really are the best ones, and this is despite not really liking either of them.

But they both have more freedom-of-movement than ever, and they both feel better on-the-ball than ever. I found going back to the older games really difficult to enjoy (well, that's not true - I enjoyed them, but they didn't feel like real football).

Again, that's just my opinion, but I was going back to PES 2013 (my previous all-time favourite I think) and ended up hating how everything was on-rails and how direct the AI was - and in FIFA 16 (my favourite FIFA) you could feel the rails, and the AI was really boring to play against. I missed too much about the gameplay of the 2019 games.

I don't think we're buying worse versions of the games - but I do think we're funding very little innovation. It feels like changes are incremental now. I remember playing WE6FE after playing whatever the PES was at the time, and being blown away by the (gameplay) difference - I don't feel like I'll ever feel that again (although reading these forums on release day, it seems that at least a few people still get that sensation).

I do agree with you, @Chris Davies .
They are not worse. Ball physics, graphics, animations - it's all improving.
They are just more shallow.
I believe that a big part of our frustration comes from high expectations.
Its 2019 and we are right to expect much more than what we are getting.
And not only they cant deliver proper AI, or depth, but they are also taking away stuff from us and making all the modes even more shallow than they were.
Adam is getting more active on Twitter recently reassuring people that ML will get a lot of focus and pes19 is (yes, you guessed it) first year of 3 year cycle. :LOL:
Will be interesting to see what pes20 brings as second year is over the half of their project..

@Chris Davies
I understand you but my experience is a little bit different.

For example. I bought PES 2019 on the first day like always. Until this day i played PES2018 which was patched several times already. I started a ML and the AI was trying to score the same goal over and over and over again. You know the problem. People got angry for weeks about it.

In my experience there is no question about it that on the release day of PES2019 PES2018 was the better game. It was much more balanced from a gameplay perspective and playing a ML in PES2018 was more fun because of it. PES2019 was again a very unfinished product on his first day. They patched it ones now but the AI ist still not on the same level like they used to in PES2018.

I'm with you and there are things that feels better in PES2019. It is always like this. But the overall experience is worse because the AI is still unfinished. They will patched it one oder two times more and then we will see the difference in comparison to day one. And two weeks later PES2020 will hit the stores and it is starting all over again. ;-)

I'm back to my PES2018 ML after playing two months of PES2019 ML. I see so much more variation, and a far better balanced and less "cheating" AI (I don't like this word but the better the AI the less you feel cheated).

This year i will try to stay strong and buy the game (on release day!) only if it is better than the (hopfully) patched 2019 version.

Last edited:
What are PES strengths nowadays in terms of gameplay?

-Ball Physics are close to perfect.
-GKs are very good.
-*Some* animations are very lifelike.

Anything else?.

Imo, animations, footplanting, ball controlling, dribling mechanics and CPU AI, its a step back from 2018.

Passing, shooting, ball phisics, fouls(jeez this really is a feature?), stats, lighting effects and pitch textures are better on PES 2019.

At this time I dont know wich game is better. It seems that after this latest live update the game became more balanced again. Its just me that feel it? Placebo? Perhaps.

I dont edited nothing by the way.

Last edited:

This X100

New fox engine in 2015.. fair enough; i'll allow updates for the first 1-2 years to perfect things. Except they start to F things up.

Do not pre-order PES 2020.

Imo, animations, footplanting, ball controlling, dribling mechanics and CPU AI, its a step back from 2018.

Passing, shooting, ball phisics, fouls(jeez this really is a feature?), stats, lighting effects and pitch textures are better on PES 2019.

At this time I dont know wich game is better. It seems that after this latest live update the game became more balanced again. Its just me that feel it? Placebo? Perhaps.

I dont edited nothing by the way.

I did a little research about relating ball control and close control,in the official wepes pages of 18 and 19 and in the promotion posts of 17/18/9 as for 17 the official page is gone.
I found that there was an additional app or engine or mechanic or whatever which was called "Real Touch" in pes2017 and "Real Touch+" in pes2018.In pes2019 i couldn't find a specific mention about "Real Touch". The only seperate mechanic i found in games page is this one responsible for Lighting, "Enlighten" or whats the name is.Possibility this "Real Touch" engine was responsible for the difference in controling the player on ball.
Since KONAMI is used to remove an old feature when they want to adapt a new one,maybe the "Real Touch" mechanic was abandoned in favour of the Lighting engine.

Ball physics, graphics, animations - it's all improving...

It is. But this are just physics and this ist not what makes it a better game (in my opinion of course). If you are not playing this game online - just singleplayer and mostly ML - the most important thing is the AI. And i'm talking about buying the game on release date and if you put the physics behind and take a look at the AI than PES2018 was the better game. It still is if you play ML in both games and compare it.

