PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

Auto feint doesn't automatically pull off feints, it merely simplifies doing feints with the right stick.

Serious question: how many folk set marking assignments before kick-off? Change them throughout a match too?

I use that all the time in PES 2017. But for Master League. I almost never play Online.
And I usually do not change it throught the match. I love man marking assignments. Specially when playing against giant teams.
But, for example, Fluid Formations is something I never quite liked. Too complex and not well implemented for my taste.

i just uploaded a full manual 1vs1 match from last night:
like, comment, subscribe... or just hate it! ;)

Pro too.. . I was about to kick off against you yesterday morning .. .we were setting up tactics when the internet maintenance crew were on the road and knocked off my connection ha ha.

What's the run into the back of you at speed and take the ball from you all about ?. . .happens too often.

Noted, and agree. I've got no problem with getting dispossessed or at least caught napping like that, but I just wish the player tackling you like that gets knocked a wee bit off balance and loses speed too.

Noted, and agree. I've got no problem with getting dispossessed or at least caught napping like that, but I just wish the player tackling you like that gets knocked a wee bit off balance and loses speed too.

How do you find manual ?.. . .when they spoke about passing errors I thought that they meant long balls or medium range passes but 2 yards away and your pass goes astray?

I miss the days of turning your back on the defender and winning a free kick if he barged into you or being able to shield it with the solid players.

This shit of running through someone to get a ball needs to be relooked as it happens regardless of who the players are.

Exactly zee I played a guy last night . . and he knew every trick in the book . . .he could second guess every pass and had himself positioned to pick up every loose ball. . .the rare moments that I got the ball with my back to them he would just barge into me at speed and take the ball.. .every fuckin time . .. unless it's a case of if you don't apply shielding they can just rob the ball all the time.

I miss the days of turning your back on the defender and winning a free kick if he barged into you or being able to shield it with the solid players.

This shit of running through someone to get a ball needs to be relooked as it happens regardless of who the players are.
Has this been fed back to adam and co

I need to play it more to see how the new shielding mechanism works. I so much prefer the right stick method they had for PES gone by where you could shove, barge or keep a arm out with the right stick.

I think the new system involves leaving the controller which is just daft.

Adam has time and again reiterated that we should not be judging the gameplay based on the beta as it's way different on the demo. So I haven't fed back on the gameplay much.

Shielding is one of the elements that detracts from the simulation feel of the game.

Yeah so considering this is only a beta I'm enjoying it so far.
I'd ask the developers to look at/improve the following aspects for the full release

Online Exerience

1. 3v3 is extremely laggy. If it can't run as smoothly as 1v1 it's pointless putting it in the full game

2. Skill moves animations are very sluggish. These need to be speeded up otherwise it's just pure luck if you get past an opposing player with them.

3. Bring back Pitch Side camera angle for online matches

4. Allow customisation for all online camera angles (surely the whole point of the beta is to improve the online experience. Now is the perfect time to allow custom cams and to test/improve the effects it has on the overall online experience.

5. The pop up mid game showing player stats is too big/obtrusive and actually blocks the view of the players I'm trying to control.

6. We shouldn't be able to see our online opponents power bar. Tis can give away their intentions and feels like a cheat

7. Shouldn't be able to skip opponents replays

8. Player switching (choice of next player controlled) is poor

9. Automatic substitutes, when set to "flexible" always happen in the last few minutes of the matches

Other Gameplay Issues (I know that's not the purpose of the beta but just putting it out there with the hope these things can be improved for full release)

1. Headed shots are too soft & floaty

2. Too many slow motion/gravity defying goalkeeper dives & saves. They are so noticeable and take away from the realistic looking game Konami are trying to produce.

3. A.I goalkeepers rarely venture from their line. This narrows the choices for strikers and goal variations like rounding the keeper or chip finishes

4. Shooting is STILL so boring and lifeless. This game desperately needs more shot variations, all shots off target seem to follow the same trajectory, keepers need to act/move realistically in relation to the shot, nets don't react realistically to the shot, the ball doesn't react realistically to hitting the net. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a way of making the whole experience of scoring goals look realistic (the other game wns this one hands down I'm afraid)

5. The Dynamic Live camera angle is pretty good imo but please get rid of the zooming in and changing angles while the game plays out. Just leave it fixed and allow us to slightly customise height and zoom to our own preference

6. I've noticed last man defenders only being given yellow cards for blatant sliding fouls, bringing down attackers whent they're in on goal. Must see red cards for this type of foul

7. My player jogging next to the ball as it runs out the side of the pitch!! Just stop it! Such obvious scripting is not needed. If it is within reach my player should be able to keep the ball in play rather than watching it roll over the line.

8. The shieldng works well when backing up against an opposing player but it's still too easy to lose possession of the ball when running with a physically strong player. Shielding doesn't seem to work when sprinting

9. 3v3 Co-Op points system. I shouldn't lose points for giving away a standing tackle foul unless my player is booked.

