PES 2011 Master League Online beta Feedback thread

Final Verdict
I'm not even going in to the improved animations, cameras etc. because I don't need to. If you are a football fan (or soccer for my american friends), PES 2011 is the closest you're going to get to the real thing this year. It's like playing chess for the first time after a lifetime of playing checkers.

btw.. does anyone know if you can get the beta in north america? I was not trying not get excited over PES 2011 impressions but after seeing gameplay videos of the online beta today.. I'm so impressed now and jealous of you guys who are playing it. The pace of the game is absolutely brilliant looking in the videos I seen today. I can't believe it's online gameplay looking this good even.. the pace and realism is here in this game when I watch those videos.. this for sure looks like the more tactical and sim footie game. and if online works and has the pace of gameplay I seen in the vidoes today.. I could see myself once again becoming very addicted and playing a footie game year round for once since the PS2 days.

Well, I managed to acquire (ahem) the MLO beta trial this evening and have sneaked in a couple of games before I've got to get to bed for an early start tomorrow.

My first impressions are, quite simply, this is a different game. Yes it still looks and feels like PES but the gameplay has to be relearned almost entirely. It's what I've been wanting from PES for many years now and while it's long overdue it's very much welcome. This game is tough and very technical (edit - the pace of the game is spot on) but it's got that 'one more go' factor that PES used to have. It's far from perfect but I think this game will win back most of the PES fans that left the series in recent years. I cant wait for the demo to see how Konami have improved and polished this E3 build.

Fifa will have to do something very special this year to get my attention.

Regarding the Master League Online - it's a nice idea and I'm sure it will be insanely popular, but I don't think it's for me. I don't like playing randoms in one-off matches, I prefer to be a part of an organised league structure. Unless of course there is an option for closed private leagues with only one instance of each player and team. Then I will be very interested.

Yep I'll check out the demo mate.:))

Pardon my ignorance but what percentage in code is the MLO Beta around?

I imagine around 70-80%? It a fair few months old and is missing a few features that'll be in the final code i.e. improved GKs, defensive tracking (as Mart says) and extra transition animations.

I really think his negative review is due to a difference in gameplay based on what console you play it on. The PS3 version perhaps being the better one?

I say this because there is a huge difference in gameplay/ pace/animations/graphics that can be seen on these vids.

The PS3 vids look much more realistic and improved from PES10. The 360 vids however are the opposite.

I think there are a few differences, but it's mainly down to how these people are playing the game. I've come up against quite a range of play today. From people playing the game for the first time trying to sprint down the wings or hoof the ball up for a cheap goal to others who have torn apart my midfield and defence with their passing, to others who have slowed the game right down.

I'll be honest, if I could choose a console to play it on, it would be the PS3 as it's the lead console for PES (no?), for the editing/chants import and more importantly the controller. But, as my current TV is a pile of crap and doesn't have HDCP I'm stuck on the 360 unless I play games through the scart port :CONFUSE:. I have, however, found a solution. I'm playing on a PS2>360 controller converter (which is excellent) and to be honest it feels like a different game. It feels a lot more responsive on the larger analogue sticks of the PS2 controller compared to the chunky 360 controller.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to add, online is super-smooth. I don't have luxury of a wired connection so for both the PS3 and 360 I'm on wireless. I have to say 9/10 matches have been lag free for me.

simply amazing.. I can't wait! I actually never thought konami would be able to have good online after I tried PES 2010 last year online. I can't believe they got the pace PERFECT for even online gameplay... in the past.. the game would completely change online and speed up and play way to fast online for my liking.

I wouldn't say online is super smooth from the two games I've just played. I'm not sure where the first guy was from but the game was a bit choppy, not laggy but not entirely smooth. The second opponent was from Germany and the game was smoother but froze for about 5 seconds at one point. Both had 1 red bar connection. I have a quick broadband service so there shouldn't be any problems here.

I imagine around 70-80%? It a fair few months old and is missing a few features that'll be in the final code i.e. improved GKs, defensive tracking (as Mart says) and extra transition animations.