Do you think PES2019 on release date had a better AI than the polished PES2018?

Anyway, it is just my opinion and experience and i feel it is the same every year. Just after the last late Konami patch the game seems to be good at least and a few days later the new Game hit the stores. And it feels somehow different, some kind better in some aspects but after a few days of playing you feel it is unfinished in terms of the AI, again.

@Robbery The most important thing for me is being able to score and concede good realistic and varied goals. This is why I view the current game as a complete failure because these things are the very essence of the sport.

I've scored one long range goal (30+ metres) in 3 seasons. I know it's only one because I got a trophy for it. That would be a success rate of less than 1%. I've conceded one header and nothing from outside the box. This is shambolic and negates any notion of it being an improvement over the last game in my opinion. First time I've ever gone back to a previous iteration actually.

Last edited:
Do you think PES2019 on release date had a better AI than the polished PES2018?
No it didnt. You're right.
Not even on release. It still has better AI now, half way through its life cycle...
Im hoping they will polish 2019 before they move on, otherwise 2019 will be remembered as the one with huge potential, great feeling on the ball and one of the worst AI's in Pes games.
I choose to play 2019 simply coz I didnt like player movements, animations, rocket shots, cartoonish graphics, overpowered headers and lack of fouls/injuries on 2018.
But again - that was just my personal opinion on 2018.

This is my actual dream.

And yet the most in-depth VR football game so far is Headmaster, where you stand in the penalty box and head balls into a net.

There's no way EA and Konami haven't been experimenting with VR, the potential is clear - but I bet they're having issues with motion sickness (standing still while, on the headset, running full-pelt towards the goal). Also, given the size of the budget PES has (i.e. tiny), I imagine they're stretched as it is.

Even so, I hope they keep experimenting.
Something I think could work would be to play the game as normal, but have your view be from a seat in the stands. The pre-match tactical options could be set in the changing room, interacting with the whiteboard, maybe let you walk up to players to set individual instructions etc... IMO a management game could work really well in VR.

I don't think having first-person VR as a player in a match could ever really work because, as you say, they are running around while you're standing/sitting still... Mini-games like headers, penalties, free kicks etc. similar to Headmaster would be interesting though.

I don't think having first-person VR as a player in a match could ever really work because, as you say, they are running around while you're standing/sitting still.
I never used VR, but what seems to be the problem? How is it different from First Person Shooters in VR..?
BAL seems to be the perfect mode for it. You do everything as normal, just have a possibility to look around.
Headers might be a bit awkward but apart from that should be fine... No?
Just trying to understand..

I read people now praising Pes 2018, when this time of year, last year, everyone was praising Pes 2017 and so happened the last few years.

But i will be honest, there has not been a real good Pes against CPU since ages, since Pes 2013. And even starting from Pes 2012 CPU began to cheat and activate boosts but in much more limited way.

I still remember starting to be frustrated by the way CPU played since then.

I feel like Pes to me is falling into irrilevance. While the gaming world is speeding up forward Pes is so stale and old, unexciting and boring that i dont even know how can Konami recover such a huge growing gap in just few years. I said many many times already, but they need a revolution, tweaks and improvements are not useful anymore. The next opportunity for this revolution could be next gen consoles since in two years they are going to be released and it would be interesting to see how will Konami react.

Will they continue with this obsolete Fox Engine that was never intended for a football game or will they finally create a custom engine for Pes and thus develop every other system around it without any excuses about limited resources or limitations?

I read people now praising Pes 2018, when this time of year, last year, everyone was praising Pes 2017 and so happened the last few years
I skipped 2017 so cant compare them.
I also wouldnt be one to praise 2018.
I prefer 19 from various reasons mentioned above.

Having said that, I cant really argue with the statement that AI was better on 18.
Simply because AI flaws on 18 werent as obvious as they were(are) on 19.

I dont remember playing 18 and thinking

- they never shoot low!
- they never shoot from distance!
- they only have laser aimed top corner shots!
- they always want to do low crosses!

AI on 19 was the most shallow, simplified, aggrevating and predictable AI I have ever seen on any Pes game.

It got better with patches and hopefully it will be polished further.
But at the start it was a clusterfuck and I dont blame all the people who gave up and dont play it anymore.

I never used VR, but what seems to be the problem? How is it different from First Person Shooters in VR..?
BAL seems to be the perfect mode for it. You do everything as normal, just have a possibility to look around.
Headers might be a bit awkward but apart from that should be fine... No?
Just trying to understand..
When there's a disconnect between what you are doing in real life and how the character is moving in the VR, it can mess with your brain and make you feel sick. Some people are affected more than others.

