PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

are you sure you're not AI there, that's a classic AI goal, heading down a great scoring opportunity to someone outside the box to rattle in :D
Ha ha ha...I was in the habit of trying to pass the ball around for some more interesting goals but probably should have had a shot on goal (even the defender tried to clear it with an overhead kick and fell flat when I headered it away from goal).

It didn't show what you changed. Gameplay was better though. I think the AI is just so automatic with their pass first mentality - that it literally feels like keepaway sometimes. Problem with PES overall, too clinical too often.
not sure what happened there. New to this sharing stuff :) . Here is my equador edit. Slowly working through the internationals

It's crazy how this game with all it's flaws keep dragging me back to it.

I've played 2018 more than most PES games since PS2, I'm still playing a few times a week and enjoying it.

I actually think they're very close to having an amazing game. There are a LOT of things that need fixing but it also does a lot right. Some of the things that ruin enjoyment are aesthetic or small and can be fixed (backheels, atmosphere, some keeper animations, ml transfers etc). The issues with shooting variation and tactics/AI are much harder to address but overall I think it's going in the right direction.

I bought FIFA in a psn sale and I just don't think it's anywhere near as good fundamentally. To me, PES represents the ebb and flow of real football better and the dribbling/first touch mechanics are the best I've experienced. I played FIFA more than PES between 12-16 (apart from PES 2014) but I seem to have gone back to PES as my he of choice.

I can only repeat my last postings a couple of pages back.

Sometimes I pop this game in, it´s such a joy...games have depth, games feel good and keep me excited.
Some other day, the matches feel so ugly, so stupid and in the end I wonder why I wasted my time with this.
As I only play ML at the moment, this is due to those scripted matches or whatever it is.

The last couple of days though, this game kept enjoying me. Yesterday I had brilliant games, scored pretty goals, conceded comprehensible ones...I just enjoyed the whole time with this game.
Even the match against Watford (my feared opponent when it comes to scripting) was great.

I don´t wanna come up with any pre- or postpatch placebo stuff, but I felt the ball a lot more loose and free.
This is probably only me though, there is always a lot of time between the days I play this game.

I remember yesterday´s situation though: managed a beautiful pass in the box, my striker shoots right at the goal, the defender slides in the way and the ball bounces off his body in the air in a high bow right at the goal, the keeper parries it in the very last moment.
Had quite a lot of situations like this!

Loving hours like these when I play this game...

I've played 2018 more than most PES games since PS2, I'm still playing a few times a week and enjoying it.

I actually think they're very close to having an amazing game. There are a LOT of things that need fixing but it also does a lot right. Some of the things that ruin enjoyment are aesthetic or small and can be fixed (backheels, atmosphere, some keeper animations, ml transfers etc). The issues with shooting variation and tactics/AI are much harder to address but overall I think it's going in the right direction.

I bought FIFA in a psn sale and I just don't think it's anywhere near as good fundamentally. To me, PES represents the ebb and flow of real football better and the dribbling/first touch mechanics are the best I've experienced. I played FIFA more than PES between 12-16 (apart from PES 2014) but I seem to have gone back to PES as my he of choice.

Yeah I agree. I think they have individuality really spot on in most cases. I use Ajax a lot online and Ziyech are amazing, you just feel that you can do anything with him with just the slightest touch of the left stick or a quick pass, you never get that feeling with FIFA. The next step is to get Team individuality right as well, especially for all you offline- players out there.

It didn't show what you changed. Gameplay was better though. I think the AI is just so automatic with their pass first mentality - that it literally feels like keepaway sometimes. Problem with PES overall, too clinical too often.
Matt I completly agree with this! Imagine pes 2018 with pes 2015 gameplay where players actually really rare play first touch passes, instead of that if you cover your midfield good they start to pass back to cb`s. This will slow the pace of the game a lot and will be more realistic. For me pes 2015 has nailed the gamplay but flaws like manual headers and catch up bug were the main issues. Problem with Konami is that they are shifting from one direction to another every year and they can`t make real progress that way. When they jump on Fox engine I remember when I saw first gameplay videos with Thomas Muller how players move and how game mechanics is working I was amazed but few months after that the game was complete mess, quess we learned then that game should be judged when it`s released and not by videos made from developer. Just imagine how pes will play today if they stick to that idea and build every year new improved version of the game... wrong decisions every year, probably that`s in their DNA :D

Yeah I agree. I think they have individuality really spot on in most cases. I use Ajax a lot online and Ziyech are amazing, you just feel that you can do anything with him with just the slightest touch of the left stick or a quick pass, you never get that feeling with FIFA. The next step is to get Team individuality right as well, especially for all you offline- players out there.