Overall, from what I've seen of the beta, there have been some nice improvements but unfortunately not enough in the areas that have been lacking for so many iterations. The final third in PES really needs a massive overhaul and has done for a number of years. The whole shooting/scoring experience just doesn't look realistic in either the physics or randomness of plays. This would be my number 1 complaint and my ony reason for buying FIFA over PES. I know it's still a fairly early code I'm playing and I would expect to see more improvements by full release but, going by previous experience and seeing the same issues year after year I don't hold out much hope of seeing my main issue being improved on any time soon

How do you find manual ?.. . .when they spoke about passing errors I thought that they meant long balls or medium range passes but 2 yards away and your pass goes astray?

I do like, but it isn't without its frustrations but I'm trying to lay blame at me for the moment. I do agree that very short passes feel a bit off and have taken to using manual modifier to gauge and try direct them, but this online environment is proving a harsh one to practice in, and find myself doing a lot of defensive practice as a result, ha! In saying that, I don't think I should be needing to practice the short game as much as I am finding myself having too as like you say, we are talking 2 yard passes here.

I do like, but it isn't without its frustrations but I'm trying to lay blame at me for the moment. I do agree that very short passes feel a bit off and have taken to using manual modifier to gauge and try direct them, but this online environment is proving a harsh one to practice in, and find myself doing a lot of defensive practice as a result, ha! In saying that, I don't think I should be needing to practice the short game as much as I am finding myself having too as like you say, we are talking 2 yard passes here.

Just a pity that there isn't a training mode on it because some of the guys that I've come up against were excellent . .. .they must have been on the beta all day . .very skilful players.. .you're right though I do blame myself as well for most of the hit and miss stuff.

Last edited:
Just a pity that there isn't a training mode on it because some of the guys that I've come up against were excellent . .. .they must have been on the beta all day . .very skilful players.. .you're right though I do blame myself as well for most of the hit and miss stuff.

I agree I played about 6 games last night because I just wanted to win (I'm such a child). I was getting so frustrated. It's funny it seems that the first few passes that the opposition makes go out for a throw in. Just to make me think that they rubbish and then they suddenly turn it on like they have the full game at home.

I was playing ok but went 5 games without scoring, although I scored an own goal with Griezman who seems to run about everywhere. Funny though he didn't do his annoying celebration.

I actually won the last game 1-0 but that was because of my opponent scoring an own goal.

I am enjoying it but I don't really like online, I can never understand how, when it lags, it always favours my opponent. It's like they are pressing some button to make my players lag at the crucial moment.

I do like the shooting, it seems really loose and difficult to get a shot on target. It can literally go anywhere on manual and I find that it depends how you shape to shoot. Especially if I put a quick low cross into the box and I strike it first time it normally goes into row z which is a good thing.

I am really looking forward to release and I have ordered it now but I will give it a break now though as I prefer to play against the CPU. So will go back to ML PES2017.

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. My games today were 3-0, 4-0, 7-2 and 2-0. Just incomparable to the first few games where I had no idea how to score.

Show me the Varane one then :)

anyways the point is that every single player in PES18 shoots the exact same way, regardless of what foot they strike the ball with. It's like stats have absolutely no impact.

Yeah, you're right. Defenders of a wide range of skills, quality or lack thereof, NEVER score absolute screamers of all types...

Never happens. Ever.

I've just provided you with a couple of quick hits off youtube showing defenders scoring unbelievably amazing goals, with many of those strikes not considered to be within the players skill-set. Yeah, there are some in there from folk who are known to be able to strike a ball, but anything can happen if a player, of any level, is given time and space to smack a ball or somewhat ironically if they don't have any time to think at all.

To say every player shoots exactly the same (excluding them using their foot) is wholly inaccurate. Any player can kick the ball with a bit of venom towards the area of the goal, but some are clearly better than others. I'm not even trying to suggest shooting is perfect or anything, just that it isn't the exact same for every single player... beyond them kicking it.

Last edited:
Yeah so considering this is only a beta I'm enjoying it so far.
I'd ask the developers to look at/improve the following aspects for the full release

Online Exerience

1. 3v3 is extremely laggy. If it can't run as smoothly as 1v1 it's pointless putting it in the full game

2. Skill moves animations are very sluggish. These need to be speeded up otherwise it's just pure luck if you get past an opposing player with them.

3. Bring back Pitch Side camera angle for online matches

4. Allow customisation for all online camera angles (surely the whole point of the beta is to improve the online experience. Now is the perfect time to allow custom cams and to test/improve the effects it has on the overall online experience.

5. The pop up mid game showing player stats is too big/obtrusive and actually blocks the view of the players I'm trying to control.

