PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

I agree I played about 6 games last night because I just wanted to win (I'm such a child). I was getting so frustrated. It's funny it seems that the first few passes that the opposition makes go out for a throw in. Just to make me think that they rubbish and then they suddenly turn it on like they have the full game at home.

I was playing ok but went 5 games without scoring, although I scored an own goal with Griezman who seems to run about everywhere. Funny though he didn't do his annoying celebration.

I actually won the last game 1-0 but that was because of my opponent scoring an own goal.

I am enjoying it but I don't really like online, I can never understand how, when it lags, it always favours my opponent. It's like they are pressing some button to make my players lag at the crucial moment.

I do like the shooting, it seems really loose and difficult to get a shot on target. It can literally go anywhere on manual and I find that it depends how you shape to shoot. Especially if I put a quick low cross into the box and I strike it first time it normally goes into row z which is a good thing.

I am really looking forward to release and I have ordered it now but I will give it a break now though as I prefer to play against the CPU. So will go back to ML PES2017.

You're right Geeeee I thought that with the lag my opponent was getting the advantage. . ..weird I was talking to vxcymplx this morning on this and decided to try the beta and I got matched up with him. . .it was lagsville. .. I thought someone spiked me porridge with LSD . .it ended 0-0 . . here's the strange part. . I recorded it and it came out normal . .no Mr Lag.

Idk how alot of you are struggling with lag. Over 50 or so matches I've had, not a single game had a SLIGHT amount of lag. I am in USA, 100mbps internet speed. Perhaps its your connection to blame ?

The more I play this game the more I do like it. Really!

But today I had awful opponents and I'm really pissed off right now while I'm writing this.
1st: this is a beta. Why the fuck are idiots out there quitting, trying to win at all costs and rainbow flicking the whole frigging time??? What's wrong with people???

2nd: what the hell is that fucking feint thing?? I am sprinting and the defender is running along my side coming closer.
I'm approaching the sideline but I know I'm going to pull back and pass to another player. What happens? The moment I release R1 and pull back the stick, my player is not stopping and changing direction (I'm aware that players are heavier now but there been like 5 meters distance to the sideline....enough space), he is doing a feint move with his upper body part and runs over the damn sideline!!!

3rd: please fix the refs! I had so many sliding whores....whenever I have space and get a chance there are opponents who keep sliding all the time and never get punished the way they should. Even not when it's the last man. Pls let refs be harder on this as there are freaks out there abusing this shit!

I'm so mad!!!! Aaarrrgghhh!
But hell.....i love this game!

Please excuse my language :(

3rd: please fix the refs! I had so many sliding whores....whenever I have space and get a chance there are opponents who keep sliding all the time and never get punished the way they should. Even not when it's the last man. Pls let refs be harder on this as there are freaks out there abusing this shit!

Same problem, every game, every year..

Older PES games had Referee strictness right? Having it again will solve half of these issues.

OK 9/10 games ^^ I see it personally every game. Every player can now perform a rocket shot with weaker foot and you see this kind of rocket shots to often.

Y'see comments like this I am always going to be looking to challenge.

So why don't we open it up to everybody. Everybody plays ten games and tries to record every single rocket shot by a defender using his weaker foot? However, there is/are conditions, seeing as we all want to be playing the same kind of football game, apparently:

- We don't shoot using defenders striking it with their weak foot; we don't from distance with defenders, at all. We leave that up to our opponents over those ten games. I mean surely, if we all don't want to play a game in which there are rocket shots from defenders, we wouldn't actually be playing the game and looking to do that ourselves, right? That would be really weird, playing a football game exactly the way you don't want a football game to play, especially one in which there are numerous others way to create and score goals. Can only speak for myself, but I'd rather concentrate on my own game and style, which is not looking to take rocket shots with defenders.

- F**k it! I'm just going to refer to that above again, just to make it clear: we, that is any of us who want to take part, strictly won't shoot with a defender from distance using their weaker foot.

I think we in all the communities look down on a lot of our opposition as we just assume they are casuals, not hardcore, thus don't want to play proper realistic football. They will definitely be shooting with defenders from distance all the time then as it is so easy and overpowered. If ten folk were to do it, and if Power25 is right, then if we were to post all the goals alone, scored with rocket shots from defenders by our opposition that succeed 9/10 times, then I'll say... I dunno, I'll say we have a very good chance of seeing around 30 rocket shot goals by defenders over those 100 hundred games, and I think I might be conservative in that estimation. I mean, 9/10 times it happens in every match apparently.

What I suspect might happen is the number of goals scored by defender rocket shots, using their natural foot or not, will be rather low. That would bring me to the question(s):

Could it be that it is some of us who are playing the game wrong, not the "casuals" or whatever?