Very true!
I thought this was only me, but since you and a few others mentioned individuality with some players, this must be something that´s done completely right by KONAMI.

Having classic players on, I bought Michael Owen as the second striker next to Mbappe. Owen is in his early 20´s and has really high stats, but somehow he doesn´t seem to get into the game, even team spirit is quite okay.

Since he had a bad form I replaced him with Che Adams, who has a lot lower stats but is fast and agile. But his guy is great and when he´s on the pitch, Mbappe has a lot more chances and shots on the goal. Plus, Adams seems to be better integrated in the team, has better positioning and creates and uses more chances to score than Owen did.
Made me think Owen was a bad purchase.

I love that, felt that in 2017 already with big transfers like Balotelli etc who turned out to be bad transfers.
I hope that will never get lost.

With all the flaws and things they could improve and all that, sometimes we need to highlight the positives :).

Matt I completly agree with this! Imagine pes 2018 with pes 2015 gameplay where players actually really rare play first touch passes, instead of that if you cover your midfield good they start to pass back to cb`s. This will slow the pace of the game a lot and will be more realistic.
I actually managed to get the CPU to do that in 2018. I always make sure I block their passing lanes and this forces them to keep the ball and find other options, which is mostly passing it back to the defenders.

Now I don't know if that's me just learned how to play better or it's a result of one of the latest patches. But I like to think it's me since I noticed the change after learning how to block CPU's vision.

Pace is superb in this game,it has ruined my 17,can’t play it anymore,feels like a F1 game.
And that’s on -1 game speed.
To bad the rest of the game is wonky as hell,as soon as I’ve started to have some fun,it goes down the back heel/insane scripting/chipped through ball path

i totally agree with the points you make but there is something better about the game in ML when you get your team up to 95 TS i play on superstar and can batter the AI or overcome scripting a lot of the time. I won the coppa italia in my 5th season my first cup since 2016 and I dominated Napoli in the final around september october time i was losing 5-0 to these big teams

and yea the chipped through balls are annoying as aint they but id say i have learned to defend them much better off the ball all these things ruined the game for me few months back but i think i finally got my moneys worth and enjoyment out of what this game is

i totally agree with the points you make but there is something better about the game in ML when you get your team up to 95 TS i play on superstar and can batter the AI or overcome scripting a lot of the time and the chipped through balls are annoying still but id say i have learned to defend them much better off the ball all these things ruined the game for me few months back but i think i finally got my moneys worth and enjoyment out of what this game is
Yeah you’re right mate,I don’t play this game enough,I’m at a rookie level again,have hardly played it in months,so the learning curve/patience is very low.
I know if I get cracking at it again,I’ll like again,but it’s so easy to just pick up my Fifa and have good games.
I’m shure I’ll return to it again.
Glad you enjoy it pal,can’t really play a ML/career in Italy on Fifa,love doing that on Pes

Matt I completly agree with this! Imagine pes 2018 with pes 2015 gameplay where players actually really rare play first touch passes, instead of that if you cover your midfield good they start to pass back to cb`s. This will slow the pace of the game a lot and will be more realistic. For me pes 2015 has nailed the gamplay but flaws like manual headers and catch up bug were the main issues. Problem with Konami is that they are shifting from one direction to another every year and they can`t make real progress that way. When they jump on Fox engine I remember when I saw first gameplay videos with Thomas Muller how players move and how game mechanics is working I was amazed but few months after that the game was complete mess, quess we learned then that game should be judged when it`s released and not by videos made from developer. Just imagine how pes will play today if they stick to that idea and build every year new improved version of the game... wrong decisions every year, probably that`s in their DNA :D

I think people have short memories! PES2015 was a decent game but the AI gameplay were so one dimensional. there were two styles, tiki taka where teams one touch passed it around the back, rarely got past the halfway line, and kept the ball regardless of whether they were 2-0 down in the 80th minute or the like. and we had the long balls to the wings, for players to sprint onto and cross first time for the centre forward to glance a header at the far post.

Wasn't 15 the dreadful response time one with headers and the AI constantly looking for bottom corner...i recall 14 , 15 and 16 all having different game breaking issues

I also give some new chances to PES 2018 cause of the rapid pace of PES 2017. I have given a different approach in defending (one of the many different apporaches i tried this year, by defending only with very well timed (X) press and using the left stick also in the right time to block AI's vision. It demands more focus and it gets me tired faster but it has some result in Toplayer. I can say i enjoy it 50% by now.