6. We shouldn't be able to see our online opponents power bar. Tis can give away their intentions and feels like a cheat

7. Shouldn't be able to skip opponents replays

8. Player switching (choice of next player controlled) is poor

9. Automatic substitutes, when set to "flexible" always happen in the last few minutes of the matches

Other Gameplay Issues (I know that's not the purpose of the beta but just putting it out there with the hope these things can be improved for full release)

1. Headed shots are too soft & floaty

2. Too many slow motion/gravity defying goalkeeper dives & saves. They are so noticeable and take away from the realistic looking game Konami are trying to produce.

3. A.I goalkeepers rarely venture from their line. This narrows the choices for strikers and goal variations like rounding the keeper or chip finishes

4. Shooting is STILL so boring and lifeless. This game desperately needs more shot variations, all shots off target seem to follow the same trajectory, keepers need to act/move realistically in relation to the shot, nets don't react realistically to the shot, the ball doesn't react realistically to hitting the net. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a way of making the whole experience of scoring goals look realistic (the other game wns this one hands down I'm afraid)

5. The Dynamic Live camera angle is pretty good imo but please get rid of the zooming in and changing angles while the game plays out. Just leave it fixed and allow us to slightly customise height and zoom to our own preference

6. I've noticed last man defenders only being given yellow cards for blatant sliding fouls, bringing down attackers whent they're in on goal. Must see red cards for this type of foul

7. My player jogging next to the ball as it runs out the side of the pitch!! Just stop it! Such obvious scripting is not needed. If it is within reach my player should be able to keep the ball in play rather than watching it roll over the line.

8. The shieldng works well when backing up against an opposing player but it's still too easy to lose possession of the ball when running with a physically strong player. Shielding doesn't seem to work when sprinting

9. 3v3 Co-Op points system. I shouldn't lose points for giving away a standing tackle foul unless my player is booked.

Overall, from what I've seen of the beta, there have been some nice improvements but unfortunately not enough in the areas that have been lacking for so many iterations. The final third in PES really needs a massive overhaul and has done for a number of years. The whole shooting/scoring experience just doesn't look realistic in either the physics or randomness of plays. This would be my number 1 complaint and my ony reason for buying FIFA over PES. I know it's still a fairly early code I'm playing and I would expect to see more improvements by full release but, going by previous experience and seeing the same issues year after year I don't hold out much hope of seeing my main issue being improved on any time soon

Select widecam and mess about with height, zoom and angle. Not got my settings handy at the moment but that is what I have done and I have found a look not too different at all from the pitchside cam I use for offline in PES2017.

Yeah, you're right. Defenders of a wide range of skills, quality or lack thereof, NEVER score absolute screamers of all types...
Never happens. Ever.

That's not the point. Every player can now and then score a screamer with weaker foot and you see this kind of rocket shots to often - every game! So the heart of the problem is that it's just too easy to pull off these shots. If shooting was more difficult, contextual, individualistic, and made you feel like you really scored the goal instead of just pressing a button and waiting for the outcome.
In the past when shooting was great and rewarding, we know we achieved something when we scored a goal like that, speccially with default ML players. It was a junction of stats, form arrow, monentum and balance and position, all things that get lost in the way to what we have nowadays. Every single player in PES18 shoots the exact same way (rocket shots), regardless of what foot they strike the ball with. It's like stats have absolutely no impact.

Alright man you win ... let's keep the thread on track no need to post 5 you tube clips :S

Last edited:
this game was pretty fun on first day day of the beta, I'd say enthusiasts of the game were playing on that day, now I can't seem to find opponents who are not retarded, 3vs3 is a mess - people dribbling and losing possession every time they have the ball...it's terrible

it was perfectly playable before - now with bigger server load it's laggy and people that play it are just fkn dumb as hell

not fun anymore

That's not the point. Every player can now and then score a screamer with weaker foot and you see this kind of rocket shots to often - every game! So the heart of the problem is that it's just too easy to pull off these shots. If shooting was more difficult, contextual, individualistic, and made you feel like you really scored the goal instead of just pressing a button and waiting for the outcome.
In the past when shooting was great and rewarding, we know we achieved something when we scored a goal like that, speccially with default ML players. It was a junction of stats, form arrow, monentum and balance and position, all things that get lost in the way to what we have nowadays. Every single player in PES18 shoots the exact same way (rocket shots), regardless of what foot they strike the ball with. It's like stats have absolutely no impact.

That in bold. Not accurate.

this game was pretty fun on first day day of the beta, I'd say enthusiasts of the game were playing on that day, now I can't seem to find opponents who are not retarded, 3vs3 is a mess - people dribbling and losing possession every time they have the ball...it's terrible

it was perfectly playable before - now with bigger server load it's laggy and people that play it are just fkn dumb as hell

not fun anymore

So the game is not fun or the players ?

Online/Offline is two different "fun" things

Back
Top Bottom