PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

I see the occasional tussle at ground level. I hope they improve that , reduce the length of the stumble animation and introduce jostling for balls in the air. But don't turn it into FIFA style rugby.

I totally understand what Kobayashi is saying about part of the game being a tactical challenge to cut out, say, spamming through balls, but real life football doesn't play that way. Teams don't set up their defensive formations and style of defending to cut out 60-70 yard raking through passes because people almost never attempt them, due to it being incredibly hard to do. Most through passes come when attackers break forward and are in extremely advanced positions, usually with only the defence in front of them. Look at Barcelona for example, a large number of goals come from through passes by midfielders in very advanced positions, usually 25 yards or so from goal, and often by playing in the wide attackers who cut into the box across and between defenders. PES however allows you to stand around on the ball halfway in your half, with both your and the opposition teams in front of you, let still find a striker through on goal with a 60 yard ball that dissects the entire field of play. That happens once in a blue moon in real life.

In real life, even the top players in the world get a tiny percentage of through balls pinpoint to their strikers. PES allows through balls to be way too effective. Heck, even the AI in single player tries to beat you using it. Fact is, in single player admittedly, you can get a massively high percentage of through balls to your strikers simply by hitting triangle and just aiming at the other team's goal. Even from 60 yards away, it'll rake straight through the defence. And that ain't right, no matter how well you can learn to defend against it.

For PES2012 I'd love to see the throughball button made completely useless other than when you're 30-40 yards from goal, and the power you can hit severly reduced so that it becomes more of a deft, delicate passing button that can squeeze passes between defenders when you've done the hard work and maneuvered yourself into a good attacking postition to begin with. None of this Pique hammering a random, aimless 70 yard pass that beats 20 players and results in a goal malarkey.

Last edited:
kobayashi/klash... I normally agree with your view on the game, but in that post you just sound like an ass!

"Ping-pong passing" isn't quite on FIFA 09/10 levels in PES 2011, but it's definitely too easy to knock the ball around quickly with first time passes, even blind passes go directly to feet.
It's also the "kryptonite" (as Jimmy put it) to the defending system - yes, you can use secondary pressure and use super cancel to cut out through balls, but there are some angles where your player will simply let the ball roll past them, even if they're inches from it and have time to react... Nothing you can do.

Yes, i went in raw like an ass. Thing is the guy is moaning, the guys point is poor. He's sounds like he's having issues and can't take being beaten so he calling the game shit for the deflect he fact he can't take not being a god at the game.

He's calling everyone who likes the game an idiot. I'm sorry but if he's saying that he's a moaner and i can't take him seriously.

Yeah on MLO the average player with a strong team just spam passes upfield (it's not ping pong, i don't define it was that) It works, they do get wins, but it's not super effective as he's alluding to. Even where there are criminally not enough 'blocking or intercepting animations to prevent through balls!

Also, if I can do this type of passing myself, it's nothing to do about sucking at defending (the age old football game excuse).

It's well known that the jostling system in PES 2011 sucks, making aerial battles and passed headers unrealistic, so no, Stoke's style doesn't work in this game. Even setting up Stoke City with your tactics, I get more success with them by keeping the ball on the ground playing intricate passing football, completely unrealistic. So is the fact that target men are nearly completely useless as super cancel means you can win headers with just about anybody anyway.

Hmmm i get what you mean about winning headers with everybody, Especially with goal kicks, when two players are 'locked in',, the jostle is just too basic and it's kinda rubbish really. It's something i've tried i've to do in pretty much every game, even with a tiny player when a long ball comes or a cross i try to get him to bring it to feet which is too effective atm because the jostling system int he air is way too basic.

As for the stoke like play, i've got it to work online when i needed it, I'm someone who usually tries to play like Arsenal with everyone (I'm a gooner) but i do think on this game adapting to you teams strengths is the best way to play. Even on 10 minutes MLO where passing is easier (like you said, blind passes going straight to feet etc..) and where there are less sim aspects, you do have to adapt a bit still :)

Stoke haven't been as over-reliant on long balls as of late. I think they're getting bad rep on here personally as they've been playing some nice football down the wings lately. Continental stuff.

Birmingham have been the biggest offenders as of late of over-physicality and hoofing the ball.

Last edited:
I totally understand what Kobayashi is saying about part of the game being a tactical challenge to cut out, say, spamming through balls, but real life football doesn't play that way. Teams don't set up their defensive formations and style of defending to cut out 60-70 yard raking through passes because people almost never attempt them, due to it being incredibly hard to do. Most through passes come when attackers break forward and are in extremely advanced positions, usually with only the defence in front of them. Look at Barcelona for example, a large number of goals come from through passes by midfielders in very advanced positions, usually 25 yards or so from goal, and often by playing in the wide attackers who cut into the box across and between defenders. PES however allows you to stand around on the ball halfway in your half, with both your and the opposition teams in front of you, let still find a striker through on goal with a 60 yard ball that dissects the entire field of play. That happens once in a blue moon in real life.