Now about 2015,you will call me crazy for sure, but its gameplay was the big factor that made me want to buy the game and i found the gameplay physics/mechanics pretty oldschool and decent. I don't know why! :) After the 2011-2013 period and pes 2014 i thought PES was finished for me. Then i saw a gameplay video of pes 2015 on youtube and i was so much attracted. Maybe the new player models that were bigger again,maybe the UI with player name/bars that came back. It totally gave me a primitive feeling like the first time i saw PES 3 (2004), looked so oldschool beautifull. Even today i can't explain why, but i assume it as the best PES during the period 2008-2016.
I remember when i upgraded to PES 2016, how disappointed i felt again when i saw the ping-pong passing,the rushy gameplay with water-polo scores.But i didn't want to go back to pes 2015, despite better gameplay, because there were for sure some game-breaking issues. The bigger of them as you mentioned, the AI exclusively shooting with R2 in the low corners all the time and the other main factor was the player stats presentation. No stats polygons, only the stupid ranking of TEC/SPE/PHY and extra confusing menus for team management in Master League, i.e. needed to skip 3 menu screens to assign a player in transferlist.

But i know it is awkward for the most PES players to find PES 2015 so good, so many times i think that maybe i am a little bit crazy! :P BTW from time to time i play some matches in pes 2015 on my laptop and i score some goals with very awarding and variable shooting trajectories!

Last edited:
As for defending in 2018, I'm having much better results if the player that I control covers the potential ball receiver and/or maintains the overall shape of the formation, while harassing the ball carrier with secondary pressure button (shoot). Though, not being too agressive with secondary pressure. If not overdone, the teammates AI during secondary pressure is quite competent at both blocking some passing options and disposessing the AI opponent.

I also give some new chances to PES 2018 cause of the rapid pace of PES 2017. I have given a different approach in defending (one of the many different apporaches i tried this year, by defending only with very well timed (X) press and using the left stick also in the right time to block AI's vision. It demands more focus and it gets me tired faster but it has some result in Toplayer. I can say i enjoy it 50% by now.

Now about 2015,you will call me crazy for sure, but its gameplay was the big factor that made me want to buy the game and i found the gameplay physics/mechanics pretty oldschool and decent. I don't know why! :) After the 2011-2013 period and pes 2014 i thought PES was finished for me. Then i saw a gameplay video of pes 2015 on youtube and i was so much attracted. Maybe the new player models that were bigger again,maybe the UI with player name/bars that came back. It totally gave me a primitive feeling like the first time i saw PES 3 (2004), looked so oldschool beautifull. Even today i can't explain why, but i assume it as the best PES during the period 2008-2016.
I remember when i upgraded to PES 2016, how disappointed i felt again when i saw the ping-pong passing,the rushy gameplay with water-polo scores.But i didn't want to go back to pes 2015, despite better gameplay, because there were for sure some game-breaking issues. The bigger of them as you mentioned, the AI exclusively shooting with R2 in the low corners all the time and the other main factor was the player stats presentation. No stats polygons, only the stupid ranking of TEC/SPE/PHY and extra confusing menus for team management in Master League, i.e. needed to skip 3 menu screens to assign a player in transferlist.

But i know it is awkward for the most PES players to find PES 2015 so good, so many times i think that maybe i am a little bit crazy! :P BTW from time to time i play some matches in pes 2015 on my laptop and i score some goals with very awarding and variable shooting trajectories!
Im with you on the 15 being good,i find it very good,remember not liking it at first,but I guess they patched it tw the end,I prefer it to 18 for sure.
Downside is the insane scorelines from other games being simmed

Had a go at 18 today,played a few games.
But...it's awful!
Sorry,can't really like gameplay like this
Might be shit at it right now,but FFS,this tiki taka/lofted pass is killing it.
And it's my opinion,if you like it good for you,that's what matters right?
First goal looked a copy to this btw.

Last edited:
But...it's awful!
Ugh.

What difficulty is this?

Ugh.

What difficulty is this?
Top player,manual passing,I've had a few good ones on proffesional earlier,just to get back in to it,I usually,or should I say "used to play" TP,but it's a clear no go zone for me.
But at the same time,euro games have always been horrendous

Last edited by a moderator:
Top player,manual passing,I've had a few good ones on proffesional earlier,just to get back in to it,I usually,or should I say "used to play" TP,but it's a clear no go zone for me.
But at the same time,euro games have always been horrendous
Yea I think I'll stick to Professional too.

But...it's awful!

Yes, the game is rather horrible and inconsistent with the default tactics.

These problem still exist even with good tactics but it makes the game nice and very playable, PES 2018 has flaws however the poor default tactics just make things worse, also the AI are a core to play against. Its like you beat them by out doing their tactics but you usual win in a very horrible, bland and almost cheap way which isn't fun.

But...it's awful!