Again, why would any of us look to play the game that way, rocket-shotting with defenders, if it isn't to how we claim to want our football games to play?

If a test was run like this among us and the results came back shockingly low, I would still be open to further consideration and discussion about it and number of other things that are so readily claimed about the game, or the "casuals"

The thing is, what I would want to then discuss is why anyone would want to play a game in fashion that is a complete contradiction to how they claim to want to play a game. Surely we want to be practising that which we preach round here.

I await my 30 rocket shot goals by defenders from our opponents team only.

Just seen something really cool in a match I played...

Reasons not put a man on the line at freekicks...
1)
2)
I love how on the first one my 2 players went in the goal mouth after he stuck the guy on the line, so I thought I'd dink it over the wall.
On the second one I like how the guy on the line seemed to get in the goalies way, so it backfired on the guy!

Y'see comments like this I am always going to be looking to challenge.
So why don't we open it up to everybody. Everybody plays ten games and tries to record every single rocket shot by a defender using his weaker foot? However, there is/are conditions, seeing as we all want to be playing the same kind of football game, apparently:

I think you misunderstood me. I am not only refering to this one situation when you try to shot with a defender from distance. The shots in PES 17/18 are overall to hard/rocket like and to precise - even the goalkeeper catches the ball or the ball goes 1cm near the post. Stats, form arrow, monentum and balance and position, all things does not play a big role compared to older PES games as PES6 but still you are able to create rocket shots (not refering to the videos).

Last edited:
That's not the point. Every player can now and then score a screamer with weaker foot and you see this kind of rocket shots to often - every game! So the heart of the problem is that it's just too easy to pull off these shots. If shooting was more difficult, contextual, individualistic, and made you feel like you really scored the goal instead of just pressing a button and waiting for the outcome.
In the past when shooting was great and rewarding, we know we achieved something when we scored a goal like that, speccially with default ML players. It was a junction of stats, form arrow, monentum and balance and position, all things that get lost in the way to what we have nowadays. Every single player in PES18 shoots the exact same way (rocket shots), regardless of what foot they strike the ball with. It's like stats have absolutely no impact.

I'll echo this but it's not just an issue for these rocket shots. Most shots I have feel very automated.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood me. I am not only refering to this one situation when you try to shot with a defender from distance. The shots in PES 17/18 are overall to hard/rocket like and to precise - even the goalkeeper catches the ball or the ball goes 1cm near the post. Stats, form arrow, monentum and balance and position, all things does not play a big role compared to older PES games as PES6 but still you are able to create rocket shots (not refering to the videos).

Sorry lads. More video...

That was just a selection of someone's favourite goals by players using their weaker foot. They don't include efforts that were close things or even easy enough takes by the keeper despite there being a fair bit of venom on the strike, which you do see in football more than you think you do. I highly doubt anyone could conceivably put something like that together: a video of ALL Lionel Messi's shots that he has struck with his right foot (and I mean all of them) for example. That would be an awful lot of football that would need watching, not simply compiling a video of great goals that are all over the internet.

By the way, one game down and my opposition hit exactly zero rocket-shots with a defender. Are you sure you aren't the one trying to hit these rocket shots with defenders?

That was just a selection of someone's favourite goals by players using their weaker foot.

Bingo. This is a selection from top players and how many games? 100? I am not saying its not possible. The main issue it happens way to often in PES 17/18 even with avarage players. I see in 9/10 games rockets shots. Lets make it short:

Do you find the shots in PES 17/18 overall (way) to hard/rocket like?
Do you think that palyer stats and position does not play a big role when it comes to shooting compared to older PES games as PES6?

Considering this is a beta. Considering i have never liked online matches. Considering i do not like playing with the big teams (or against them, especially when human controlled). Considering all these things, i did have a lot of fun with this beta. Have not had so much fun since the PS2 days.

I had a friend over and we player 2v2 untill 4 o clock at midnight. We lost most matches but after every match we where determent to do better, try out different formation settings etc.

The individual scores really proof the be a nice minigame that makes you appreciate every descision you make.

Just seen something really cool in a match I played...

Reasons not put a man on the line at freekicks...
1)
2)
I love how on the first one my 2 players went in the goal mouth after he stuck the guy on the line, so I thought I'd dink it over the wall.
On the second one I like how the guy on the line seemed to get in the goalies way, so it backfired on the guy!

Did the commentaror really say he will never score another goal in his career like that hahahah

Coop mode is the best of this Beta so far
It's very fun even with mad random players, imagine how it will be playing with skilled friend or two
This is what i wil be playing next 2 years - 2 on 2 with manual controls :RSCARF:

Bingo. This is a selection from top players and how many games? 100? I am not saying its not possible. The main issue it happens way to often in PES 17/18 even with avarage players. I see in 9/10 games rockets shots. Lets make it short:

Do you find the shots in PES 17/18 overall (way) to hard/rocket like?
Do you think that palyer stats and position does not play a big role when it comes to shooting compared to older PES games as PES6?