A lot of VR games get around this by letting you move around by teleporting, having the movement related directly to some kind of physical motion (e.g. The Climb) or not using self-motion so much e.g. using vehicles, or having the action come to the player who can interact in their small room-sized area.

There's a lot of info/studies about it if you Google "VR self-motion", "VR motion sickness" etc.

Hi guys do you know why headset doesn't work during online friendly game? I can not talk to my mate as we could on fifa.We just started online games so experiencing basic problems :)

New patch update??? just downloaded n installed ver. 1.08 for ps4... or 3.1. Not sure if that's any gamepay fixes.. maybe just updated online stuff.. not sure. Had one game, but didn't notice any noticeable difference :)

I hope that's a patch to prepare a big post Xmas patch as nothing has changed. Still end to end nonsense, AI looking for and finding square ball unmarked forward goal 2 mins in. Hopeless

Got my first penalty against the ai last night. But the foul was outside the box, it wasn't even close. The tackling defender had his right foot inside the box, he fouled me with his left one clearly outside. This is just ridiculous....

It is. But this are just physics and this ist not what makes it a better game (in my opinion of course). If you are not playing this game online - just singleplayer and mostly ML - the most important thing is the AI. And i'm talking about buying the game on release date and if you put the physics behind and take a look at the AI than PES2018 was the better game. It still is if you play ML in both games and compare it.
I totally agree with this & i believe that the majority of Offline players will also agree.18 is way better regarding AI & how offline matches are played simply because 19 is so bad, in this area.I mean you can have some good time Offline with 19 , enjoying all new better aspects of the game like new turf, ball behavior, lightning, etc. but after you get used to it ,in the end what keeps you playing & enjoy, is your “opponent” after all. Since your opponent plays repeatedly like dump robot & very far from real football, or your attacker just cannot jump to even try attempt a header (not talking about scoring), or GK stand still and so many other things like these that have been mentioned so many times by players, well at least for me, it so clear that I have so better times playing 18 & avoid all the frustration that I had with 19 which by the way I “managed” to have at least 7 ML seasons & after each I was telling to myself I have to stop playing this because is so boring & repetitive…In the end I think that what kept me playing these seasons was the felling to accomplish to start with a really bad team in 2nd division & manage to win some titles in 1st Division & some European trophes.Now that I think of it ,it was more an “Ego” for ML success instead or really enjoying a good ML & the actual games because the in game, vs cpu was bad. I have much better time with ML in 18 since…

Nobody knows, as it happened before ,we hust have to hope that they come up with a super patch that will change how the game plays offline some time before 20 comes out.

PES2019 is surely not not the revelation of soccer AI, but i wonder how you can put the "high-ball-on-wing" focused AI of 2018 over it. To me, 2019 is a lot more varied when it comes to passing precision and shot errors, even on legendary. Especially shooting doesn´t feel laser guided at all to me, i see a lot of misplaced AI shots from close distance, even on legend level.

To me, the only thing which stands out worse than before is the match opening pressure from every team.

The problem is that every year we are ready to buy a worse version of a game just because it's new. That is the main problem...

Well, because it doesn´t look worse at the very first glance.

Also, it doesn´t feel that way.
We know that only after some playing time.
Plus, there always is a lack in communication and information about several features by KONAMI.

They come around with features that are great but miss out working on others that might have worked well in the former version.

Guys do you lot have gervinho on your game? i have run all updates and he is not at parma. It says he is in ivory cost squad on preview panel but when you go transfer him to parma he is not showing in ivory coast team!

this is so odd.

Guys do you lot have gervinho on your game? i have run all updates and he is not at parma. It says he is in ivory cost squad on preview panel but when you go transfer him to parma he is not showing in ivory coast team!

this is so odd.
Have you checked carefully? If he is not in the transfer page, he is already in Parma squad.

P.S. if you check through preview page only,in “transfer player “ there is more than 32 players in roster the “8other players” label is not displayed as it is in player edit section.
In any different case it may be a new bug

Have you checked carefully? If he is not in the transfer page, he is already in Parma squad.

P.S. if you check through preview page only,in “transfer player “ there is more than 32 players in roster the “8other players” label is not displayed as it is in player edit section.
In any different case it may be a new bug
i have gone into both parma and ivory coast and carefully checked squad in transfer section. he isnt there :(

i have gone into both parma and ivory coast and carefully checked squad in transfer section. he isnt there :(
Thats wierd.If he is not in Parma squad, If you goParma/add player/ advanced player search, type "Gervinho", it says result "1 player found" and when you press go, it says no player found then his ID is someway registerd to Parma and it is a bug.

Back
Top Bottom