I think there are a few differences, but it's mainly down to how these people are playing the game. I've come up against quite a range of play today. From people playing the game for the first time trying to sprint down the wings or hoof the ball up for a cheap goal to others who have torn apart my midfield and defence with their passing, to others who have slowed the game right down.

I'll be honest, if I could choose a console to play it on, it would be the PS3 as it's the lead console for PES (no?), for the editing/chants import and more importantly the controller. But, as my current TV is a pile of crap and doesn't have HDCP I'm stuck on the 360 unless I play games through the scart port :CONFUSE:. I have, however, found a solution. I'm playing on a PS2>360 controller converter (which is excellent) and to be honest it feels like a different game. It feels a lot more responsive on the larger analogue sticks of the PS2 controller compared to the chunky 360 controller.

My brother has the PS3 beta, (hes one of them plays pes6 mod edition on the pc type of guys) i played two games myself and although I prefer the PS3 controller for PES, i still felt the rigid-clunky feeling like the 360 version plus the 360 version in my eyes looks a tad sharper, especially the pitch. That could be different calibrated tvs though!

I really wish I was enjoying this as much as you guys, I play a passing game, switching the play to the wings, bringing the forward into play to the hold the ball up, never went for all that run, run, run (i got so annoyed with people online once, one day I sent two guys messages saying "left wing run, right wing run":LMAO:

Please keep this thread for feedback chat only. Any irrelevant posts will be deleted or moved. Thanks.

Last edited:
animations: same pes2010, but more fluids, ¿360º? yes but no it's totally good..
maybe the are new moves and shoots..but is bite..

goalkeepers: bads situations, and goods situations...in a lot of corner kicks are worst...

i want more fans singing...more colours...

Is it me or does after every game it takes a couple of minutes to get back to the main menu. There is always a green circle in the bottom corner

Is it me or does after every game it takes a couple of minutes to get back to the main menu. There is always a green circle in the bottom corner

I get this too. Played about 8 games all red ping.

I am not too impressed atm, but I think I will reserve judgement until I try with green ping and some better players.

I am also finding it hard with the crappy camera angle. Sometimes it can't keep upwith the ball.

I get this too. Played about 8 games all red ping.

I am not too impressed atm, but I think I will reserve judgement until I try with green ping and some better players.

I am also finding it hard with the crappy camera angle. Sometimes it can't keep upwith the ball.

try and get a pause during the game, there is a option to change it, i changed to widecam long and it was much better for following the ball.

I'm starting to think there's a difference between the PS3 and 360 codes. I've had red connections all the time but the games were almost lag-free. And no issues with camera as well.

try and get a pause during the game, there is a option to change it, i changed to widecam long and it was much better for following the ball.

Cheers for that. I think that will make a difference.

Does it remember the setting? I will give it a go tomorrow.

Cheers for that. I think that will make a difference.

Does it remember the setting? I will give it a go tomorrow.

it didnt remember for me mate, maybe because i had to keep going back to the xbox dashboard due to freezing issues once a match had been completed.

Re: PES 2011 Discussion thread (!!!NO BETA SHARING REQUESTS IN HERE!!!)

I'll leave my short impressions here, for now.

I'm liking the mode a lot, I can see it being played by many people a lot. I'm still on D5, but aligned for a promotion. I managed to participate in a Cup, but the servers went tits up during the knockout stage. I played a Dutch guy who wasn't there, somehow, so I ended up scoring a single goal just to avoid penalties, and not to penalize him much... Strangely enough, I was just playing a Coach mode cup as well, but it went bonkers as well after the qualifying matches.

As Lami said, the competitions are where you get your money's worth. Each game is bringing me 350k, I pay 150k to enter, and play at least 3 games. I'm liking it.

It's an interesting system, and together with the market valuations should provide a lot of fun for those willing to explore it.

The games and lag were so and so. I had several games with little lag, some with moderate lag, but nothing that would significantly hurt the experience, I guess. Still, it should be fixed - and I think that the lag is worse in Wide camera than in Normal Long (the default one). Maybe it's my mind playing tricks.

Regarding gameplay, I'm liking it quite a lot. It's different enough and refreshing. I still haven't used the feints, nor the full-manual passing (L2 + buttons... the pain), but the passing as is is already pretty flexible and powerful. Since there's no training mode, I wasn't able to try and master it.