Not bingo at all I'm afraid. As I already explained it is somebody's personal selection of goals scored by players using their weaker foot. It isn't ALL of them and as I also already explained it doesn't document how many times a player has simply caught it flush and on or near-on target when using their weaker foot.

This 9/10 times you see a rocket shot in a game of PES2018...

Erm... and?

A player putting his foot through the ball is often the rule and not exception when considering a shot from distance especially. I would go as far to say when a player looks to strike the ball with his weaker foot he will more than likely opt to swing at it. I'm honestly really struggling with your objection to the shooting in the game as it stands currently for the reasons you have given. In most my matches my opponents are trying to bear down right on goal as opposed to blasting a shot from anywhere and with anybody.

As for player stats not playing a role/as big a role as older PES': I'm not having it. At all.

It will be a complete ball-ache, but I think I am going to record, cut and edit every single strike on goal over three matches into one video, because this rocket shot claim is complete and utter nonsense in my opinion.

In the meantime, here are a couple of examples of rocket shots in which positioning, placement and player stats meant absolutely nothing. Pay particular attention to the second effort in which the right footed Renato Augusto rockets the ball goalwards with a thunderous left foot strike because things like weak foot and stats don't matter in this game...

It will be a complete ball-ache, but I think I am going to record, cut and edit every single strike on goal over three matches into one video, because this rocket shot claim is complete and utter nonsense in my opinion.

So in your opinion the shots in PES 2018 are overall right and not to strong/rocket like?

edit:

Just searched for gameplayvideos and picked one randomly.

At 6.37min mark. You see this kind of rockets shots to often even with players who don't have that good shooting stats. Its not only the speed of the shot but also the precision. Just one example.

Last edited:

Show me the Varane one then :)

Or a Lemar one https://twitter.com/LAM_0904/status/888104096435130370

anyways the point is that every single player in PES18 shoots the exact same way, regardless of what foot they strike the ball with. It's like stats have absolutely no impact.

OMG! :LMAO: I watched it 5 times and laughed every time...
Talk about a pure strike ... I wonder how far it would have traveled (to the parking lot) if there was no net stopping it....Hopefully this gets fixed.
It's like the balls on a wire...with no bend from 40yrds. Like a cannon. Wonder what his shooting power is? 80?
80 power acts like 90 power. All player shooting power should be turned down 10 points.

this is were all problem lies, in the player abilities. Konami developers need to do a better job setting up player abilities.

Last edited:
Can't make my mind up if dribbling is over powered. Seems after more games players are going on these mazie runs , changing direction really quick as they sprint..i have a feeling it will be hard work online

Can't make my mind up if dribbling is over powered. Seems after more games players are going on these mazie runs , changing direction really quick as they sprint..i have a feeling it will be hard work online

I don't think dribbling itself is the problem. I think the issue is defending. A) You can't jockey backwards at anything but a glacial pace, and B) You can't turn without losing all acceleration.

Look at how Rio defends in the first and third clip for an example of how defending should be:

Last edited:
So in your opinion the shots in PES 2018 are overall right and not to strong/rocket like?

edit:

Just searched for gameplayvideos and picked one randomly.

At 6.37min mark. You see this kind of rockets shots to often even with players who don't have that good shooting stats. Its not only the speed of the shot but also the precision. Just one example.

Right, Wait a minute. You posted a video that is 17 minutes and 33 seconds long and pick out one instance in that video which just happens to be Paul Pogba, who is listed as being both right or two-footed, smacking one with his right and from distance (he is also known for having a thunderous shot from distance) and say: "This happens 9/10 in every match"

See if that was actually 17 minutes and 33 seconds of a real match and Paul Pogba had fired a shot off exactly like that, once, in that period of play, would that also be unrealistic?

If it was 17 minutes and 33 seconds of highlights of a real match and in that edited highlights package Paul Pogba had a go from range, would that too be unrealistic? Really?

It's Paul Pogba. It's a world class player in real life and in the game doing something he is known for. Once. In 17 minutes and 33 seconds.

That is you illustrating frequency and how any player can smack them like that?

I think half the problem is that A) You can't jockey backwards at anything but a glacial pace, and B) You can't turn without losing all acceleration.

Look at how Rio defends in the first and third clip for an example of how defending should be. In its current state it's too primitive:

agree, to much thinking goes into offensive side of a defensive sport......:DOH:

On the subject of power shots using weaker feet, could it be a result of manual shooting? In one of my first few games I also scored a right footed rocket shot with Marcelo (loved it tbh at the time) but figured it was because of manual minimising all of his stats.