In real life, even the top players in the world get a tiny percentage of through balls pinpoint to their strikers. PES allows through balls to be way too effective. Heck, even the AI in single player tries to beat you using it. Fact is, in single player admittedly, you can get a massively high percentage of through balls to your strikers simply by hitting triangle and just aiming at the other team's goal. Even from 60 yards away, it'll rake straight through the defence. And that ain't right, no matter how well you can learn to defend against it.

For PES2012 I'd love to see the throughball button made completely useless other than when you're 30-40 yards from goal, and the power you can hit severly reduced so that it becomes more of a deft, delicate passing button that can squeeze passes between defenders when you've done the hard work and maneuvered yourself into a good attacking postition to begin with. None of this Pique hammering a random, aimless 70 yard pass that beats 20 players and results in a goal malarkey.

That's the thing, i mean your right, it's just because i've been playing games on 25/30 minutes where at times the through ball is completely ineffective. it's like i just wonder if Konami think that in 10 minute or 15 does the through ball need to be this accuracy and powerful so people can score? Bad isn't it, that they have to dub it down. In 10/15 minute games i would like to see more error in the through balls but imo more so to make it very erratic, so much to the extent people would question maybe it's better for them to use the manual one for the precision rather than rely on the computer.

Yes he is. Too lazy to remember his Klashman password ;)

Ah, gotta love it :)

Now, I'm excited for news in a couple of days! I reckon we may have an in-studio video with Seabass, like last year. What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Paulo Tavares

Don't think it was posted.

Jon Murphy:
PES2012 announcement expected in a few days. Seabass will be talking about some key improvements. #PES2012 #Seabass

edit: or maybe it was...

Ah, gotta love it :)

Now, I'm excited for news in a couple of days! I reckon we may have an in-studio video with Seabass, like last year. What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Paulo Tavares

Don't think it was posted.

Jon Murphy:

edit: or maybe it was...

Your prediction seems to be on the spot :)

I hope Seabass tells us something new, something we want to hear and nothing gimmicky like the Teamvision thing.

Trouble with wenb is they over hype the game lads. Lookin forward to more news though having said that

Trouble with wenb is they over hype the game lads. Lookin forward to more news though having said that

Yeah we've all been burned by them many times before. Just saying that if they are doing a podcast just before the weekend then there must be something to talk about.

Can't wait.

For the love of God, please make the announcement:
"Custom/Local/Country in Master League Online (i.e. Groupings/Sub-leagues)"

So I can play other Australians exclusively (no offense to foreigners, it's the LAG! It's crippling everyone)

By the way. I've had a GREAT time playing "Enslaved : Odyssey to the West" and "Spider-Man : Shattered Dimensions" in my Pro Evo Hiatus...!

(I'm not playing Pro Evo till the next 2012 version, I'm over the current 2011 one)

I think we've had this chat before but you're on PS3? I'm in Australia on Xbox 360. Have the occasional game with another Aussie and 95% of the time they're lag free and awesome.

Yeah we've all been burned by them many times before. Just saying that if they are doing a podcast just before the weekend then there must be something to talk about.

Can't wait.
Not a big fan of their poddies to be honest with ya. they often just talk rubbish and dont give out much in the way of info like.

What konami should do for at least the pc version is have unlimited team and player slots and fully customizable league structures so we can create lower division teams and add them to master league.

one can only dream but i can understand why its not feasable in todays consoles.

Seriously why do game developers HAVE to wait on next gen consoles to arrive before making some amazing high tech in depth games? why not start developing for the pc platform? Iron out all the issues and bugs, get use to developing for high end next gen machines and by the time these new consoles come out, the developers will have lots of knowledge on what to do.

Piracy ratio on PC vs. consoles ;) PES isn't pure (or mostly pure) online title, so it can be played ad nauseam in offline mode, unlike most of the top selling PC titles you mention, which do not offer that much in offline modes.

i think you be surprised at your "ratio". consoles get pirates a lot more then pc's in countries around asia who have the biggest population in the world.

People from asia can afford a ps3 or 360 compared to a gaming pc.

Sounds like the announcement is coming tomorrow.

I say we need a comprehensive decision right here and now so it doesn't need to be brought up ever again.

So guys which is better 360, Ps3 or PC?

(please don't answer seriously)

Back
Top Bottom