The camera is another thing I'm not liking at the moment - and this is down to personal taste. Sure enough, it's really nice to look at, but when you're trying to control a player parallel to the sideline, or trying to aim a pass with the new system, I just couldn't get to grips with it. Maybe with time - or hopefully we can choose to play in a camera which doesn't pan.

Well, sorry for being late - and for being short.

I hope you guys have a blast with it. I'll be off tomorrow, but I'll definitely be following your updates.

Regards,

Paulo Tavares

I just had one where the game was freezing every 2 seconds for about half a second. Agony. The other guy quit, mercifully. Hopefully he went off to get broadband.

The player switching really doesn't want you to pick a defender. Even if your midfield is stranded up the pitch and has nothing to do but chase back, it is really, really reluctant to let you switch to a defender to pick up a runner.

One of the things this game desperately needs is the ability to control your speed when you're defending. The jockey isn't up to much at low speeds and when the opposition gets up to full speed on the wing and you're going faster, you can either try and run into them without pressing anything and be very likely to overshoot, you can try and release sprint to slow down into the ball and be likely to undershoot, or you can press X and towards the ball and watch your player stutter and let the winger fly past. Similarly, if you're trying to track a player's run the controls are too unsubtle for you to hug the defensive line without losing your momentum and being flatfooted when a throughball comes in.

Definitely enjoying it more now though. I'm just having to learn not to go mental when the keeper costs me a goal and the other guy makes me watch the full celebration and replays as if he did anything to deserve it.

Just sold a few players off and signed Albin (Uruguayan SS/LM, seems pretty good on the ball), Lee Chung Yong and the Belgian DMF Simons. If I get a chance I'm going to re-sign whoever it was I bought first time round before I ran out of money and reset my Blackpool team (not realising what releasing a player did!). Managed one full game with Simons in the line-up before the connection fiasco and then bedtime; you could definitely see his defensive awareness and mental/physical strength making a difference in place of Dodo, who will shortly be going the way of the, y'know... Now that the players actually move and control like footballers it's a lot easier to assimilate the information the play on the pitch is feeding you. I just need to learn how to score now - I've had a ridiculous amount of 0-0's so far.

Funny that it's a MLO beta but we're all talking about the gameplay! Got to say Online ML does seem pretty solid indeed. Nothing like the name suggests really, but a potentially great mode nevertheless. The interesting thing will be seeing how the game balances out after several months but that's obviously where the market setup will come into play. Good little reward for first day buyers to get all the best deals while those joining late will have to wheel and deal a bit more! Bit of a shame there aren't any stat filter options besides OVR, but I guess that's to stop people just signing whoever the CPU recommends (which would be the same for everyone).

Is there a reason to worry about the age of a player? You can filter it at the moment. Will MLO age players after 'seasons' have passed?

So I've been playing more, and there is alot of promise in this, but its just not back, not yet for me. I cant help but think if this had been the game in 08 or 09....sigh.

Hopefully EA deliver.

So I've been playing more, and there is alot of promise in this, but its just not back, not yet for me. I cant help but think if this had been the game in 08 or 09....sigh.

Hopefully EA deliver.

What version mate?

Nevermind mate. Just went back and read your previous post. I see you played it for the 360 which is starting to make sense why your disliking it. It seems the PS3 version plays smoother and more polished.

Last edited:
What version mate?

Nevermind mate. Just went back and read your previous post. I see you played it for the 360 which is starting to make sense why your disliking it. It seems the PS3 version plays smoother and more polished.

Really? is that a theory or is it really confirmed by someone who has played both? Hopefully the latter, I really want two great games this year.

it must play different than it looks.. I haven't played it yet but I'm shocked to see mixed reviews of the demo. could this game just look a lot better than it plays maybe? just from watching the videos today.. this pes to me looks like one of the best and easily much better than any previous on PS3 . I would rather be playing this beta online than my Fifa World Cup online I keep playing at the moment that takes no football IQ to dominate.. u all are lucky to have the demo. one thing I'm noticing with these demo videos is this game looks like it takes some skill.. learning curve and football IQ to play the game and master it again. button mashers who like to run in gun with no skill will not be able to dominate in online matches like they seem to be in other footie games online. It's almost like konami is forcing people to play real football again to be successful at it. I can't wait to play it for myself.. hopefully I will like it as much as I do these videos and not be disappointed like before.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd add to that is player switching is still borked. I think this is partly down to the problem you mentioned on players not being active at times and that the passing kind of activates the wrong person for you.