Last edited:
OMG! :LMAO: I watched it 5 times and laughed every time...
Talk about a pure strike ... I wonder how far it would have traveled (to the parking lot) if there was no net stopping it....Hopefully this gets fixed.
It's like the balls on a wire...with no bend from 40yrds. Like a cannon. Wonder what his shooting power is? 80?
80 power acts like 90 power. All player shooting power should be turned down 10 points.

this is were all problem lies, in the player abilities. Konami developers need to do a better job setting up player abilities.

*Gets mad*

*Posts 5 random you tube clips of shots going in an infinite straight line*

Can I post a you tube clip of a real game with no fouls and claim it's fine for PES 18 :LMAO:

@Northzzz

I use auto shooting.

See if that was actually 17 minutes and 33 seconds of a real match and Paul Pogba had fired a shot off exactly like that, once, in that period of play, would that also be unrealistic?

You just don't get it. It depends on your playstyle. When I only use crosses I will not see any rocket shots but when I go for distance shots I will see many of them in one game which should not be the case! Make it simple: When I hit 10 distance shots and most of them are rocket shots with avarage and star players, with wrong foot than the shooting is not right which is the case. You also keep avoiding my question: "So in your opinion the shots in PES 2018 are overall fine and not to strong/rocket like?"
I mean the wenb forum is full of criticism about the shooting : http://winningelevenblog.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24502&start=980

"Almost everyone is criticising shooting yet no words from anyone at Konami besides we are improving shooting animations, and others saying the code i played was miles better... Yet when the Game is Out almost all the problems still there..."

...but what ever. This is my final word on this topic:

Every player can now and then perform a rocket shot with weaker foot and you see this kind of rocket shots to often So the heart of the problem is that it's just too easy to pull off these shots. If shooting was more difficult, contextual, individualistic, and made you feel like you really scored the goal instead of just pressing a button and waiting for the outcome.
In the past when shooting was great and rewarding, we know we achieved something when we scored a goal like that, speccially with default ML players. It was a junction of stats, form arrow, monentum and balance and position, all things that get lost in the way to what we have nowadays. Every single player in PES18 shoots the exact same way (rocket shots), regardless of what foot they strike the ball with. It's like shooting stats have nearly zero impact.

Last edited:
Just played 2 coop matches against AI on professional level
All ended 2-2
What a dramatic matches
For me this mode is one of the best new features, hope Konami will develope the idea
Best experiens of the new game

@Northzzz

I use auto shooting.

You just don't get it. It depends on your playstyle. When I only use crosses I will not see any rocket shots but when I go for distance shots I will see many of them in one game which should not be the case! Make it simple: When I hit 10 distance shots and most of them are rocket shots with avarage and star players, with wrong foot than the shooting is not right which is the case. You also keep avoiding my question: "So in your opinion the shots in PES 2018 are overall right and not to strong/rocket like?"
I mean the wenb forum is full of criticism about the shooting : http://winningelevenblog.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24502&start=980

"Almost everyone is criticising shooting yet no words from anyone at Konami besides we are improving shooting animations, and others saying the code i played was miles better... Yet when the Game is Out almost all the problems still there..."

...but what ever. This is my final word on this topic:

Every player can now and then perform a rocket shot with weaker foot and you see this kind of rocket shots to often So the heart of the problem is that it's just too easy to pull off these shots. If shooting was more difficult, contextual, individualistic, and made you feel like you really scored the goal instead of just pressing a button and waiting for the outcome.
In the past when shooting was great and rewarding, we know we achieved something when we scored a goal like that, speccially with default ML players. It was a junction of stats, form arrow, monentum and balance and position, all things that get lost in the way to what we have nowadays. Every single player in PES18 shoots the exact same way (rocket shots), regardless of what foot they strike the ball with. It's like shooting stats have nearly zero impact.

Don't worry, I know what you mean because I've tried a ton of rocket shots when I'm a few goals up. I haven't scored any but they do always go very close to goal, which is what I think you're talking about.

I just watched the entirety of that video Power posted. The Paul Pogba shot was one of maybe four shots that were hit on or near target with any threat over the entire 17 minutes and 33 seconds of play. Griezmann's goal was actually cooly taken and looked pretty sweet in the replay, considering it came from it breaking to him in a crowded box.

Yeah, that video doesn't do the "rocket shots are too easy and frequent" claim any favours. In fact, there are a few examples of shooting being subject to a number of factors that resulted in error in execution. Some of the efforts on goal were pretty shocking in actual fact. It is quite consistent with my own experience.

Back
Top Bottom