If there's a better example of what makes the offline AI so awful I'd like to see it.

Im with you on the 15 being good,i find it very good,remember not liking it at first,but I guess they patched it tw the end,I prefer it to 18 for sure.
Downside is the insane scorelines from other games being simmed

Yeah i forgot this. SIM match scores and simulation of others matches was complete broken. In every series ML when you are in runner up position in the LEague the leading team doesn't loose any points at all ,but i remember in 2015 me being with Leeds 2nd place and Chelsea 1st.They had only 2 draws mid-season against me and all other wins. In the final fixtures when i had some bad results i was checking the league results and noticed that when i used to loose a match, Chelsea lost for example 2-6!!! from Ipswicth Town!!!!

As for the 2018 to be honest i haven't touched Superstar since DLC.3, but i have a personal theory, difficulty doesn't matter so much between top-player/professional in terms of CPU-AI gameplay and players stats execution. It only tunes/tweaks the script overboosting the CPU. So for example, in professional the scripts turns on in case you are leading by one goal, in TopPlayer in the same plus random moments when the match is 0-0 and CPU wants the win and in Super the 70% of the game is scripted when CPU wants the win or is tailing in the score. BY scripting i dont mean magical scenarios, just making your players stats dont work properly and making the CPU playing far better than their Overall-Player-Rating.

Yes, the game is rather horrible and inconsistent with the default tactics.

These problem still exist even with good tactics but it makes the game nice and very playable, PES 2018 has flaws however the poor default tactics just make things worse, also the AI are a core to play against. Its like you beat them by out doing their tactics but you usual win in a very horrible, bland and almost cheap way which isn't fun.
Very true pal,I got a feeling when I played played on top player yesterday that I could pretty much "foresee" when and what would happen.
Not the same story on professional,feels more lose,and almost like playing a human.

Problem is for me, professional gets a bit to easy after a while.
Same issue when playing both my pes 17 and 15 which I played yesterday as well.

Gotta say that on TP my 15 felt less "robotic" in how the CPU behaved,and when to expect a goal coming.

So it has to do with some sort of lazy or sloppy coding when playing on a harder difficulty.

I honestly think Pes 15-17-18 plays well on professional,a bit poorly set up in how the CPU works their tactics and positioning.
Most of all,the element of "wow" isn't there anymore

Yeah i forgot this. SIM match scores and simulation of others matches was complete broken. In every series ML when you are in runner up position in the LEague the leading team doesn't loose any points at all ,but i remember in 2015 me being with Leeds 2nd place and Chelsea 1st.They had only 2 draws mid-season against me and all other wins. In the final fixtures when i had some bad results i was checking the league results and noticed that when i used to loose a match, Chelsea lost for example 2-6!!! from Ipswicth Town!!!!

As for the 2018 to be honest i haven't touched Superstar since DLC.3, but i have a personal theory, difficulty doesn't matter so much between top-player/professional in terms of CPU-AI gameplay and players stats execution. It only tunes/tweaks the script overboosting the CPU. So for example, in professional the scripts turns on in case you are leading by one goal, in TopPlayer in the same plus random moments when the match is 0-0 and CPU wants the win and in Super the 70% of the game is scripted when CPU wants the win or is tailing in the score. BY scripting i dont mean magical scenarios, just making your players stats dont work properly and making the CPU playing far better than their Overall-Player-Rating.
That's the thing pal,very well put.
The scripting is so lazy,just make your players horrible,and I mean very poor all over,and you'll have no chance of winning.
Scripting in FIFA are much more subtle,and more based on your form.

If there's a better example of what makes the offline AI so awful I'd like to see it.
I wish I'd recorded the first one,that was as bad if not worse.
I'd take that chipped pass in the end when they scored,if he had to work for it,maybe get a flick,or a bad touch,but here,just controls the ball with ease,stops and bangs it home

Yea I think I'll stick to Professional too.
That's probably a very good idea,and it plays alright on professional,same on 17,not as horrible on TP on 27 either.
Problem is for me,the "wow" factor isn't there anymore,if it is,it's for the wrong reasons

Completely true. Professional is so beautiful to watch the AI playing fluid, free, real football. Mostly grounded passes, less L1+Δ spam,waiting to build-up and create the empty space needed in attack,not forcing them, less backheel-pass defending inside the penalty area. The only problem is what you describe, it gets too easy over time. It feels like a tiger without teeth!
As for scripting i miss the 2011-2013 scripting sometimes, when the only deal with script algorithm 9/10 times was :
IF CPU needs a goal in minute 85+
THEN
i)foul-free kick from 35m->direct GOAL for COM!
ii)magnetic corner kick->header GOAL for COM!

Back
Top Bottom