They should fix this problem too.

OMG , i'm so disappointed from all videos .... :(
I expected much better animations, much better physics, but players are pushing each other without any change to animations and position like NES game , it seems ridiculous. Transfusion animations just missing , is very rare one to bind to another normal and natural . GK is just... so much stupid goals for so short time Oo . PLS guys , bring back realistic feedback to Konami ,they must be fixed the game ... is look good but.. is much far from Messi Teaser and from that what must be .

People who say its difficult to string passes sounds like people who have only played PES and not fifa.

in fifa, if you play on semi or manual its difficult/challenging and this seems like PES is very similar in that respect and that is a great thing.

Thanks rad, mjsmith and jcvf90 for answering my questions.

i do have one more to add though,

You say you can create your own master league team. does that mean i can name my team whatever i like and create my own kits and badge and assign a home stadium?

Is their a training mode in ML? Someone mentions cup competitions. How many cup competitions is their? 2 like in offline ML? are their cup competitions that involve "all" teams from across all divisions like a "fa cup" ?

Thanks again in advance for taking your time to answer my questions. so far everything sounds great and i may ditch FIFA 11 for PES. i feel this game sounds like "fifa 08" as in brand new engine and a game that finaly nails it like how ea nailed it win fifa 08.

PES 11 may not surpass fifa 11 in terms of gameplay just yet but i feel that PES 12 will definetly surpass fifa 12 unless EA start building a new engine as their is only soo much you can do with the same engine.

I hope i get a beta code today or is that it for now ie only yesterday was the day to get a beta code?

Fuck 3 hrs sleep was not nearly enough.

As far as impressions go it was great minus the automated crap that I mentioned in the discussion thread.

Online play was pretty stable even if it was on one bar, except when a screen was paused for substitutions or tactical changes, which resulted in about 15 seconds of slowdown once the game unpaused. The button lag is gone which is a bloody blessing as it killed the PES2010 online game. So far I have only ever had 1 game lost due to communication errors out of the 10 or so which is good but a bit worrying too considering we are only about a 1000 people online. I don't know if the servers could handle the masses logging in come release day.

Fuck 3 hrs sleep was not nearly enough.

As far as impressions go it was great minus the automated crap that I mentioned in the discussion thread.

Online play was pretty stable even if it was on one bar, except when a screen was paused for substitutions or tactical changes, which resulted in about 15 seconds of slowdown once the game unpaused. The button lag is gone which is a bloody blessing as it killed the PES2010 online game. So far I have only ever had 1 game lost due to communication errors out of the 10 or so which is good but a bit worrying too considering we are only about a 1000 people online. I don't know if the servers could handle the masses logging in come release day.

I think people have forgotten this, how it plays online now regarding lag is probably immaterial unless it was poor...

Last edited:
But isn't that why the Beta was sent out. Is it to test the online game or the stability of the game online.
Sorry I need sleep so I'm retarded.

2 things I love about this game is they gave it more freedom with the semi manual passing but they maintanined the player individuality. Minanda carries the midfield and you feel that. Players like him were shafted for the speed merchants over the years.

As far as collision detection goes I am happy with player-player and ball-player interaction. I did notice this one instance that my gk seemed to hover to take a high ball but that could be a bug as I only noticed it once.

I wouldn't say online is super smooth from the two games I've just played. I'm not sure where the first guy was from but the game was a bit choppy, not laggy but not entirely smooth. The second opponent was from Germany and the game was smoother but froze for about 5 seconds at one point. Both had 1 red bar connection. I have a quick broadband service so there shouldn't be any problems here.

It's been mostly laggy for me. Playable but laggy so I can't really judge the gameplay too much

Back
Top Bottom